Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-29-2016, 08:37 AM

Well boys and girls, I've been riding ATV's since the 1st days of three-wheelers....never worn a helmet in that time while doing it and never been hurt. So now some dork behind a desk is going to tell me I HAVE to wear one for MY safety.

Three words in a short sentence come to mind...have a nice day!
Old 11-29-2016, 08:40 AM

Some people will die regardless of ATV helmet laws, its Darwins way of thinning the herd.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I honestly think nothing less than a full face helmet would do much good. The skull cap would keep the authorities happy though!
Isn't that the truth. It will satisfy somebodies desire to control me, without improving my safety. Right there is the truth about, nanny states, and the safety industry. The safety industry also does it to grow its greedy industry.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:58 AM

I can't believe the stupidity of some people,

Helmets like any other PPE are there to protect people because of an unanticipated incident... As for those that say they putt putt and go no more than 15km, I call bull doo doo on you, if you are going that slow then walk.

Most people are injured loading and unloading a quad....

When I had to ride an ATV at work a helmet was mandatory....

When I was a kid a helmet was mandatory by our parents but as time went on they relaxed and we got away without helmets and one nice afternoon all three kids on the trike and hit a small bump and it flipped in high gear.... I was knocked unconscious and suffered a severe concussion and my brother and sister were also injured...

Another time I was rounding a corner on my racing trike down the river hills on a gravel road and I miscalculated and I could not maintain the turn and off I went down into a ravine.... If I was not wearing a helmet I would have been dead. I still was knocked out and received a concussion. My helmet was destroyed.

Mandatory helmets on a quad for kids under 18 on public land is a good idea... besides you are not supposed to be shooting from a quad anyways...
Old 11-29-2016, 09:08 AM
Banned

Kids shouldn't be allowed on ATV's period.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:13 AM

I'm surprised this is all they are pushing for. I fully except that some day we will need a special license ( Similar to boaters license) & Training courses to operate ATV's.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
i can't believe the stupidity of some people, nor can i.

helmets like any other ppe are there to protect people because of an unanticipated incident...is it a requirement to wear ppe if there is no risk or next to no risk involved? I mean by ohs standards not employer policy by the way. Does the decreased visibility, decreased communication, ergonomic hazard created, outweigh the hazards present of travelling a flat cut block at 10km/h? Or has it added hazards? as for those that say they putt putt and go no more than 15km, i call bull doo doo on you, if you are going that slow then walk.i cant walk through the bush at 15-20km/h if you want to ride with me next year you will never see my speedo go over that.

most people are injured loading and unloading a quad....tough injuring myself driving up the ramp of my trailer.

when i had to ride an atv at work a helmet was mandatory....yep its a requirement of your employer and ohs. Privately i can go on my roof without tying off. A roofer under my employ must tie off. See there is a difference between private and occupational rules.

when i was a kid a helmet was mandatory by our parents but as time went on they relaxed and we got away without helmets and one nice afternoon all three kids on the trike and hit a small bump and it flipped in high gear.... I was knocked unconscious and suffered a severe concussion and my brother and sister were also injured...that's wonderful, you learned a lesson that day. In your scenario my kids would've been wearing a helmet regardless as they are inexperienced. Also there never would've been 3 on a trike. That is more ridiculous than riding without a helmet! In high gear no less!!! That is the plain stupidity as you referred to earlier.

another time i was rounding a corner on my racing trike down the river hills on a gravel road and i miscalculated and i could not maintain the turn and off i went down into a ravine.... If i was not wearing a helmet i would have been dead. I still was knocked out and received a concussion. My helmet was destroyed. right here, on a racing quad and driving hard, definitely a time to wear a helmet. I would be wearing my helmet when playing too. When in a situation with next to no hazards ppe is not required. The safety industry is producing generations of individuals that cannot think for themselves....sigh!!!

mandatory helmets on a quad for kids under 18 on public land is a good idea...agreed, but even on private i would agree with you. besides you are not supposed to be shooting from a quad anyways... no but you can get off the quad, slam a mag and shoot legally.
next!!!

Last edited by HyperMOA; 11-29-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:22 AM

In all my years of quadding I never flipped it due to hitting a bump in high gear or flying into a ravine while out of control. I have heard cases where meteorites have crashed through houses, so perhaps you should wear your helmet all the time. You are free to do so. No law required.

....and yes, when I'm falling trees I wear a hard hat, no law required either.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
This had better be a joke Rugatika. With your views, this better be a joke, you nanny.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck0039 View Post
I'm surprised this is all they are pushing for. I fully except that some day we will need a special license ( Similar to boaters license) & Training courses to operate ATV's.
As much as I don't agree with a license, I actually see the benefit of the training. I am neutral on that. I would rather see education, training, and licensing over a blanket policy like this.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I can't believe the stupidity of some people,

Helmets like any other PPE are there to protect people because of an unanticipated incident... As for those that say they putt putt and go no more than 15km, I call bull doo doo on you, if you are going that slow then walk.
You fail to see the issue. I do not think many (anyone) would argue that wearing a helmet is a good idea from a safety perspective. This is much like wearing ice cleats when walking on public sidewalks.

Most agree that it is reasonable for non-adults to have a mandatory wear law.

The issue is one of freedom to chose without the state having a law forcing you to protect yourself.

The list of preventable injuries is very long...

Some argue that if you chose not to wear a helmet that you should not be covered by UHC. This is preposterous for many reasons if one things this concept through.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. Winston Churchill
Old 11-29-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Respectfully disagree Rugs.

Kids alone on a 1000 cc monster agree all day but mine started out on a 90 cc, the 90 cc had throttle control. Then as teens i got them a 200 cc Honda foretrax 2wd. Now the boy is 6'3 and 18 yrs old and will get an adult sized one. When they drove the "big" 350 cc i had for me, they had me behind them. Never alone.

But i have seen the vids where a kid guns it and flips forward on daddys big atv and gets rolled over by it. Scary.

As for this Helmet law? I already wear one sledding, I wear one when fun atv riding, wont wear one putting along to moose camp or hunting. I doubt F&W will enforce much as they are never in the back trails etc.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:09 AM
Banned

Funny how people are called stupid, lacking brain cells for not agreeing with the nanny-state lovers on here that need the government to tell them what to do and how to live their lives. To me they are the stupid ones.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:28 AM
Banned

Default Minor

This affects such a small part of the population
not worth getting excited about . By time the
Dips are in their third or fourth term .....they will
Have all Albertans bubble wrapped up.
There is no about it , it's your God given right to
kill yourself and your loved ones if it pleases you
To do so . After seeing some of the damage done to
wilderness by quadders, helmets are a moot point
obviously brain damage is the prerequisite to quad
ownership . Kenney strikes me as a helmet guy .
Why worry if the law can't stop you from texting
Drinking , getting high , etc, while committing
homicide on the roads . Idiots of the world unite
helmet sales will not be rising soon !
Old 11-29-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Mandatory helmets on a quad for kids under 18 on public land is a good idea... besides you are not supposed to be shooting from a quad anyways...
Why only on public land, and not on private land?

Why is private land exempt/ Why are people farming or ranching exempt? It this is really about safety, make everyone wear helmets everywhere?
Old 11-29-2016, 01:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
I guess that the thought of an atv being a work vehicle never entered your mind. The last that I checked my quad had +600 kms on it and based on the hours of use my average speed was only 5 or 6 kph.

Walk? If you want to walk the fence line looking for breaks or pull a trailer load of wood by hand then by all means, help yourself.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
This had better be a joke Rugatika. With your views, this better be a joke, you nanny.
Yeah, well hold on to your hat. I don't think kids should be allowed to drink, drive vehicles, smoke dope, or vote either. ATV's are just too heavy and if they roll over on top of a kid the results can be much more than a smashed head. (never mind the times this has happened to an adult, but then they are adults)

As Sooner mentioned, I could maybe see it if they were under DIRECT and CONSTANT parental supervision and on a small ATV.

Lot's of my friends have switched their kids off of ATV's and onto dirt bikes for this reason. Once they made the switch...injuries went down.

Adults. Do as you please. Once you reach 18 you should be able to make these decisions for yourself. Kids aren't mentally capable yet. (and yes....the argument can easily be made that the age of "kids" is increasing)
Old 11-29-2016, 02:16 PM

I wear my helmet religiously, EXCEPT when hunting... I really don't need the government looking out for my well being, I can take care of myself, it should be my choice. And as an aside... the stats always fail to mention how mant ATV head injuries are alcohol related while not wearing a helmet... I would bet those numbers would be shocking
Old 11-29-2016, 02:24 PM

Just like gun laws it's comeing if you like it or not wear it dont wear it get a ticket don't get a ticket

dosent matter how much you complain I don't think it will make a difference your choice and no I don't have a atv.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
Some people will die regardless of ATV helmet laws, its Darwins way of thinning the herd.
Exactly, helmet laws do nothing to a prevent accidents, and may even make people feel overly secure. If they truly wanted to save lives they would have put on an education course that told you simple things like driving sideways across a hill can result in a roll over, safety supplies you should carry in case of break down, getting stuck, or trees across the trail. Also should be taught some wilderness survival skills.

But no the NDP's brain dead solution is to make everyone wear helmets. So what happens to the guy who rolls his quad and breaks his leg? He doesn't know how to splint it, he doesn't have the supplies for an emergency fire and shelter, and he doesn't have a way to send out a help signal. O right that guy dies, but at least he's wearing a helmet.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:13 PM

Not sure how many people have given a look at the bill but it looks like ranches/farmers (maybe acreage use will fall in this category) are going to be exempt from the law. Unless that was changed and I didn't see it.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auger View Post
Not sure how many people have given a look at the bill but it looks like ranches/farmers (maybe acreage use will fall in this category) are going to be exempt from the law. Unless that was changed and I didn't see it.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk
No law for private lands, some industry i believe and FN from what i heard on Ched.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:37 PM

Less injuries = less hospital beds required = less taxes required.

The helmet law is the inverse of the carbon tax. It will actually do something.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:48 PM

It's already illegal to drink and Atv but the NDPs main speaker who has a TBI from a ATV incident was drinking and ATVING for her first time and did not wear a helmet.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
it's already illegal to drink and atv but the ndps main speaker who has a tbi from a atv incident was drinking and atving for her first time and did not wear a helmet.
tbi?
Old 11-29-2016, 04:04 PM

Smile Just had a revolutionary thought...

What if people were responsible for their own safety? In work, atvs, vehicles, everything. problem solved
Old 11-29-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
tbi?
Traumatic Brain Injury
Old 11-29-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenite View Post
What if people were responsible for their own safety? In work, atvs, vehicles, everything. problem solved
No problem, as long as they took care of their own medicare and such. Don't need to pay for stupid out of my pocket.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
No problem, as long as they took care of their own medicare and such. Don't need to pay for stupid out of my pocket.
OK.
But then those of us who do that, shouldn't have to pay for other people's medicare.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
I only put on hard hats and boots and much other redundant PPE when asked or forced to. It has not saved my life, not once.

If saving lives is number one why do you do anything with any hazard? walking is a hazard, not walking enough is a hazard. We don't need to save everyone, it messes with natural selection and is causing the human de-volution.

I assure you that I have at least 2 brain cells and I rarely wear a seatbelt outside large centers. Bad road conditions, sure. Unfamiliar terrain on the RZR, certainly. Driving a couple miles down the gravel road, no, its not needed.

So laws don't apply to you? You're entitled not to obey them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk