Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-29-2014, 02:08 PM

Redfrog, I like your idea of the elected senate, but Rob Ford needs to be run off of the road forever as he would negate any benefit of the elected senate, and make the institution as a whole more of a laughing stock than he already is.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whammy View Post
How will he shred him? I honestly can't see Harper having a chance against Trudeau in the next election. In the last year Harper and the Conservatives have had nothing but bad press. I'm not saying Trudeau is going to be better, I'm just curious why you think Harper will shred him?
"There’s a level of admiration I actually have for China because their basic dictatorship is allowing them to actually turn their economy around on a dime"

“Nunavut, Northwest Territories, and the Yukon are done without political parties around consensus" - Yukon most certainly has parties. Clown does not even know how the country he wants to lead is run.

"My point was that we can learn a lot from the less partisan, more co-operative orientation to politics in the Yukon" - Yukon has the worst bloodsport partisan gross hate filled politics in the country

"All the great prime ministers come from Quebec. That is why Quebec should run this country"

"Albertans have don a terrible job running this country"

Shiny Pony is doing Harpers job for him. But if you want to vote for a hairdo and give up your guns that is your right.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Wagon View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/just...ucus-1.2515273

New Democrat Leader Tom Mulcair also raised an eyebrow in response to Trudeau's surprise announcement.

"It's quite interesting to see today that Justin Trudeau sees the merits of something we put on the table on Oct. 23," Mulcair said.

Last fall, the New Democrats had put forth a motion to end partisan activities in the Senate, including participation in caucus meetings. Trudeau voted against it.

Ultimately, Mulcair returned to the party's long-held position that the Upper Chamber should be abolished.
I think that the house putting forth the motion could be seen as unconstitutional. A political party removing them from its own caucus is different.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nof60 View Post
"There’s a level of admiration I actually have for China because their basic dictatorship is allowing them to actually turn their economy around on a dime"

“Nunavut, Northwest Territories, and the Yukon are done without political parties around consensus" - Yukon most certainly has parties. Clown does not even know how the country he wants to lead is run.

"My point was that we can learn a lot from the less partisan, more co-operative orientation to politics in the Yukon" - Yukon has the worst bloodsport partisan gross hate filled politics in the country

"All the great prime ministers come from Quebec. That is why Quebec should run this country"

"Albertans have don a terrible job running this country"

Shiny Pony is doing Harpers job for him. But if you want to vote for a hairdo and give up your guns that is your right.
How will Harper shred him though? Trudeau is young and says stupid things no doubt, but Harper has to go up against him with some big scandals and mismanagement of the country under his belt. Other than some juvenile comments Trudeau is pretty well a blank slate.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:14 PM

What did he do????

He changed the name from Liberal senator to Independant senator.

So what?

Now when one of them screws up, they cant be labelled a Liberal

Do you think ANY of the senators will change their thinking now that they are Independants?

It was a move to make people think he actually did something.

He did nothing but ensure that there is never another "liberal" senator under investigation........ Smoke and mirrors
Old 01-29-2014, 02:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
How will Harper shred him though? Trudeau is young and says stupid things no doubt, but Harper has to go up against him with some big scandals and mismanagement of the country under his belt. Other than some juvenile comments Trudeau is pretty well a blank slate.
And a blank stare.

But hey, why not have a school teacher run the country. What harm could possibly come from that. I want a leader who runs off at the mouth with typical Quebecois arrogance. Pure Wool and all that.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseelk View Post
He also said he believes in gun control.Point bieng,he is a Liberal,Therefore he lies.
They all lie but...how can a clear statement that he believes in gun control...which could mean anything.... be considered a lie?

Most people including probably you believe in gun control of some type.
But of course that means different things to each of us and we all have our own limitations or reservations.

I believe in gun control... but oppose the LGR and a few other items supported by Cooky Wendy does that make me a liar or a Liberal?

Of course not... it simply means that I do not support guns being sold in 7-11 to 10 year olds or unlicensed sales or sales to peole with criminal pasts or those with questionable mental histories.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
And a blank stare.

But hey, why not have a school teacher run the country. What harm could possibly come from that. I want a leader who runs off at the mouth with typical Quebecois arrogance. Pure Wool and all that.
I don't know who you are arguing with but it isn't me!
Old 01-29-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
What did he do????

So what?

Do you think ANY of the senators will change their thinking now that they are Independants?

He did nothing but ensure that there is never another "liberal" senator under investigation........ Smoke and mirrors
He'll have to tread carefully. Now he's taken this step, he has to make sure that the Liberal party keeps its distance from these senators going forward. If it comes out that these 'independent' senators are being fed orders from the Liberal caucus it will blow up in his face and do irreparable damage. Obviously those senators appointed by the Libs are going to be left leaning politically... time will tell.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
And a blank stare.

Why would it somehow be worse to have a school teacher than an accountant and shill for big oil at the helm?

Why not a farmer or a doctor or an ex-soldier?

Would you not expect any of those people to be more grounded, honest, salt of the earth and in touch with average Canadians than professional politicians and peoples whose whole life has been focused on little more than profit margins?

Lets face it we can hire the expertise the PM needs WRT the ecconomy etc and we already do....although he seems bent on ignoring or silencing it.

What we need is a guy who makes the right decissions on behalf of Canadians and not some guy that developes often bad legislation relying upon his arrogance and a majority and a partisan senate to hammer it thorough at all of our peril.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
He'll have to tread carefully. Now he's taken this step, he has to make sure that the Liberal party keeps its distance from these senators going forward. If it comes out that these 'independent' senators are being fed orders from the Liberal caucus it will blow up in his face and do irreparable damage. Obviously those senators appointed by the Libs are going to be left leaning politically... time will tell.
Good pointz

It will be interesting if any further scandal breaks in the next month with a lib or independant senator.........

Preplanned move? Time will tell
Old 01-29-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Or stop reading about the endless scandals and incompetence of northern politicians. Heck just this week Yukon gov is being sued by 4 first nations, has been caught lyeing AGAIN and finished construction on 53 million worth of hospitals that their own studies showed were unneeded. Pork Barrel polictics is the norm in the North.

Besides we are all here cause we didnt fit in down there!!
I hear ya on our politicians

But we were talking about 4 random people representing the Prov/Terr's. I would love to see a trapper/miner/real northerner in there....but you're right....they definitely do not fit in down there!!!

It would be entertaining to watch!!!!!
Old 01-29-2014, 02:39 PM
Banned

Freemasons forbid discussion of politics and religion in Lodge. Not a bad policy. If I had to explain why Harper is better for us gun owners in the West than Shiny Pony you would not understand and vice versa. So instead I give you this.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
What did he do????

So what?

He forced the PM's hand.

Now... the Conservatives must at least follow suit or face criticism whenever their senatorial lap dogs come to heel for them or make a mess on the carpet.

No...I do not expect that the former Liberal Senators will change their leanings nor would I expect the Conservative Senators to but... the only way the PM can now LEAD on the senate issue is to take steps that do better than ape the Liberals.
IOW... the only way the PM can now be seen as more genuine about senate reform than his rival is... the only way he can LEAD on this issue will be to make changes that impact the whole Senate including his own pets.

Either that or risk an increased perception of being dis-ingenuous regarding senate reform period.

Whatever that is it will probably be done in haste and if the Conservatives are true to form it will be bad legislation.
In the past when they have done this they were able to take the position that they were (for instance) tough on crime leaving the opposition to point out that their new laws were often unconstitutional and the courts to sort it out.
Years pass and they manage to distance themselves from the problems created or at least benefit from peoples short attention spans.
They managed to capitalize that way a number of times but in this instance... it will not be so easy because the issue at hand will be constitutional reform itself and that will certainly result in more people focusing and for longer upon what is going on than something like the omnibus crime bill.

Trudeau just robbed both the NDP and the Conservatives of the initiative and now...they are both left to scap with each other for second place on this issue while he can now sit back and say that they did their part and have done all that they could within their power to give Canadians what they have demanded for years.

Now... what will the government elect or the official opposition do?
Stall?
Deny?
Pay lip service some more?
Or act?

Its a tough spot for Harper now... regardless of the fact that he honestly cannot just wave a magic wand and make sweeping changes... the perception among Canadians that the Conservatives have no intention of giving up any influence they might have in the senate...will grow.

Be honest.... it was very well played.
Probably one of the slickest political moves in Canada since the King Bing Affair.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Harper, a conservative, has a dictatorship....sounds to me like your not supporting that??
What real Conservative would unless they were opposed to democracy in principle?
Old 01-29-2014, 03:21 PM
Banned

Smooth move Justin:

It surely is not for the country, it is for the liberal party.

I can guarantee that my buddies at Sun News are digging up some juicy dirt.

Stay tuned AO folks.

Remember, Justin has a lot of slimy advisors, and a liberal media to sell his agenda.

And his agenda is against Alberta.

Edit . That rascal Huntinstuff has already beat me to the post.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:28 PM
Banned

A fluff move to fool the masses into thinking he's taking a stance on something and can act like a leader. Zero practical ramifications.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
A fluff move to fool the masses into thinking he's taking a stance on something and can act like a leader. Zero practical ramifications.
Sadly it seems to be working. On AO anyway!
Old 01-29-2014, 03:37 PM

Dollars for donuts the lieb senators he's pulling have some crooked accounting boo-boos of their own and he's ****-canning them to avoid looking like a lying hypocrite as he continues making political hay out of wallin and duffy's crooked accounting practices.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Dollars for donuts the lieb senators he's pulling have some crooked accounting boo-boos of their own and he's ****-canning tham to avoid looking like a lying hypocrite as he continues making political hay out of wallin and duffy's crooked accounting practices.
Bingo.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
How will he shred him? I honestly can't see Harper having a chance against Trudeau in the next election. In the last year Harper and the Conservatives have had nothing but bad press. I'm not saying Trudeau is going to be better, I'm just curious why you think Harper will shred him?
Maybe because Harper actually has a resume and has done a good job fiscally running the country...lots of chatter from the left but nothing out of the ordinary for Canadian politics, Its going to be tough to knock the Conservatives out of power there will be lots of good news coming out prior to the next election, things like 0 deficit, lower taxes lots a good stuff that Libs hate.

Also by the time the next election campaign starts the Conservatives will have a warehouse full of Juniors gaffs, he is golden for the conservatives, vote splitting between the dippers and Libs will surely seal the deal for our man Steve from Calgary...
Old 01-29-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:

But hey, why not have a school teacher run the country. What harm could possibly come from that..
Agreed. I think we need a lawyer for a change.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Cause you could not find 4 people worth sending
You're implying the ones that are sitting there now are worthy!!!!
Old 01-29-2014, 04:07 PM

hal53 has it right! Do you really think the Liberal Senators will suddenly become objective and stop voting the party line?? If you believe that then I have a bridge for sale!!
Old 01-29-2014, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
You're implying the ones that are sitting there now are worthy!!!!
Good point.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Freemasons forbid discussion of politics and religion in Lodge. Not a bad policy. If I had to explain why Harper is better for us gun owners in the West than Shiny Pony you would not understand and vice versa. So instead I give you this.
You don't own a freemason bible?
Old 01-29-2014, 04:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
You don't own a freemason bible?
Yes I do. Why do you ask?
Old 01-29-2014, 05:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sadly it seems to be working. On AO anyway!
This has always been the liberal playbook going back as long as I can remember. Tell the people what they want to hear and then do as you please. There have been thousands and thousands of Liberal appointments made to the bureaucracy over the years....all without the "Liberal" brand. Does anyone here think that makes them any less devoted to the Liberal party? Ha.

Funny to hear people thinking this is in any way significant.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
This has always been the liberal playbook going back as long as I can remember. Tell the people what they want to hear and then do as you please. There have been thousands and thousands of Liberal appointments made to the bureaucracy over the years....all without the "Liberal" brand. Does anyone here think that makes them any less devoted to the Liberal party? Ha.

Funny to hear people thinking this is in any way significant.
C'mon Rug...it was a 'BOLD" move...hahahahaha,,, sorry still chuckling over that one.....
Old 01-29-2014, 06:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Dollars for donuts the lieb senators he's pulling have some crooked accounting boo-boos of their own and he's ****-canning them to avoid looking like a lying hypocrite as he continues making political hay out of wallin and duffy's crooked accounting practices.
He dropped em all.

Fluff move or not... it will impress a lot of folks and put pressure on the Conservatives. It also leaves the NDP with nothing to respond with since they do not have any senators.

Gotta give the guy credit... it was a slick move and he managed to pull it off without leaks etc so it has even more impact.