Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-29-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
Honestly this was me too until my grizzly broke a tie rod and flipped when I was checking fence. If it hadnt been for a snow drift I'm not sure what would have happened. Never been on a quad or bike without a helmet since.
Why did your tie rod break is the question? Another question do you think a helmet would stop you from being decapitated if your quad had run through a fence line? Perhaps its better to fix the problem instead of relying on a bandaid solution which a helmet is.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Why did your tie rod break is the question? Another question do you think a helmet would stop you from being decapitated if your quad had run through a fence line? Perhaps its better to fix the problem instead of relying on a bandaid solution which a helmet is.
I hear similar answers from bikers that think that helmets add weight and momentum to your head and will cause more damage. Those who dont think helmets are necessary, have little experience or poor understanding of off highway vehicles.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I'm really not sure why it broke. I used to ride pretty hard so I suppose wear. Its only ever happened once. That was enough.

I get where you're going and by all means justify not wearing one all you want. I choose to law or not it makes sense to me.

I agree it's a bandaid, I'd have much rather seen a mandatory course or license for atvs. Education beats bandaid every time.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post
Sounds like some self-righteous control freakism going on here
On AO? never!!
Old 11-29-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
I'm really not sure why it broke. I used to ride pretty hard so I suppose wear. Its only ever happened once. That was enough.

I get where you're going and by all means justify not wearing one all you want. I choose to law or not it makes sense to me.

I agree it's a bandaid, I'd have much rather seen a mandatory course or license for atvs. Education beats bandaid every time.
Exactly thats what I'm saying. If you have people who are responsible, educated, and not travelling high speeds you don't need a helmet on a quad. Anytime your travelling at high speeds you should have one, but if a person doesn't want to wear it thats on them.

As for your situation, I hope you've learn to inspect the front end once or twice a year.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Yeah, well hold on to your hat. I don't think kids should be allowed to drink, drive vehicles, smoke dope, or vote either. ATV's are just too heavy and if they roll over on top of a kid the results can be much more than a smashed head. (never mind the times this has happened to an adult, but then they are adults)

As Sooner mentioned, I could maybe see it if they were under DIRECT and CONSTANT parental supervision and on a small ATV.

Lot's of my friends have switched their kids off of ATV's and onto dirt bikes for this reason. Once they made the switch...injuries went down.

Adults. Do as you please. Once you reach 18 you should be able to make these decisions for yourself. Kids aren't mentally capable yet. (and yes....the argument can easily be made that the age of "kids" is increasing)
Ummmmm, dirt bikes are ATV's Rugatika. So are snowmobiles. So are kids quads. So are kids SxS's. I wouldn't let my daughter ride a 700 Grizzly but kids most certainly should be on ATV's.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Exactly thats what I'm saying. If you have people who are responsible, educated, and not travelling high speeds you don't need a helmet on a quad. Anytime your travelling at high speeds you should have one, but if a person doesn't want to wear it thats on them.

As for your situation, I hope you've learn to inspect the front end once or twice a year.
Thanks for the tip never considered checking the front end while it's being gone over on either the spring or fall services or one of the numerous times through the summer it was checked over.

Like I said accidents happen. Hope you get lucky and never have one.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
No problem, as long as they took care of their own medicare and such. Don't need to pay for stupid out of my pocket.
As long as people that work at desks and don't perform manual labour pay their medical bills living a sedentary lifestyle I am all for it. In fact cut off my taxes and I will gladly pay ALL of my families medical expenses. No problem there.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
So laws don't apply to you? You're entitled not to obey them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes laws do apply to me. Yes I will disobey laws that I don't believe in. Watch how many times I disobey a helmet law. Did you have all your firearms registered during the reign of Chretien? Have you ever exceeded the speed limit? Have you ever sampled a grape at the supermarket? I like many others are criminals as I refuse to dispose of my Butler Creek 10/22 mags, have you? I'm just so entitled, I'm above the law.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:49 PM

Quote:
And until a hardhat saves your life it's a stupid requirement?

OK let's say you and your 2 brain cells are happily motoring down a gravel road and meet someone with a single cell texting and driving and they swerve and run you off the road or hit you. Accidents happen. They're called accidents because you didn't plan for them.
There's a reason most accidents happen close to home. You get complacent and you get hurt.

By all means don't wear a helmet do what ever you like. Darwinism at work I'd say.
Yes Darwinism is at work. I have survived decades in what is considered a very hazardous environment. I'm alive, to reproduce. I'm the genes that should be passed on to improve the human race. Sadly too many that should not be reproducing are saved by hard hats every hour.

Ok so my 2 brain cells are struck by 1 brain cell guy and his load of diesel lights us on fire which then starts a dry field on fire and burns down a small community at night with no warning. If only everyone wore a helmet we would've been alright.

Could you explain to me how wearing a hardhat, creating an ergonomic hazard, is smarter than not wearing a hard hat where no overhead hazards exist? Please enlighten me. Wearing a hard hat all day everyday is stupid and it won't save my life. Now for example if I were working beside a gravel crusher and 5" rocks spit out of the crusher. Would that be an appropriate time to wear a hard hat? The answer is yes just so you know. Would I need a hard hat while taking a soil sample in the middle of a flat 1/4 section? I know you want to say yes, but the answer is actually no. That Boeing 737 falling out of the sky is probably going to render the helmet useless.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
Don't worry
I promise to low ball when I buy your quad from you as you sit there and drool from your brain injury
Or when your widow puts it up for sale after they scrape your brains off the pavement.

What was that?

If he had only worn a helmet?
Trust me, I will be getting good deals from your wife, before you get any deals from mine.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Like many have said. Things happen.
Break a tie rod at 30 kph your quad is going to do things you're not ready for...... well none of the guys on AO we are all perfect and safe.
A simple annual inspection would've had that tie rod replaced thus avoiding the ordeal. Did you replace both tie-rods?
Old 11-29-2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
I like how everybody thinks they have the right to do whatever they want. In reality, you have to be a real ********** to think that because it's your body you can do what you want.
Your body is your wife's body, your kid's body, your parent's body etc.

When you're a drooling, non-verbal, diaper pooping veg, how many people do you think you're effecting now?
Please never leave your house, you would have to be a real ********** to ruin your uncle's, cousin's, brother-in law's, former camp roommate's, sister's body by getting turned into a veg getting into an accident while in your car. Absolutely deplorable that you could do that to your great, great, great, great niece's body like that!!!

Are all diaper pooping veg a result of no helmet laws, while solber, while on crown land?
Old 11-30-2016, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
People getting upset because the government is telling them to do something they should already be doing.
No the government is telling me to do what YOU feel I should be doing. If you need to wear a helmet while on an ATV nobody is stopping you. If every time you pilot your ATV it is a harrowing experience I totally applaud you for wearing your helmet. 97% of my time in my SxS is as dangerous as pushing a cart through Safeway. Its not a life and death situation when I ride my ATV. The other 3% I wear a helmet. Its my choice.

Last edited by HyperMOA; 11-30-2016 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
A simple annual inspection would've had that tie rod replaced thus avoiding the ordeal. Did you replace both tie-rods?
They were both 2 years old. It was gone over about a month before it broke. By a mechanic. 2 weeks ish before by me. Everything was fine at that point in time.
Sorry but I look after my stuff.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
They were both 2 years old. It was gone over about a month before it broke. By a mechanic. 2 weeks ish before by me. Everything was fine at that point in time.
Not sure if you had the mechanic look over the front end. A tie rod will tell you its time to change it long before it fails unless it is overloaded. By overloaded I mean subjected to forces beyond its design. A collision (among many other scenarios) for example. A tie rod that breaks from wear and tear will be sloppy and should've been changed. Its possible it was fractured while overloaded at some point earlier and finally failed from fatigue but a good inspection would likely catch that.

You just stated a few posts earlier that you never checked it. I see someone else mentioned you should check it over.

Did you replace both tie-rods? The forces that broke that tie rod, exerted very similar forces to its mate. FYI.

Last edited by HyperMOA; 11-30-2016 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Yes Darwinism is at work. I have survived decades in what is considered a very hazardous environment. I'm alive, to reproduce. I'm the genes that should be passed on to improve the human race. Sadly too many that should not be reproducing are saved by hard hats every hour.

Ok so my 2 brain cells are struck by 1 brain cell guy and his load of diesel lights us on fire which then starts a dry field on fire and burns down a small community at night with no warning. If only everyone wore a helmet we would've been alright.

Could you explain to me how wearing a hardhat, creating an ergonomic hazard, is smarter than not wearing a hard hat where no overhead hazards exist? Please enlighten me. Wearing a hard hat all day everyday is stupid and it won't save my life. Now for example if I were working beside a gravel crusher and 5" rocks spit out of the crusher. Would that be an appropriate time to wear a hard hat? The answer is yes just so you know. Would I need a hard hat while taking a soil sample in the middle of a flat 1/4 section? I know you want to say yes, but the answer is actually no. That Boeing 737 falling out of the sky is probably going to render the helmet useless.

If your hardhat doesn't fit get a better one. I've had to go through several. I will agree with you that wearing them all the sucks. My company requires it for my job though. So it gets worn. I can choose to not wear it and risk losing my job .... stupid thing to worry about though if you ask me.

I'll play the odds that a jet won't fall out of the sky or my town burn down around me lol. I'm not playing the odds riding without a helmet. Seen to many wrecks and close calls.

Do what you like though. I really couldn't care less
Old 11-30-2016, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Do what you like though. I really couldn't care less
If you couldn't care less then don't support a law that forces others to wear a helmet. I'm not trying to get a law passed banning you from wearing a helmet.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:17 AM

I don't know if anyone noticed, but this subject really gets my dander up.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Not sure if you had the mechanic look over the front end. A tie rod will tell you its time to change it long before it fails unless it is overloaded. By overloaded I mean subjected to forces beyond its design. A collision for example. A tie rod that breaks from wear and tear will be sloppy and should've been changed. Its possible it was fractured while overloaded at some point earlier and finally failed from fatigue but a good inspection would likely catch that.

You just stated a few posts earlier that you never checked it. I see someone else mentioned you should check it over.

Did you replace both tie-rods? The forces that broke that tie rod, exerted very similar forces to its mate. FYI.
Lol its called sarcasm. Sorry I lost you. I'll slow it down a notch.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
If you couldn't care less then don't support a law that forces others to wear a helmet. I'm not trying to get a law passed banning you from wearing a helmet.
Oh but I do support the law. I think it's a great idea. I wish there was more policing in all regards to atvs
Old 11-30-2016, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Please do. What was sarcastic about your post I quoted?
Old 11-30-2016, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Quote:
What in the first quote is sarcastic?
Old 11-30-2016, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Oh but I do support the law. I think it's a great idea. I wish there was more policing in all regards to atvs
Change ATVs to firearms and who do you sound like?
Old 11-30-2016, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the tip never considered checking the front end while it's being gone over on either the spring or fall services or one of the numerous times through the summer it was checked over.
This was sarcasm I'm. Assuming this is what you're referring to where I say I never thought of looking at it.

I grew up working in a garage. I know how tie rods work.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Change ATVs to firearms and who do you sound like?

When 15 year Olds start ripping around on firearms with no helmets we'll talk.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Those who dont think helmets are necessary, have little experience or poor understanding of off highway vehicles.
I am willing to say that I understand off highway vehicles very well. I am willing to say that I have tons of experience. I am also going to say that helmets are only necessary when hazards arise that warrant their use. They are not necessary for every single use or application of an ATV.

If you remove the bolded word, I think your statement may have validity.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:35 AM

Quote:
This was sarcasm I'm. Assuming this is what you're referring to where I say I never thought of looking at it.

It just doesn't make sense, if you went over it and the tie rods were fine, then you must have hit something on the ride with enough force to bust it. I'm not sure where you were riding, but perhaps you caught a rock or stump that put enough force on the tie rod to snap it?

Either way, I just wanted to show you that most "accidents" involving any motor vehicle can be prevented. In fact the reason they call car crashes motor vehicle collisions now, is because they've realized that theres no such thing as an accident with vehicles. If you are an alert, well educated driver, who acts responsibly and properly maintains his vehicle, I'd say the chances that you have an accident are less then .0001%
Old 11-30-2016, 12:40 AM

Quote:

That's a "thinking" emoticon. So yes I missed the sarcasm. I thought you were actually learning something. My apologies. How was it inspected and looked over so many times and still fail in the field?

Good to see you grew up in a garage, so I won't have to ask a 3rd time. That means you did change both tie-rod ends.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:42 AM

Quote:
When 15 year Olds start ripping around on firearms with no helmets we'll talk.
That's a cute answer but has nothing to do with what I was saying; but we both know that. To be serious though, yes a 15 year old should be wearing a helmet, this I agree with you.