Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-01-2009, 10:27 AM

Default HS Precision rifle- opinions please

What are your thoughts on HS Precision sporter rifles? What would you pay for a used one in excellent condition with low round count in a WSM ?

bigd
Old 07-01-2009, 10:29 AM

I like the action,but I am not big on the H-S stocks.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:42 AM

I know somebody that bought a used one in Edmonton that has trouble shooting 4" groups at 100yrds..... and the shop where he bought it - wouldnt do a thing for him. I know some will argue saying they are super accurate, that may be - just telling you his experience. If I was dropping that much coin on a rifle, it wouldnt be a used HS. I would much rather buy a Cooper or Sako. Just my $0.02
Old 07-01-2009, 10:45 AM

A fellow that shoots at our local range has at least two H-S rifles,at least one in 270wsm.They are quite accurate,but I am not fond of the stock,or the pencil thin barrel.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:24 PM

Default HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
What are your thoughts on HS Precision sporter rifles? What would you pay for a used one in excellent condition with low round count in a WSM ?

bigd
Seems to me that if a guy went to all the expense of buying an HS rifle, he would want to keep it forever, unless it don't shoot no good. I have 2 of them and they are the heavy barreled version, love em, would never sell them.

See if buddy has some range targets you can look at, maybe he just lost his job........ FS
Old 07-01-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
I know somebody that bought a used one in Edmonton that has trouble shooting 4" groups at 100yrds..... and the shop where he bought it - wouldnt do a thing for him. I know some will argue saying they are super accurate, that may be - just telling you his experience. If I was dropping that much coin on a rifle, it wouldnt be a used HS. I would much rather buy a Cooper or Sako. Just my $0.02

hs precision sporters are garanteed to shoot 1/2" moa at 100yrds. he would have to contact the manufactorer.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylow? View Post
hs precision sporters are garanteed to shoot 1/2" moa at 100yrds. he would have to contact the manufactorer.
To the original owner - which he isnt.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:46 PM

Default HS

I have an HS PHL in 270wsm the load they provided me, will shoot very close to 1/2" but the velocity is not anywhere close to where it should be.I have worked up a few loads that are abot 3/4" but pressure are getting high and I am still 100 or so fps below book speeds.I realy like the rifle ,but honestly I have had Rem. Browning, Tikka and Win that would shoot as good with less hassle.I am not sure if I would do it again.Maybe a Cooper next time.Just my experience and opinion.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:03 PM

Default HS rifles

Hey ther D.G still working on that pencil HS looks like original owner should not leave his day job. after getting rid of pressure points now shooting 1 inch, will try some load devolpment might get better, but i am seriously looking at cooper for the next one. by the way bought my first HS stock in 87 still have it
Old 07-01-2009, 01:43 PM

Good to hear its gotton better. Hopefully you will get it to what you feel acceptable. I too have no complaints with HS stocks.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:32 PM

Fassteel has my old HTR .308, which on multiple occasions put 3 shots into 2.75" @ 600m (sorry for mixing Imperial and metric), and lots of 1/2 MOA 5 shot groups at various ranges. I only sold it because I was (and continue to) experimenting with guns and calibers, being new to shooting. I know it wasn't a sporter, as per the OP, but I would buy another one in a heartbeat.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:57 AM
bowcanyonranch

I have two HS sporters both in 300 wsm, absolutly love them. They both shoot 1/2 inch no problem with factory loads. BUT i had a professional hunter in 300 win mag, that is the one with the heavier barrel and it didnt shoot very well. but over all i like em...
Old 07-02-2009, 10:08 AM

I have a PHL in 325wsm. Shoots fine, stays around .3MOA at 100yards with the loads it likes, and has never grouped over an inch even with the bullets it didn't like. The recoil is mild due to the stock design. I don't mind the HS stock and I like the pencil thin barrel, but I bought the rifle to hunt goats/sheep so it see's alot of elevation in a day. If you hunt flat ground then don't buy a PHL, just get a pro-hunter, it has a barrel between a regualr magnum contour and a sendero contour.

If you have any bolt action rifle of recent manufacture shooting groups of 4" at 100yards there are likely problems with the scope/rings/bases or you are doing something wrong...like shooting some really poor handloads, or useing a bullet the rifle really doesn't like.

If you do buy it don't use the standard Leupold bases everyone seems to use, they are crap. I have had the windage screws come loose or break several times. You can order Talley one piece ring/base for 50 bucks from talley and have a much more secure mount.

They look like they are going for around 2000-2400 on gunbroker just to give you an idea.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:12 AM

I know that this isn't what you were asking, but for the money involved in buying an HS rifle, even a used one, why not get a custom built? Then you pick the stock, barrel contour etc.. It is then custom to you and not off the shelf.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:33 AM

That is very true. A custom action could be had for 1500ish, top quality barrel for 500, jewell trigger for 350, bottom metal for 350-400, stock for 300 and up. Prices very rough and include import/export. Then figure on 500-700for chambering/barrel fitting/trigger timing. Maybe a little more for stock fitting.

So for say 3100, you get a rifle built custom for you, to your specs and in your caliber. The HS is a nice rifle, but it is really only a semi-custom rifle, you can pick some options, but the list is limited to a few simple choices. With a full custom you can have it your way.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:36 AM

Andh if you wanted to true up a 700, you could start out at a lot less than 1500 for the action.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:32 PM

Very true if you already have a 700 action, easy to true and very popular. Still costs 300ish to get the action trued so if you had to buy a rifle to get the action you may as well go with a custom action.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:39 PM

thx for the replies. Perhaps I should look into having a 'customized' lh rifle built. Anybody out there with custom or customized M77 mkII's/hawkeyes ?