Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
$92,300 for 200 days and 5 hours a day work.

And you think that is fair. A lot of school teachers set up side businesses because they have so much free time. At the expense of the taxpayer.

The cost of living in the U.S. is 30 percent less than in Canada. I think those sun tanners in Florida are getting a pretty good deal.
200 days!

What district to you live in? Our teachers teach far less than that.

I assume you wouldn't agree that teachers should be entitled to drive a Mercedes until they get their pension, then?
Old 12-01-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
You are right. It is quite different. In my example there was actually a vote and it was successful. Has there been any vote or charge laid in the issue we are discussing on this thread? Nope.

My point is that just because the opposition howls for a resignation, doesn't mean there is a thing behind it or that it's going to go anywhere. It's an everyday occurance in a parliamentary democracy. "Resign! Shame! Resign!" rings through the legislatures of the country daily.
Christy Clark is still going through conflict of interest in the B.C. Rail scandal that started in 2003 and most of the Liberals have wanted her out since she began her stint as Premier. Chances are that Redford will see this one out, unfortunately.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Christy Clark is still going through conflict of interest in the B.C. Rail scandal that started in 2003 and most of the Liberals have wanted her out since she began her stint as Premier. Chances are that Redford will see this one out, unfortunately.
I doubt she will survive the next election.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:27 PM

Problem is they don't pay people enough to be Premier...hence you get what you pay for.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
200 days!

I assume you wouldn't agree that teachers should be entitled to drive a Mercedes until they get their pension, then?
Teachers have 200 work days
Kids have 180

My wifes work day is 8-4:30
And that doesnt include all the "Homework" she does at night
Or report cards where it is extremly long days
Or the prep time for her classroom to get ready for the year
Or the PD days she does on the weekends (Classes)
Or the week she takes in the summer for further development
Or the nights for Parent teacher interviews

She deals with 40 some odd sets of parents as well.

You all think Teachers have it so easy.. Go get 4 years in University then start climbing the ladder.

She has no job security and can be fired for cause at any point.
(No Union)

I might also add, she loves her job.

Jamie
Old 12-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Problem is they don't pay people enough to be Premier...hence you get what you pay for.
Double TAP!

Should be 1,000,000/ year

MLA's should all be at $500,000

Perhaps then we would some some extremly qualified people.

Jamie
Old 12-01-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
$92,300 for 200 days and 5 hours a day work.

And you think that is fair. A lot of school teachers set up side businesses because they have so much free time. At the expense of the taxpayer.

The cost of living in the U.S. is 30 percent less than in Canada. I think those sun tanners in Florida are getting a pretty good deal.

I don't really understand why so many on this forum are so rabid about trashing teachers.

My parents are both retired teachers. My mom was a teacher librarian.

The idea that they work 5 hour days is laughable. My brother and I would spend countless hours in the school gym playing floor hockey while my mom worked her weekends cataloging books, placing orders, and completing the other huge list of responsibilities that she had as a teacher. We would go in during the summer months, so she could set up arts and crafts displays. My father would spend evenings and weekends reading essays, marking papers, driving the cross country and volleyball teams to meets, MC'ing the kids' graduation ceremonies, and would voluntarily organize study groups for kids who needed to get ready for their final exams.

Sure there are some bad apples that don't deserve their salaries, but to generalize about these professionals who fulfill an incredibly important social role is pretty sad.

When I was just out of university, I c-class subbed for a while and I considered teaching as a career, but decided that for the level of professional commitment required and the difficulty of the job, the compensation wasn't good enough.

My perspective is that those of us who are clever and able enough to be an effective teacher often choose careers that are less demanding and pay more.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Kids have 180

You all think Teachers have it so easy.. Go get 4 years in University then start climbing the ladder.

(No Union)

Jamie
Exactly.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Gone Hunting

Nothingat all against teachers, there are some (most) damn good ones. I have a problem,is that they can't/won't let themselves be rated on personal performance, thereby, kids are slipping thru' the cracks, is it fair to a kid to graduate Gr. 12 , that can't spell???, or one (true story) asked me for an e-mail addy, spelt it out for him, and he said "what's a hyphen???...please don't tell me thats the curriculum...and they can be bribed by the Queen...that sucks!!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Nothingat all against teachers, there are some (most) damn good ones. I have a problem,is that they can't/won't let themselves be rated on personal performance, thereby, kids are slipping thru' the cracks, is it fair to a kid to graduate Gr. 12 , that can't spell???, or one (true story) asked me for an e-mail addy, spelt it out for him, and he said "what's a hyphen???...please don't tell me thats the curriculum...and they can be bribed by the Queen...that sucks!!!!
See this is the kind of comment that actually raises valid concerns. Thanks Hal, for the grain of common sense.

The whole spiel about them working 2 hours a year and having a pension that they can buy Ferraris with is just sensationalist bogus.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Double TAP!

Should be 1,000,000/ year

MLA's should all be at $500,000

Perhaps then we would some some extremly qualified people.

Jamie
Sorry Jamie, I don't often disagree with you but if they paid that much you would just get some that are more crooked than the ones we have now. As I said before, they are only in it for themselves and the money. They don't care about the people or the country, just line their pockets.
PG
Old 12-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Banned

Parents have to take a lot of responsibility as well. If your kid can't read, you have done something wrong as a parent.

Personal responsibility people!

They teach kids to read, not make them.
Jamie
Old 12-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
Sorry Jamie, I don't often disagree with you but if they paid that much you would just get some that are more crooked than the ones we have now. As I said before, they are only in it for themselves and the money. They don't care about the people or the country, just line their pockets.
PG
Nothing wrong with in for the $$$$
Just make sure they do the jOb and do it extremly well.
Jamie
Old 12-01-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Hey dude, it isn't the teachers that cause this poblem, Have you heard of the no zero policy in Edmonton, not set up by the teachers. Admonstration is the culpit, they won't let the teachers teach and grade accordingly. Teachers are not able to flunk kids, so you create a culture that allows the kids to get by without doing any work. Again, it isn't the teachers causing the problem.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Nothing wrong with in for the $$$$
Just make sure they do the jOb and do it extremly well.
Jamie
YUP!!!...with transparency, just like the Queen campaigned on.....
Old 12-01-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Parents have to take a lot of responsibility as well. If your kid can't read, you have done something wrong as a parent.

Personal responsibility people!

They teach kids to read, not make them.
Jamie
Great point Jamie. There are many folks here who complain about a culture of entitlement but then go on to blaming teachers for children falling through the cracks of the education system.

If parents don't do their jobs and raise their children with a culture of respect for education and a desire to learn, then teachers don't have much of a chance.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npbra View Post
Hey dude, it isn't the teachers that cause this poblem, Have you heard of the no zero policy in Edmonton, not set up by the teachers. Admonstration is the culpit, they won't let the teachers teach and grade accordingly. Teachers are not able to flunk kids, so you create a culture that allows the kids to get by without doing any work. Again, it isn't the teachers causing the problem.
This is somewhat true. I do know however, that the union framework can make it very difficult to reprimand and discipline teachers when needed. There are some poor teachers out there who get away with a lot, but we shouldn't blame all teachers for that.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Not here, they don't.

Quote:
And that doesnt include all the "Homework" she does at night............
You all think Teachers have it so easy...........
Go get 4 years in University then start climbing the ladder.
Uh, huh. Did I mention that I taught school for 7 years?
Old 12-01-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Kids have 180

(No Union)

Jamie
Ha, is this like your post that was in the suffield cow elk limited tag thread?
That was great and I laughed at that too.

Seriously though, I used to visit about 40 schools a year as part of my job.Did it for about 12 years.
For sure there were teachers who cared and went above and beyond, and there were many who showed up at 8:25 and left at 3:25.
Took every sick day and mental health day they could.
I've been lucky with the school my son goes to in Sherwood Park.
Great teachers so far, too bad his grade 4 teacher had to go and die. We lost a good one there.
His grade 5 teacher is pretty darned good and easy to look at as well. I don't think she gets paid extra for that.
Helps them if the parents actually push the kids at home as well.

Any one here want to try teaching on a reserve? Nope. Mom did it for 20 some years.
Now that she is out she says they could never get her back. Not for any amount of money!
What the heck is this thread about?
Oh! Ali Mcgraw! Yes, turf her!!!!!!

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 12-01-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Kids have 180

(No Union)

Jamie
Point being?? No offence, Jamie, but...

Teachers have good job security, good pay for 10 months work, including how many weeks off at Christmas, Easter, etc., great indexed pensions, great healthcare, and more time off than just about any other profession.
Report cards, tests, etc. it's called part of the job. I don't whine for more pay for the business projections I need to do up this weekend, or the fact that I will be called in at least twice to work this weekend.
Oh, and the 12 hour day I had yesterday, when I thought I would be done early, can't count on it like the 11:36 bell every Friday where my kids attend school. It's called work for a reason.

Life, and work is about trade offs. I haven't met too many teachers who don't have a sense of entitlement and feel that they are owed more. There are some, and they laugh at the "entitled" ones.

Being a teacher is a great job, I have done it at the college level, I can't stand the whining and always asking for more. I guess if you hear enough bitching in the staff lounge, you start to believe it after a while
Old 12-01-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltmania View Post
I don't really understand why so many on this forum are so rabid about trashing teachers.

The idea that they work 5 hour days is laughable. My brother and I would spend countless hours in the school gym playing floor hockey while my mom worked her weekends cataloging books, placing orders, and completing the other huge list of responsibilities that she had as a teacher. We would go in during the summer months, so she could set up arts and crafts displays. My father would spend evenings and weekends reading essays, marking papers, driving the cross country and volleyball teams to meets, MC'ing the kids' graduation ceremonies, and would voluntarily organize study groups for kids who needed to get ready for their final exams.

Sure there are some bad apples that don't deserve their salaries, but to generalize about these professionals who fulfill an incredibly important social role is pretty sad.

When I was just out of university, I c-class subbed for a while and I considered teaching as a career, but decided that for the level of professional commitment required and the difficulty of the job, the compensation wasn't good enough.

My perspective is that those of us who are clever and able enough to be an effective teacher often choose careers that are less demanding and pay more.
I have issues with teachers but not for how much or little they work nor how much they earn or don't earn. My son does very well in school and if his grades were not good I doubt it would be the teachers fault in most cases. My issue is that, and this went on even when I was in school, teachers tend to push their beliefs and moralities, etc. onto the children rather than merely sticking to the cirriculum. My son and I share very good communication so for him, I don't worry too much about him being brainwashed into a tree hugger. Being very involved in his school since K.G., I have seen much change and situations that cause me concern. Teachers should stick to the cirriculum and leave their personal biases at home rather than impose them on the little sponges that sit before them. In other words leave the parenting to the parents. And, don't even get me started on the political correctness that has infiltrated our schools with it's dirty claws.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
200 days!

I used the numbers from AVB's post.

I think he might be close to his number.

Let's start at at that 75000.00 a year salary after ten years. Then the juicy perks kick in.

Perks like medical, dental, pension...et al are put into the equation. I even know the school boards pay for psycho relief at 250 bucks an hour for teachers. Does your boss pay for psycho relief?

The medical plans cover things poor taxpayers like me have to pay for by ourselves.

The dental plan is way more comprehensive compared to private industry.

Just remember someone is paying for those perks and it is not the tooth fairey.

Hey AVB: who put out that number?

Last edited by greylynx; 12-01-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:16 PM

The green B. is quite quiet on all this.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
That is AVB's post.

He might have some truth in that number when you look at all the perks like medical, dental, pension...et al are put into the equation.

Just remember someone is paying for those perks and it is not the tooth faiirey.
So teachers do not put part of their salary into a pension fund? They do not pay for dental and health benefits?

Did Klein reduce the royalty rate on oil and gas? Does Alberta have the lowest royalty rate in North America?
Old 12-01-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
The green B. is quite quiet on all this.
Don't tempt.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltmania View Post

What careers are you referring to? These careers you allude to have to be paid for by the taxpayer. And don't post Redford's sister's job please.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
So teachers do not put part of their salary into a pension fund? They do not pay for dental and health benefits?

Did Klein reduce the royalty rate on oil and gas? Does Alberta have the lowest royalty rate in North America?
do you know why the royalties are reduced?????...please explain???
Old 12-01-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
What careers are you referring to? These careers you allude to have to be paid for by the taxpayer. And don't post Redford's sister's job please.
And exactly what quality of education do you think kids will receive if teachers' remuneration isn't competitive?
Old 12-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

do you know why the royalties are reduced?????...please explain???..and pleasew, please don't give me the worn out crap that Gov't. is in bed with "Big Oil"
Old 12-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Banned

Quote:

Sure they put some money into the personal fund, and Myself and all the other taxpayers of Alberta top it off.....Bigtime.

I have no idea how Mr. Klein comes into teacher's benefits.

It seems the only people that ever come at me on this forum are individuals who are paid the taxpayers.
Closed Thread