Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I don't like this part or much of anything about this bill cooked up by a housewife.

Definition 1

A hunting firearm is defined as any firearm with a smoothbore or striated barrel that is more than 470 mm long, in other words a shotgun or rifle. Semi-automatic weapons are not included in the definition of hunting firearm, with the exception of 22 caliber rim-fire semi-automatic rifles.

Winchester 100, Remington 742 and Browning BARS just to mention a few will be banned?
Along with the Bennelli, Valmet, the older Remington semis, and any others I have forgotten , the SL8 for one.
"striated"?? I always thought that meant straight groves.
Why not just say "rifled" .
Somebody obviously knew nothing about what they were talking about, yet some people welcome this as an "evidence based" bill?
The evidence is there alright.......
Cat
Old 08-26-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The problem with the safe storage letter of the law is that a if there is ammo near, a kid could possibly figure out how to put the bolt in and load the gun( it has happened, and a fatality resulted!)
I saw the documents that were done on a research paper for safe storage and handling - Manitoba IIRC is where it happened.
Cat
Agree completely... I was just pointing out what was legal, not suggesting it was a good idea. Some of our storage and transportation regulations are so nonsensical that I half expect to find a requirement that restricted firearms must be transported in the center of a pentagram drawn on the floor of your trunk.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Along with the Bennelli, Valmet, the older Remington semis, and any others I have forgotten , the SL8 for one.
"striated"?? I always thought that meant straight groves.
Why not just say "rifled" .
Somebody obviously knew nothing about what they were talking about, yet some people welcome this as an "evidence based" bill?
The evidence is there alright.......
Cat
Given these two definitions,
Definition 1

A hunting firearm is defined as any firearm with a smoothbore or striated barrel that is more than 470 mm long, in other words a shotgun or rifle. Semi-automatic weapons are not included in the definition of hunting firearm, with the exception of 22 calibre rim-fire semi-automatic rifles.

Definition 2

A circumscribed firearm is any firearm, other than a prohibited firearm, that has a barrel equal to or less than 470 millimetres, such as handguns or firearms that are capable of discharging centre-fire ammunition in a semi-automatic manner.
Where does that leave a semi-auto 17HMR? It is not a "hunting firearm" but it is not a "circumscribed firearm"... yup a lot of time and knowledgeable thought went into that.

ARG

Quote:
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:21 AM

I know they are talking about firearms, but when they use word's like circumcised and striated to describe barrels, I've got to wonder where their minds are at.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:26 AM

cir·cum·scribe
(sûr′kəm-skrīb′)
tr.v. cir·cum·scribed, cir·cum·scrib·ing, cir·cum·scribes
1. To draw a line around; encircle.

a. To form or mark the limits of; delineate: The hedge circumscribes the property.

[B]b. To limit narrowly; restrict:

3. a. To enclose (a polygon or polyhedron) within a configuration of lines, curves, or surfaces so that every vertex of the enclosed object is incident on the enclosing configuration.

b. To erect (such a configuration) around a polygon or polyhedron: circumscribe a circle around a square.

I think the key word there is restrict
Old 08-26-2015, 10:57 AM

One of my favourite tidbits from that pile of tripe:
replace the registration certificate with an inscription certificate. You can appreciate that the terms "registration" and "registered" have been used so often that we simply thought that using the term "inscription" would eliminate some anxiety. I think that using the term inscription does not evoke feelings of fear;
Does she really think we care what it is called???

ARG

Quote:
Old 08-26-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
One of my favourite tidbits from that pile of tripe:
replace the registration certificate with an inscription certificate. You can appreciate that the terms "registration" and "registered" have been used so often that we simply thought that using the term "inscription" would eliminate some anxiety. I think that using the term inscription does not evoke feelings of fear;
Does she really think we care what it is called??? ARG
I suspect that this language is proposed in order to align with the requirement of the UN Small Arms Treaty for additional identification information to be stamped or 'inscribed' on every firearm, and also for keeping a current 'record' (registry) of all 'small arms', including all markings, serial numbers or inscriptions.

The CPC has refused to ratify this treaty, so it currently has no effect in Canada, but we can be sure that ratification will happen quickly if the LPC or the NDP form government.

IMHO this October may be the most important election in history for all those who believe in citizen ownership, possession and use of firearms. I am not a big fan of SH or the CPC, but the fact is that if any other party forms government we can say goodbye to shooting and hello to complete citizen disarmament (and possible future democide). I will be holding my nose for the 15 seconds it will take to vote for the SH CPC, and against the LPC & NDP & GPC (all of whom are antis & gun grabbers).

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.
Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post

IMHO this October may be the most important election in history for all those who believe in citizen ownership, possession and use of firearms. I am not a big fan of SH or the CPC, but the fact is that if any other party forms government we can say goodbye to shooting and hello to complete citizen disarmament (and possible future democide). I will be holding my nose for the 15 seconds it will take to vote for the SH CPC, and against the LPC & NDP & GPC (all of whom are antis & gun grabbers).

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.
Good Luck, YMMV.
I should buy stock in PVC/ABS pipe, and perhaps shovels.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:21 PM

As much as I don't want to be a single issue voter, I think the more people that make clear they are using their vote in regards to THIS ISSUE, the clearer it will be to any party that they need to SUPPORT law abiding firearms owners.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adogwiththumbs View Post
As much as I don't want to be a single issue voter, I think the more people that make clear they are using their vote in regards to THIS ISSUE, the clearer it will be to any party that they need to SUPPORT law abiding firearms owners.
BINGO

IMHO, we must make it clear to all political parties that we are single issue voters and will accept NO COMPROMISE.

Political parties form their legislative intent based on polls primarily taken from non-shooters who do not much care about firearms one way or the other, and will base their actual votes on other issues. Single issue and special interest groups have great power and can easily be the deciding factor in many close ridings which can often determine who will form government. This is our only strength, but we must stand united or we are lost.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
I half expect to find a requirement that restricted firearms must be transported in the center of a pentagram drawn on the floor of your trunk.

Shhhh! Don't give them any ideas!
Old 08-26-2015, 02:48 PM

nevermind. edited
Old 08-26-2015, 02:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
nevermind. edited
Ooooooohh.....You broke Godwins law
Old 08-26-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
Ooooooohh.....You broke Godwins law
Hey, I thought it was pretty witty! But ultimately in poor taste and disrespectful to the real victims. Hence the edit. You are too quick though.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
BINGO

IMHO, we must make it clear to all political parties that we are single issue voters and will accept NO COMPROMISE.

Political parties form their legislative intent based on polls primarily taken from non-shooters who do not much care about firearms one way or the other, and will base their actual votes on other issues. Single issue and special interest groups have great power and can easily be the deciding factor in many close ridings which can often determine who will form government. This is our only strength, but we must stand united or we are lost.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Bang on.