Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2016, 01:17 PM
Banned

Default Alberta government set to introduce ATV helmet legislation today

http://globalnews.ca/news/3091936/al.../?sf43678103=1
Old 11-28-2016, 01:22 PM

Shocking it took so long for this to become law. How many deaths and tax dollars spent could have been prevented by morons simply wearing helmets while riding their ATVs? I think Brian Mason is a spud but props to him & others for bringing this legislation to life finally.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:24 PM
Banned

i think private land will have no requirements except for under 18 or so and crown will be helmets all the time

that's my guess
Old 11-28-2016, 01:28 PM

Dumb law, you dont need a helmet on a ATV if you know what your doing and not driving like an idiot.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:28 PM

Thank heavens the nannies are here to protect us!

Next year: Pedestrians will be required to wear Hi-Vis and bicycle helmets.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:29 PM

This is a good thing although people will say nanny state this and that, I have to admit I was the same way, I'd drive most times without, then one day I did have my helmet on and if I hadn't took the two seconds to put it on I'm sure id be a helicopter ride to foothills with a nasty head injury, my grizz 700 came back on top of me and damn near broke the helmet in half..i never ride without one now, I'm very glad I wasn't a statistic that day..
Old 11-28-2016, 01:30 PM
Banned

Hopefully they will look carefully at the number of people that suffer head injuries in vehicle accidents and from falls as well. I think it would be a great idea for the government to require helmet laws for people in vehicles on public roadways and pedestrians as well. The amount of trauma and fiscal costs that could be saved would be much greater than ATV helmet laws.

Hopefully they will tackle this next.

http://www.bisociety.org/car-acciden...-brain-injury/
Old 11-28-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Dumb law, you dont need a helmet on a ATV if you know what your doing and not driving like an idiot.
not everybody is driving like an idiot, you need to have one driving a street bike why not a quad...
Old 11-28-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Shocking it took so long for this to become law. How many deaths and tax dollars spent could have been prevented by morons simply wearing helmets while riding their ATVs? I think Brian Mason is a spud but props to him & others for bringing this legislation to life finally.
Exactly. Since people are not smart enough to wear one on their own accord they had to make it law.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
not everybody is driving like an idiot, you need to have one driving a street bike why not a quad...
Because it takes peoples choice away. Far more people are injured falling on ice in the winter. Perhaps all pedestrians should wear helmets. Or even better we can all live in little bubbles and never get hurt. O well this helps me make the decision between a new horse or quad a bit easier.

Also a Street bike does 200km/h, most quads dont go over 90k. Mine I would ride mostly 10-15km/h. Maybe I should wear a helmet on my lawn tractor as well. If I was doing high speeds I would wear a helmet, I always have on my dirt bike.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
If you have to have a helmet while driving a street bike, why not in a car? What an argument.

I'm OK with legislation for kids. If, as adult, I want to risk my life, my business. What's next? Helmets for x-country skiing, cycling, toboggan riding, running (hey, the path might be icy).

"If it saves even one life..." is the stupidest sentence ever uttered. A whole restrictive, paternalistic culture was launched with that one sentence.

These nannies should combine forces to save time and effort.... you know, helmet laws for smokers. Special carbon taxes on soft drinks.... the possibilities are (unfortunately) endless.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:42 PM

If they are going to make helmets mandatory, the least that they could do is make proper helmets necessary, rather than the useless beanies that many people are now wearing on their street motorcycles.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
If you have to have a helmet while driving a street bike, why not in a car? What an argument.

I'm OK with legislation for kids. If, as adult, I want to risk my life, my business. What's next? Helmets for x-country skiing, cycling, toboggan riding, running (hey, the path might be icy).

"If it saves even one life..." is the stupidest sentence ever uttered. A whole restrictive, paternalistic culture was launched with that one sentence.

These nannies should combine forces to save time and effort.... you know, helmet laws for smokers. Special carbon taxes on soft drinks.... the possibilities are (unfortunately) endless.
Because public health care.

And yes...the possibilities are endless. They're just getting started.

Best show on Earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Hopefully they will look carefully at the number of people that suffer head injuries in vehicle accidents and from falls as well. I think it would be a great idea for the government to require helmet laws for people in vehicles on public roadways and pedestrians as well. The amount of trauma and fiscal costs that could be saved would be much greater than ATV helmet laws.

Helmets for everyone !! Also helmets required when on AO. Oh the wonderful possiblies !
Old 11-28-2016, 01:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guywiththemule View Post
Helmets for everyone !!
Yes. Just think of the head injury to this poor fellow that could have been prevented. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRnwK01n904
Old 11-28-2016, 01:45 PM
Banned

what about the guys that quad hunt?

it's awfully hard to shoot a rifle with a helmet on
Old 11-28-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
You don't need seatbelts in vehicles either, except for that other guy who is an idiot who may hit you. Yes, it takes choice away. It's also for safety, and may keep some weekend warrior from being killed. If it makes it an easier pill to swallow, maybe it will keep insurance rates down.

No it won't!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-28-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post

Open faced helmet. I figured most quadders would be more upset about having a helmet get in the way of their beer drinking.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post

Don't stop there, make helmets mandatory for anyone on a ladder, balcony, deck, or stairs. If it saves even one life ?
Old 11-28-2016, 01:51 PM
Banned

Hunting, checking traps, cutting firewood, putting pier sections in/out of the lake......all things that I probably won't wear a helmet for. I guess that I'm a rebel now!
Old 11-28-2016, 01:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Open faced helmet.
do they make those in camo?
Old 11-28-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
do they make those in camo?
http://images.motorcycle-superstore....-Leaf-Camo.jpg

There seems to be several manufacturers.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Open faced helmet. I figured most quadders would be more upset about having a helmet get in the way of their beer drinking.
Perhaps harsher fines or jail time for those under the influence would have been better. Ive seen far more crashes involving quads and alcohol then I have with sober people not wearing a helmet.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Perhaps harsher fines or jail time for those under the influence would have been better. Ive seen far more crashes involving quads and alcohol then I have with sober people not wearing a helmet.
I believe the reason you see more quad crashes with quadders involved with alcohol is that's its more common to drink and quad than to not drink and quad. A trip to any of the popular spots on a summer long weekend will make this obvious.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I believe the reason you see more quad crashes with quadders involved with alcohol is that's its more common to drink and quad than to not drink and quad. A trip to any of the popular spots on a summer long weekend will make this obvious.
So why are we not cracking down on the idiots instead of the law abiding responsible users?
Old 11-28-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:

Since I have to stop my quad, get off, get my rifle out of the scabbard, and load it before shooting I'm not worried about also taking off my helmet.

Now if you are going Rambo on Bamby, shooting off the back while your buddy chases them down, that's another story. You likely don't care about a helmet law at that point however.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
Since I have to stop my quad, get off, get my rifle out of the scabbard, and load it before shooting I'm not worried about also taking off my helmet.

Now if you are going Rambo on Bamby, shooting off the back while your buddy chases them down, that's another story.
there's nothing wrong with jumping off your quad and slamming in a mag
Old 11-28-2016, 02:31 PM
Gone Hunting

I like the idea of more laws, more police, bigger gov't.

Helmets for tree stand users and judo mats around the base of the stand.

Rubber windshields and hair bags instead of air bags.

Face shields for folks with Halitosis..

Rubber gloves for....well...... everything sticky or stinky.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-28-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Because it takes peoples choice away. Far more people are injured falling on ice in the winter. Perhaps all pedestrians should wear helmets. Or even better we can all live in little bubbles and never get hurt. O well this helps me make the decision between a new horse or quad a bit easier.

Also a Street bike does 200km/h, most quads dont go over 90k. Mine I would ride mostly 10-15km/h. Maybe I should wear a helmet on my lawn tractor as well. If I was doing high speeds I would wear a helmet, I always have on my dirt bike.
When you have publicly funded health care, you pay for that security with liberty.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2016, 02:35 PM

Sorry Rug, didn't see your post about health care when I commented.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk