Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connexion123 View Post
I only needed to read the first post to have an answer.

Kill the dog.

It's an animal. Your son is a human and probably means more to you than you could ever express.

Kill the dog.
I don't like kids. they get on my nerves, they are the most annoying creature on the planet. I like dogs. Don't bring your kids to my place, Your kid isn't as valuable to me as my dog is. The more I see of people the more I like my dog.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I don't like kids. they get on my nerves, they are the most annoying creature on the planet. I like dogs. Don't bring your kids to my place, Your kid isn't as valuable to me as my dog is. The more I see of people the more I like my dog.
You seem like a nice fella...
Old 03-23-2015, 10:43 PM

i had a similar event happen to my son yrs ago, i also was warned by my brother that the dog didn't like children, i still took my kids over there and let them interact with the dogs knowing that the one dog might have an issue. eventually it did bite my son, nothing major and my brother asked me if i wanted him to put the dog down, i told him i didn't come over to have his dog killed, i knew the risk before i even went to the house. so he kept his dog and when the kids came over the dog went downstairs until they were gone. should you demand that the dog be killed, i don't think so, i think you should let the owners decide, it would be a different story if it was a strange dog that attacked during a walk or entered your yard, but you knew the risk ahead of time. just my 2 cents, sure i was upset but i also realized that i put my son in that situtation
Old 03-23-2015, 10:53 PM

Default ...

There's is no place above ground fit for a dog that will bite in any situation. On the other the in laws should have trained this dog a bit and the situation would have never happened. But in an case if I were in your shoes the old dog would be put out to pasture and fertilize something.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Animals are animals and not more valuable than humans period. Don't bring your dogs to my place, they'll end up underground if they so much as look at my kids the wrong way.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
If I read it correctly, it was a 'known' risk, and your son wasn't hurt too badly ... and he also learned an important life's lesson.

Let the ol' dog live, and let you and your son be the wiser.

Mac
I agree that's what I would do
Old 03-24-2015, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post
wife is still pretty ****ed, doesn't want our son visiting the house while the dog is still alive

son is back to normal minus a few scratches on his face

inlaws haven't done anything yet,doubt they will
I guess your in laws have no respect for their daughter.
So don't expect to be enjoying Easter as a family together.

Glad the child isn't showing fear.

A pet owner who knows their animal has previously bitten a child, has now bitten a second child, on the face no less and yet they don't wish to put down an old deaf dog to protect any future encounters from happening is asking for trouble.

They are also asking to end the relationship with their daughter, if they haven't already done so.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:01 AM

If my old dog had a short fuse and history of bitting people including kids and then bit my own grand child, despite how much I cared about the dog, it would either have to go elsewhere or be put down. For one, what's the quality of life for the dog and second what's the liability of keeping it?
Old 03-24-2015, 07:44 AM

So what is the actual legality of this situation?

Can the family legally have the dog put down if the owner doesn't agree?
Old 03-24-2015, 08:57 AM

I dunno,

The way I see it, the dog was known to not like kids.(because of the previous torture from another kid) Steps should be taken to insure that the dog wasn't in contact with kids.

When I was a kid we were well aware of some dogs that didn't like kids. I am pretty sure most of us at some point in our lives have known of a dog that wasn't pet able, or was mean. Not all dogs are for kids to pet and as much as some of the bleeding heart parents would like to put down every not nice dog, it is the parents responsibility to ensure that the kid doesn't come into contact with Known dogs that don't like kids.

If this dog never had a history of not liking kids and did bite a kid, absolutely put the dog down.

I guess typical thinking now days is to put your child in danger with a known dog that doesn't like kids and then blame the dog.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post

A pet owner who knows their animal has previously bitten a child, has now bitten a second child, on the face no less and yet they don't wish to put down an old deaf dog to protect any future encounters from happening is asking for trouble.

They are also asking to end the relationship with their daughter, if they haven't already done so.

Most ridiculous comment on this thread so far possibly on this forum.
The dog is known to not like kids but yet the child is aloud to play with the dog get in the dogs face and attempt to kiss it. If any disrespect is shown it is towards the dog. You are reacting like the grandparents wanted the dog to bite him. If this ends her relationship with her parents I dont think there was much of one to begin with.....the kid was bite not ripped apart use a little common sence.....
Mack

Last edited by Mackinaw; 03-24-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
You seem like a nice fella...
Yah..
Old 03-24-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post

Did I miss a post where op said it previously bit a kid? I see where he said it didn't like kids..... Not saying he never said that but I don't feel like rereading the thread.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post

Mack
why? it's perfectly in line. the wife wont let the child go to the house with the dog still there.
how often to parents go anywhere without their children?

there is a pattern of behavior, the dog is biting children. maybe i'm just extremely not tolerant of aggressive behavior but that dog would have had a steak dinner and a long walk. my dogs wouldn't even dream of biting anyone; when my dog bumped into my nephew he ran and hid. he knows his place in the pack and he was afraid the pack (me) would be mad.

i'm told not seeing your family and being angry at them isn't good for your relationship.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Did I miss a post where op said it previously bit a kid? I see where he said it didn't like kids..... Not saying he never said that but I don't feel like rereading the thread.
From page 1;

my father inlaw knows he doesn't like kids because my bastard nephew tormented him when he was young the dog took a big chunk out of his face,in that situation my nephew deserved it
Old 03-24-2015, 09:19 AM

My pet mouse bit a four year old should I put it down? One other time I had a 6 week old kitten just had its eyes open. My 3 year old nephew grabbed it and dragged it across the room, then it scratched him so I chopped its head off. No way should any cat that scratches or bites a child be allowed to live.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
My pet mouse bit a four year old should I put it down? One other time I had a 6 week old kitten just had its eyes open. My 3 year old nephew grabbed it and dragged it across the room, then it scratched him so I chopped its head off. No way should any cat that scratches or bites a child be allowed to live.
Yes, you did the right thing. Great comparison. Still feeling grumpy wumpy?
Old 03-24-2015, 09:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
From page 1;

my father inlaw knows he doesn't like kids because my bastard nephew tormented him when he was young the dog took a big chunk out of his face,in that situation my nephew deserved it
i still see that as a problem. children have bitten my dog's nose, poked him in the eye repeatedly, pulled on his tail, pulled out chunks of hair. all he does is look at me as if to say "please don't let this continue" and then he goes and hides in his basket (his safe zone where no one is allowed to touch him, a very important rule).

it sounds like a poorly trained dog and a bad dog owner
Old 03-24-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post

Mack
No.
There's been worse.
You haven't been around long enough to know it though.
Heck, Ive been accused of what you say fm has done. Many of us have...
And the comment quoted really leaves a poor taste on the AO forum.
People need to get over their self righteousness. Here's to annonimity though eh?

I'm glad to see those offensive pictures were taken down on this thread as well.

I would personally have no problem shooting the dog.
And I would also have no problem making sure my children never visited the house again as long as the dog wasn't muzzled or crated.

There's plenty of solutions that have been discussed here.

Is there any more to say other than insulting each other now?
If we have come full circle then let it rest.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 03-24-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
i still see that as a problem. children have bitten my dog's nose, poked him in the eye repeatedly, pulled on his tail, pulled out chunks of hair. all he does is look at me as if to say "please don't let this continue" and then he goes and hides in his basket (his safe zone where no one is allowed to touch him, a very important rule).

Absolutely.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
No way should any cat that scratches or bites a child be allowed to live.
i have/had outdoor cats. there was a recent litter and they tried to get in the house. i went to brush them away and one latched onto my hand.

guess what happened...
Old 03-24-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Yes moose you did,
post 19.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post
Old 03-24-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
why? it's perfectly in line. the wife wont let the child go to the house with the dog still there.
how often to parents go anywhere without their children?

there is a pattern of behavior, the dog is biting children. maybe i'm just extremely not tolerant of aggressive behavior but that dog would have had a steak dinner and a long walk. my dogs wouldn't even dream of biting anyone; when my dog bumped into my nephew he ran and hid. he knows his place in the pack and he was afraid the pack (me) would be mad.

i'm told not seeing your family and being angry at them isn't good for your relationship.
Exactly. They need to know their place in the pack. Owner did not train them properly. Last two old dogs I had knew not to bite mans child no matter what.
They would leave the food dish if anybody went near it.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 03-24-2015, 09:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
i have/had outdoor cats. there was a recent litter and they tried to get in the house. i went to brush them away and one latched onto my hand.

guess what happened...
You said nice kitty and fed it milk?
Old 03-24-2015, 09:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
You said nice kitty and fed it milk?
yup and as it came up to the saucer of milk i fed it something else
Old 03-24-2015, 09:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
yup and as it came up to the saucer of milk i fed it something else
lol, I hear you. The last cat that scratched me got his pilots licence that day. Only problem he crash landed on his first flight which was a little less then the Wright Brothers first flight.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Exactly. They need to know their place in the pack. Owner did not train them properly. Last two old dogs I had knew not to bite mans child no matter what.
They would leave the food dish if anybody went near it.
ya unfortunately it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks and the owners probably failed this dog.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:02 AM

I agree with the quote below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
If I read it correctly, it was a 'known' risk, and your son wasn't hurt too badly ... and he also learned an important life's lesson.

Let the ol' dog live, and let you and your son be the wiser.

Mac
Old 03-24-2015, 10:06 AM

Were the children disciplined? Not the way a dog should be treated.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:12 AM
Banned

Quote:

So a well trained dog should be forced to take abuse from people around it? And he who owns a dog that won't take the abuse is a bad owner?

Wow. We expect a dog to respect our human way of being, but show no respect in return...