Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2016, 12:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
Oh but I do support the law. I think it's a great idea. I wish there was more policing in all regards to atvs
So you were checking fence at 30km/h? Try doing that where I work, with or without a helmet and find out how fast you will get hurt. I would like to think most people have enough common sense to regulate their speed to the activity they are doing or the terrain they are in. But as you point out in your posts in this thread, common sense does not exist anymore... Maybe the government should step in to take care of those not smart enough to take care of themselves

Don't really believe your story anyways. Have seen quite a few tie rods let go or break, and never a rolled atv. Maybe if a ball joint let go, maybe. Have seen that too and again, never a rolled atv. I guess anything's possible when Darwin is controlling the throttle.

You do realize that most that are arguing against you are talking about putting around while hunting or doing odd chores on their atv's?
Old 11-30-2016, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
It just doesn't make sense, if you went over it and the tie rods were fine, then you must have hit something on the ride with enough force to bust it. I'm not sure where you were riding, but perhaps you caught a rock or stump that put enough force on the tie rod to snap it?

Either way, I just wanted to show you that most "accidents" involving any motor vehicle can be prevented. In fact the reason they call car crashes motor vehicle collisions now, is because they've realized that theres no such thing as an accident with vehicles. If you are an alert, well educated driver, who acts responsibly and properly maintains his vehicle, I'd say the chances that you have an accident are less then .0001%
That is a pretty small number. You've effectively eliminate chance... that's impressive. What about the guy sharing the road or trail with you who isn't a good driver or is drunk. What happens to your number.

This is what I love about AO. I'm well aware how tie rods words. What it takes to break them. I had them inspected and looked at them myself. My quad was worked hard and rode hard often. Could have been any number of things that broke it.

Please tell me again that an inspection would prevent the accident that happened to me. 2 weeks after I went through it.

That's why it's called an accident. You can do all you can to prevent it and it still happens. That's where the helmet comes onto play. I wasn't wearing one. I got lucky.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:53 AM

I am one for personal liberties, but on the other hand I have seen far too many "accidents" that have caused permanent disability or death. Let along the ones where someone is just laid up for weeks or months. You don't need to be going 50kph to sustain a head injury and most of the flipping incidents with head injuries are at slow speeds. I am happy to see this as it will mean less bad memories.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
So you were checking fence at 30km/h? Try doing that where I work, with or without a helmet and find out how fast you will get hurt. I would like to think most people have enough common sense to regulate their speed to the activity they are doing or the terrain they are in. But as you point out in your posts in this thread, common sense does not exist anymore... Maybe the government should step in to take care of those not smart enough to take care of themselves

Don't really believe your story anyways. Have seen quite a few tie rods let go or break, and never a rolled atv. Maybe if a ball joint let go, maybe. Have seen that too and again, never a rolled atv. I guess anything's possible when Darwin is controlling the throttle.

You do realize that most that are arguing against you are talking about putting around while hunting or doing odd chores on their atv's?
I was out checking fence and was running down a trail to where we fees cows so yeah I was going faster.

Yes exactly the same thing I was doing. Believe it or not Dave it happened wish you could have been there. You could have given me a ride home.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:01 AM
Banned

Quote:

This is what I love about AO.
What I love about AO is how many members here feel that the Government needs to step in and implement ridiculous laws to help save them from themselves.

Bill 6 is a great example of that. Maybe they should have asked those of us who would be effected first, without ramming it down our throats without any consultation.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Please tell me again that an inspection would prevent the accident that happened to me. 2 weeks after I went through it.
I don't think anyone thinks another inspection would've helped. I think it was implied that your story doesn't add up, or it was never ever looked at.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmedical View Post
I am one for personal liberties, but on the other hand I have seen far too many "accidents" that have caused permanent disability or death. Let along the ones where someone is just laid up for weeks or months. You don't need to be going 50kph to sustain a head injury and most of the flipping incidents with head injuries are at slow speeds. I am happy to see this as it will mean less bad memories.
I never for a minute want to see someone injured. However injuries happen everyday during just about any activity.

This law is a joke though. To write the law in such a manner hey must have done a study on the 20 incidents last year. (Absolutely random number, I don't have the actual number.) Dissecting that number they extrapolated that, no injuries happen on reserve / Metis lands, private lands, or those under the influence. Of all 20 incidents the victims were on crown land, or working for a rancher as an employee.

Kids wearing helmets I agree with though.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Believe it or not Dave it happened wish you could have been there. You could have given me a ride home.
If I knew your opinion on this subject, I would have just left you where you were. (kidding)

Plus, you wouldn't have wanted a ride from me as I would have been going slow checking fence without a helmet, like I will continue to do in the future
Old 11-30-2016, 01:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
I think it was implied that your story doesn't add up, or it was never ever looked at.
Bingo!
Old 11-30-2016, 02:26 AM
Banned

The typical supporter of an ATV helmet law:

Sad, but so very true... Don't worry, the NDP will make sure you're safe from yourselves. Just don't go outside without your helmets until they have it all finalized
Old 11-30-2016, 06:43 AM

Quote:
I don't think anyone thinks another inspection would've helped. I think it was implied that your story doesn't add up, or it was never ever looked at.
Ah so now I'm a liar because you don't like my stance on wearing a helmet.
How very mature.
I know it happened. It's one if the reasons I'll never be on a quad without a helmet.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:45 AM

Quote:
I never for a minute want to see someone injured. However injuries happen everyday during just about any activity.

This law is a joke though. To write the law in such a manner hey must have done a study on the 20 incidents last year. (Absolutely random number, I don't have the actual number.) Dissecting that number they extrapolated that, no injuries happen on reserve / Metis lands, private lands, or those under the influence. Of all 20 incidents the victims were on crown land, or working for a rancher as an employee.

Kids wearing helmets I agree with though.
I do agree with a lot of this. Why make a law then make a bunch of caveats to it like that is ridiculous. Either have it or don't.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:49 AM

Then perhaps we could ride them on the road.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:49 AM

I wont be wearing one tired of people makeing choices for me
Old 11-30-2016, 07:00 AM

Watermelon or Pumpkin bucket is under construction as we speak.

We started growing CSA approved vegetables for things like this, always try to stay 3 & a half steps behind the government incase they change things, Ha.

Now I wonder if there is a CSA approval stamp on this roll of duck-tap.

Oh boy,,, it's tuff living on this planet.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:30 AM

Default Breaking News!

Nanny state legislators realize they have to extend the new helmet law to other activities after numerous studies of AO forum posters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Evil Kenevil.jpg (45.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg natural-selection.jpg (117.2 KB, 41 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 11-30-2016, 08:03 AM

I wonder how long before I have to wear a helmet to mow my lawn.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Ah so now I'm a liar because you don't like my stance on wearing a helmet.
How very mature.
I know it happened. It's one if the reasons I'll never be on a quad without a helmet.
No not a liar. Not about your stance either. It fully has to do with your story is all. You very well may have checked it, you just may not have known what to check for is all. Or, there is something in your story that is missing. Could be innocent enough that you didn't think about it. As said something doesn't add up. You said you inspected it 2 weeks earlier. Possibly you hit a stump between the inspection date and the failure date that should've warranted another look-over. Not saying you are intentionally lying to me. Just saying your story sends up some red flags is all.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:26 AM

This is ridiculous. I use my quad for chores, hunting and getting firewood all at low speeds. There is more risk of hurting my head slipping on the ice going to start the truck in the morning.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:35 AM
Banned

Well what do you expect.

How many smart, practical people do you know that enter politics?

There may be a small few, but they are vastly outnumbered by those that are the opposite.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:10 AM

Default Another stupid NDP law.

Nineteen deaths a year in Alberta on ATVs. Consider the number of people and hours of use on ATVs province wide. Pretty small percentage of fatal accidents.

If you drive like an ass, or drive drunk you are going to crash. Your problem.

Most of us putter around the forest enjoying the sights.

Im getting pretty tired of Nannie Notley and her band of thieves making laws and adding taxes. The next election cant come fast enough.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:21 AM

Angry WTH is with some people

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Shocking it took so long for this to become law. How many deaths and tax dollars spent could have been prevented by morons simply wearing helmets while riding their ATVs? I think Brian Mason is a spud but props to him & others for bringing this legislation to life finally.
What shocks me is how our tax dollars and laws we have in place now are in some ways a joke. No law is going to prevent MORONS! and people from harming themselves. I have been riding a ATV all my life rode horses all my life rode rodeo bulls 24 years with no helmets all on my choice. I choose to wear a helmet sledding because it keeps my head warm not because its a law. I love doing all the other things i do without a helmet because i like the freedom and the way it is. What is it with the CUPCAKE SOCIETY of people we have been seeing coming out preaching dictatorship on the way we live our life. What's next a law that i have to wear a helmet in my truck to go for groceries Or have to get on protective equipment to walk my kids to the bus before i do my chorses! Laws laws laws sad that we can't choose what is good or bad in preventing yourself from being harmed choose wisely on the things that my put you at risk and live life to fullest Another stupid NDP law yes stupid and there go's my hard earned tax dollars going down the **** hole for nothing in return

Last edited by 243 wild cat; 11-30-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:28 AM
Banned

Because ATVs are an easy target.

Its no different than the fact that hockey players must wear a helmet or they are not allowed on the ice, but figure skaters can spin and jump around, but no helmet required.

Same as horse riders, just as much chance of getting hurt, probably even more, quads don't spook all of a sudden.

But no, ATVs are an easy, politically expedient target.

As long as the government just targets one group and ignores the other examples I've mentioned, they can quit trying to tell me what to do.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:45 AM

Default Sad

CUPCAKE SOCIETY of people we have been seeing very sad to see how they live in the bubble they create!! Sad how a cut finger that needs a band-Aid turns into a AMPUTATION. Grow a back bone a you can't stop or change the FATE of others.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Why make a law then make a bunch of caveats to it like that is ridiculous. Either have it or don't.
Disagree. There are a myriad of laws which prohibit things on public land that you can do on your own land. Do you need to wear a seatbelt on your own land? Do you need to have daylight running lights on your own land? Do you need insurance for a car sitting on your own land? In this case the government is actually saying "Your home is your castle, do what you want there".
Old 11-30-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Disagree. There are a myriad of laws which prohibit things on public land that you can do on your own land. Do you need to wear a seatbelt on your own land? Do you need to have daylight running lights on your own land? Do you need insurance for a car sitting on your own land? In this case the government is actually saying "Your home is your castle, do what you want there".
I agree with what you are saying, but, is a reserve or metis settlement "your castle"?
Old 11-30-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I agree with what you are saying, but, is a reserve or metis settlement "your castle"?
If you are aboriginal and live there it sure is. Province probably has less jurisdiction there than it does in your or my home.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
If you are aboriginal and live there it sure is. Province probably has less jurisdiction there than it does in your or my home.
Fair enough.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:05 PM

Freedom of choice is being taken away and most don't even care. In fact they welcome it...

If I am recreation riding I take my helmet, if I am hunting I will not.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:18 PM

Default Invisable helmets....

Ok I know people that could wear this year round for their own safety!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpC7CkY9FBs