Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2015, 08:36 AM

Default Deflation Coming

Deflation is coming soon. $$$ is king. Debt = death. There will be no raises coming in private or public sector for years. Rollbacks in private sector are happening as I write this. The dollar = $0.83. and dropping. Everything will cost more, and you will be buying less. Enjoy your cheap fuel while you can. The party is over for private and public sector. Good Luck.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:07 AM

Default Lmao

Yeah you should look at the "great deal" teachers got!!! 0% for 4 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
Just tighten there belt like we have to, no more raises for themselves, teachers, nurses, doctors and who ever else got the big money with the election promises. Cant raise coporate taxes as said here
Old 01-15-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbius131 View Post
Why are PD days always on a Friday or Monday?

Honestly if anybody thinks a sales tax is over a sudden going to balance the budget and be that perfect threshold to allow government to give you pot hole free utopia - your smoking the good stuff.

Last edited by Morbius131; 01-15-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:14 PM

Default Not sure

I am not quite sure what the day PD days are held has to do with the discussion being had but if you want to discuss it or anything else to do with civil servants or teachers I invite you to PM me.

Now back to the topic!

Morb
Old 01-15-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
Just tighten there belt like we have to, no more raises for themselves, teachers, nurses, doctors and who ever else got the big money with the election promises. Cant raise coporate taxes as said here
nurses 2.25 per cent salary increase for 2015-2016 and a three per cent salary increase for 2016-2017. If you don't know there is a shortage of nurses and most have to work long hours . And put being spit on hit puked on . verbally abused

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 01-15-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Deflation is coming soon. $$$ is king. Debt = death. There will be no raises coming in private or public sector for years. Rollbacks in private sector are happening as I write this. The dollar = $0.83. and dropping. Everything will cost more, and you will be buying less. Enjoy your cheap fuel while you can. The party is over for private and public sector. Good Luck.
X2,
Japan is reported to have been experiencing an L shaped recovery? and probably actual Deflation for the last 15 years, Europe is reported to have entered actual Deflation in the last 1/4.

Very few people have knowledge or experience of actual Deflation and the recent common money management strategies MAY lead to personal failure. Poor financial decisions will not be saved by inflation, and low interest rates are really much higher than they seem because the asset value will be dropping as will income.

If oil had not dropped, we would now be paying +20% MORE for fuel.

Good Luck, YMMV
Old 01-15-2015, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
nurses 2.25 per cent salary increase for 2015-2016 and a three per cent salary increase for 2016-2017. If you don't know there is a shortage of nurses and most have to work long hours . And put being spit on hit puked on . verbally abused
Nurses in Alberta are either the highest or second highest nurses paid in North America. They do just fine.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Nurses in Alberta are either the highest or second highest nurses paid in North America. They do just fine.
sure they do my wife is a rn works hard for the money she makes comes home with bruises from being kicked or punch bitten food thrown at her . and you no what she also loves her job this week she is working 65 hours

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 01-15-2015, 01:44 PM
Banned

I am in agreement with increasing taxes on the wealthy and a sales tax otherwise where would the PC get the money to do this?

The Alberta government spent $832,000 to construct a garage for a Zamboni that will never arrive after it scrapped a $1-million skating rink that had been part of the Federal Building renovations.
By the way the renos are cost $375mm well over the estimated budget of $175mm
Calgary City Council increase taxes by 4.4% and increase their wage by 3.8% well above the average of what nurses, teachers etc have received. These people provide a much need service, politicians no matter what level do not.

NO MORE TAXES OR INCREASES, start managing what you have, most people do it.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
in the manufacturing industry this is great it's now more expensive to get parts from the us

we got cheaper and we didn't even know it
Old 01-15-2015, 01:59 PM

Default Governments are Mismanaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by realitysucks View Post
I am in agreement with increasing taxes on the wealthy and a sales tax otherwise where would the PC get the money to do this?

The Alberta government spent $832,000 to construct a garage for a Zamboni that will never arrive after it scrapped a $1-million skating rink that had been part of the Federal Building renovations.
By the way the renos are cost $375mm well over the estimated budget of $175mm
Calgary City Council increase taxes by 4.4% and increase their wage by 3.8% well above the average of what nurses, teachers etc have received. These people provide a much need service, politicians no matter what level do not.

NO MORE TAXES OR INCREASES, start managing what you have, most people do it.
It does not matter what level of Government ( Municipal, Provincial, or Federal they are all mismanaged). Government thinks they can solve problems by just increasing taxes. We know that does not work. They do not look into the mirror at themselves, therein lies the problem. Economies do not have linear growth. Economies are cyclical. Like waves in a Ocean, Up/Dn. Save for the good times and prepare for the bad times. Unfortunately leadership governments do not understand this. It will be a Charismatic leader (Klein), to tell Public sector reductions are on the horizon. The leader will be disliked/liked by many. I don't know how Prentiss will make out. That is perhaps why he wants a snap election while his name is still good, and does not have much competition. Then the decisions will be made.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:09 PM

in my opinion
the sales tax issue is a ploy to convince the population to take other tax increases instead of a sales tax. It is the 'greater evil', and when the threat of a sales tax is on the horizon then Albertans will take a income tax increase with open arms.

I hate the fact that we suffered under Ralph to pay off the debt, and then Ed and Allison squandered it all and now we will suffer again under Prentice.

Personally I see a lot of fat that can be trimmed right here:

http://www.culture.alberta.ca/grants...e/default.aspx

Open up the "Show details" to see the the recipients. Over 3 BILLION in free money giveaways since 1998. I was told it is easier to get an arts grant than a small business loan in Alberta. Some of the reasons for grants are just plain unnecessary. I.e. $2000 for a guy named Sean to study Cultural Relations? Really?
Old 01-15-2015, 02:31 PM
Banned

There is no choice, bring on the sales tax. This is the reality.
Sure it would be nice to have an efficient government, one that operates as a business, but that is impossible given the people we vote for.

A consumption based tax system is more fair, compared to an income tax system that discourages people to work harder. imo

Albertans are going to get taxed harder for less service, there is no way around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Is there anyone in this province that, according to you, gets paid appropriately?
Old 01-15-2015, 02:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post

Is there anyone in this province that, according to you, gets paid appropriately?
There seems to be a plethora of people who think it is perfectly normal to expect 100K plus incomes plus benefits, otherwise they can't "survive ".

Good on those that make that income. But don't feel the rest need to think it is required AND then complain about getting a 2% raise. Is that attitude which has caused much of the expense side of government to go up to the stratosphere. If you're making great money that is not subject to being ratcheted back when times get tougher, don't expect to get a raise.

If people started thinking in terms of not what they want, but what they need, in other words food, shelter, transportation perhaps there wouldn't be an excess requirement of funds for government services. However, when things are going great in the oil patch, all of a sudden apparently everyone needs to have that level of income, and we forget that when you are paid from the public purse, which nurses and teachers are, building comes do not go down or disappear as it does to those people who happen to work in the patch.

Can you see that at all?
Old 01-15-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Better than a lot of us will get this year, lowered wages on what work is left.
My kids classroom sizes are the same as when I went to school. Lots of teachers in my family so I won't slag the profession but no shortage of teachers being pumped out of universities. If the pay was based on supply and demand it would be a 50% pay cut.
Prentice can bring on all the taxes he wants I won't be paying much of any this year. I might start collecting.

Last edited by chasingtail; 01-15-2015 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
in the manufacturing industry this is great it's now more expensive to get parts from the us

we got cheaper and we didn't even know it
The problem is that the tooling and machinery you need to be more productive just got more expensive,
and all the supplies that are traded internationally also got more expensive,
and your customers now have to pay more for everything that is traded internationally (which thanks to 'Globalization' and 'off-shoring' is just about everything),
so they have less money to buy your products,
and with a sales tax customers have additional higher domestic costs,
so they have even less money to buy your products,
You may continue to make sales if you lower your price, but you cannot do it by becoming more productive by investing in better tooling and machinery because that is now too expensive.
Its the classic 'race to the bottom'.
Look out below.

Good Luck, YMMV

Last edited by qwert; 01-15-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:04 PM

In the not -to-distant future we will probably hear from Prentice - "I consulted Albertans and what they really want is a sales tax so what could I do". Yeah, right. Will he have the guts to implement a sales tax before calling an election or will it be a typically PC natural ruling party tactic of holding the election first and then declare a sales tax.

Perhaps a progressive income tax should take precedence over a sales tax.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog15 View Post
In the not -to-distant future we will probably hear from Prentice - "I consulted Albertans and what they really want is a sales tax so what could I do". Yeah, right. Will he have the guts to implement a sales tax before calling an election or will it be a typically PC natural ruling party tactic of holding the election first and then declare a sales tax.

He wont have the guts to implement a sales tax before an election....and to implement a sales tax after an election is something Albertans wont forget at the next election as Albertans will get a constant daily reminder on every purchase they make and how their buying power got eroded by say 5%.That will NOT be forgotten and if the electorate gets saddled with a sales tax AFTER an election the PC's are cutting their own throat.

FTH
Old 01-15-2015, 06:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by From The Hip View Post
He wont have the guts to implement a sales tax before an election....
FTH
The only times politicians seem to grow a spine is when it comes to raising revenue. They never seem too shy about getting more blood out of their servants.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
He wont have the guts to implement a sales tax before an election....and to implement a sales tax after an election is something Albertans wont forget at the next election as Albertans will get a constant daily reminder on every purchase they make and how their buying power got eroded by say 5%.That will NOT be forgotten and if the electorate gets saddled with a sales tax AFTER an election the PC's are cutting their own throat.

FTH
What a time for the morons who crossed over from wild rose to what is essentially a liberal govt. Most of prentice's staff Are liberal. Mike Percy....liberal. Mandel....bleeding heart liberal would be a too much far right of a label for him.

What can we expect.....liberal thinking.....tax everyone into equality (workers and the parasitics)....and enrich themselves and their bourgeois thinking sponsors.

Now would be a great time for a strong true right party to tell the PC's to go ahead and make our day. A next election win without any effort.

Gotta wonder at how much this floor crossing was facilitated with $$$ and future $$$ promises/commitments that will cost us all......and all in anticipation of increased taxes without anyone to hold them accountable.

I've said it before, any party with Mandel in it is a party that will never get my vote. (it's a sure sign of where the liberals are hiding)
Old 01-15-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog15 View Post

OK Ill bite. What happens If he implements a sales tax and then calls an election?
Old 01-15-2015, 08:06 PM

Teachers have had no raise for the last 3 years if I am not mistaken and will not get another raise for 3 more years. As for supply and demand...just like any other profession, an education doesn't mean you are sufficiently trained to perform a task. For what teachers do, put up with and provide as an essential service they are worth what they are paid and more.

I am not sure where exactly your children are going to school but if it is in one of the major cities in Alberta, I can assure you the class sizes are not the same size as they were even 10 years ago but I am glad to hear that somewhere the school board is concerned about class sizes.

Either way I really hope those in the field making the large money have planned properly and will be able to weather the storm as comfortably as possible.

Morb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
Better than a lot of us will get this year, lowered wages on what work is left.
My kids classroom sizes are the same as when I went to school. Lots of teachers in my family so I won't slag the profession but no shortage of teachers being pumped out of universities. If the pay was based on supply and demand it would be a 50% pay cut.
Prentice can bring on all the taxes he wants I won't be paying much of any this year. I might start collecting.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:08 PM
Banned

Default I will answer the qustion

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie View Post
OK Ill bite. What happens If he implements a sales tax and then calls an election?
He will lose the election....ALL Albertans will feel the pinch of a sales tax and they will resent it.....how do you you billie feel about having say 5% of your income eroded after income tax/EI of your pay cheque?.You have allready been taxed on your earnings and have paid in to the Federal screw-the-dog fund...so how do you feel about paying say an extra nickle on every dollar you spend?And what if the sales tax changes to an HST(harmonised sales tax) and it gets applied to even more consumer goods and services...then you are paying a 10% tax on your firearms/ammo/reloading supplies/lunch/coffee and the list goes on and on.

Are you seriously saying you would vote for the PC party after they bent you over the barrel as a taxpayer and screwed you over?

FTH
Old 01-15-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
how do you billie feel about having say 5% of your income eroded after income tax/EI of your pay cheque?
I said nothing about wanting a sales tax, that wasn't the question.

For the PC's to lose, Alberta would have to vote for Liberal, NDP or are you holding out for the Great Wild Hope. I think you overestimate their chances even over a sales tax.

Oh wait, I forgot they have Rob now

I think the PC's are pretty safe for the time being. I know, let's vote Jim in again and just REALLY dislike him!
Old 01-15-2015, 08:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
sure they do my wife is a rn works hard for the money she makes comes home with bruises from being kicked or punch bitten food thrown at her . and you no what she also loves her job this week she is working 65 hours
Not sure what they pay nurses, but IMO they earn it, takes a special kind of person to be a care giver. Helping people when they are at their worst, can be a thankless job. Most patients appreciate the dedication, the negative comments usually come from people who have not had to use the medical system and have not witnessed first hand, what the job entails.

Like all jobs. there are some duds, but the majority who have helped me, display a dedication to helping others, like I rarely see in most other professions.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:59 PM
Banned

Ok, I'll accept a sales tax, make it 20%

BUT

it combines all level of governments

no more income tax
no more property tax
no more fuel tax
no more specialty taxes(booze, smokes, tire, ac, etc)

One tax only set at a locked rate
Old 01-15-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
I am a front line worker as well Iron. Its just real frustrating to see how our tax dollars are spent. Everybody in the system, managment and front line staff need to held accountable. Our managment numbers have gone up since becoming AHS, it would be nice to have it explained why.
If everybody in the system looks at ways to stream line processes / work allotment money can be saved
When no one is held accountable no really looks too hard to change
^^^ this

The spending needs to get under control first before new taxes, Now is the time to get AHS management (not front line staff) under control. Health is sucking up funds from all other sectors and is headed to a major overage this year on a $18B base budget. How many managers are there -- the number is north of 10K. Why is our health care cost per capita so badly out of line when compared to other jurisdictions --- management, committees and cost over runs on health care projects.

This is not the front line staff that are causing the problems. Get the management and their spending under control

Giving Health more money now through re-instating health care premiums or a % of a new tax will not take away the bad behaviour or reckless spending.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie View Post
I said nothing about wanting a sales tax, that wasn't the question.

For the PC's to lose, Alberta would have to vote for Liberal, NDP or are you holding out for the Great Wild Hope. I think you overestimate their chances even over a sales tax.

Oh wait, I forgot they have Rob now

I think the PC's are pretty safe for the time being. I know, let's vote Jim in again and just REALLY dislike him!
If the PC's implement a sales tax they WILL get booted come the next election.I have lived in BC and I resented the sales tax BUT it was there before I was so I had no say.Bring in a sales tax in Alberta that hits everybody(including the down trodden impacted and affected by the deciline in the price of oil)if you do that you have a seriously ticked off elecroate to deal with.

Cut 5% off my wages to pay for the pigs at the the trough and I am an angry voter

There are some tough times ahead BUT Alberta seriously NEEDS some harsh fiscal governance...wage roll-backs for the public sector as well as cuts to the public sector and with no "golden parachutes".

Ralph Klein did a damn good job of it and he lead Alberta to being debt free...after he got pushed aside all his work got chucked under the bus and Alberta had to deal with Stelmach and the Redford.

Alberta does not have a funding problem....it has a spending problem.

FTH
Old 01-15-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:

Cut 5% off my wages to pay for the pigs at the the trough and I am an angry voter

FTH
OK, one more question and I'm done

Would you rather the PC's with a sales tax; or a Liberal government without one?
Old 01-15-2015, 09:35 PM

I will add that I don't think we will see a sales tax. It's smart politics to talk it up, then not do it, and say "Look we managed without the sales tax, aren't we wonderful". And I think Jim is smart.
Taxing everyone when they're down is dumb politics. I don't think Jim is dumb.

Good Cal/Ari game tonight.