Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2021, 06:48 PM

Default Speed Limit increase to 120 kmph

Did not see this discussed anywhere else so thought I would post it.

A UCP MLA has put forth a private members bill to increase the speed limit on some of the highways in Alberta to 120 kmph.

Personally I think it is long overdue on the twinned highways in the province. Vehicles today are light years ahead in handling and safety compared to vehicles even 20 years ago.

Still mulling over in my mind if they should maybe limit heavy vehicles to a lower speed say 100 or 110 kmph like some other jurisdictions do.

Should be an interesting debate as I know the Edmonton Police Chief was stating the Henday limit should be increased to 110 kmph a couple of years back.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:59 PM

If the limit is changed trucks shouldn’t be excluded. The bigger variances in speed will cause issues. They should be able to flow with traffic.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
If the limit is changed trucks shouldn’t be excluded. The bigger variances in speed will cause issues. They should be able to flow with traffic.
Many places the heavy trucks stay in the slow lane. Not allowed to pass. Better this way as traffic flows without one heavy truck wanting to go 1 kph more than the other.

Flow with traffic is fine until hills are involved. Not happy when they drop 20 or more going up a hill then decide to go down the next hill 20 or more above the limit. Not safe overall.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Trucks should be excluded and limited to right line only, I would hate to see those haywires flying 140kmph in left line (they drive 120kmph today).
Old 03-14-2021, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
Many places the heavy trucks stay in the slow lane. Not allowed to pass. Better this way as traffic flows without one heavy truck wanting to go 1 kph more than the other.

Flow with traffic is fine until hills are involved. Not happy when they drop 20 or more going up a hill then decide to go down the next hill 20 or more above the limit. Not safe overall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight View Post
Trucks should be excluded and limited to right line only, I would hate to see those haywires flying 140kmph in left line (they drive 120kmph today).
I don’t disagree, but we would need 3 lane highways to do this. The trucks need to still pass other trucks or the idiot pulling a 32’ camper with their Corolla. If we had 3 lanes I would agree to no trucks in the far left lane.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:22 PM

Spoiler Alert, the speed limit is already 120+kph.
I'm comfy in the 112kph area and tailgaters are always rushing up now.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight View Post
You should drive one for a week. See how many haywire’s there are in four wheelers too. Lots of bad drivers everywhere.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I don’t disagree, but we would need 3 lane highways to do this. The trucks need to still pass other trucks or the idiot pulling a 32’ camper with their Corolla. If we had 3 lanes I would agree to no trucks in the far left lane.
Far too many vehicles pulling what they can't. If you can't pull it up the hill at speed limit then don't pull it.

Pulling trailers in Alberta needs to be addressed. Too many vehicles at the end of their limits on the road.

Heavy trucks fall into a different category. I get they will lose speed going up a hill. It's when they speed up going down the next one when I can pass that upsets me.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Even cops won’t do 110 or any other posted speed. 120 just let’s people think they can do 130 legally and 140 most of the time. Either way I don’t think it makes a big difference.

I do think trucks should be limited to the right lane at 110 regardless
Old 03-14-2021, 07:50 PM
Banned

Yep, put it to 120km/h and the new norm will be 140
Old 03-14-2021, 07:52 PM

The speed limit is the same in both lanes the "fast lane" is the passing lane, the biggest problem is when you come up to a slower moving vehicle and try to access the PASSING lane there is somebody that thinks it's for speeding.

Start with driver training then increase the speed limit.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Yup. Drive to Edmonton on QE2 and everyone is doing 120. Increase to 120 and everyone will be going 130.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-14-2021, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Yup. Drive to Edmonton on QE2 and everyone is doing 120. Increase to 120 and everyone will be going 130.
Is that a problem?
Old 03-14-2021, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Is that a problem?
When road conditions are good it wouldn’t make much difference. As soon as there is some light snow, black ice or even rain is when the problems will start. An extra 10 km/ hr makes a big difference in reaction times and stopping distance. Also the wind gusts that can happen will affect a vehicle more at higher speeds
Some big trucks are governed at 90k, and a lot are limited to 105k which will cause hazardous situations with people weaving in and out at 140 or so.
Old 03-14-2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Yep, put it to 120km/h and the new norm will be 140
Who drives slower on Yellow head and HW2 anyway?
Old 03-14-2021, 09:06 PM

We need these limits increased for sure. HWY 2 is about as straight and flat as it gets between Edmonton and Calgary. It can handle raised limits. As can henday
Old 03-14-2021, 09:07 PM

The solution is to raise the speed limit to 120, have unmarked photo radar cars travelling at 120 KPH anybody that passes get mailed a ticket...simple
Old 03-14-2021, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
The solution is to raise the speed limit to 120, have unmarked photo radar cars travelling at 120 KPH anybody that passes get mailed a ticket...simple
Lol! The solution is to get rid of every photo radar and ghost car....
Raise it to a buck 20 and include everyone!
Old 03-14-2021, 09:29 PM

Do like the states and have a passenger vehicle limit and a commercial truck limit. There is NO reason for 50 tons of steel/lumber/aggregate to be rolling down the highway at 120km.
I drive the coquihala every other week where it is posted 120km, commercial trucks not allowed in the far right lane when there are 3 lanes, and it seems to work. You get the odd numpty in a big rig that tries to pass the other 2 in the 2 right lanes but once I get past those I usually slow right down in front of them to put them in The back of the line for holding up traffic.
Also, the variable speed signs seem to work ok.
IMHO, stiffer penalties for commercial vehicles (and I’m registered commercial) should be applied and enforced.
120km on the QE2 would be no problem.
Old 03-14-2021, 09:53 PM

I just wondered how many demerit points the member proposing this had accumulated ?

Grizz
Old 03-14-2021, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
The speed limit is the same in both lanes the "fast lane" is the passing lane, the biggest problem is when you come up to a slower moving vehicle and try to access the PASSING lane there is somebody that thinks it's for speeding.

Start with driver training then increase the speed limit.
I’m couldn’t agree more. European drivers handle lanes way better that we do.
When I lived in the UK driving was like a ballet, it was a beautiful thing to watch and participate in.
I’m ashamed to say it but we really do drive like bumpkins on our highways.
A little education has to happen before we increase the speed limit.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:06 PM

Default No limit

Get rid of the speed limit. It will cost lives but the idiots will get sorted out eventually. Speed kills period. Look at the stats for exertion on the body in a MVA as speeds get above 100km. Speaks for itself.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krthegunslinger View Post
Get rid of the speed limit. It will cost lives but the idiots will get sorted out eventually. Speed kills period. Look at the stats for exertion on the body in a MVA as speeds get above 100km. Speaks for itself.
The unfortunate part is, it kills the innocent as well.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...lled-1.3331978

Grizz
Old 03-15-2021, 01:12 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Why are we in such a rush?
Some highways can have faster limits and be done safely but for the most part our very seasoned roads, narrow, should just remain as is.
Again cruising at 100 clicks gets you there safely....why 120 so you can beat me to the gas station...next set of lights?
Three lane highways that are new, wide etc but man our highway system in general is sketchy at the posted speeds already.....ohhhh and then toss in the drivers into the mix and in cab distractions...ohhhhh boy.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-15-2021, 02:04 AM

Default All vehicles are safety inspected annually in the UK..

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I’m couldn’t agree more. European drivers handle lanes way better that we do.
When I lived in the UK driving was like a ballet, it was a beautiful thing to watch and participate in.
I’m ashamed to say it but we really do drive like bumpkins on our highways.
A little education has to happen before we increase the speed limit.
Bring in vehicle inspections for passenger vehicles then. 120 in some of the junk allowed on our roads is insane. Bald mismatched tires at 120 ? Please not near me. Gonna suck up a lot of fuel too. If only we refined it here ourselves... Create some income for Alberta.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:20 AM

The Coquihalla used to have a speed limit of 110km/h. Everyone did 120 - 130km/h. Now it has a speed limit of 120km/h. Everyone still does 120 - 130km/h. They could bump the limit to 130 and very few people would start going 140. Most people will naturally drive at a speed that's reasonable for the road. Natually there's a percentage that drive like hooligans at way higher than reasonable and people that drive like morons at way lower than reasonable, but the majority always settle around the same speeds. There's multiple studies that roads have the artificially set limits and then the limit that the majority of people can safely and comfortably drive at.

I would love to see 3 lane highways with trucks restricted to the far right lane and the middle only when passing. That's not feasible due to cost though. So we should have proper enforcement on the highway. Instead of pulling over the guy doing 130 on a clear sunny day, pull over the shmuck doing 105 in the left lane or the big rig making a pass at 2km/h faster than the truck in front of him or on a hill. "Impeding the flow of traffic" is a penalty that needs to be applied much more often. Having people driving well below the limit or camping out in the passing lane because "I'm doing exactly the speed limit and I'm taking it upon myself to enforce it by blocking you" is the cause for road rage and more accidents than free flowing, higher speed traffic.

People really need to learn how to use cruise control on the highway too. I've lose count of the amount of times I end up playing leapfrog with some inbred hillbilly cousin kisser because they don't know how to maintain a speed while I just leave my cruise control set. Of course, they think I'm the arsehole every time I pass them....
Old 03-15-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGrohms View Post
Do like the states and have a passenger vehicle limit and a commercial truck limit. There is NO reason for 50 tons of steel/lumber/aggregate to be rolling down the highway at 120km.
I drive the coquihala every other week where it is posted 120km, commercial trucks not allowed in the far right lane when there are 3 lanes, and it seems to work. You get the odd numpty in a big rig that tries to pass the other 2 in the 2 right lanes but once I get past those I usually slow right down in front of them to put them in The back of the line for holding up traffic.
Also, the variable speed signs seem to work ok.
IMHO, stiffer penalties for commercial vehicles (and I’m registered commercial) should be applied and enforced.
120km on the QE2 would be no problem.
Stiffer fines for comercial vehicles but you purposely force big trucks to slow down ??? I guess if you cant be part of the solution you may as well be part of the problem .
Old 03-15-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
The Coquihalla used to have a speed limit of 110km/h. Everyone did 120 - 130km/h. Now it has a speed limit of 120km/h. Everyone still does 120 - 130km/h. They could bump the limit to 130 and very few people would start going 140. Most people will naturally drive at a speed that's reasonable for the road. Natually there's a percentage that drive like hooligans at way higher than reasonable and people that drive like morons at way lower than reasonable, but the majority always settle around the same speeds. There's multiple studies that roads have the artificially set limits and then the limit that the majority of people can safely and comfortably drive at.
This is correct. If you were to leave a road unposted most people would drive the same average speed because that is what feels comfortable and appropriate. Our highways are almost all designed to be safe at 10km/hr over the posted speed. I believe the QUE2 was actually designed for 130km/hr which is why in good conditions it feels quite safe at 130.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Is that a problem?
If everyone is now doing 135+km/hr instead of their current 120+, I can only imagine that attempting to
enter highways would be even more challenging. For me, making lefts to cross 2 lanes on the yellowhead
to get across to the other 2 lanes is hectic enough without any assistance of traffic lights on
'perfect weather days', now add a slick snow/torrent rain, sunrise/sunset glare,etc to the equation.

Also, I don't need a road rager making drama in my life cause he deems i'm going to slow/could care less
i'm saving gas with more reasonable speeds.
Leave speed limits as is!

Last edited by tri777; 03-15-2021 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
If everyone is now doing 135+km/hr instead of their current 120+, I can only imagine that attempting to
enter highways would be even more challenging. For me, making lefts to cross 2 lanes on the yellowhead
to get across to the other 2 lanes is hectic enough without any assistance of traffic lights on
'perfect weather days', now add a slick snow/torrent rain, sunrise/sunset glare,etc to the equation.
Leave speed limits as is!
Sounds like some defensive driving is needed, if you can't merge and cut across 2 lanes you should not be on the road. ANYONE NOT CONFIDENT IN THEIR SKILLS SHOULD NOT BE ON THE ROADS...NO IF ANs OR BUTS.

to old? Don't drive
Blind in1 eye ? don't drive
Stiff neck ? Don't drive
Car can't get up to speed cuz it's a 1992 dodge shadow? Get off the road

Driving is a privilege not a right.