Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
No need to take offence, it wasn't meant to be offensive, It shouldn't matter that volunter firefighters at least where I grew up have a fairly large liquor selection in the firehall. I have a lot of friends and family that are volunteer firefighters, been to a few good parties. Prior to cell phones in small towns the fire phone was often located in the bar. One of the perks for the important work they do.
No booze in any of the fire halls i have been to and I am related to several fire fighters who do not drink at all.

And yes, I did take offence to that remark for obvious reasons .
Cat
Old 12-01-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
No booze in any of the fire halls i have been to and I am related to several fire fighters who do not drink at all.

And yes, I did take offence to that remark for obvious reasons .
Cat
Do they have trouble getting volunteers.....kidding
If your in the camp where you believe one drink you should not be allowed to drive then ya I see how you can take offence. I'm in the camp where one drink is no big deal so I don't see it as offensive. I come from a town of 200 people, likely larger centers are booze free, I don't know and don't care.
The government is treating the people poorly by punishing them for things not based on facts or science. It seems we have no shortage of people here willing to give up more liberties for another feel good measure.

Last edited by chasingtail; 12-01-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
What are you really against? Having a drink and then driving? Or being drunk or impaired and then driving? There's a difference

You want to make something illegal or further take away rights (having a drink) because it MIGHT lead to something else that would be illegal (being drunk while driving, causing an accident, etc). The answer is simple. Harshly punish those who abuse a right, not those who are responsible. There has been no evidence presented to show that .051 alcohol level causes fatal accidents.
I am against drinking and driving, yes there is a difference and I understand that. But at the end of the day, the message is pretty clear DON'T drink and drive.
Sounds like me Oko, that you are saying punish the people that abuse a right but lets reward the others who are responsible and only drink a beer or two or maybe some wine? They have every right to be on the road?

It dont much matter what evidence there is to show the .051 alcohol causes fatal accidents. What matters is how alcohol affects people and sounds like to me, in this day and age more and more people dont want or dont accept drinking and driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
absolutely but you want to know other rights?
Seeing how you have such easy access to stats and rights, how about you dig up this little tidbit for me, how many accidents have been caused by drivers that are .050 to .080 and/or claim to only have had one or two beers?

section 8. Everyone has the right to be secure against unreasonable search or seizure.
agreed
tell me how taking someone's vehicle without charging them with a crime is not seizure?
I agree sounds like a seizure

section 10. Everyone has the right on arrest or detention
a) to be informed promptly of the reasons therefor;
b) to retain and instruct counsel without delay and to be informed of that right; and
c) to have the validity of the detention determined by way of habeas corpus and to be released if the detention is not lawful.

how does one get a lawyer on the side of the road after the cops have taken the car already?
How does one get a lawyer on scene to defend your rights, while you have abused your privliges? not sure, my advice would be play it smart dont drink and drive.

Section 11(d) Any person charged with an offence has the right ...
(d) to be presumed innocent until proven guilty according to law in a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal;

innocent til proiven guilty means in a court of law, not a roadside stop by police.
I agree again, I have been in the position of being treated as guilty when I wasn't, not alot of fun and I wish that kind of treatment would not happen

there are a few more that can be used but these are the main ones.
driving is not a right but these are.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
No need to take offence, it wasn't meant to be offensive, It shouldn't matter that volunter firefighters at least where I grew up have a fairly large liquor selection in the firehall. I have a lot of friends and family that are volunteer firefighters, been to a few good parties. Prior to cell phones in small towns the fire phone was often located in the bar. One of the perks for the important work they do.
Yup that was about year what? 1990? or late 80's?

Time to get with the times.

I got no sympathy for you guys that want to have 1 or 2 drinks and get behind the wheel, roll through a checkstop and get a impaired with due justice and proper procedure I hope you will be punished with 1 year suspension.
Message is pretty clear and has been since I was a kid, DONT drink and drive.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:10 PM

What about DRUGS i bet people are just as impaired drinking as they are DRUGGED UP

.05 is nothing, that is not even a drink, what the hell, you are more likely to crash with kids yelling in the car then you are at a .05 blood alcohol level.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:12 PM

haha here we go,

What about them cabbies?

No one is safe on the roads with some of them, and they are 0.0 well other than the mouthwash early in the morning so maybe they are .04....
Old 12-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
What about DRUGS i bet people are just as impaired drinking as they are DRUGGED UP

.05 is nothing, that is not even a drink, what the hell, you are more likely to crash with kids yelling in the car then you are at a .05 blood alcohol level.
it's a made up law that makes politicans pat themselves on the back thinking they did something, im amazed about how many people who are willing to give up their rights for this stupid law that will do nothing, I guess the old saying is true "if you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything".
Old 12-01-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
it's a made up law that makes politicans pat themselves on the back thinking they did something, im amazed about how many people who are willing to give up their rights for this stupid law that will do nothing, I guess the old saying is true "if you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything".
x2,
Old 12-01-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Half the volunteer fire fighters or sitting around 0.5 on any given night.
how to word this without being sent to banned camp is difficult....

You are clueless.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-01-2011, 06:39 PM

Thinking that this new law is going to target DRUNK DRIVERS and solve the problem with people being DRUNK and getting behind the wheel and killing someone, you are very sadly mistaken.

Untill a new law is imposed I Demand a study be carried out to see if this law is actually going to solve the issue of DRUNK driving.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
Thinking that this new law is going to target DRUNK DRIVERS and solve the problem with people being DRUNK and getting behind the wheel and killing someone, you are very sadly mistaken.

Untill a new law is imposed I Demand a study be carried out to see if this law is actually going to solve the issue of DRUNK driving.
good luck with that, hope you have deep pockets.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:

There is a law that covers Impairment by drugs....

And 50 mg% is well over a beer in 95% of society....its closer to 3 beers for the majority of people...
Old 12-01-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post

And 50 mg% is well over a beer in 95% of society....its closer to 3 beers for the majority of people...
Agreed last time I was checked after a 6pack over a couple hours I blew .04. I don't see new legislation hurting husband and wife having a glass of wine over supper.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
how to word this without being sent to banned camp is difficult....

You are clueless.
I know your holier than thou, you hold your nose down to drinkers.
You realize 0.5 is one drink right. How many people have a glass of wine, a beer, scotch ect with dinner or after work, close to 50%? 30%?, probably 80% at least one day a week do. Now all these people can not drive in case of an emergency or any other reason. Maybe the government can make a law that your corvette is banned because its top speed is to dangerous and if someone somewhere is saved it's all worth it. Sheep Bah!
Old 12-01-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
You realize 0.5 is one drink right. How many people have a glass of wine, a beer, scotch ect with dinner or after work, close to 50%? 30%?, probably 80% at least one day a week do. Now all these people can not drive in case of an emergency or any other reason. Maybe the government can make a law that your corvette is banned because its top speed is to dangerous and if someone somewhere is saved it's all worth it. Sheep Bah!
do not bring our Vettes into this
Old 12-01-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I disagree .05 might be one drink 1 minute after consumption but I really doubt one drink.

As for ken I respect is right to opinion, let's face it booze isn't healthy physically, mentally, socially. I do how ever choose to drink. Iam that guy at the pub who has 2-3 coors light between after work. For me it's how I unwind before getting home.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
I disagree .05 might be one drink 1 minute after consumption but I really doubt one drink.

As for ken I respect is right to opinion, let's face it booze isn't healthy physically, mentally, socially. I do how ever choose to drink. Iam that guy at the pub who has 2-3 coors light between after work. For me it's how I unwind before getting home.
One Canadian beer 500ml 10% = .008
Old 12-01-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
I disagree .05 might be one drink 1 minute after consumption but I really doubt one drink. .
One of my drinks I would be, lol. I looked it up I would be good for 2 cheapo bar pours and would be fine. The new law does not really effect me, to busy to drink and I got a full time dd when I married. I don't like baseless laws or the government period.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:22 PM

If you would like to check how many drinks it takes until you are impaired according to the law here is the calculator

http://www.ou.edu/oupd/bac.htm
Old 12-01-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Hey you can take that holier than thou line and shove it as far as you can with both hands up the south end of your food pipe.

Uncalled for.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you would like to check how many drinks it takes until you are impaired according to the law here is the calculator

http://www.ou.edu/oupd/bac.htm
I tried it..........I'm 200lbs and it says that if I drink 5 beer in one hour my BAC is only .07!
That doesn't sound right to me.

*EDIT* I can drink an additional one beer per hour after the 5 the first hour and I will remain at a BAC of .07.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I tried it..........I'm 200lbs and it says that if I drink 5 beer in one hour my BAC is only .07!

*EDIT* I can drink an additional one beer per hour after the 5 the first hour and I will remain at a BAC of .07.
lol, yes, i think they fool people that was people think that when they drink 8 beers there safe, i think they do it in order to give more suspensions, fines, ect... to make more money for the greedy government.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Exactly, and I'd support it.
So if the experts showed that the new law changed "behaviors" that led to a 50% decrease in mortality...would you support the new law?
Old 12-01-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Do they have trouble getting volunteers.....kidding
If your in the camp where you believe one drink you should not be allowed to drive then ya I see how you can take offence. I'm in the camp where one drink is no big deal so I don't see it as offensive. I come from a town of 200 people, likely larger centers are booze free, I don't know and don't care.
The government is treating the people poorly by punishing them for things not based on facts or science. It seems we have no shortage of people here willing to give up more liberties for another feel good measure.
If it is alcohol that brings them to volunteer...that would be very, very surprising. Since I don't belong to a volunteer fire fighting team...I defer to other AOF members to confirm or deny this is true. Do they stock alcohol at a firehall?
Old 12-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Banned

Quote:

it does seem high but im sure the margin of error is put in there to be absolutely sure someone is impaired.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:

I tried it again............2 beer in one hour is a BAC of .04 and I can have one beer per hour after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
If it is alcohol that brings them to volunteer...that would be very, very surprising. Since I don't belong to a volunteer fire fighting team...I defer to other AOF members to confirm or deny this is true. Do they stock alcohol at a firehall?
In OUR county, it is absolutely prohibited to have alcohol on site, or to respond with any %bac.

You would have to be completely stupid to go on scene after drinking. Legalities would be insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post

It is interesting. I think this is one of the behavioral problems that leads to drunk driving related deaths. People taking a lazy approach to what is an impairment. Simply saying 3 drinks is ok...makes huge assumptions.

Have you eaten?

Have you exercised?

Are you tired?

What kind of metabolism do you have? Fast/slow? Don't know?

What is your weight?

How much do you normally drink?

How many drinks?

Doubles? Singles? With or without food?

Drinking fast?

Drinking slow?

Dancing?

How much did you drink in the last 15 minutes? Last hour?

When you drink...do you remember how many?

Do you guess how you feel...to yourself?

Are you a good judge of your own impairment?

Do you think at all when drinking?

Do you stop at one or just keep going hoping you know when to stop?

DO YOU EVEN CARE TO ASK YOURSELF THESE QUESTIONS?

WHEN YOU ARE DRINKING DO YOU CARE ABOUT OTHERS?

The new law stops the questions at...1 drink or don't drink...no guesses...no assumptions.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
it does seem high but im sure the margin of error is put in there to be absolutely sure someone is impaired.
According to that link I can pound back 5 beer in an hour and be .07..........That doesn't seem accurate to me at all.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
One Canadian beer 500ml 10% = .008
So which Canadian beer is 10%? Most seem to be 4% to 5%. As well, most bottles are around 350ml.