Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Better give me the link showing the lies and the contrary evidence. I haven't seen it.
OK....not that it will matter to you.

EDMONTON, AB (November 29, 2012): Premier Alison Redford is deliberately misleading Albertans about her involvement in the awarding of a $10 billion tobacco litigation contract to a law consortium connected to her ex-husband and long-time political confidant, the Wildrose Official Opposition said today.

Yesterday in the Legislature, Redford flatly denied that she made the decision to award the contracts to International Tobacco Recovery Lawyers, saying “I was not the Justice minister at the time that the government made that decision.”

She went on to say that she had resigned her position as Justice Minister (which occurred on Feb. 16, 2011) to run for PC leader before the decision to award the contract to ITRL was made.

Documents released under Freedom of Information laws prove otherwise:

As Justice Minister, Redford personally signed a memo awarding the contract to ITRL, saying “… the best choice for Alberta will be the International Tobacco Recovery Lawyers.” (Dec. 14, 2010)

A memo from Assistant Deputy Minister Grant Sprague to Deputy Minister Ray Bodnarek saying, “Shortly before Christmas, Minister Redford selected the International Tobacco Recovery Lawyers.” (Jan. 13, 2011)

Letters of rejection from the Justice department to the unsuccessful firms that say, “the quality of proposals made the assessment of the proposals very challenging. It became obvious that each proposal had their own unique qualities. I regret to advise that your proposal was not successful.” (Dec. 22, 2010)

An e-mail from Sprague to Lorne Merryweather, the Executive Director of Litigation at Justice, saying “Call made to Karsten (sic) Jensen at the successful consortium.”

An e-mail from Carsten Jensen, partner of one of the firms in the ITRL consortium, to the Justice department saying, “We were very happy to learn that we will be working with you on the health care recovery claim.” (Jan. 6, 2011)

Wildrose Official Opposition Leader Danielle Smith says the documents contradict Redford’s claims that she was not Justice Minister when the contract was awarded to ITRL.

“The decision to award the contract to her ex-husband’s firm was clearly hers and hers alone. As Justice Minister, she made the decision,” Smith said. “For her to stand in the Legislature and state the exact opposite is a deliberate attempt to hide the truth and is frankly shocking for someone in her position and her background.”

Wildrose will bring forward a point of privilege in the Legislature today against Redford’s misleading remarks as to her responsibility for awarding the contract.

“Premier Redford must be held accountable for misleading Albertans in the Legislature yesterday,” Wildrose House Leader Rob Anderson said. “Albertans are willing to forgive honest mistakes but they will not tolerate deliberate dishonesty from their leaders.”

http://www.wildrose.ca/feature/redfo...tion-contract/
Old 11-30-2012, 01:41 PM
Gone Hunting

Okie are you out of town? Is that why you are missing this?
I feel like the devil in the nacho commercial.

The law firm was chosen and notified two months before she stepped down to run for leader. The 'losers' were also notified and surprise it was her signature on the notices.

The final contract was not inked until she was in the leadership race.

So she made the choice when she was at the helm, all parties notified, but by the time it was typed and required signing she was 'not in that position."

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yup, I need to see something more than WR saying she is lying and broke the law. IF some Tory said Danielle Smith broke campaign finance laws, I'd expect to see and weight the proof. Man, is that such a foreign concept to you guys? Wait, why am I asking that. LOL
Did you miss that the NDP leader Mason has demanded she step down? He is pushing harder than the Wild Rose.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
Did you miss that the NDP leader Mason has demanded she step down? He is pushing harder than the Wild Rose.
Srange bedfellows! Talk about WR moving to the left... I'll wait for the ethics commissioner's report ..but just in case, I'd like to know that I would be welcome in the WR camp? Does WR take converts?

Last edited by 260 Rem; 11-30-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:01 PM

Fired!
Old 11-30-2012, 02:02 PM

Seems the scandals are popping up weekly. I don't know how these people can sleep at night. I bust my ass to make a honest living and they can do whatever they like to make millions with no consequences. Hopefully Karma will prevail.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Strange bedfellows! Talk about WR moving to the left...
Not really.

WR will win with Redford at the helm. If they turf her sooner than later the Conversatives will win the next election...if they do much better than Redford and Stelmach. Voters are a forgetful bunch.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:07 PM

Whooo hooo..........What difference will it make, if she resigns, gets fired, thrown in jail, has a temper tantrum, goes on strike, dies or retires to N. Vietnam. She would get replaced by another talking head, just more of the same soap opera, different actors. Until the public is allowed to execute politicians nothing will change.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Oh, well then if the NDP wants her gone she's gotta go.

Crisis for the opposition, tempest in a teapot for everyone else. We had an election, this was known before the election, WR and NDP lost. Let them issue a complaint and let's see what Wilkinson rules.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:14 PM
Banned

It was just on Rutherford this morning (Dave Taylor obviously not a con) interviewing Mason. Redford signed the awarding of the contract to her hubbies law firm and then sent a memo to her assistant to put together the letters to the "losers" and the "winners". Then in the leg she tried to claim that because her successor had signed the contract with numbers etc that she did not "select" the law firm. A blatant lie, completely contradicted by the paper trail.

I'm not sure of the legalities of it, but when someone awards a contract (worth millions of taxpayer dollars) to someone she had and still has very close ties to it stinks to high heaven. All she had to do was remove herself from the process. If this law firm was obviously head and shoulders above everyone else, then anyone else would have made the same decision she made.

She screwed up royally. AND being a lawyer herself, she should dang well know what she was doing stunk to high heaven.

At any rate. Like I said before, thanks to everyone that put her in office. This should finish off the PC's for good. Right now, the PC mandarins are crapping themselves trying to decide if they stand beside her while their party circles the toilet or hurry up and ditch her with the hope of not getting too much more stink on them.

Funny how everyone except her devotees knew what Alberta was getting into before she even took the podium. Such is the direction the world seems to be heading these days.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Whooo hooo..........What difference will it make, if she resigns, gets fired, thrown in jail, has a temper tantrum, goes on strike, dies or retires to N. Vietnam. She would get replaced by another talking head, just more of the same soap opera, different actors. Until the public is allowed to execute politicians nothing will change.
I have never heard it put better. Every one in government is there for themselves and the benefits they reap, and the pensions they will get. They have no interest what happens to the people as long as they get their share first.
PG
Old 11-30-2012, 02:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
I consider a Premier throwing coins in a rage at homeless people to be ethically challenged too, but we did alright by Ralph overall.
A momentary lack of judgement for which he profusely apologized for.

Unlike the current premier, who is playing the Nixonian defence.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
It was just on Rutherford this morning (Dave Taylor obviously not a con) interviewing Mason. Redford signed the awarding of the contract to her hubbies law firm and then sent a memo to her assistant to put together the letters to the "losers" and the "winners". Then in the leg she tried to claim that because her successor had signed the contract with numbers etc that she did not "select" the law firm. A blatant lie, completely contradicted by the paper trail.

I'm not sure of the legalities of it, but when someone awards a contract (worth millions of taxpayer dollars) to someone she had and still has very close ties to it stinks to high heaven. All she had to do was remove herself from the process. If this law firm was obviously head and shoulders above everyone else, then anyone else would have made the same decision she made.

She screwed up royally. AND being a lawyer herself, she should dang well know what she was doing stunk to high heaven.

At any rate. Like I said before, thanks to everyone that put her in office. This should finish off the PC's for good. Right now, the PC mandarins are crapping themselves trying to decide if they stand beside her while their party circles the toilet or hurry up and ditch her with the hope of not getting too much more stink on them.

Funny how everyone except her devotees knew what Alberta was getting into before she even took the podium. Such is the direction the world seems to be heading these days.

Same as yourself, this one did not surprise me on bit.

Enjoy it people, you own this one.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:37 PM

As stated before, I don't think that the female coyote could sleep in a grain auger, because the flighting would not be tight enough. Get her smug patoot out of our government!
Old 11-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebuck View Post
As stated before, I don't think that the female coyote could sleep in a grain auger, because the flighting would not be tight enough. Get her smug patoot out of our government!
Did everyone see that "sneer" on her face in question period yesterday???...Yikes,I have trouble believing that her ex's Law Firm won that contract on past performance, one of the partners was dumb enough to marry THAT!!!!?????....WOW!!!!!!!
Old 11-30-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post

Power breeds arrogance, and makes her feel untouchable. Her sentiments as sad as they were in the end showed her populous that she can do whatever she wants. At the end of the day unless some one holds her to task she'll keep her job. I guess we need a recall system.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Srange bedfellows! Talk about WR moving to the left... I'll wait for the ethics commissioner's report ..but just in case, I'd like to know that I would be welcome in the WR camp? Does WR take converts?
Ya me too, we might have to run a gauntlet or shine Rocky's boots.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Did everyone see that "sneer" on her face in question period yesterday???...
Yup.

I saw it when her last name was Hawkes. She's always been an ambitious, elitist, *&^m!*(8***!
Old 11-30-2012, 03:24 PM

Could it be that her idea of what constitutes ethical behaviour has been heavily influenced by her long association with the United Nations, one of the most corrupt organizations on earth?
Old 11-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think the issue is that REdford has violated conflict issues, and lied, and this is why the NDP side with the WR.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Did everyone see that "sneer" on her face in question period yesterday???...Yikes,I have trouble believing that her ex's Law Firm won that contract on past performance, one of the partners was dumb enough to marry THAT!!!!?????....WOW!!!!!!!
Hey, he was smart enough to divorce her!
Old 11-30-2012, 03:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
That sneer? I thought that was her smile. She seems to have that same look in every photo.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:28 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Hey, he was smart enough to divorce her!
......that's true........
Old 11-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Banned

This morning I went to the PC MP breakfast they hold every month. It was interesting to hear how they have to work with each province's government. It seemed by the way the comment was said, that they do not like Redford much.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
This morning I went to the PC MP breakfast they hold every month. It was interesting to hear how they have to work with each province's government. It seemed by the way the comment was said, that they do not like Redford much.
LOL No kidding. Harper's gang clearly worked for WR last time around. That's no secret. Just recently the Alberta Tories changed their voting rules so that Federal MP's would still get a convention vote, but not all the federal Conservative riding associations. No point in allowing members of a federal party that supports your opponent to vote in your convention.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:24 PM

The awarding of the contract to her ex is is one thing, may not be illegal or under the current rules a conflict of interest, a violation....but only by a slim margin....so that aside its her current statements (or shall I say, lies) to the legislature and indirectly the taxpayers of Alberta.

She stated she did not choose or award the contract, but that has been proven to be a lie. Now she is dancing on another technicality or play on words....that she did not SIGN the contract.....but we are not simpletons to not be able to differentiate between the selection and the contract signing.

Here's an analogy for you Okie. If you talk to bunch of women that are interested in you ( I know it's farfetched, but play along), select one, date her, propose to her and the minister conducts your ceremony, pronouces you man and wife, signs your marriage Licence, do you then claim to have not selected your wife and had no influence in the choice???

The boldfaced lies.....using the signing of contracts as a wiggling wormy loophole to try to deny that she made the decision.....we didnt ask who signed the contracts.........it was who chose the winning firm.....quit squirming.....your only digging your worm hole deeper.

Last edited by BlackHeart; 11-30-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
The awarding of the contract to her ex is is one thing, may not be illegal or under the current rules a conflict of interest, a violation....but only by a slim margin....so that aside its her current statements (or shall I say, lies) to the legislature and indirectly the taxpayers of Alberta.

She stated she did not choose or award the contract, but that has been proven to be a lie. Now she is dancing on another technicality or play on words....that she did not SIGN the contract.....but we are not simpletons to not be able to differentiate between the selection and the contract signing.

Here's an analogy for you Okie. If you select a women, date her, propose to her and the minister signs your marriage Licence, do you then claim to have not selected your wife and had no influence in the choice???

The boldfaced lies.....using the signing of contracts as a wiggling wormy loophole to try to deny that she made the decision.....we didnt ask who signed the contracts.........it was who chose the winning firm.....quit squirming.....your only digging your hole deeper.
I'd settle for a balanced budget, without the "reinterpretation" of what are operating .vs. capital budget items.

....and I want a pony.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
I'd settle for a balanced budget, without the "reinterpretation" of what are operating .vs. capital budget items.

....and I want a pony.
You now have one.....ingnore the extra big ears and braying....it still has the face of a horse. Close enough!!
Old 11-30-2012, 04:36 PM
Banned

Quote:

Here's an analogy for you Okie. If you talk to bunch of women that are interested in you ( I know it's farfetched, but play along), select one, date her, propose to her and the minister conducts your ceremony, pronouces you man and wife, signs your marriage Licence, do you then claim to have not selected your wife and had no influence in the choice???

The boldfaced lies.....using the signing of contracts as a wiggling wormy loophole to try to deny that she made the decision.....we didnt ask who signed the contracts.........it was who chose the winning firm.....quit squirming.....your only digging your worm hole deeper.
Okie, this post nails it as to what the issues are. And it is the way us severely normal Albertan's see it.

Please don't tell us you can't see through the baffle gab that Redford and crew are throwing out?
Old 11-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
You now have one.....ingnore the extra big ears and braying....it still has the face of a horse. Close enough!!
OK Blackheart... you know the routine!

You make me snort liquid on my screen, you owe me for a new one.
Closed Thread