Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-13-2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
Just tighten there belt like we have to, no more raises for themselves, teachers, nurses, doctors and who ever else got the big money with the election promises. Cant raise coporate taxes as said here
not sure where you got your info but so that you know that TEACHERS got a zero raise for the next 5 years. Maybe Mr. Prentice should cut his salary along with his chief of staff. last i heard his chief of staff is making 250k plus a year.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:27 PM

I believe that a politician would introduce a PST as quickly as a soldier would pull pin on a grenade and shove it in his pants.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masalma View Post
That is true. As much as I hate the idea of a provincial sales tax, it might be necessary to keep the province operational. The only way I would support it is to hold everyone accountable for spending within the government and when economy rebounds to get rid of it.
How would you do this? They do not give a ...p what you thing and what is fair and needed.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
I believe that a politician would introduce a PST as quickly as a soldier would pull pin on a grenade and shove it in his pants.
In our political situation, that would be a blank grenade.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskra View Post
How would you do this? They do not give a ...p what you thing and what is fair and needed.
That was my point. They will never be held accountable and they will never take it away once it is in place. So it will never have my support.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:03 AM
Banned

Return to a proper income tax system as used by every other province in Canada where you pay more than 10% tax on incomes of over say 100k.

We are not willing to pay for what we receive. Shiny silver balls are a nice soundbite but irrelevant.

Your taxes do not cover our basic health care, schools and roads. If you don't want these which do you want to cut?
Old 01-14-2015, 03:15 AM

They might bring in a carbon tax....
Old 01-14-2015, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Just tighten there belt like we have to, no more raises for themselves, teachers, nurses, doctors and who ever else got the big money with the election promises. Cant raise coporate taxes as said here
The purple dinosaur and his friends took a 4% pay increase. January 1/2015
He now makes over 300k and his underlings are at 115k.

Here we are hoping the provincial leaders will be financially responsible.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
So just what will a person that doesn't want PC do at the poll? For the first time I don't see any option. Spoil the ballet? What good does that do. Optionless!!!
There is still a Wildeose contingent.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
The purple dinosaur and his friends took a 4% pay increase. January 1/2015
He now makes over 300k and his underlings are at 115k.

Here we are hoping the provincial leaders will be financially responsible.
The mayor of Calgary makes almost as much as the USA president?

Man you guys gotta turf him.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connexion123 View Post

My mistake. Its 216k
But he is the highest paid mayor in Canada
Old 01-14-2015, 04:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
I agree here,when did we ever hear of a politician getting a wage rollback?
Never! I've always believed if you are a leader then lead by example! Before we accept a sales tax, let's see the leaders tighten their belts with a salary cut!
Old 01-14-2015, 05:07 AM

1/10 in ahs make 6 figure salaries.
In 2008 that number was 1/25
Old 01-14-2015, 05:07 AM
Banned

I am 100% opposed to a sales tax. I don't for one second believe that the money raised will be spent any more wisely than any money raised in the past has been (except perhaps higher salaries for the politicians, More "field" trips for politicians, and larger pensions for politicians). And of course steady pay raises and better benifits for civil servants.
As for getting rid of the sales tax when times get better? HA. HA. It will only be increased every once in awhile.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:31 AM

Reading a lot of posts in this thread about Alberta MLA's having a pension plan. Can someone please post documented evidence of this as did not Klein get rid of it and hence the severance payouts he brought in in 2001.

The severance payouts were then ixnayed by Redford after the uproar when Kowalski et al left politics. Of course, even though she cancelled the payouts going forward, she could not take away what the MLA had earned prior to her ixnaying the payouts. Hence Hancock's payout.

I am not arguing any of this, just trying to get this either confirmed the way I understand it or get it corrected in my mind.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connexion123 View Post

Doesn't the prez make 500k/yr?
Old 01-14-2015, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masalma View Post
That is true. As much as I hate the idea of a provincial sales tax, it might be necessary to keep the province operational. The only way I would support it is to hold everyone accountable for spending within the government and when economy rebounds to get rid of it.
If they cant hold criminals responsible for their actions, how on earth are politicians ever going to be held responsible for gluttony at the trough? It's the same old story, if they don't spend their budget it will be cut back, so curing government waste is a pipe dream. Why not follow Colorado and legalize pot, the deficit would be paid off in no time (and no I'm not a card carrying liberal but the PC's are p*****g me off, the money I'm saving at the pumps will go right back to the trough). same old same old mentality. Stop the bus I want to get off.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Doesn't the prez make 500k/yr?

Obama is getting 400K this year

Here is what we pay our feds:
Harper gets 327K
http://canadaonline.about.com/od/hou...parliament.htm
Old 01-14-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
1/10 in ahs make 6 figure salaries.
In 2008 that number was 1/25
This is part of the problem. To many managers, not enough workers. Every one wants to be the boss. For example. Department of environment, small group maybe 30 members. There are 12 managers, directors. For a total of 30 people. Plus all managers get a parking spot downtown Edmonton @ 600.00 month,paid by you (taxpayer).
In private industry you might have 1, 2 managers for 30 people. There are some provincial public servants ( they are servants to you and me, make sure they know!) that are managers with nobody underneath them?
Every manager wants the biggest budget, they have to spend all that $$. There is no incentive to save $$. They are empire building. Wrong incentives for government. There is no incentive for speed, efficiency or innovation ( which is what industry is about).
I do not favor PST. The market can keep public expenditure a little honest. once a PST is ingrained in the province. We will never loose it.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:23 AM

I don't think fooling with royalties would get the privince anywhere at all. That would drive the oil sector crazy.

I think restructuring AHS would be the #1 concern as it is the largest, most inefficient and costly portfolio. Next would be to renegotiate transfer payments to be more elastic in terms of Alberta's needs.

If a provincial sales tax were to be implemented, like the GST, it would never be retracted and the provincial government would learn to rely on it. Remember also that taxing Joe Alberta who's out of work does not stimulate the economy, but had the opposite effect since he would have less to spend. The more money Joe Alberta has, the more he can invest and spend which will drive the economy.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:25 AM

Giving the gov't more money is like giving a crackhead more crack. They will just abuse it, become more addicted then want even more. We need to rehab the gov't.

On the other hand maybe we can qualify for transfer payments.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjd View Post
Return to a proper income tax system as used by every other province in Canada where you pay more than 10% tax on incomes of over say 100k.

We are not willing to pay for what we receive. Shiny silver balls are a nice soundbite but irrelevant.

Your taxes do not cover our basic health care, schools and roads. If you don't want these which do you want to cut?
If you are suggesting that those with a >$100k salary are only paying 10% income tax you better read the regs again.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:54 AM

I am also against a sales tax. I don't trust the gov't to remove it when times get better. Typically they get quite used to having the money to spend. And when things get better they will crow about what a good job they are doing.

However I am not sure Alberta can solve this cash shortage smiply through cuts. I truly hope the Gov't can come up with some other source to increase their revenue and mix that with some serious, painful but liveable, cuts. Weather the bust and loosen the reins when things pick up. Perhaps even get wise and don't loosen too much but start the Heritage fund again.

I grew up in BC and am very familiar with sales tax. I moved to Alberta 20 years ago and one of the things I am most proud of has been their ability to function without a sales tax. I really hope that we don't turn tail and give in at the first sign of trouble. If you think sales tax is the answer, perhaps take a trip west and do some buying. It really hits home when something priced at $150.00 rings up at the till for $168.00.

Last edited by Skybuster; 01-14-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:13 AM
Gone Fishing

We will never see a sales tax here in Alberta as the distinction of not having one is as precious to Albertans as the "Rat Free" designation and the image of jacked up trucks with nuts on the tow hitch!
Old 01-14-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybuster View Post
If you are suggesting that those with a >$100k salary are only paying 10% income tax you better read the regs again.
Federal tax is a lot more than 10%.

Our provincial income tax rate is 10% regardless of income. Here is a link, we do have it pretty good.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html
Old 01-14-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
Federal tax is a lot more than 10%.

Our provincial income tax rate is 10% regardless of income. Here is a link, we do have it pretty good.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html
Be thankful we arent in quebec.
Income tax rates for 2015

The income tax rates for the 2015 taxation year, determined on the basis of your taxable income, are as follows:

Taxable income Rate
$41,935 or less 16%
More than $41,935, but not more than $83,865 20%
More than $83,865, but not more than $102,040 24%
More than $102,040 25.75%

But this also might explain why they pay for a lot more things there than the rest of the country.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:57 AM

A sales tax would be the best way to go think about it if you hve a higher income you will buy more toys ect, if lower income people already do not buy toys then only the people with the higher income will pay the sales tax.
Some how we must start paying our way puting more tax on the sectors that pruduce the jobs ect. will only cause them to go some place else.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Be thankful we arent in quebec.
Income tax rates for 2015

The income tax rates for the 2015 taxation year, determined on the basis of your taxable income, are as follows:

Taxable income Rate
$41,935 or less 16%
More than $41,935, but not more than $83,865 20%
More than $83,865, but not more than $102,040 24%
More than $102,040 25.75%

But this also might explain why they pay for a lot more things there than the rest of the country.
I saw a chart recently that compared overall taxation per province. Quebec's overall provincial taxation is double what our's is.

We really do have it good.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:00 AM
Banned

Default yeh - but what you don't see in these comparisons ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
I saw a chart recently that compared overall taxation per province. Quebec's overall provincial taxation is double what our's is.

We really do have it good.
is all the hidden taxes we get dinged for ...

take for example "your EnMax" bill (if you live in Calgary) this company is pulling in record hundreds of millions in profits for Neshi and his purple bus ...

look at municipal taxes (property taxes), payroll taxes (cpp and ei), user fees - school fees - fuel taxes - canada post - and taxes they charge on taxes these days (there was a WAR fought over this) - and every other surcharge / distribution fee they can dream up - etc etc

boys we're effectively taxed over 50% nowadays - not this grossly inaccurate figure of 10% (the ones benefiting most from the tax system) would have you believe ...

this is worst then the feudal system of old europe !

we are slaves to these over paid bureaucrats in gov't !!

time to throw them out !

Last edited by TBD; 01-14-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308 man View Post
A sales tax would be the best way to go think about it if you hve a higher income you will buy more toys ect, if lower income people already do not buy toys then only the people with the higher income will pay the sales tax.
Some how we must start paying our way puting more tax on the sectors that pruduce the jobs ect. will only cause them to go some place else.
Right on, I can hardly wait to start paying PST on food, clothing, shelter.
I for one do not consider these to be toys as it already takes almost everything I earn just to live