Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-25-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
my ballistic plex has accurate crosshairs sighted in for -200, 300, 400 and 500 no hold over or adjustment issues as long as I can range him I can accurately hold on him with no guessing my hold over.
Out to 400 yds I can EASILY run Leupolds Standard duplex reticle for pretty darn precision shooting at game.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
LOL...you need to read some more on the Rapid Z...it is infinitely tuneable so the hash marks do indeed represent 100 yard increments for any cartridge or load. If you've checked out the Zeiss website, you obviously didn't read much of it as it goes into great detail about tuning the scope to your individual load. That's why the Zeiss reticle is actually marked in 100 yard increments and yours isn't. It is far from a run of the mill ballistic reticle. The Leupold and Busnell also have a lesser degree of adjustability that the Pentax does not.
Guess im missing that part! So how is it tunable to a certain cartridge since im computer illiterate on the zeiss site I guess. Just am very interested in it.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:47 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Guess im missing that part! So how is it tunable to a certain cartridge since im computer illiterate on the zeiss site I guess. Just am very interested in it.
Check out the Zeiss site again or try Google, it's all their for the finding.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:58 PM

Should be a nice setup

Last edited by prospector; 06-25-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
And a good operator!
And therein lies the rub. As they say.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing you're giving advice on something you've never done nor have the slightest clue about.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:07 PM

The Zeiss counquest is definately the best bang for your buck. I have a few Zeiss on rifles right now and am a fan, but must say if you can get into the Swarovski av for that kind of money, my opinion is they are just that little bit brighter and crisper glass. I can take one of each out to the deck at dusk and side by side you will see more with the Swarovski. Another amazing scope for brightness is the Schmidt and Bender, but they are very hard to find, but can't be beat if you can get your hands on one. As far as Leupolds go, they are certainly a nice glass and yeah, the service department is here in Alberta, but, they are still just a Leupold!
Old 06-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Check out the Zeiss site again or try Google, it's all their for the finding.
It states that each size (600,800,1000 or varmit) will work with certain calibers and that your cartridge and load will only be tuned at one power. So you can tune certain calibers but only in certain recticals and not at variable powers. Took me a while but I found it.

It uses the Federal Vital shock 7MM REM. 160gr Nosler Accubonds for an example,
The zeiss calculator recomends the Rapid Z 600 rectical and for it to precisly match, the scope needs to be set at 13.7X .
Old 06-25-2009, 06:09 PM

Actually the Rapid Z is no more adjustable than any other retical. Unless you take the scope apart and replace the retical with another one there is no more adjustment in the rapid-z then any other scope with holdover points. The only difference is there may be more holdover points in a rapid Z. And by the way, Nightforce likely makes the best longrange reticals. Maybe you should look at thier website.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:09 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
The Zeiss counquest is definately the best bang for your buck. I have a few Zeiss on rifles right now and am a fan, but must say if you can get into the Swarovski av for that kind of money, my opinion is they are just that little bit brighter and crisper glass. I can take one of each out to the deck at dusk and side by side you will see more with the Swarovski. Another amazing scope for brightness is the Schmidt and Bender, but they are very hard to find, but can't be beat if you can get your hands on one.
Ya, if it wasn't for the $1500 cap....I'd say Swarovski Z6 with ballistic turrets all the way. Hands down the nicest scope I've ever used.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing you're giving advice on something you've never done nor have the slightest clue about.
no i have never used the rapid z rectical have you? Im just looking into how it works.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:11 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBomber View Post
Actually the Rapid Z is no more adjustable than any other retical. Unless you take the scope apart and replace the retical with another one there is no more adjustment in the rapid-z then any other scope with holdover points. The only difference is there may be more holdover points in a rapid Z. And by the way, Nightforce likely makes the best longrange reticals. Maybe you should look at thier website.
Funny, they have an on-line calculator for adjusting the scope for each load and cartridge. Funny too that they actually mark their hash marks in a fixed yardage. Funny too that I've dialed mine in to the exact yardages on three different rifles with vastly different ballistics.

Nightforce is a great scope....

Last edited by sheephunter; 06-25-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
no i have never used the rapid z rectical have you? Im just looking into how it works.
I wasn't recommending it.

I've shot successfully past 300 yds. Have you?
Old 06-25-2009, 06:17 PM

Actually it's funny that you don't get that I "adjust" my leupold the same as I "adjust" my ziess...
Old 06-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
I wasn't recommending it.

I've shot successfully past 300 yds. Have you?
Any time you would like to come out I have 200yrd 300yrd and 400yrd metal swing targets on my land and if you want there is a good 500yrd target at the rocky gun range we can shoot. As far as how far Ive shot , we could tell each other we shoot a 1000yrds regularly and neither would know the differance. And I was recomending brands that are durable good quality scopes and agreed on a ballistic rectical because for the average joe like me it works the best.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:27 PM

Why don't we all just buy a scope with a BDC, laze the range, twist the dial and be DONE with it?
Old 06-25-2009, 06:28 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBomber View Post
Actually it's funny that you don't get that I "adjust" my leupold the same as I "adjust" my ziess...
I think I actually pointed out earlier that the Leupold was adjustable as well as the new Bushnell....they are just not as user friendly as the Zeiss.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Banned

well they all do the same thing in the end and guys tend to go with the brand they like not on the rectacle so lets all just agree to disagree on this one.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:48 PM

Blow the budget and go Nightforce. 2.5-10x32, with the zerostop and an NP-2r retical

I agree all the bullet drop compensators do work pretty much the same. I would worry about the retical second and the quality of the glass, erector houseing and build quality first.

To be honest I think the Bushnell 6500's (the 2.5-16 anyway) are on a level playing field with the Conquest and the VX3, judging from the ones I have looked thru (in the field, but not right at last shooting light).
Old 06-25-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
well they all do the same thing in the end and guys tend to go with the brand they like not on the rectacle so lets all just agree to disagree on this one.
Unfortunately not all opinions are created equal. Despite popular belief.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Unfortunately not all opinions are created equal. Despite popular belief.
dont be to harsh on yourself Chuck
Old 06-25-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
dont be to harsh on yourself Chuck
Quit digging.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Quit digging.
LOL you comment ,I comment thats just the way I am, ask most guys on here.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:51 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
so lets all just agree to disagree on this one.
I thought we agreed in the first place...what's there to disagree about?
Old 06-25-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Why don't we all just buy a scope with a BDC, laze the range, twist the dial and be DONE with it?
This notion might be exciting for some, but doesn't interest me much. I'll stick with my 1.5-5 and 2-7's.

I've used and own some of the very best hunting optics on the market and I can tell you that pretty much all of these high powered scopes are useless in dim conditions, once you get above 8x or so. An illuminated reticle might help with target aqcuisition during the final minutes of legal shooting time but I've yet to see a scope with one that I would be happy with.

On a varmint gun I like 16x. For big game I have no use for anything over 8x and would be perfectly satisfied with 6x. With a 'flat shooting' cartridge, you really don't need any sort of ballistic compensating sniper gear to make kill shots out to the 1/4 mile mark, and personally I like the standard 'plex' reticle.

Nightforce on a hunting rifle? You've got to be kidding me?!? To each his own...
Old 06-25-2009, 09:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
I thought we agreed in the first place...what's there to disagree about?
We did sheephunter, wasnt directed at you.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:02 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I've used and own some of the very best hunting optics on the market and I can tell you that pretty much all of these high powered scopes are useless in dim conditions, once you get above 8x or so. An illuminated reticle might help with target aqcuisition during the final minutes of legal shooting time but I've yet to see a scope with one that I would be happy with.
A larger objective lens definitely helps brightness with higher magnification scopes. Not much reason to go over 40mm up to 8 power, at least for us old guys, but after that, size does matter. Especially on high end glass.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:09 PM

In parts of Europe where most hunting is done at night, a fixed 6x (with fewer glass surfaces internally, and thus less light reflection) with a 56mm objective and an illuminated reticle is considered ideal.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:24 PM
sheephunter

Seems a waste to me. The maximum size that the human pupil can dialate to is 7mm and that's in folks under 40. A 6x56 scope would have an exit pupil of 9.3. The human eye couldn't use the light. The Germans have it figured out with their military scopes. A fixed 8 with a 56mm objective offering the perfect 7mm exit pupil. No extra bulk and 100% useable light. Sadly, if you are over 40, an exit pupil larger than 5mm is wasted.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABDUKNUT View Post
In parts of Europe where most hunting is done at night, a fixed 6x (with fewer glass surfaces internally, and thus less light reflection) with a 56mm objective and an illuminated reticle is considered ideal.
good to know as I am looking to do a little midnight hunting.