Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2015, 01:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasteland.soldier View Post
Hehe, maybe not a good example. I'm kind of just generally out for cat blood...

does it have to scratch him or just **** everywhere first?
Old 03-23-2015, 01:08 PM

This is the second time it has bitten a childs face?!? That child should have NEVER been around that dog.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:

lol. Fair enough.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
If I read it correctly, it was a 'known' risk, and your son wasn't hurt too badly ... and he also learned an important life's lesson.

Let the ol' dog live, and let you and your son be the wiser.

Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
Unfortunately, I see that there's a few nut-bar posters here who would have their children/grandchildren 'sanitised' and 'bubble-wrapped' against the possibility that some animals, if provoked and tormented enough, will rightly defend themselves.

As in my previous posts here on this thread, I will always stand against you.

Mac
Agreed, Mac. I am in the "lesson learned" camp also, and it looks to me as though the OP thinks that way, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
farm rules....

dog gets killed with a shovel....no one cries; life goes on.

The 3 year old is an innocent victim...the dog is a useless waste of fur

The same people who sympothize with the dog are probally the same people who let their dog lick their face...sick and twisted individuals.
Uh oh!! Something tells me there may be a few "sick and twisted individuals" on here...
There has been some good advice posted, especially ensuring the little kid does not become scared of all dogs. Expose him to some friendly, safer ones and gradually teach him to understand the signs of potential aggression. Even for those of us who have been around many different dogs, this is a good reminder to observe and be cautious until you know what you are dealing with.
Our dog, Tia, liked being petted but was not big on cuddling or having me get too close to her face. She would give a very faint sound, like a blended whine and growl...Beaner, on the other hand, craved affection and loved being snuggled and giving dog smooches. She never gave the slightest sign of anger. So, guess that makes me "sick"...

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 03-23-2015, 01:56 PM

Uh oh!! Something tells me there may be a few "sick and twisted individuals" on here...

I think you're right...
Old 03-23-2015, 02:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
Agreed, Mac. I am in the "lesson learned" camp also, and it looks to me as though the OP thinks that way, too.

There has been some good advice posted, especially ensuring the little kid does not become scared of all dogs. Expose him to some friendly, safer ones and gradually teach him to understand the signs of potential aggression. Even for those of us who have been around many different dogs, this is a good reminder to observe and be cautious until you know what you are dealing with.
Our dog, Tia, liked being petted but was not big on cuddling or having me get too close to her face. She would give a very faint sound, like a blended whine and growl...Beaner, on the other hand, craved affection and loved being snuggled and giving dog smooches. She never gave the slightest sign of anger. So, guess that makes me "sick"...
Nope you are not sick, but a dog that bites a three year old toddler sure is!
Old 03-23-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
It's a membership requirement.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post
my father inlaw says(dog) "does not like children"...

..I rounded the corner just in time to see my son going in to give the dog a kiss
...no words or thoughts necessary for me on this one...
Old 03-23-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
...no words or thoughts necessary for me on this one...
Pretty much yup. Sorry op, but being a father myself, and knowing that pertanent information, I would only have myself to blame for endangering my 3 year old. Don't know how I would even live with myself if my lil guy lost an eye or something.... And grandpa should either not allow your child in his house or make arrangements for dog to be in another room or kennel while grandkids are visiting. You gambled.... You lost.... Thankfully it wasn't serious.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
The more you drive over a cat, the bigger and flatter it gets,,,,
Old 03-23-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
was visiting my in laws who breed shelties, they have one old dog that's deaf and as my father inlaw says "does not like children". anyways over the past year ive visited multiple times with my son and have always done my best to keep my son away from the dog as my son is only 3, the dog in turn has always been good with my son and over the past year has warmed up to him allowing him to pet it. anyways was in the washroom and my inlaws were watching my son in the livingroom, as I walked out of the bathroom I rounded the corner just in time to see my son going in to give the dog a kiss(apparently hes done this before) before I could yell at my son to stop him from doing what he was doing the dog lashed at him and bit his face leaving scratches on his forehead and a bleeding lip.

I quickly grabbed my son with my mother in law and we checked him over as my father inlaw locked the dog in the bedroom,

anyways when I returned home, my wife obviously asked what happened to his face and when I told her she flew off the handle and basically got ****ed I didn't kill the dog, now shes in a big argument with her mother about putting it down.

just wondering how other people might of reacted or handled this situation.

either way im chalking this up as a life lesson for my son to be weary with dogs
you should get away from that woman as fast as you can any woman that would kill a dog for something that clearly is not his fault , one day you will do something that will displeases this woman and you will wake up to the sound of her killing you she is obviously pure evil
Old 03-23-2015, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45/70/500 View Post
you should get away from that woman as fast as you can any woman that would kill a dog for something that clearly is not his fault , one day you will do something that will displeases this woman and you will wake up to the sound of her killing you she is obviously pure evil
Protective mother of her small child = Serial Killer ? = morons
Old 03-23-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45/70/500 View Post
Besides, his yard his rules..disgusting how some think it right to arbitrarily kill a dog in a yard it friggn lives within 24/7 with an owner that has absolute no issue with!
Old 03-23-2015, 03:20 PM

Dogs are a dime a dozen and this is what's wrong with society is we need to protect and not ever kill anything. If this was a pedophile instead of a dog would you guys have the same answer? New puppy for Christmas !!!!!!! At the end of the day there is no reason for this and yes someone should have made arrangements for this not to happen but hindsight is 20/20 but because it did happen it needs to be dealt with. If this dog got out of the yard and bit anybody else's child's face we wouldn't even be having this discussion cause the dog would already be dead.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesneights View Post
Dogs are a dime a dozen and this is what's wrong with society is we need to protect and not ever kill anything. If this was a pedophile instead of a dog would you guys have the same answer? New puppy for Christmas !!!!!!!
well then people too are a dime a dozen.. currently an successfully working earnestly towards 8Billion..easily replaceable.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
well then people too are a dime a dozen.. currently an successfully working earnestly towards 8Billion..easily replaceable.
I do agree people are also. There are many people that should be put down and are a drain on society but I don't want to derail so I will leave that topic alone
Old 03-23-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesneights View Post
Dogs are a dime a dozen and this is what's wrong with society is we need to protect and not ever kill anything. If this was a pedophile instead of a dog would you guys have the same answer? New puppy for Christmas !!!!!!!
one of the best comments on this thread sour own kid ... the child did nothing to provoke

i like the ops wife .. she no doubt knows her parents dogs ... remember people its an old cranky dog ..........bang.. will never chew on a child again ...all the bleeding hearts..yikes .. step over a child to save an old cranky dog ... give yer heads a shake
OP glad the child is ok ... hope he is not haunted by said "good lesson"
Old 03-23-2015, 03:53 PM
Banned

yep the kid learned a lesson

but Why would anyone tolerate a dog that will bite or attack a kid or even another dog

Take the shovel to the dog .... then the owners.... then the bleeding hearts
Old 03-23-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderheart View Post
one of the best comments on this thread sour own kid ... The child did nothing to provoke

i like the ops wife .. She no doubt knows her parents dogs ... Remember people its an old cranky dog ..........bang.. Will never chew on a child again ...all the bleeding hearts..yikes .. Step over a child to save an old cranky dog ... Give yer heads a shake
op glad the child is ok ... Hope he is not haunted by said "good lesson"
^^^^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 03-23-2015, 05:04 PM

You are absolutely right, it is the grand parents and the parents fault they let the kid around the dog. This is the SECOND TIME A KID HAS BEEN BIT !.

DO YOU TRUST THE DOG OWNERS TO NOT HAVE THEIR BELOVED DOG OUT SO OTHER KIDS WONT BE BITTEN ??? I WOULDNT, NOT A DAMN CHANCE.

THEREFORE THE RIGHT THING TO DO IS TO PUT THE DOG DOWN SO THE THIRD KID IS NOT BIT. Some of you may think the grand parents and the parents should be put down instead of the dog. Now that makes sense in todays world.

Dog_River

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
The adults are to blame for this situation, killing the dog makes no sense at all...
Old 03-23-2015, 07:42 PM

Default biters

my buddy at his farm had a friendly small lab cross not socialized around kids bit my boy once on the face at six years old three good puncture wounds lip and cheek [ he said the tetanus needle was worse his brothers eyes were the size of saucers when he saw that needle go in ] , he was warned and warned before about the dog[ but he is a KID] that he bites so don't bug him and that not all dogs are friendly like his own lab who was present , lesson learned could have been a 90 pound dog considered it a lucky positive lesson because his little brother at three who actually listened better saw it happen they both avoided strange dogs after that , also they both were not traumatized by this, they both have kids now and they both have large sociable dogs . I brought our Bovier over lots just to socialize him to kids and for a good ear wash [ don,t know what it is with ears].... not the dogs fault, next time lock up the dog Mr. owner
Old 03-23-2015, 07:56 PM

OP,

What is your wife saying today?
What has happened with your son today? Is he upset?
What have your inlaws done or not done?
Old 03-23-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
OP,

What is your wife saying today?
What has happened with your son today? Is he upset?
What have your inlaws done or not done?
wife is still pretty ****ed, doesn't want our son visiting the house while the dog is still alive

son is back to normal minus a few scratches on his face

inlaws haven't done anything yet,doubt they will
Old 03-23-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
this is very true
I don't think it has to be a pit bull, there are many other breeds that have way more reports of biting.
We had a miniture pincher that was the most dangerous dog I have ever seen and he was 12 lbs.
I think teaching kids and every one how to respect dogs and how to read their actions is the best bet. Body language goes along way in the animal world.
I know adults that the first time they meet a dog will give it there face and try to kiss them , or want to pet a dog in a truck with the window open. If the dog even if it is a pit bull was to bite them would the dog be in the wrong. I don't think so.
As for Open Post, I would have to say when visiting keep the 2 apart at the very least, and would agree with locking the dog up and starting to teach the child of how to interact with animals be it dog cat or anything else.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:42 PM

sorry i quoted the wrong message, one of my first posts and still figuring it out.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:43 PM
Banned

I only needed to read the first post to have an answer.

Kill the dog.

It's an animal. Your son is a human and probably means more to you than you could ever express.

Kill the dog.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by connexion123 View Post
I only needed to read the first post to have an answer.

Kill the dog.

It's an animal. Your son is a human and probably means more to you than you could ever express.

Kill the dog.
Humans are animals by definition...

As unfortunate as the situation is, the adults involved are the ones to blame. If you know that the dog is not good with kids, muzzle it or lock it up.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:55 PM

Default No hard feeling OP

For what it's worth, I respect your seeking advice. NobOdy here (at leadt i hope so) bears you any serious animosity. I'm sure you know most of us here will offer you our 2 cents.. But it'll be crusty, and sometimes passionate.
Parenting is a tough gig. Keep at it.

Cheers

Oh..

And zap dat pooch!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 03-23-2015, 08:59 PM

Just had to read the title. Dead dog.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
But it'll be crusty, and sometimes passionate.
Crusty is correct.

When the ex and I were together, we had a 14 pound Shihtzu cross, not a mean bone in her body. A friend came over with his son one day, he tried to ride her. This 25 pound kid had my little dog pinned down saying giddyup. She growled and nipped him - it would have been game on had my friend suggested I put the dog down. But he agreed his kid deserved it - lesson learned. Guess people on here wouldn't agree.

dgrimard posted about the Min Pin, we have an 11 pounder here but I wouldn't consider him dangerous. The Doberman was developed off the Min Pin, yes they are a tenacious little dog. You visit my place, you recognize the dog lives here and you don't. Abide by a few rules, the dog is fine and so are you. Try to pick or poke at the dog, and all bets are off.