Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-24-2009, 10:21 PM

Question 1500 bucks - What scope???

So one of my hunting buddies just bought a new 30-06. He is looking to put some nice glass on it.

Like the the thread title says he is willing to spend up to $1500 plus mounting hardware. This is out of my league, I am more of a cheapskate when it comes to this kind of thing so I dont know where to start.
We mostly hunt bush / foothills country from Hinton to GP, but have been building priority for lope and Wainwright so some prairie hunting is in our future as well.

So lets hear it, you are spending 1500 bucks to top your -06, what do you pick???

Thanks for your input!
Old 06-24-2009, 10:43 PM

You are kind of in the middle - a few hundred below the super preimium scopes (ziess/swarovski/nightforce) and a few hundred above something in the Luepold VX3 range, depending on the magnification range you are looking at. Looking at the general hunting size scopes I like something with a low end between 3-5x and a top end 12-16x.

Personally I would go with a 4.5-14 VX3 long range, good glass, 4.5 gives me enough field of view in close and 14 is a pretty solid top end. This would leave you with a few bucks for rings/bases.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBomber View Post
You are kind of in the middle - a few hundred below the super preimium scopes (ziess/swarovski/nightforce) and a few hundred above something in the Luepold VX3 range, depending on the magnification range you are looking at. Looking at the general hunting size scopes I like something with a low end between 3-5x and a top end 12-16x.

Personally I would go with a 4.5-14 VX3 long range, good glass, 4.5 gives me enough field of view in close and 14 is a pretty solid top end. This would leave you with a few bucks for rings/bases.
X2. What he said.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:48 PM
sheephunter

Zeiss 3.5-10x44 Conquest with Rapid Z 600 reticle.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:58 PM
Banned

A Zeiss Conquest 3-12x56 MC and spend the rest of the money on getting it mounted properly.

http://www.zeiss.com/c1256bcf0020be5...257546006e354d

Old 06-24-2009, 11:28 PM

Default More than a scope

I think your buddy would be better off spending $500 on a nice scope and putting the other $1000 toward some camp gear, say a wall tent stove and some propane powered accessories like a lantern and a big camp chef stove... but I guess that doesn't help with the scope selection.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
X2 but you cant go wrong with Leupold or Swarovski either
Old 06-25-2009, 05:55 AM

Well if I had 1500 I would try to get a few more bucks and try a Nightforce. Ive always wanted one of those. Don't know if that goes on the gun your buddy has so get the best mounts you like and a VX-3. I really like the 4.5-14. The non LR one is a light clean scope in 40mm. If you like side focus the LR are very good too but a little heavier. I can't comment on the Zeiss.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 06-25-2009, 06:12 AM

Zeiss or Swarovski. Buy nice or buy twice. I learned that the hard way. Bought a couple cheap Bushnell's (100-150 bucks). Slightest bump and they were FUBAR. Spent 1000 on a Zeiss and haven't looked back.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospector View Post
I think your buddy would be better off spending $500 on a nice scope and putting the other $1000 toward some camp gear, say a wall tent stove and some propane powered accessories like a lantern and a big camp chef stove... but I guess that doesn't help with the scope selection.
Hmmmmm....
Now this is some interesting advise. It all sounds like a great idea but we need to toss in a dishwasher as well. See I am the guy that does the majority of the cooking, and I love it but when it comes to clean-up the rest of the guys disappear into the wall tent for some social time and I am left cleaning up, I always have my Budwieser to keep me company!
Dont get me wrong I am not bitter or angry but someone pick up a G-D dish cloth already!!! Wheww that feels better!

On a serious note thanks for the input so far guys I was thinking Leupold or Zeiss at first. I will have to get my butt down to a couple gun couters and see what else is in the price range!

I see both the "sheeps" agree on the same scope, we will have to give it a long look. Would either of you care to elaborate on why, I think a couple months ago TJ had an article on it I will have to go back and give it another read but the more info the better, Thanks again!!
Keep the suggestions coming!

Last edited by FallAirFever; 06-25-2009 at 09:56 AM. Reason: fingers faster than brain, but thats not saying much!
Old 06-25-2009, 11:24 AM

You can get into the Swaro AV's in that price range.....Take your chances at the border.....it's a risk but I've never been bit.

tm
Old 06-25-2009, 12:30 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I see both the "sheeps" agree on the same scope, we will have to give it a long look. Would either of you care to elaborate on why, I think a couple months ago TJ had an article on it I will have to go back and give it another read but the more info the better, Thanks again!!
I just think the Zeiss is good value for the dollar and the Rapid Z is by far the most advanced ballistic reticle on the market today.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
X3 would be my only choice in this price range
Old 06-25-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I just think the Zeiss is good value for the dollar and the Rapid Z is by far the most advanced ballistic reticle on the market today.
may I add, in my subjective opinion the Zeiss Conquest line has the best clarity and light transmission of any scope except the very high end.
I have repeatedly in a store held two different but comparable scopes to both eyes for comparison and then switched. To my eyes Zeiss is superior to anything but things like Swaro.

I like the Z600 the most but there are other BDC reticles that work well.

Zeiss also has a good reputation for their Quality Systems in manufacturing and assembly. Never heard anybody complain.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post

I have just seen the abuse these scopes will take as most hunters I guide have Zeiss. Nothing beats a scope up like hours on a horse and climbing in rugged county. Great clarity and also really like the stuff ive read on the rapid z. But Leupold also has a big following and hold up and last almost as well. I had a bad experience with a Swarovski spotting scope so im not a real Swarovski fan but do see lots of ther rifle scopes that have been good and guys are happy with them. I think when in these calibers of scopes its more a matter of personal preferance as they will all do wat you need.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:36 PM

Ouch Sheepguide.....what's the story on the spotter??

tm
Old 06-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
Ouch Sheepguide.....what's the story on the spotter??

tm
Was guiding a sheep hunter a few years back and I used to pack an old tasco scope(still do sometimes as its been in the family for over 20yrs.) that has never caused a problem in over 20yrs of use but he insisted that I should take his fancy new swarovski as mine wasnt good enough, so I did. We got onto a beutiful stone ram in the rain and I got the scope out to age the ram (as we dont shoot a ram unless its 8yrs or older) and it was fogged up internally and was useless. We ended up stalking close enough to age him with my binoculars. He ended up being 8 1/2 and 41" so it worked out but with no help from the Swarovski scope! Im sure that it was a one in a million thing but still hard to forget it.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:19 PM

Argggg....that would be a little frustrating for sure!!

Glad it worked out.....is that just a great ram in that area or is it pretty "common" to get 40"s out at 8yrs old....that's some great genes floating around in there

tm
Old 06-25-2009, 03:31 PM

Leupold VX 3 3.5-10X40 standard duplex.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
X2 but you cant go wrong with Leupold or Swarovski either
I'm curious what your experience with the conquest rapid z is?
Old 06-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I'm curious what your experience with the conquest rapid z is?
as I stated I have guided piles of guys with the zeiss scopes but have only read about the rapid z. But would never buy another scope without a ballistic rectical. I shoot a pentax 4-16 with ballistic plex rectical and will never go back. Even with the leupold I would go with it unless you only gunna shoot one distance.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:53 PM

What do you mean by "gunna shoot one distance"?
Old 06-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
What do you mean by "gunna shoot one distance"?
my ballistic plex has accurate crosshairs sighted in for -200, 300, 400 and 500 no hold over or adjustment issues as long as I can range him I can accurately hold on him with no guessing my hold over.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBomber View Post

I agree completely
Old 06-25-2009, 05:08 PM

My votes are for

Leupold VX 3 2.5-8x36
Ziess Conquest 2.5-8x32
Swaro Z3 3-9x36
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32 (Might have to save a few more bucks - this scope is 50% heavier - 19 ounces compared to the others around 12 or 13 ounces

I am a fan of scopes in these magnification ranges. I find them ideal for big game hunting

For a varmint scope I'd choose a scope in the 3-10 or 4-14 from the same lines of scopes mentioned with a 40mm objective.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:11 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
my ballistic plex has accurate crosshairs sighted in for -200, 300, 400 and 500 no hold over or adjustment issues as long as I can range him I can accurately hold on him with no guessing my hold over.
Sheepguide, I think you may be giving your Pentax too much credit. The hash marks below the centre crosshair do not necessarily represent 300, 400, 500 yards. It is totally cartridge dependant. With your gun they could represent totally different numbers. The Rapid Z is the only reticle so far that is tunable for virtually every cartridge and load. The Leupold B&C reticle and Bushnell DOA have some tunability but not to the degree the Rapid Z does. The Pentax reticle is much the same as the others are offering and it definitely is the most rudementary of the ballistic reticles. Once you know what yardage the hashmarks represent for your load and cartridge, it's a very effective system but don't get fooled into beliving they are bang on at 100 yard increments, especially when you start shooting 500 yards. Even with a perfect 200 yard zero, your "500" yard hash mark could be 15 or more inches out.....depending on the cartridge and load.

Last edited by sheephunter; 06-25-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sheepguide, I think you may be giving your Pentax too much credit. The hash marks below the centre crosshair do not necessarily represent 300, 400, 500 yards. It is totally cartridge dependant. With your gun they could represent totally different numbers. The Rapid Z is the only reticle so far that is tunable for virtually every cartridge and load. The Leupold B&C reticle and Bushnell DOA have some tunability but not to the degree the Rapid Z does. The Pentax reticle is much the same as the others are offering and it definitely is the most rudementary of the ballistic reticles. Once you know what yardage the hashmarks represent for your load and cartridge, it's a very effective system but don't get fooled into beliving they are bang on at 100 yard increments.
I do understand that sheep hunter I have shot every incriment on my scope and any ballistic rectical should be shot to verify accuracy. My pentax is exactly like the leupold. It comes with a list of calibers and bullet weights to roughly give you your crosshair ranges for differant zeros. Then u do the fine tuning to figure exact zero. Of which with my .270wsm are pretty much 100 yrd increments. Lokking at the rapid Z on the zeiss web site only shows 4 scopes and the only differance that I can see is there are a 600 800 1000 and a varmit nothing stating that they are fine tunable to a certain cartridge. It looks to me to run off the same princable as the rest if you can point me to a link that shows the adjustability id like to have a look.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:34 PM
sheephunter

LOL...you need to read some more on the Rapid Z...it is infinitely tuneable so the hash marks do indeed represent 100 yard increments for any cartridge or load. If you've checked out the Zeiss website, you obviously didn't read much of it as it goes into great detail about tuning the scope to your individual load. That's why the Zeiss reticle is actually marked in 100 yard increments and yours isn't. It is far from a run of the mill ballistic reticle. The Leupold and Busnell also have a lesser degree of adjustability that the Pentax does not.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:36 PM

I shoot LR dots, BC reticles, and turrets, and they all have their place. For a big game "hunting" rifle I prefer the LR reticle from Leupold in a fixed 6X scope. I generally figure on 400 to 500 yds as being about as far as I want to shoot so sight in in reverse. I get close at 100 yds with a 2" high type sight in. then move back to 400 yds and sight in the bottom dot. Then I confirm crosshair zero which usually ends up being somewhere between 225 and 260 yds (really moot). I then determine middle dot zero (also basically moot) then move to the bottom post. Past 500 yds I use turrets.

However, these numbers, dots, hash marks, posts etc. are completely useless without a GOOD laser rangefinder.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:37 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
However, these numbers, dots, hash marks, posts etc. are completely useless without a GOOD laser rangefinder.
And a good operator!