Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2016, 07:30 PM

Perhaps they should make new legislation that if you're injured while riding a quad without a helmet, the costs come out of your pocket and insurance doesn't cover.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:35 PM

I am surprised this government is for helmets. I mean the more brain damage out there, the more votes they get, right?
Old 11-28-2016, 07:35 PM
Banned

Most everyone works together in the bush where I'm from and it won't change much for those who don't want to wear a helmet, unless a signal is put out that is.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
Perhaps they should make new legislation that if you're injured while riding a quad without a helmet, the costs come out of your pocket and insurance doesn't cover.
Same goes for having a heart attack if you're fat.......
Old 11-28-2016, 08:06 PM

Default Breaking News!

Nanny state legislators respond to request to establish new safety regulations for OHV riders. After careful consideration, they discuss extending new laws to other motor vehicle operators.
What will they think of next?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bubble person 2.jpg (30.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg bubble people.jpg (82.6 KB, 61 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 11-28-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Same goes for having a heart attack if you're fat.......
Yep. Also if you smoke,are out of shape,or wear sweat-pants more than 3 days in a row... and the list could go on....
Old 11-28-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Or possibly some are more intelligent than the, "some is good, more is always better" crowd. If you aren't intelligent enough to govern yourself, you are the problem. Mankind survived a fairly long run without legislation. Now its the weak-minded that require their lives legislated from sun-up to sun-down. If people were intelligent enough to not need a nanny state, the human race wouldn't be de-volving.
best line Ive heard in a long time. I'm stealing it
Old 11-28-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Of course I have not held a real rifle! I would never leave my keyboard or moms basement to engage in such activities!
That makes sense. Your original reply didn't hold water, so let's just get snide. Explain to me how anyone that has shot a rifle feels they could achieve a cheek-weld while wearing an open-face helmet. You are a well educated individual, you should be able to answer this.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
That makes sense. Your original reply didn't hold water, so let's just get snide. Explain to me how anyone that has shot a rifle feels they could achieve a cheek-weld while wearing an open-face helmet. You are a well educated individual, you should be able to answer this.
Take the helmet off. They are not exactly glued to your melon.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
People...

it's a helmet. Nope its an infringement on my right to choose. I wear a helmet when it is needed.

Aside from helmet hair..what's the big deal. Loss of clear communication, expense, different inventory of helmets for varying conditions, loss of peripheral vision, neck injury aggravated by added weight. . .

You need PPE for the majority of the jobs out there, No I don't, the government and various institutes need it. I can safely do 99% of my work with 0 PPE.
Seat belts and airbags in cars. Not my choice, just inflated the cost of vehicles neither have saved anyone I personally know. I actually have 2 friends that are alive as a result of not wearing seat belts. Yes I know that is a rare situation.

Riding a pedal bike, motorcycle, rally cars, hockey players ...ETC. Wear helmets. Never ever wore a bicycle helmet, when I cross the US border the helmet comes off on my motorbike, rally car and modern hockey sure I can agree with that.

Give your unprotected melon a shake
And protect it when you need it. Wow you just had a moment of clarity here!!! "When you need it", not at every moment.

Should be common sense and not something the nannies should tell us. Precisely and common sense tells me there are appropriate times to ride without a helmet.
If you need to wear a helmet by all means, but don't feel every user should for every use of their ATV please.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Take the helmet off. They are not exactly glued to your melon.
You were originally asked how you quickly shoot with a helmet on. You responded with wearing an open faced helmet. Now you are saying to take it off??? So what was the point of bringing up the open face helmet?
Old 11-28-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
You were originally asked how you quickly shoot with a helmet on. You responded with wearing an open faced helmet. Now you are saying to take it off??? So what was the point of bringing up the open face helmet?

Hey man. Just trying to solve the issues regarding our new regulation. I would never consider hunting off a quad. Seems like a great way to be unsuccessful.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Hey man. Just trying to solve the issues regarding our new regulation. I would never consider hunting off a quad. Seems like a great way to be unsuccessful.
I don't hunt off a quad, but I'm not going to turn up a 200 class whitetail because I don't happen to be in my spot yet. Not if I can quickly dismount and fire legally. Chickens are mainly harvested for our pot while going to or from camp in said manner.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
I don't hunt off a quad, but I'm not going to turn up a 200 class whitetail because I don't happen to be in my spot yet. Not if I can quickly dismount and fire legally. Chickens are mainly harvested for our pot while going to or from camp in said manner.
Shoot a 200" whitetail and I will have a custom made helmet for you.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Shoot a 200" whitetail and I will have a custom made helmet for you.
Shoot a 200 whitetail and I'll have a heart attack on the spot.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Shoot a 200 whitetail and I'll have a heart attack on the spot.
Something we can both agree on!
Old 11-28-2016, 11:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you need to wear a helmet by all means, but don't feel every user should for every use of their ATV please.
Not sure why you felt the need to rip my thread apart.

Safety equipment should be used at all times, by all people. That should be common sense. Why should one activity where injuries result be any different from anything else. I'm sure those that have suffered concussions wish they had worn a helmet, and I'm sure the people who's brains got splattered could tell you they wish they had.

This might not be the case if the phrase "Hold my beer and watch this" wasn't part of our lexicon.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
They should have constructed the helmet law the same a lifejacket laws... as long as you have a helmet attached to the ATV somewhere, you're good to go.
Better yet - Have all ATV riders wear a helmet and a lifejacket at the same time. You know how those ATV riders are attracted to water - If it just saves one ATV riders life !!

Dodger.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:45 AM
Banned

Default Helmet Law keeps.....

the shallow end of the gene pool full. Why does society continue to keep the shallow end so full with laws like this when we should be thinning this group out?
With a no helmet law and extra fentanal on the streets we could empty the shallow end of the gene pool in a few short years. That would save a lot of tax dollars.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Easy. DOT approved. Hunting theme with the bullet hole in the skull and empty shell casing on the back. Can shoot any of my grouse guns easily with it on and can shoulder quite comfortably my rifle. Wore this on my streetbike all the time.

Not a fan of the law but where there ia a will, there is a way!
Old 11-29-2016, 07:14 AM

Exactly! Most of us are "forced" to wear steel toed boots, hardhats etc at work. If they're such an infringement and take away so much our freedom of choice, we could always quit....

Its about saving lives and keeping your child alive, quit making excuses why you/they shouldn't. We didn't like the aspect of helmets on motorcycles or wearing seat belts when that legislation was introduced either. Now any one of us with more than one brain cell wouldn't think of riding in a vehicle without first doing up our seat belts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBL View Post
I'm much happier to were a helmet on a quad than having to wear a hard hat all the time at work.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmedlicott1 View Post
So if this bill is really about saving lives, why are there so many exemptions? Why does it not apply to everyone , everywhere in Alberta?
Old 11-29-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Easy. DOT approved. Hunting theme with the bullet hole in the skull and empty shell casing on the back. Can shoot any of my grouse guns easily with it on and can shoulder quite comfortably my rifle. Wore this on my streetbike all the time.

Not a fan of the law but where there ia a will, there is a way!
Touche.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Touche.
Helmet and chance of shooting the 200 incher....win win!
Old 11-29-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
Not sure why you felt the need to rip my thread apart.

Safety equipment should be used at all times, by all people. That should be common sense. Why should one activity where injuries result be any different from anything else. I'm sure those that have suffered concussions wish they had worn a helmet, and I'm sure the people who's brains got splattered could tell you they wish they had.

This might not be the case if the phrase "Hold my beer and watch this" wasn't part of our lexicon.
I did not rip your post apart, I gave logical explanations and counter-points.

No safety equipment should not be used at all times. Safety equipment should be used when required. Do you understand that safety equipment creates hazards with its use too?

Could you please provide a list of all activities that results in injuries so we all know when safety equipment is required. Walking results in injuries, I suspect you wear your helmet, knee-pads and elbow-pads while participating in such a hazardous adventure. I recall people that required helmets just to walk around.

What do the people that wore a helmet and got their brains splattered wish they had done? Also, what do people that don't wear helmets that have never ever had an issue wish they had done?

When someone needs to hold my beer and watch is definitely a time when I'm wearing a helmet.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
Exactly! Most of us are "forced" to wear steel toed boots, hardhats etc at work. If they're such an infringement and take away so much our freedom of choice, we could always quit....

Its about saving lives and keeping your child alive, quit making excuses why you/they shouldn't. We didn't like the aspect of helmets on motorcycles or wearing seat belts when that legislation was introduced either. Now any one of us with more than one brain cell wouldn't think of riding in a vehicle without first doing up our seat belts.
I only put on hard hats and boots and much other redundant PPE when asked or forced to. It has not saved my life, not once.

If saving lives is number one why do you do anything with any hazard? walking is a hazard, not walking enough is a hazard. We don't need to save everyone, it messes with natural selection and is causing the human de-volution.

I assure you that I have at least 2 brain cells and I rarely wear a seatbelt outside large centers. Bad road conditions, sure. Unfamiliar terrain on the RZR, certainly. Driving a couple miles down the gravel road, no, its not needed.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Helmet and chance of shooting the 200 incher....win win!
Yep you got me. I even own a skull cap and never thought of it. Not too sure about how it would perform in a rollover in a SxS though.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Moose View Post
the shallow end of the gene pool full. Why does society continue to keep the shallow end so full with laws like this when we should be thinning this group out?
With a no helmet law and extra fentanal on the streets we could empty the shallow end of the gene pool in a few short years. That would save a lot of tax dollars.
After the pool has been cleaned I bet injuries and deaths drop drastically too.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Yep you got me. I even own a skull cap and never thought of it. Not too sure about how it would perform in a rollover in a SxS though.
I honestly think nothing less than a full face helmet would do much good. The skull cap would keep the authorities happy though!
Old 11-29-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I honestly think nothing less than a full face helmet would do much good. The skull cap would keep the authorities happy though!
No different than with street bikes, people wear helmets that are legal, but that do almost nothing to protect them against injury.