Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzzzz View Post
My dogs breath smells like dog food...
My dogs breath smells like peanut butter.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:15 PM

Good read for the bleeding Hearts, meat heads, shoot or shovel people.

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/kidsdog2.html
Old 03-24-2015, 02:34 PM

Default Just as serious as...

Honestly, if this was a "known issue" with the dog, there should have been more supervision. If it was my dog and this had happened before, the dog would be put down. I have two larger dogs and if one posed any danger or threat to my family, or anyone to that matter it would no longer be here. There is a place for dogs who have issues, like an acreage or something. Not in a home with children. You got lucky it was just a scratch. Could of been a HELL of a lot worse.
Just my opinion, a scratch should be taken just as serious as a bite or worse!
Old 03-24-2015, 02:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by javlin101 View Post
Good read for the bleeding Hearts, meat heads, shoot or shovel people.

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/kidsdog2.html
Awesome article. Should be required reading for anyone that will encounter a dog in their life. In fact I don't know why they don't take a half hour every year in school and go over some of these common sense type of things with kids.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
why? it's perfectly in line. the wife wont let the child go to the house with the dog still there.
how often to parents go anywhere without their children?

there is a pattern of behavior, the dog is biting children. maybe i'm just extremely not tolerant of aggressive behavior but that dog would have had a steak dinner and a long walk. my dogs wouldn't even dream of biting anyone; when my dog bumped into my nephew he ran and hid. he knows his place in the pack and he was afraid the pack (me) would be mad.

i'm told not seeing your family and being angry at them isn't good for your relationship.
Sorry to inform you your dog is a dog you are a human you are not is pack no matter what you may think you are his master not his alpha
He runs and hides because he is afraid of you because you are bigger and miss treat him not because he respects you like he would the alpha of his pack.

Mack
Old 03-24-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
Sorry to inform you your dog is a dog you are a human you are not is pack no matter what you may think you are his master not his alpha
He runs and hides because he is afraid of you because you are bigger and miss treat him not because he respects you like he would the alpha of his pack.

Mack
That's contrary to everything I've ever heard about dog behavior.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasteland.soldier View Post
That's contrary to everything I've ever heard about dog behavior.
That would be because what he said was wrong.

Cheers
Old 03-25-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
That would be because what he said was wrong.

Cheers
In your opinion which is like a butt everyone has one
When I have dogs they are a tool they don't live in my house I don't live in their yard.They do what I say because I'm their master not part of their family. I don't raise them to my level or degrade myself to theirs.
Mack

Last edited by Mackinaw; 03-25-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
In your opinion which is like a butt everyone has one
When I have dogs they are a tool they don't live in my house I don't live in their yard.They do what I say because I'm their master not part of their family. I don't raise them to my level or degrade myself to theirs.
Mack
the pack method of training is extremely effective and widely recognized for companion dogs.

i've never trained a dog specifically for working/hunting it might be more effective using a different method.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
the pack method of training is extremely effective and widely recognized for companion dogs.

i've never trained a dog specifically for working/hunting it might be more effective using a different method.
Animals have always been a tool or food to me.not a companion if you say your method works for you then I should not have disagreed with it. My apologizes.

Mack
Old 03-25-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
That was one thing I remember about my dad training our dog when I was a youngster.. he would get right down with the dog and put his face near her while she was eating.. If she growled or anything she was corrected. She got to the point that I could go up to her and take the bowl and she would just look at me. She knew her role in the house and it wasn't giving out new buttholes to learning children!
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I don't care...cause it worked for us.
We did the same thing.
When our dog was a pup, just new to the house, I did the same thing as your dad.
When we gave the dog it's food, i got right down there with him...instinctively he growled and snarled...as a harmless 6 week old pup.
Once he got used to this and realized I wasn't stealing his food, just invading his space, he went on eating...once he got on with his eating, I would rub his tummy, pull his tale, pet his head....all the things one of my kids might do accidentally or on purpose one day while the dog was eating.
I feel this desensitized him to disturbances and surprises while he was eating and bomb proofed him.

One year later the things that dog puts up with from my kids are unbelievable...he just looks over at me with that sad "little help here??" look.

Both the kids and the dog are still corrected regularly and often. No bites, growls or snarls...ever. (except from me....pack leader, lol)

Worked for us, but started right from day one.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
We did the same thing.
When our dog was a pup, just new to the house, I did the same thing as your dad.
When we gave the dog it's food, i got right down there with him...instinctively he growled and snarled...as a harmless 6 week old pup.
Once he got used to this and realized I wasn't stealing his food, just invading his space, he went on eating...once he got on with his eating, I would rub his tummy, pull his tale, pet his head....all the things one of my kids might do accidentally or on purpose one day while the dog was eating.
I feel this desensitized him to disturbances and surprises while he was eating and bomb proofed him.

One year later the things that dog puts up with from my kids are unbelievable...he just looks over at me with that sad "little help here??" look.

Both the kids and the dog are still corrected regularly and often. No bites, growls or snarls...ever. (except from me....pack leader, lol)

I did the same thing when my dog was a pup, (and still do it once in a while now)...and also make them sit until I tell them they can eat.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:52 PM

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Rover walks the plank immediately.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
I did the same thing when my dog was a pup, (and still do it once in a while now)...and also make them sit until I tell them they can eat.
It's all about the training. If you have a well trained and socialized dog there should be no issues. I started training my pup from day one and once she started her nipping we really started enforcing the no biting. She has a soft bite now and should not bite anyone. In saying that we still always supervise her with the kids.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:26 PM

Rather than putting the dog down why not just give it to someone who will take the time and effort to train it.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:28 PM

OK before we put the dog down, how old is the dog? I assumed 10+ years since it had hearing loss. Also what breed is the dog?
Old 03-26-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
We did the same thing.

I did the same thing the minute I found out I was pregnant. I also always kept in mind that dogs are dogs and kids are kids. Never had any problems and my two golden retrievers were my kids' biggest protectors.

Still miss those dogs dearly
Old 03-26-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-70sapper View Post
Regardless of anything, still attacked a child. Provoked, unprovoked, even though it sucks, doenst matter. Only one way to go. What happens if it gets out of the house one day and a neighbourhood kid tries to approach it and it does something worse? A good dog should never attack a child, no matter how much that child may provoke it.
Exactly the above.

Micro-management leaves way too much room for oversight, error, miscommunication where the consequences could be permanent disfigurement to this or another family's child.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-70sapper
Regardless of anything, still attacked a child. Provoked, unprovoked, even though it sucks, doenst matter. Only one way to go. What happens if it gets out of the house one day and a neighbourhood kid tries to approach it and it does something worse? A good dog should never attack a child, no matter how much that child may provoke it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
Exactly the above.

Micro-management leaves way too much room for oversight, error, miscommunication where the consequences could be permanent disfigurement to this or another family's child.
I have to agree with 45-70 and twofifty on this. Anytime a dog bites a human it is a candidate for getting put down. There may be mitigating factors that save the dog, but if was biting a child, particularly on the face. Sorry Dog is to be put down.
Your in-laws are very fortunate that it was family that was bitten. What happens when a stranger (child) gets bitten by the dog. Could be costly.
But that isn't what drives my feelings. We need to remember these are animals. They are not allowed to bite us. Absolutely dogs should be trained, but when they cross the line and bite or attack a human, zero tolerance. You can argue that some humans are far worse than most dogs, and some dogs are far better than most humans. I'd probably agree with some of the examples. But it still comes down to an animal harming a human. Not allowed. And not something you should excuse and try and do better next time.

Not sure if I'm expressing my feelings correctly here, I have two dogs and I love them dearly. But if they attacked a child, I'd put them down. I had to do exactly that with my last dog. He bit my son, a child that had played with him for the previous five years. Dog died.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:00 PM
Banned

I think there is a big difference between a dog biting someone and a dog attacking someone. I feel bad for all the dogs that have been "taken out back" for something their owner did wrong.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I think there is a big difference between a dog biting someone and a dog attacking someone. I feel bad for all the dogs that have been "taken out back" for something their owner did wrong.
You don't consider biting to be an attack?
Old 03-26-2015, 03:27 PM

Have to agree Rug, from the original post the dog did not ATTACK the child it was most likely startled and not liking kids in the first place gave a warning nip. Unfortunately the kid had his face in the right place at the wrong time If the dog truly bit the child he would have more than scratches.

I cannot believe that any dog no matter how well trained will not nip or bite if provoked or abused long enough. Their instincts will kick in eventually and the animal will protect its self.

In this case there was no attack but a warning sent out and the adults were at fault to trust an animal that was known to dislike kids. We are not talking Cujo here for pete sakes.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybuster View Post
Not at all, have you seen a dog attack something?
Old 03-26-2015, 03:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybuster View Post
Nope. A dog uses it's mouth for tons of things. If the dog was attacking that child, the child would not have fared as well as he did. The dog was telling the child to stop doing what he was doing.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Nope. A dog uses it's mouth for tons of things. If the dog was attacking that child, the child would not have fared as well as he did. The dog was telling the child to stop doing what he was doing.
Only problem I see with it is that this is the 2nd occurrence, and the family will have more children around. If the dog is a larger breed and over 10 years old it most likely has a ton of health problems coming up right away and you'd be doing it a favour as well as keeping the family safe by putting it down. If it were a 4year old dog I'd say try training or give the dog to someone who won't have as many kids around.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Only problem I see with it is that this is the 2nd occurrence, and the family will have more children around. If the dog is a larger breed and over 10 years old it most likely has a ton of health problems coming up right away and you'd be doing it a favour as well as keeping the family safe by putting it down. If it were a 4year old dog I'd say try training or give the dog to someone who won't have as many kids around.
Yikes. Both my dogs are over 10, over 55lbs, and no health problems at all. And even if they did have health problems I wouldn't put them down just because one of my relatives failed to heed my warning about my dog in my house over a nip.

Some of you guys are making it sound like the dog picked the kid up by the throat and rag dolled him.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Yikes. Both my dogs are over 10, over 55lbs, and no health problems at all. And even if they did have health problems I wouldn't put them down just because one of my relatives failed to heed my warning about my dog in my house over a nip.

Some of you guys are making it sound like the dog picked the kid up by the throat and rag dolled him.
Two bites to a face can't be ignored, if it was my kid at your house she wouldn't be going back as long as the dog was there. And how old are your dogs, most large breeds die before 15 years, and your doing them a favour if you put them down before their health goes.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Two bites to a face can't be ignored, if it was my kid at your house she wouldn't be going back as long as the dog was there. And how old are your dogs, most large breeds die before 15 years, and your doing them a favour if you put them down before their health goes.
They are 10 and 11. I can absolutely guarantee you I will NOT be putting them down BEFORE their health goes.

Yikes again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs
Old 03-26-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
They are 10 and 11. I can absolutely guarantee you I will NOT be putting them down BEFORE their health goes.

Yikes again.
Maybe I didn't word it properly. What I'm saying is that the owner at best would maybe get 3-5 more years with his dog, with most likely half those being filled with health problems. As a compromise putting down the dog a bit early before it started getting major health issues would be good for the dog, and it also keeps the children safe when they go over.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:59 PM

ok as the OP stated "my father in-law knows he doesn't like kids because my bastard nephew tormented him when he was young the dog took a big chunk out of his face,in that situation my nephew deserved it"

The first occurrence was provoked, the second was a warning the child was getting to close and everyone was aware of the dogs dislike of kids. not the dogs fault.