Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-12-2009, 01:56 PM

Default Meier Gun Auction

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has been to one of these auctions. If so than could you please let me, how did you find the pricing, do you end up paying more than the cost of the gun?

I called Meier auction, and asked them about the opening bid of the gun. Guy’s response was we don't know. So I was wondering if any of you guy/gals went to these auction previously, please share your experience.

Thanks

Rosh
Old 06-12-2009, 02:21 PM

I saw single shot 12g cooeys sell for 160
I saw a used win 3030 sell for 500
I saw a Norinco 9mm pistol sell for 145 more than new retail

I saw enough.

Plus, you pay 15% buyers fee and 5% Gst.

Unless i was selling guns (then you pay 25%) sellers fee, I probably wont go back .

If you are looking for deals, stay home. If you are selling, might be worth it.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:34 PM

Thanks buddy, I am staying home or might goto gun show at entwistle, Alberta.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:24 PM

I went to the preview........mostly a bunch of crap! Not much for other goodies. Some old ammo, crappy fishing gear, crappy crap, and assorted crap. LOL

A few good guns, not many. Some mounts and bear rug...I was going to go, but once I saw the preview, I'd rather stay home and clean the garage.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I saw single shot 12g cooeys sell for 160
I saw a used win 3030 sell for 500
I saw a Norinco 9mm pistol sell for 145 more than new retail

I saw enough.

Plus, you pay 15% buyers fee and 5% Gst.

Unless i was selling guns (then you pay 25%) sellers fee, I probably wont go back .

If you are looking for deals, stay home. If you are selling, might be worth it.
I am going to buy some "stuff" and put it in the sale to see what will happen!

Old 06-13-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortkut View Post
I am going to buy some "stuff" and put it in the sale to see what will happen!

Regular occurrence at the local Machinery sale. Somebody brings in pallets of brand new power tools and sells em for more than retail. Sharks, apparently, aren't the only animal prone to feeding frenzies.
Grizz
Old 07-06-2009, 04:09 PM

My experience with gun auctions is:

- cheap crap sells for more than it's worth

- high quality guns can get bid up to prices rivaling retail

- once in a while guns come up that people don't know much about (or they are offered at auctions where guys get tapped out because there's so many nice pieces). But, whatever the reason, once in a blue moon great deals can be had just because there's nobody (or nobody serious) to bid against you.

Going to gun auctions has to be entertainment. If you go to score deals, you may or may not be disappointed. Most importantly, you'd best know the market value of every piece you'll bid on, because the bidding behavior of the rest of the crowd is certainly no basis to go by. Lastly, if you aren't going to examine each piece carefully, don't bother going - they all look great from 50 feet away.

I still like going to auctions, but only when I don't have something better to do.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:54 PM

I bought 2 handguns at the last Meier auction a month or so ago, paid well under used retail for a Ruger .22 pistol, and about low low retail for a Llama .357 that was all but spotless. Hadn't done my research on that one, it was an impulse buy, didn't do as well as I thought I had on it On the whole I did OK, not great but not bad at all.

There were a few deals to be had, but you had to know what you were looking at. There was also, as mentioned above, tons of crap. But you can buy all the Cooey etc 60's and 70's vintage .22's you want for $75-100 ea. Nice looking/condition stuff tends to bring a real premium - the 30-30 referenced above, for example. If you're handy and willing to put some work into cleaning up an older hunting rifle, you might find a good deal.

I also had a good laugh at the Norinco 1911 pricing, tho I don't recall it being quite that much over new retail, I thought it was about 'equal to'. Still way too much for a used one at auction.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Gone Hunting

I was going to go to the last Meier auction but didn't make it.

There was a ruger carbine .44 mag there I was interested in. Anyone look it over and remember what it went for?

Usually I am looing for something special (like the ruger carbine) and so it is hard to compare it to a "real value". If you want it badley you will pay an amount and it will be worth it to you at least.

I wanted a Sav. 99 in .300 sav. in good condition and I bought one at an auction. I actually do not remember what I payed for it now(some may have thought it was too much). But I have shot some game with it and enjoy owning it and hunting with it.

I always wanted a Win. M100 in .284 and so when one poped up at an auction I probably payed too much for it. Just a little more than the otherguy who almost payed too much for it. But it was what I wanted and I may have had to wait a long time to find another for less money.

I do get a lot of "entertainment value" from a gun auction. And if a gun is going to slip between the cracks and go cheap, I might as well steal it as the next guy.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...