Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-13-2015, 08:09 PM

Default Alberta Sales Tax ....

It was a sad day when Wild Rose crossed the floor. Mr. Prentiss is a tough adversary and I believe they were looking out for themselves in the up coming election that I think Will be call this spring shortly after a bad news budget is brought to the floor.
Yes we have to look at what is coming in but we also have to know what is going out!!! That is the unknown.
In our family we look at what is going out to see where we can cut. There is not much left to cut in our house if we wanted to cut. So we now need more income to maintain our life style.
Sounds like my house is like the Alberta Provincial House... Except we live in ours 24/7. There are scary times coming.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:24 PM

That is true. As much as I hate the idea of a provincial sales tax, it might be necessary to keep the province operational. The only way I would support it is to hold everyone accountable for spending within the government and when economy rebounds to get rid of it.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:29 PM

So, you guys are ok with adding a sales tax to the burden those about to be layed off are going to be faced with?

I'm not.

Raise royalties, and corporate taxes. The resources are ours (as residents of this province) and they should be used to invest in the future, and in diversification of the economy (ie. reinstate the old Heritage Trust Fund legislation...the original version).

And corporations need to pick up their share of the public costs (infrastructure their employees use, health care, education) that help them make their profits. While it's true these costs will be passed to the consumer, as we're a petro-province, those consumers predominantly reside outside our borders, so they can pick up some of the costs. Of course, the shareholders will be protected. They always are.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masalma View Post
That is true. As much as I hate the idea of a provincial sales tax, it might be necessary to keep the province operational. The only way I would support it is to hold everyone accountable for spending within the government and when economy rebounds to get rid of it.
They would never get rid of it as promised same as income tax and g.s.t
I dont know how everyone else feels but the 50% or so of my income thats robbed from me already feels like more then enough.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:32 PM

No SALES TAX ever!!! We have a spending problem, not a revenue problem. The PC's just hid a bunch of the Sunshine program pointing out government employees making 100k plus.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANG View Post
I dont know how everyone else feels but the 50% or so of my income thats robbed from me already feels like more then enough.
Thanks BANG on. We have the safest place on earth to extract resources and our royalties are bottom of the barrel. I won't be happy if it comes outta my pocket to balance this mess. They take enough from joe canada
Old 01-13-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
No SALES TAX ever!!! We have a spending problem, not a revenue problem. The PC's just hid a bunch of the Sunshine program pointing out government employees making 100k plus.
That's exactly what it is, a spending problem! We have huge beaurocratic weight that needs to be reduced. Once they introduce provincial tax - its going to be here for good! And we can't raise corporate taxes either - or companies going to start to move out to more tax favorable places. Look at California.....
Old 01-13-2015, 08:45 PM

It seems to be the media that is pushing the sales tax, and if the media thinks it's good for us it must be. CTV and Global seem to be conditioning us for a sales tax when Prentice isn't.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I'm as right wing as they come. But plz, pray tell who is holding this government accountable? Who will? <crickets>
Old 01-13-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I have a couple ideas; you just pay a little more income tax & you figure out a way to keep who accountable for your money. I don't think they spend mine very wisely. No offense intended!
Old 01-13-2015, 08:52 PM
Gone Hunting

There's little accountability now, why would there be any later?

We have a spending problem. That's it.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-13-2015, 08:52 PM

Increase taxes will ultimately result in inflation; which will make things worse.

Increasing the royalties/corporate tax will make companies lay off more to reduce their cost & they'll cancel more investments like what happened when mr. Genius stelmach raised royalties in 08 (if I rem well)

The only solution is to attract more investments, both local & FDI & that's by figuring out another industry to make up for the O&G losses. Tourism & agriculture should be taken more seriously here as a start. Other industries to follow.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:13 PM

As people get laid off in a recession the government should be trimming off as well & by that bureaucracy first. The sad fact is they will do whatever they want whenever they want. They virtually have no one to answer to.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:34 PM

Just tighten there belt like we have to, no more raises for themselves, teachers, nurses, doctors and who ever else got the big money with the election promises. Cant raise coporate taxes as said here
Old 01-13-2015, 09:37 PM

No more taxes please! Be responsible with what we already pay!
Old 01-13-2015, 09:44 PM

Once a sales tax is implemented, it will never go away. The idiots in power need to control their spending, not tax us even more.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:46 PM
Banned

Default sorry - not going to happen ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
Just tighten there belt like we have to, no more raises for themselves, teachers, nurses, doctors and who ever else got the big money with the election promises. Cant raise coporate taxes as said here
did you hear today - Neshi and crew gave themselves all a raise !! ( I never seen such a gong show for city hall)

I guess the fact that all these bufoons can do is spend money on useless city pet projects (bike lanes, circles .... ) and can't seem to solve real issues like the rental suite shortage our city is facing -- is cause for celebration ??

the whole lot of them should be fired !!

just one example how the gov't looks after their own when times get tough ...

Last edited by TBD; 01-13-2015 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlej View Post

Alberta Sales Tax ....

... Words like that ^ could get you 'tarred & feathered', real fast around here!!!

All kidding aside ... over the last 50+ years this province has been through at least three major 'Busts', and every time it happens this dirty subject comes up. Here we are in 2015 and we still don't have a sales tax, thank Gawd!

Any Alberta politician who would openly, seriously consider implementing a sales tax, might just as well pull out a knife and slit his/her own political throat.

Next question

Mac
Old 01-13-2015, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANG View Post

Agree. I pay more than enough. Federally and provincially
Old 01-13-2015, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
did you hear today - Neshi and crew gave themselves all a raise !! ( I never seen such a gong show for city hall)

I guess the fact that all these bufoons can do is spend money on useless city pet projects (bike lanes, circles .... ) and can't seem to solve real issues like the rental suite shortage our city is facing -- is cause for celebration ??

the whole lot of them should be fired !!

just an example how the gov't looks after their own when times get tough ...
They can be fired by the electorate.

As of now, seems everyone approves.

People forget come election time.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:05 PM

Yes we have seen boom and bust, and this one is going to have a lot of bust to it. How can we fire them if 9 of them just cross the floor? Mr. Prentise has said he is not intested in a sales take, but wants to hear what we say. Well we want a balance budget, maybe a surplus? Well that is easy.... Sales tax will do that, that's what we asked for....
Old 01-13-2015, 10:06 PM

Dont forget lighted crosswalks...
Old 01-13-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connexion123 View Post
They can be fired by the electorate.

As of now, seems everyone approves.

People forget come election time.
So just what will a person that doesn't want PC do at the poll? For the first time I don't see any option. Spoil the ballet? What good does that do. Optionless!!!
Old 01-13-2015, 10:11 PM

The oil companies are making changes to live within their means, due to dropping income. Let's see what happens next?
Old 01-13-2015, 10:11 PM

You should have to pay taxes based on where you work

From NFLD but work in AB? Then your taxes go here. Or at least a portion.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlej View Post
It was a sad day when Wild Rose crossed the floor. Mr. Prentiss is a tough adversary and I believe they were looking out for themselves in the up coming election that I think Will be call this spring shortly after a bad news budget is brought to the floor.
Yes we have to look at what is coming in but we also have to know what is going out!!! That is the unknown.
In our family we look at what is going out to see where we can cut. There is not much left to cut in our house if we wanted to cut. So we now need more income to maintain our life style.
Sounds like my house is like the Alberta Provincial House... Except we live in ours 24/7. There are scary times coming.

Spending issue.

If this is the issue you will have to look at what is value.

Then define what is to be spent?
Old 01-13-2015, 10:23 PM
Banned

Spending problem. Start cutting government spending. When I drive down Whitemud and see that giant pile of chrome balls I am reminded that government clearly has too much money. Such a gross waste of money on these frivolous monuments to political ego's and they have the balls to even think about taking yet MORE money out of my pocket?

They want to start taxing the food off of Joe Sixpack's table when they are piling money and lighting it on fire? I'm headed down to Peavey Mart to buy a pitch fork tomorrow, and beat the rush.

Last edited by rugatika; 01-13-2015 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Spending problem. Start cutting government spending. When I drive down Whitemud and see that giant pile of chrome balls I am reminded that government clearly has too much money. Such a gross waste of money on these frivolous monuments to political ego's and they have the balls to even think about taking yet MORE money out of my pocket?

They want to start taxing the food off of Joe Sixpack's table when they are piling money and lighting it on fire? I'm headed down to Peavey Mart to buy a pitch fork tomorrow, and beat the rush.
^^^ this!
Old 01-13-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
Sorry, these teachers and nurses did not get a big raise. Check your numbers before saying this. I know my salary was frozen 2 years ago for 5 years. No raises here.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
You should have to pay taxes based on where you work

From NFLD but work in AB? Then your taxes go here. Or at least a portion.
This!

Too much money is being shipped out of province.

That being said, the province needs consistent income to allow for proper planning, and get back to putting money INTO the heritage fund. The heritage fund should NOT be operating budget.

And yes, I work with a lot of out of province guys.