Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2015, 08:01 AM

The dog must go. It's alarming when people can't see that.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-23-2015, 08:15 AM

farm rules....

dog gets killed with a shovel....no one cries; life goes on.

The 3 year old is an innocent victim...the dog is a useless waste of fur

The same people who sympothize with the dog are probally the same people who let their dog lick their face...sick and twisted individuals.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Dogs don't like when humans stick their faces into the dogs face.
Something people should try... Next time you're walking down the street, find a stranger, get up in their face and try to kiss them. Wait for the reaction.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:24 AM

Dog was known to "not like children".
Child should have been kept away from the dog.
Parents need to take responsibility for their children.
Not the dog's fault.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:26 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Something people should try... Next time you're walking down the street, find a stranger, get up in their face and try to kiss them. Wait for the reaction.
Kinky...did not see this developing from this thread but hey it is Monday after all!!!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-23-2015, 08:33 AM

First off. That sucks that happened. Good thing it was minor. It does sound like a few lessons were learned and can be avoided with proper planning in the future. Some dogs are dangerous and when not climatized properly in their upbringing shouldn't be left unsupervised with children or even other dogs for that matter.

With that being said, Mac. Pit bulls really? I think just "dog" is far more appropriate. You coulda said Shepard, husky, chihuahua or any other for that matter. Like pit bulls need an uneducated bad rap any further then they already have. And yes. We have 2 pitbulls. Neither one of them would ever consider biting. Not ever. The way they are raised.

Sorry for the derailment but that was an ignorant stereotype that gets my blood boiling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
Personally, I think that old dog did your son a huge favor in teaching him that lesson, even though some minor injury was done.

Maybe explain it to your wife this way ... Imagine if, your young son, in a different place and time, while you weren't looking and unknown to you, tried to kiss a stranger's pitbull.

Someone ought to give that old dog an extra treat tonight!

Mac
Old 03-23-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
The dog must go. It's alarming when people can't see that.
If there was no history, forethought, or previous issues.....I would agree. This incident was 100% preventable.

LC
Old 03-23-2015, 08:41 AM

For me, I'd simply tell the in-laws that if they would like their grandson to visit them, the dog needs to be locked up or in a kennel during the visit. Then it's up to them. They can decide between their love for dog or grandson. I wouldn't expose my child to danger. If it were my dog, I'd put it down. But it's their dog.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:55 AM

[QUOTE=raab;2774576]And when he's outside, takes off to the neighbours and bites their little toddler then what? If it was a first time thing sure give the dog the benefit of the doubt. But this dog has already responded twice with biting at the face of children. That is not acceptable behaviour, and will be repeated if the dog comes into contact with another child. I agree it's the owners fault as he didn't train the dog properly to begin with. Absolutely unacceptable to be biting

Any animal will defend itself if tormented.
And where does it say he would go to the neighbour's?

Mack

Last edited by Mackinaw; 03-23-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:03 AM
Banned

it's a life lesson for the kid. always check to see if it's a happy or a grumpy dog. please don't let your child grow up to be afraid of dogs, it was bad but life happens. i wish i was better with horses but one bad apple...

there are two things i will not tolerate out of a dog; not staying at home and aggressiveness. the sad thing to say is that if this isn't the first time (it sounds like a known issue) and if it has failed to be corrected i would put the dog down.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
So a child tries to kiss a human and the human bites the child. Gee, I wonder how that would go over.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-23-2015, 09:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Dead dog!
Yes, no question about it ! DEAD DOG.

Bite 1 child , earn 1 bullet .

No repeat performance, no disfigured or traumatized kids
Old 03-23-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro1 View Post
Nope, big difference between a get away from me im scared/in pain/grumpy bite and "attack".
As i have said, no matter how fast things happen the dogs changes it body language beforehand showing its "feelings".
Dogs old/deaf, up to the owners to prevent this. They should of seen the signs before it bit.
Micromanage everything the dog does and let it live out its days in peace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
farm rules....

dog gets killed with a shovel....no one cries; life goes on.

The 3 year old is an innocent victim...the dog is a useless waste of fur

The same people who sympothize with the dog are probally the same people who let their dog lick their face...sick and twisted individuals.
100% wrong I donot let any animal lick my face or come into my house but I also don't believe is punishing an animal for the fault of a human.
As far a farm rules you are also wrong at least at a respectical farm.

Mack
Old 03-23-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
X2

A 3 year old doesn't know any better and it should be the parents responsibility to keep the kid from sticking his face in the dogs face.(keep the kid away from the dog, lock the dog up ect.)

Also kids need to learn that every dog that they encounter isn't friendly. To think other wise is just asking for it.

One of my uncles has a dog who doesn't like people. The dog has never bitten anyone because people know to leave him alone.

If a 3 year old got in the dogs face and tried kissing it the dog would bite the kid. So who's fault is that?

Pretty simple IMO. The dog doesn't like kids so keep the dog and kid away from each other. The dog was known to not like kids and nothing was done about it.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:17 AM
Banned

If the dog is old and deaf whats the point in keeping it alive?
Old 03-23-2015, 09:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
X2

A 3 year old doesn't know any better and it should be the parents responsibility to keep the kid from sticking his face in the dogs face.(keep the kid away from the dog, lock the dog up ect.)

Also kids need to learn that every dog that they encounter isn't friendly. To think other wise is just asking for it.

One of my uncles has a dog who doesn't like people. The dog has never bitten anyone because people know to leave him alone.

If a 3 year old got in the dogs face and tried kissing it the dog would bite the kid. So who's fault is that?

Pretty simple IMO. The dog doesn't like kids so keep the dog and kid away from each other. The dog was known to not like kids and nothing was done about it.
Anyone who would keep a dog around that is known to bite or be aggressive towards children needs a TAP on the head with a shovel, along with the DOG .
Old 03-23-2015, 09:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
If the dog is old and deaf whats the point in keeping it alive?
old and deaf isn't a bad life as long as the dog isn't in pain
Old 03-23-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
Anyone who would keep a dog around that is known to bite or be aggressive towards children needs a TAP on the head with a shovel, along with the DOG .
Did you read the post, the dog has never bitten anyone and isn't aggressive. The dog will leave the area if people are present. Kids need to learn that not all dogs are nice.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Did you read the post, the dog has never bitten anyone and isn't aggressive. The dog will leave the area if people are present. Kids need to learn that not all dogs are nice.
3 year old children understand that concept ? meatheads
Old 03-23-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Oh my we're going to have to take your shovel away if you don't behave.

I have 2 medium size dogs and they are pets not kids and I know this cause I have 4 kids. They are part of our family and are pretty good for the most part. However they are dogs and when they get excited, or nervous one must keep control of them and not expect the dog to self manage. My son & the GF come over with my Grand Daughter and put her on the floor with the dogs around. I say nay nay and unless there is an adult close at hand not going to happen in my house.

I do not care who's dog it is and how it was raised they should never be trusted to make judgement calls on thier own. That is your job and responsibilty.

I say no harm done, lesson learned, let the mutt die of old age.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:46 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=javlin101;2774828]Oh my we're going to have to take your shovel away if you don't behave.

I would like to see you try that
Old 03-23-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro1 View Post
No offense inteded with my following statement.
Dog reacted the only way it knows how. Chances are it showed several signs of un-ease prior to biting that the parents in law missed.
Its up to you guys to prevent everything that happened.
Dont blame the dog, dont blame the kid, prevent it from happening again.
Thats it.

Edit, Glad your kid is relatively un-harmed.

I second, dog's usually give signs of unease and being older and deaf probably felt threatened. The dog is also known for not being good with kids. And the done it before is not always the best excuse, I jumped off a 100ft cliff into water before, I will never do that again...

Chalk it up to a learning experience for the child and the dog. These thing happens, my ma got 3 stitches for "kissing" a dog that is known to not like strangers. She didn't push for the dog to be put down, she learned not to "kiss" dogs that are uneasy or uncomfortable and "known to not like strangers".
Old 03-23-2015, 09:49 AM

Default old dog

so dog is old probably eye site is fadeing hearing is going, kids parents don't want to look after the little one so kill the dog . ya that makes sense
Old 03-23-2015, 09:50 AM

[QUOTE=elkdump;2774832]
Quote:
Originally Posted by javlin101 View Post
Oh my we're going to have to take your shovel away if you don't behave.

I would like to see you try that
oh you are having a Monday are'nt we. It's ok I have my own shovel tough guy!
Old 03-23-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Would you let a 3 year old run around with a bunch of cows penned up?

Point is kids need to know that not all dogs are made for them to kiss and snuggle.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:36 AM
Banned

The adults are to blame for this situation, killing the dog makes no sense at all...
Old 03-23-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Would you let a 3 year old run around with a bunch of cows penned up?

Point is kids need to know that not all dogs are made for them to kiss and snuggle.

Ah, but I note you say the cows are penned up. You don't let a dog you know to be dangerous and liable to bite people hang around people. Pen it up, chain it down, put it in a kennel, or get rid of it.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Ah, but I note you say the cows are penned up. You don't let a dog you know to be dangerous and liable to bite people hang around people. Pen it up, chain it down, put it in a kennel, or get rid of it.

Absolutely, or in the case of my uncles dog just don't go into it's space. (the dog will avoid people and is there just to keep coyotes away and to bark when someone comes up the long driveway)
Old 03-23-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Three year olds aren't capable of learning? C'mon man, use that noodle. Sucks that the child was bitten, but from the sounds of things he is ok. I think that everyone involved has probably learned a lesson on this one. Replace dog with cat and bit with clawed in this story. Would you all be out for cat blood? People need to learn to respect animal's bubbles, as another poster called it. Some lessons are harder learned than others.

Last edited by WCTHEMI; 03-23-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTHEMI View Post
Replace dog with cat and bit with clawed in this story. Would you all be out for cat blood?
Hehe, maybe not a good example. I'm kind of just generally out for cat blood...