Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Banned

Default Going to take my PAL test non restricted

i just finished reading the book. I dont own rifles but would like to. I was just wondering what is the test like I know there is the written. Im confident about that but what is the practical like. IM worried because i have only had handled rifles i have never had to load them or anything like that only transport them when i went hunting with an uncle.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:39 PM

No worries,
It's been awhile but you will have to be able to pick up a dummy round and load it into to a particular rifle being a bolt action, break open type, pump, etc. I should also mention that I believe the book you read says something like SAFE or PROVE ( something like that ) basicly whenever you pick up a firearm you have to prove it is safe and unloaded while making very sure to keep your finger OFF the trigger and maintain control of your muzzle in the "safe direction" which should be pointed out to you before starting. From what I remember also the situation may be treated as a live firing range with a fireing marshall, I remember this because this was the only thing I screwed up on....anyway when he/she says Cease fire unload the firearm, prove it safe, and step back BEHIND the fireing line. The guy I did it with just had some masking tape on the floor. Like I said it's been awhile I'm sure there are many more guys on here that can give better advice but this may help.

Last edited by JCP; 07-09-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:33 AM

Like he said, the test is mainly based on "ACTS" and "PROVE". Make sure you demonstrate these every time to the instructor every time you handle the firearms. The test is mostly common sense, but if you haven't been around firearms for long, you may want to consider taking the course to gain some firsthand knowledge rather than just challenging the test.