Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendigo View Post
Sounds like some defensive driving is needed, if you can't merge and cut across 2 lanes you should
not be on the road. ANYONE NOT CONFIDENT IN THEIR SKILLS SHOULD NOT BE ON THE ROADS...
NO IF ANs OR BUTS.

to old? Don't drive Blind in1 eye ? don't drive Stiff neck ? Don't drive
Car can't get up to speed
cuz it's a 1992 dodge shadow? Get off the road

Driving is a privilege not a right.
I will leave your drama inducing post for others..
Old 03-15-2021, 08:48 AM

I can't see the limits being raised only because these low limits make it easier to collect tax in the form of speeding tickets.
Traffic enforcement only exists to raise money.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:10 AM

I drove back and forth to Arizona for 11 years when we had the house down there, the speed limit on most interstate highways in the US is 75 MPH ( 120 KMH ) and in some states it's 80 MPH ( 130 KPH ) the traffic flows along nice, never felt like I was going to fast, you can sure make time when the cruse is set at 130 most of the day.
I will say though their roads are better than ours for sure, 130 on the yellowhead west of Edmonton could throw you in the ditch or knock your wheels off in the holes

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Sounds like some defensive driving is needed, if you can't merge and cut across 2 lanes you should not be on the road. ANYONE NOT CONFIDENT IN THEIR SKILLS SHOULD NOT BE ON THE ROADS...NO IF ANs OR BUTS.

to old? Don't drive
Blind in1 eye ? don't drive
Stiff neck ? Don't drive
Car can't get up to speed cuz it's a 1992 dodge shadow? Get off the road

This is first guy that needs his license torn up.

Mr. Wheeler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HocJyvZxWWk

Last edited by bat119; 03-15-2021 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
If everyone is now doing 135+km/hr instead of their current 120+, I can only imagine that attempting to
enter highways would be even more challenging.
Just think though, they'll be in your way for a shorter period of time!
Old 03-15-2021, 11:18 AM

Retired now and not usually in a hurry I set the cruise to the speed limit and try and get the best gas mileage I can, Especially now with fuel prices on the rise. I can save a few bucks on fuel but It's cost me a couple of windshields,
Nothin causes ROAD RAGE like a good smack in the windshield by someone going way to fast
Old 03-15-2021, 11:55 AM

I have no issue with increasing the limit to 120 on highways like qe2 and 16, but at 124 issue tickets. Penalty and points, no excuses. Photo radar with demerits on every 10th power pole might relax the go switch a little.

It has been pointed out many times that no matter what the limit is everyone is a professional driver in their own little mind, and everyone else on the road is inferior to them.

It is funny as hell when someone gets a ticket because there is a new RCMP officer on the road, all bent out of shape and butthurt because the last one was lax in their duties, more than likely just plain tired of the whining and excuses.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-15-2021, 11:59 AM

Driving attitudes haven't changed much since 1950

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn4tcyCDU-I
Old 03-15-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Driving attitudes haven't changed much since 1950

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn4tcyCDU-I
Yep, drivers in North America in a nutshell. Coming over from Germany, it took me a while to collect my jaw off the floor when I saw how people are driving here.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:42 PM

Nice thing about 120-140km speed limits in Alberta, the fools will be nailing lot of deer, elk and moose. Then us trappers will have lots of road kill for bait, hope they let us take the human bodies as well for bait.
Old 03-15-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Nice thing about 120-140km speed limits in Alberta, the fools will be nailing lot of deer, elk and moose. Then us trappers will have lots of road kill for bait, hope they let us take the human bodies as well for bait.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Sounds like some defensive driving is needed, if you can't merge and cut across 2 lanes you should not be on the road. ANYONE NOT CONFIDENT IN THEIR SKILLS SHOULD NOT BE ON THE ROADS...NO IF ANs OR BUTS.

to old? Don't drive
Stiff neck ? Don't drive

Lol , your correct , and you definitely sound privileged .
Old 03-15-2021, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
Lol , your correct , and you definitely sound privileged .
It's too bad that for each post there isnt a thumbs up or thumbs down option like youtube.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:45 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
It's too bad that for each post there isnt a thumbs up or thumbs down option like youtube.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-15-2021, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lab View Post
Lol! The solution is to get rid of every photo radar and ghost car....
Raise it to a buck 20 and include everyone!
Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krthegunslinger View Post
Get rid of the speed limit. It will cost lives but the idiots will get sorted out eventually. Speed kills period. Look at the stats for exertion on the body in a MVA as speeds get above 100km. Speaks for itself.
Natural selection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
The Coquihalla used to have a speed limit of 110km/h. Everyone did 120 - 130km/h. Now it has a speed limit of 120km/h. Everyone still does 120 - 130km/h.

People really need to learn how to use cruise control on the highway too. I've lose count of the amount of times I end up playing leapfrog with some inbred hillbilly cousin kisser because they don't know how to maintain a speed while I just leave my cruise control set. Of course, they think I'm the arsehole every time I pass them
Just rediculous how so many have such a hard time maintaining their speed, whatever speed they choose.

My favourite is the guy that sees you in his rear view about to pass and steps on it, just to slow down again when you choose to not pass him
My cousin does this, I tried explaining he is being ignorant, he dosent really get what I'm layin down, and he still does it.

Poop or get off the pot!

Quote:
ANYONE NOT CONFIDENT IN THEIR SKILLS SHOULD NOT BE ON THE ROADS...
I also think the majority of people will not get carried away and do 140, 130 maybe but for most people I think 140 is pushing it. Just my opinion.

As for the confident comment I've been saying for years that a lot of people should be riding the bus in the winter. So many people lack basic driving skills and that just gets amplified in the winter. Winter driving just isn't for everyone, if you can't do it confidently, that's fine, don't do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I can't see the limits being raised only because these low limits make it easier to collect tax in the form of speeding tickets.
Traffic enforcement only exists to raise money.
. Don't mess with the cash cow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
130 on the yellowhead west of Edmonton could throw you in the ditch or knock your wheels off in the holes
Try that stretch on two wheels

One of our regular weekend rides includes a rip out to Wildwood, that stretch you mentioned is LETHAL. Im suprised there haven't been any fatalities on that stretch. Just mind boggling that whoever is responsible for that stretch thinks that is acceptable. Only the most seasoned riders in our group do that ride.

This is a good read.
https://priceonomics.com/is-every-speed-limit-too-low/
Old 03-15-2021, 07:46 PM

need another lane on the TC through Banff Park for the Ram Duellies with sled decks.
Limit is 90 unless you have sleds or are from BC, then its 120
Old 03-15-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV911 View Post
need another lane on the TC through Banff Park for the Ram Duellies with sled decks.
Limit is 90 unless you have sleds or are from BC, then its 120
Considering that the Trans Canada is the major coast to coast highway in this country, the stretch through the National parks is a joke. Not likely to change though.

Grizz
Old 03-15-2021, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Is that a problem?
Ya it is. Two lane highways with no shoulder with heavy traffic, plus the QE2 ain't of the Autobahn caliber.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post

It's in the emoji's just under the couch
Old 03-15-2021, 08:51 PM

Quote:

to old? Don't drive
Stiff neck ? Don't drive

Thumbs down
Old 03-15-2021, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Considering that the Trans Canada is the major coast to coast highway in this country, the stretch through the National parks is a joke. Not likely to change though.

Grizz
I agree 90 is too slow but it is still the limit.
If I think other laws are a joke, that means I can just ignore them?
Old 03-16-2021, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
Ya it is. Two lane highways with no shoulder with heavy traffic, plus the QE2 ain't of the Autobahn caliber.
I don't see it as one. Pretty sure they said it was only relevant to twinned highways as well.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV911 View Post
I agree 90 is too slow but it is still the limit.
If I think other laws are a joke, that means I can just ignore them?
That highway is the way it is because of considerations that it passes through a national Park and all the ramifications of that. Every time I hear of another accident, I say to myself, somebody else got tired of driving in convoy and pulled out to pass when they shouldn't have. Usually I'm right.

Grizz
Old 03-16-2021, 08:31 AM

I find it interesting, when on our motorcycle tours through the USA, with speed limits of 80mph in Utah, I don't feel any more at risk than doing 110km/hr here. Then again, there are people that are not safe at 100km/hr, due to health conditions, or vehicle issues. I would personally like to see more effort in getting those people off of the road, as they are more of a hazard than the person doing 120 in a 110 zone.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I find it interesting, when on our motorcycle tours through the USA, with speed limits of 80mph in Utah, I don't feel any more at risk than doing 110km/hr here. Then again, there are people that are not safe at 100km/hr, due to health conditions, or vehicle issues. I would personally like to see more effort in getting those people off of the road, as they are more of a hazard than the person doing 120 in a 110 zone.
I agree. Its like the people who drive with 4 way flashers on when they are not comfortable with the road conditions. They should simply not be on the road if they are uncomfortable. These people just create a much larger hazard for everyone around them.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I agree. Its like the people who drive with 4 way flashers on when they are not comfortable with the road conditions. They should simply not be on the road if they are uncomfortable. These people just create a much larger hazard for everyone around them.
I find that one of the most difficult things is to convince some seniors that they need to give up driving, because they just aren't safe anymore, because of vision, or reflexes etc. It seems cruel to take away their mobility, but it can save not only their lives, but others as well.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Don't forget Wyoming...Couldn't believe when I seen 80MPH limit..Woohoo.

Too bad I was pulling a trailer but 120k per hour was perfect..LOL
Old 03-16-2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Don't forget Wyoming...Couldn't believe when I seen 80MPH limit..Woohoo.

Too bad I was pulling a trailer but 120k per hour was perfect..LOL
Crossing the desert, 80mph is still too slow. But it's surprising when you are riding 80mph, and get passed by a vehicles that won't go ,much faster than that. lol
Old 03-16-2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I may be wrong but the 80 mph limits are only on the interstates are they not ?
The interstate highways do not have any level crossings . All the vehicles are traveling in the same direction . Also , I have never seen a combine or swather on an interstate . I have seen all kinds of farm equipment on highway 2 , 43 ,16 . comparing our highways to the interstate system south of the border is not apples to apples . As far as feeling safe at 80 mph its all relative . We cranked the bikes up to 100mph between PV and Mazatlan on the toll highway and some people were passing us . Where we disagree is that just because someone doesnt want to drive as fast as you , doesn't mean that they shouldn't be allowed on the road . The speed limits are a "maximum" , not a target .
Old 03-16-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Crossing the desert, 80mph is still too slow. But it's surprising when you are riding 80mph, and get passed by a vehicles that won't go ,much faster than that. lol
Driving through Phoenix I was doing 80 MPH a guy on a rat bike Harley passed me, tails lights dangling no helmet and wearing nothing but speedo's I thought if he hits the pavement there wouldn't be anything left but a red skid mark.