Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2020, 12:33 AM

Default Dock brand recommendations needed

Looking for a dock. Would like to hear what you guys recommend and why. Thinking of going with a wheel kit and about 80-90’. What have you guys used and how well has it held up?
Old 06-02-2020, 01:02 AM

Default Dock

We have 120’ of the Aluminum Floe wheeled dock with the cedar look epoxy finish on it. It started peeling and flaking the first season. I could not recommend Floe to anyone.

On a side note, Alberta Environment is trying to implement a restriction on dock size in Alberta. Google it so you don’t waste your money.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:36 AM

Check out Canada docks (canadadocks.ca). Nice system and get a DIY type kit to save $$$
Old 06-02-2020, 11:43 AM

Default Dock brand recommendations needed

I have Floe with the aluminum decking and love it. I would never go back to a wood decked dock. I also have two Floe 4000lb rated lifts.

The nice thing about Floe is the height of the legs is adjusted from on top of the dock with a simple socket. It makes rolling it in on wheels and then extending the legs to level a breeze.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 06-02-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman View Post

On a side note, Alberta Environment is trying to implement a restriction on dock size in Alberta. Google it so you don’t waste your money.
Some information here:

https://www.wblmarine.com/news/2020/...bance-standard

Most of our neighbors have Shoremaster from Martin. Really nice dock but I just can't bring myself to spend the 20 - $30,000 they are spending on dock. I had some decent aluminum stands made 10 or so years ago and I still use the home made 3' x 10' wood sections. Plus I can put my pier in and take it out by myself. Not the prettiest but it works.

Old 10-22-2020, 07:43 AM

I could never justify the cost of aluminum docks but I’m curious where and what brands of aluminum pier stands are available.

Any brands locally made?
Old 10-22-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
I could never justify the cost of aluminum docks but I’m curious where and what brands of aluminum pier stands are available.

Any brands locally made?
Any fab shop that can weld aluminum can make them. I had the ones in this picture made at Ecco Heating in Edmonton but that is only because I have a business account with them and didn't wan to pay for them personally. They are just 2 sizes of aluminum square tube and 2x2x1/4 angle. They really work good, easy to adjust. They are pretty light and they don't seize up like the steel ones. Mine had been in the water for 10 ish years and I just raised them all this year with no issues at all.

I can get you the dimensions or I have a spare one you can take and get copied if you want. Probably lots of fab shops looking for work right now. I think I paid $180?

Old 10-22-2020, 08:15 AM

There is some shoremaster dock a RB next week.
Maybe it will be cheaper now that it is fall. The stuff that sold in the spring went for way too much $

https://www.rbauction.com/shoremaste...ton-ab-2020175

https://www.rbauction.com/shoremaste...ton-ab-2020175
Old 10-22-2020, 08:21 AM

You can also make your own Aluminum dock (or Aluminum I beam) docks at a fraction of the price of buying a "package" deck.

Aluma Beam ..... it even comes with a poly insert in the top pocket so you screw wood (or composite) decking into the Aluminum beam without having to drill into the beam itself. It also comes in various lengths and can be purchased used as well.

If you flip it upside down - it has a channel slot to slide in a bolt from the end, so, again, you can fasten down decking (or other pieces) without drilling any holes in it. Just slide the bolt head (or nut if you are going from the top) into the channel and down to where you need it and you are set ....

This makes joining each section of dock with a shared top plate a breeze - in and out in minutes per section each spring and fall.

The product is used for concrete forming and shoring of structures - so it is far stronger than you can imagine, and far lighter. 3 sticks weighing a total of 48 lbs each will hold up a 1/2 ton truck.

It used to go up and down fast on job sites, easy to use, versatile, and light and strong.

If I was doing it - this is what I'd be using if I was making my own.

https://gatewayindustriesonline.com/...ms-Joists.html

The brand name you want is ALUMA BEAM - there are a few knock offs as well.

Last edited by EZM; 10-22-2020 at 08:28 AM.