Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
So a well trained dog should be forced to take abuse from people around it? And he who owns a dog that won't take the abuse is a bad owner?

Wow. We expect a dog to respect our human way of being, but show no respect in return...
No dog should be abused but it's the owners responsibility to deal with any abuse, not the dogs. No matter what, the dog should never harm anyone, just the way it is. I can't believe that this is a surprise to some of you.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by javlin101 View Post

Were the children disciplined? Not the way a dog should be treated.
when he interacts with children they're in the 1-3 year old range. you can explain it but i swear the dog is smarter. also it's not my place.

if he doesn't like it he goes to his basket. it's his safe area and it's explained that no one is allowed to touch him in there and i will enforce that rule even if the parents don't reinforce it with their child.

and for the record he's a huge suck he loves every second i swear when he's playing with kids and they pull his ear for balance he doesn't even show that it hurts.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:23 AM

I got it!

SUE THE FATHER-IN-LAW! There's your son's college fund right there.
Banned

Lots of this on the thread:

Dog bites, bye, bye nice to know you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bleeding Heart.jpg (13.7 KB, 18 views)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-70sapper View Post
No dog should be abused but it's the owners responsibility to deal with any abuse, not the dogs. No matter what, the dog should never harm anyone, just the way it is. I can't believe that this is a surprise to some of you.
And there's an old say that if you beat a dog long enough, its gonna bite you.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
So a well trained dog should be forced to take abuse from people around it?
little children don't mean to be rough but it happens. they explore the world and haven't gathered the concepts of interacting properly yet.

if a grown man poked my dog in the eye i'd poke him in the eye right back. as pack leader that is my job. my dog would be expected to still not bite.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
So a well trained dog should be forced to take abuse from people around it? And he who owns a dog that won't take the abuse is a bad owner?

Wow. We expect a dog to respect our human way of being, but show no respect in return...
When I was a kid, my dad taught our dog to leave if it was "taking abuse". Of course I was taught to be kind to the dog but he wasn't willing to rely on just teaching me. Kids don't always learn the first time and he didn't want me to have my face eaten.

If a dog owner won't teach a dog not to bite kids and then has kids over to his house around the dog.. then yes, I would say that's a bad dog owner.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-70sapper View Post
I can't believe that this is a surprise to some of you.
Believe it. Some people treat them like humans.. People actually treat them better than humans. It's no wonder that they won't deal with the dog properly when a child gets bitten. Poor puppy was being disrespected! LOL
Old 03-24-2015, 10:31 AM

Take that kid back to grandpa's again. We need a good "man bites dog" headline.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
little children don't mean to be rough but it happens. they explore the world and haven't gathered the concepts of interacting properly yet.

if a grown man poked my dog in the eye i'd poke him in the eye right back. as pack leader that is my job. my dog would be expected to still not bite.
Little children don't mean to be rough... This is why parents say the word "no" so often.

You say your dog is a big suck but lets say one of your kids really hurts the dog - so what happens if your dog at some point says "i've had enough" and nips to prove a point Fish?

The dog pays for it right?

I posted earlier about my friends 3 year old trying to ride my 14 pound Shihtzu cross, he got nipped. That dog never had a mean bone in her body, never so much as growled - but it happened that day.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:43 AM

These people breed dogs??

When a dog bites a kid, it's bad news...period.

Anyone who breeds dogs should be well versed in the behaviour of the dogs they breed, and how to correct and prevent that behaviour.

Clearly, these people should not be breeding dogs...
Old 03-24-2015, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Little children don't mean to be rough... This is why parents say the word "no" so often.

You say your dog is a big suck but lets say one of your kids really hurts the dog - so what happens if your dog at some point says "i've had enough" and nips to prove a point Fish?

The dog pays for it right?

I posted earlier about my friends 3 year old trying to ride my 14 pound Shihtzu cross, he got nipped. That dog never had a mean bone in her body, never so much as growled - but it happened that day.
a young child sunk her teeth into his nose!!! he barely reacted and slowly got up to go hide. the no's were said and all that stuff but the dog reacted perfectly.

i'm not worried as long as he can go somewhere and be safe. if he was backed into a corner it might be different but that is a very different scenario

a 3 year old should know better than to try to ride a 10lb dog still the dog should have yelped but not bitten
Old 03-24-2015, 11:39 AM

For the fools suggesting that an animal should take any and all abuse bestowed upon it need a reality check. They all have their point of no more. Every dog will be different. One of my dogs loves children, the other one needs a bit to warm up. While one dog is content to be stood on, poked, hair pulled for extensive periods, the other prefers not to have any of it. My kid is 18 months old and knows when the dog has had enough. He knows "leave the dog alone" means exactly that, not go back and poke the damn thing again. Train the kid and the pets. If you still feel that the child can do no wrong, I'm sorry but get a stuffed toy. Its going to save you grief in the long run.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:46 AM
Banned

I didn't read the whole thread...I'm sure I know the two arguments on either side, but I'll post mine just for the record anyway.

Dog doesn't like kids. Warned about it. Kid got away with being in the dogs space for some time. Complacency. Kid went right up to dogs face and got bit. I hate to come right out and say who's fault this was, but it wasn't the dog's, and the dog should not suffer more than maybe a time out or time in the kennel.

I NEVER leave my dogs alone with kids under the age of 12 or so. No matter how well behaved they are or how much you trust a kid to listen to you about how to handle dogs, they will always want to wrap their arms around the dog, kiss it (easy for a dog to interpret this as an attack), pull it's tail etc etc.

If it was my dog it would have been in the kennel when kids are over, and if it was my kid, I would have been watching him and keeping him away from the dog. Sorry.

I'll just add that I do have a dog that is not very tolerant of kids. A kid can pet her, but she'll wander away eventually. I have no idea how she would react if she was backed up to a wall and a kid came up to her to kiss her because I've never allowed that situation to happen. I know she's uncomfortable around kids. Around kids she's either in my direct sight or in her kennel.

Last edited by rugatika; 03-24-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:53 AM

Every living thing (dogs, humans, cats, etc.) make mistakes. Ideally everyone should be able to handle the situation without resorting to a physical act but sometimes things don't go go plan.

I would think that most guys in here have been in a scuffle or two over their lifetimes. Should it have resorted to physical violence? The answer is no but I know for me that it has. Should I be put down? Another thing, I know alot more than a dog that doing so is bad.

Push anything to the limit and there will be consequences. In this situation it kind of sounds like a no harm no foul situation. Keep the kids away and lock of the dog when company comes over, the little scrapes will heal up in time.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
I didn't read the whole thread...I'm sure I know the two arguments on either side, but I'll post mine just for the record anyway.

Dog doesn't like kids. Warned about it. Kid got away with being in the dogs space for some time. Complacency. Kid went right up to dogs face and got bit. I hate to come right out and say who's fault this was, but it wasn't the dog's, and the dog should not suffer more than maybe a time out or time in the kennel.

I NEVER leave my dogs alone with kids under the age of 12 or so. No matter how well behaved they are or how much you trust a kid to listen to you about how to handle dogs, they will always want to wrap their arms around the dog, kiss it (easy for a dog to interpret this as an attack), pull it's tail etc etc.

If it was my dog it would have been in the kennel when kids are over, and if it was my kid, I would have been watching him and keeping him away from the dog. Sorry.

I'll just add that I do have a dog that is not very tolerant of kids. A kid can pet her, but she'll wander away eventually. I have no idea how she would react if she was backed up to a wall and a kid came up to her to kiss her because I've never allowed that situation to happen. I know she's uncomfortable around kids. Around kids she's either in my direct sight or in her kennel.
Good post and rational thinking sir and I agree fully. My 2 medium dogs are very kid friendly but are monitored closely when small kids are around. I would bet this kid did not get a bite but a nip that said "don't do that". If the dog actually attacked the child then may be a different outcome.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knownonscents View Post
First off. That sucks that happened. Good thing it was minor. It does sound like a few lessons were learned and can be avoided with proper planning in the future. Some dogs are dangerous and when not climatized properly in their upbringing shouldn't be left unsupervised with children or even other dogs for that matter.

With that being said, Mac. Pit bulls really? I think just "dog" is far more appropriate. You coulda said Shepard, husky, chihuahua or any other for that matter. Like pit bulls need an uneducated bad rap any further then they already have. And yes. We have 2 pitbulls. Neither one of them would ever consider biting. Not ever. The way they are raised.

Sorry for the derailment but that was an ignorant stereotype that gets my blood boiling.
I didn't want to stir the pot, but I noticed the pit bull comment as well. no need for this, any dog can be dangerous, get educated and stop picking on pitbulls! I've grown up with dogs my whole life, my lab/collie mix used to nip our ankles when we rode bikes as kids and our pure bread rotti was dog selective and ripped into our beagle pretty good. Best/smartest dog I've had was a rotti's/Shepard cross but my pitty is by far the biggest sucks of all the dogs I've ever owned!

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

http://youtu.be/3JbTBYk7xII

http://youtu.be/Ujl2kz1M8y8
Old 03-24-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Pretty much yup. Sorry op, but being a father myself, and knowing that pertanent information, I would only have myself to blame for endangering my 3 year old. Don't know how I would even live with myself if my lil guy lost an eye or something.... And grandpa should either not allow your child in his house or make arrangements for dog to be in another room or kennel while grandkids are visiting. You gambled.... You lost.... Thankfully it wasn't serious.
I would say this sums it up best, there was a known risk and it could have been avoided, lock the dog up when the child is around and there will be no more problems.

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

http://youtu.be/3JbTBYk7xII

http://youtu.be/Ujl2kz1M8y8
Old 03-24-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzzzz View Post
Clearly, these people should not be breeding dogs...
Clearly some people shouldn't have kids.
100% grown ups fault unless the 3year old or the dog are prodigies.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingPenguin View Post
For the fools suggesting that an animal should take any and all abuse bestowed upon it need a reality check. They all have their point of no more. Every dog will be different. One of my dogs loves children, the other one needs a bit to warm up. While one dog is content to be stood on, poked, hair pulled for extensive periods, the other prefers not to have any of it. My kid is 18 months old and knows when the dog has had enough. He knows "leave the dog alone" means exactly that, not go back and poke the damn thing again. Train the kid and the pets. If you still feel that the child can do no wrong, I'm sorry but get a stuffed toy. Its going to save you grief in the long run.
You better hope that your 18 month old never makes a mistake concerning your dog when it's "had enough".
Old 03-24-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.M.Anderson View Post
I would think that most guys in here have been in a scuffle or two over their lifetimes. Should it have resorted to physical violence? The answer is no but I know for me that it has. Should I be put down?
Fortunately the "dogs = human" crowd isn't in control and we don't put down humans for the same things we put down mutts for...
Old 03-24-2015, 12:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
You better hope that your 18 month old never makes a mistake concerning your dog when it's "had enough".
we dealt with it when i was a kid. the dog was given a treat and i was young so i picked up his treat and he tried to tear me a new one. literally, i had stitches on my behind.

we tried training the dog, i remember my dad taking his food away and the dog growling and biting. as long as you didn't touch his food he was a great dog.

he ended up going to another home or so i was told.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
we dealt with it when i was a kid. the dog was given a treat and i was young so i picked up his treat and he tried to tear me a new one. literally, i had stitches on my behind.

we tried training the dog, i remember my dad taking his food away and the dog growling and biting. as long as you didn't touch his food he was a great dog.

he ended up going to another home or so i was told.
That was one thing I remember about my dad training our dog when I was a youngster.. he would get right down with the dog and put his face near her while she was eating.. If she growled or anything she was corrected. She got to the point that I could go up to her and take the bowl and she would just look at me. She knew her role in the house and it wasn't giving out new buttholes to learning children!
Old 03-24-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post

We are never far from him. I'm not going to lie and say all of his interactions with the cat and two dogs is supervised, but we are never far away. In fact, I've got the husky shep cross behind me and the rottie shep is currently up stairs sleeping on his bed. As for the kid. Hes busy tearing my home office apart.
My dogs are very patient with children, the husky had a child two knuckles deep into his eye and he sure screamed, the friends kid was crying because he was scared, but no one was hurt. I'm not going to gamble on my dogs and say I trust them with my kid 100%, but I don't panic if I'm out of the room for 10 minutes
The rottie tends to keep his distance until hes comfortable. But once he is, the dog is first one to try and comfort a crying a child. Hang out at the foot of the crib etc.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:18 PM
Banned

The old God shall live..
Old 03-24-2015, 01:27 PM

You knew the reputation of the dog.

We have a lab/rottie cross with anxiety issues. I knew it was a matter of time before something happened with me & him. He is very protective of the wife (her dog) and I grabbed at him quickly (his collar) and went to chain him up and he bit me and held on to my hand. I had to punch his face to get him to let go.

This was while out hunting so he was wound up and excited. Yes, shooting him crossed my mind. But I saw it as both our faults so I can't take I out on him.

Since then we've taken him to training so his anxiety is way down. He's a naturally protective dog, he spends weeks at a time with me working in the bush, and honestly wouldn't want a better dog.

However. I do not allow anyone other than myself, wife, or her mother touch him, especially children.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.M.Anderson View Post
Every living thing (dogs, humans, cats, etc.) make mistakes. Ideally everyone should be able to handle the situation without resorting to a physical act but sometimes things don't go go plan.

I would think that most guys in here have been in a scuffle or two over their lifetimes. Should it have resorted to physical violence? The answer is no but I know for me that it has. Should I be put down? Another thing, I know alot more than a dog that doing so is bad.

Push anything to the limit and there will be consequences. In this situation it kind of sounds like a no harm no foul situation. Keep the kids away and lock of the dog when company comes over, the little scrapes will heal up in time.
The difference is humans are higher creatures.

All animals act on instinct. All humans have the ABILITY to reason. They always don't do that though.

Instinct will allow a dog, cat, anything to act as an ANIMAL.

Humans are humans.

Big difference.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:30 PM

My kid should be able to go maul any dog and not get bit,if it bites kill the dog. If my kid puts his hand on a red hot stove burner we get rid of the stove. When our 3 year old falls down the stairs do we move to a house with only one floor? When my aunt was a baby her mom pushed the baby carriage over by the fence and a horse came by sniffed in the carriage then picked the baby up by the head and carried it off and dropped it 20 yds away scarring her head for life. Of course it was the horses fault so do they shoot the horse. Of course not they gave mom the gears cause she was endangering the child.

It would Appear nobody has any common sense these days, the seem to think its ok to put their child in danger then blame an animal, object or some other person instead of themselves. When are we going to get back to the days when we use our common sense and teach our children common sense?
Old 03-24-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connexion123 View Post
The difference is humans are higher creatures.

All animals act on instinct. All humans have the ABILITY to reason. They always don't do that though.

Instinct will allow a dog, cat, anything to act as an ANIMAL.

Humans are humans.

Big difference.
As humans we have a mighty big ego. Ya, we invented a bunch of stuff, dominated the planet but we also have done a pretty good job of destroying the planet and killing almost everything else.

Our "ability" to reason has led to 2 world wars, slavery, the inquistion, terrorism and the list goes on.

Animal insticnt is simpler, in danger = attack, hungry = eat, tired = sleep.

I don't think dogs are humans, I just don't think humans are all that awesome either.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:53 PM

My dogs breath smells like dog food...