Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2011, 07:19 AM

I actually worked on a rig where the driller was building a bomb shelter on his farm in Southern Sask. This was only this past summer.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600twin View Post
I actually worked on a rig where the driller was building a bomb shelter on his farm in Southern Sask. This was only this past summer.

seems to me people are thinking seriouslyabout the future....

the way i look at it is

its better to be a year ahead than a day late when one considers any scenerio
Old 12-30-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
How much room does the 2 years worth of rations take up?
For my group, 2 years worth of food takes up most of a 16 foot sea container. We chose to go with a lot of dry foods (pastas, rice, dried beans, oatmeal, etc) because our storage isn't heated. Granted, our menu won't be the most exciting but we've got a fair variety of spices and vitamin supplements.
We don't have any stored water because we're right beside a river and there is also a good well. In addition, we have the materials for a still, the ability to make a charcoal water filter and chemicals for treating drinking water.

***A word of warning*** Even with a good still, if you don't do it right, water can still have chemical contaminants after being distilled.

P.S. What takes up the most room is the toilet paper, 1 roll per person per week for the adults. One every 2 weeks for the smaller kids.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:31 AM

Just jabbin at'cha killer, for being up 'til 4 am, again.

TBark
Old 12-30-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdone View Post
Now with the diesel shortage coming into effect, I wish I had started storing fuel much sooner! But now I'm paying for my mistake with much higher prices at the pump and possibly no access to fuel one day.

Does anyone have any ideas for storing fuel on the cheap?

Also, has anyone given any thought to diesel alternatives?
If you are running an alternate fuel, what are you running?
You can make bio diesel out of canola oil or waste cooking oil. There's no special system required. What you do, is add some methanol and sodium hydroxide to the oil and heat and stir the oil for 2 hours until it separates. Drain the dark stuff off of the bottom and keep the stuff on top. You can then spray fine mist onto the top of the bio diesel to get the methanol and sodium hydroxide out of it. Next you let the diesel sit for a couple day to let the water settle to the bottom, then drain the water out. From what I have read, people have to be very careful when making this stuff because of the use of methanol and they recommend that anyone makes this stuff outside in a well ventilated area. The downside though is that canola biodiesel will gell(lose flow) at -2, while biodiesel made from other oils will gell at higher temperatures.

For more info, here's the link to the website. http://www.make-biodiesel.org/Introduction/

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwood 456 View Post
You can make bio diesel out of canola oil or waste cooking oil. There's no special system required. What you do, is add some methanol and sodium hydroxide to the oil and heat and stir the oil for 2 hours until it separates. Drain the dark stuff off of the bottom and keep the stuff on top. You can then spray fine mist onto the top of the bio diesel to get the methanol and sodium hydroxide out of it. Next you let the diesel sit for a couple day to let the water settle to the bottom, then drain the water out. From what I have read, people have to be very careful when making this stuff because of the use of methanol and they recommend that anyone makes this stuff outside in a well ventilated area. The downside though is that canola biodiesel will gell(lose flow) at -2, while biodiesel made from other oils will gell at higher temperatures.

For more info, here's the link to the website. http://www.make-biodiesel.org/Introduction/
Thanks for the link! I will be looking more into it. There has to be some additive you could add to the mix to make it better suited for our Alberta climate......?
Then again if we face major solar activity and a possible EMP from our beloved sun......then our vehicles will be useless. Has anyone looked into alternative modes of transportation? ie: horses, bikes.....tank! Any other suggestions?
Old 12-30-2011, 05:21 PM

ponies are not affected by EMP burst unless they are under your hood
Old 12-30-2011, 05:24 PM

What are you guys doing for booze?
Old 12-30-2011, 05:24 PM
Banned

You know what gets under my skin -and I'm sure Harper will embrace it sooner than later- one of the points on the checklist to be considered a terrorist in the States is "Does the person have enough food for 7 days?",,,, WWWWTF, seven days? That means I've been a terrorist for the better part of my life.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
What are you guys doing for booze?
God Bless the Potato
Old 12-30-2011, 05:41 PM

So many people prepare for tinfoil **** and then can't cope when realistic things happen
Old 12-30-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the link! I will be looking more into it. There has to be some additive you could add to the mix to make it better suited for our Alberta climate......?
Then again if we face major solar activity and a possible EMP from our beloved sun......then our vehicles will be useless. Has anyone looked into alternative modes of transportation? ie: horses, bikes.....tank! Any other suggestions?
Yeah they have invented some additives to help slow the gelling down a fairly good amount. I remember they also sold some bio diesel antigell at Canadian Tire.

Heres a link to the different types of additives.
http://www.biodiesel-kits-online.com...l-antigel.html

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:17 AM

Very interesting read you guys. I wonder what would happen if all the trucks on the hiways stopped moving for a week or 2,, I think most citys including the ones here in alberta,, would come to a complete halt.Most people rely on the convience of going to the store and buying what they need for that day, there would be major issues with in the citys that we could not fathom in under 10 days, People have come to rely on the easy convience of everything available to them.. Stop the trucks for a week or better with all the supplies and Chit would hit the fan,

Stock up be prepared for any situation, anyone who is country raised should have some semblance of this ingrained in their mind from up bringing, however its getting further and further away in our lives that too many people take for granted. they expect to be able to go pick up what they need in short order. Take that away and see what happens.

Ive always been a prepper in life always be ready for tommorow and next month or the next year, because you just never know when the world will stop turning.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:17 AM

Default If the trucks stopped

What would happen if the trucks stopped for a week or two?
Personally, I think that once they started again there would be a marked increase in the number of preppers around the country.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazweiss View Post
What would happen if the trucks stopped for a week or two?
Personally, I think that once they started again there would be a marked increase in the number of preppers around the country.
Agreed. People will not realize all the opportunities they had to be better prepared for when SHTF until it happens. I'm sure when it all goes down I will look back and wish I had more preps.

Has this thread made any non preppers think a little more about how prepping can be beneficial to them and their families? Any changed minds?
Old 01-03-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerb View Post
I have a question. How do you prep for water. Most bottled water expire in 2 years. I find it highly wasteful to throw out a crap load of water and bottles every 2 years. Even some canned foods last less than 3 years.
this is what i was thinking about for water...

www.incaseof.ca/ Super tanker

I've kinda been thinking of doing some preparedness based on the ice storms in Quebec a few years ago.

My biggest concern would be loss of Heat due to loss of power and gas supply...power for the furnace, i could use a generator for that, but didn't the gas supply get cut as well?
Old 01-03-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewalker View Post
this is what i was thinking about for water...

www.incaseof.ca/ Super tanker

I've kinda been thinking of doing some preparedness based on the ice storms in Quebec a few years ago.

My biggest concern would be loss of Heat due to loss of power and gas supply...power for the furnace, i could use a generator for that, but didn't the gas supply get cut as well?
I've chosen not to store a lot of water. Instead, I learned about chemically treating water. I learned how to make a charcoal water filter. Last but not least, I learned how to make a still. I haven't assembled the still but I have all the parts ready.

For heat in an emergency you can try propane or kerosene space heaters. Keep in mind ventilation concerns and include a carbon monoxide detector with your heater.
Years ago I lived in southern B.C. The house I lived in had the perfect setup for heating. The owners had installed a new combination furnace. It used wood heat and natural gas. As long as I kept the wood burner fueled, the natural gas never kicked in. I lived in the house for 3 years and the only natural gas I used was for cooking.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post
So many people prepare for tinfoil **** and then can't cope when realistic things happen
I agree....
Old 01-03-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
I agree....
drake, to quote your tag "mo money, less problems". Now, just a question for you... what would you do if you didn't have a job and had no money coming into the house?
Old 01-03-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I've chosen not to store a lot of water. Instead, I learned about chemically treating water. I learned how to make a charcoal water filter. Last but not least, I learned how to make a still. I haven't assembled the still but I have all the parts ready.

For heat in an emergency you can try propane or kerosene space heaters. Keep in mind ventilation concerns and include a carbon monoxide detector with your heater.
Years ago I lived in southern B.C. The house I lived in had the perfect setup for heating. The owners had installed a new combination furnace. It used wood heat and natural gas. As long as I kept the wood burner fueled, the natural gas never kicked in. I lived in the house for 3 years and the only natural gas I used was for cooking.
I thought of space heaters but am concerned with the CO...i guess cracking a few windows and a CO alarm would cover that...

As for the water storage i am not even close to a water supply nor one that
is not frozen. But in the summer and spring having a Berkey style would be a good idea...i'd need the Imperial one for the size of my family!

Cool idea about the combo furnace, never heard of them before...

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited by lakewalker; 01-03-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:07 PM

I'm prepared for an eternity all prepped up!My God reigns I have no fear!
Old 01-04-2012, 12:57 AM

No 'Groups' for me yet - seems all my friends are wearing blinders living on MASSIVE lines of credit.

I have one buddy who I hunt with that we see alot eye to eye on, but I need a better prepper network here in Calgary/surrounding.

Quote:
It's great to hear everyones opinions on this topic! I didn't think there would be as much positive response as there has been. Also this has turned out to be a great meeting thread for all us like minded types.

Question #1- for those of you who do prep, how many of you have "Groups" that you organize your preps with? Or will gather with should shtf?

#2- if it comes to "GOOD" (get out of dodge) without being too specific, where have you chosen to fall back to? And why?

All the best in the new year to y'all!
Old 01-04-2012, 03:46 PM

Answers for Gitrdone

Question #1 I did most of my own preps over the last few years. Two years ago I finally approached a few trusted friends and invited them to join me if TSHTF. They began their own food storage at my cabin and we have gone over our bugout and evac plans extensively. Everyone knows that if the time comes for a bugout, it's my call. Of course there is a chain of command in the event I'm unable to make that call.

Question #2 Several years ago, my wife and I purchased a property under her maiden name. It has a good well and a third of a mile of river front. We built a small (800 sq ft) cabin. The cabin is well hidden and defendable. I've put a lot of effort into alternative power, water treatment methods, extended food gathering and cultivation.

Hopefully we'll be okay.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Answers for Gitrdone

Question #1 I did most of my own preps over the last few years. Two years ago I finally approached a few trusted friends and invited them to join me if TSHTF. They began their own food storage at my cabin and we have gone over our bugout and evac plans extensively. Everyone knows that if the time comes for a bugout, it's my call. Of course there is a chain of command in the event I'm unable to make that call.

Question #2 Several years ago, my wife and I purchased a property under her maiden name. It has a good well and a third of a mile of river front. We built a small (800 sq ft) cabin. The cabin is well hidden and defendable. I've put a lot of effort into alternative power, water treatment methods, extended food gathering and cultivation.

Hopefully we'll be okay.
Hopefully you will be....

Whats the defintion of bugout?

How would you describe you cabin as being defendable, why the secrecy in purchasing land under your wife's maiden name?
Old 01-04-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Answers for Gitrdone

Hopefully we'll be okay.
Sounds like you and your friends have a great plan! Wish I could get my friends on board like that.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:48 PM

I find the biggest challenge is finding a perfect BO location. I have looked at a few potential places but none of them was perfect. Still looking.

As for water, every fall we move our 50-gallon rain barrel into our basement where we store water for washing and cleaning. For drinking water I have made a ceramic candle water filter for home use. It's gravity drip so it's very slow but I figure that should filter enough for just the three of us. We have some bottled water for our 72-hour kits. In case we have to leave town quickly, we also have Aquatabs for short term emergency. But for long term the filter is necessary. We have small streams near by and of course the Bow River is just minutes away. Water supply will not likely be a problem for us.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Hopefully you will be....

Whats the defintion of bugout?

How would you describe you cabin as being defendable, why the secrecy in purchasing land under your wife's maiden name?
Bugout -- Get Out Of Dodge, Leave town real quick, time to scram.

Defendable -- On one side, predators would be skylined and on the other they would have a 30 foot cliff to climb. Shooting positions with interlocking arcs of fire. Obstacles set to funnel predators into kill zones. Sniper positions set up for overwatch.

Land title -- If you're looking for me under my family name you can't use county land title records to do so. Just to make it a little more difficult for predators. A very small precaution but it didn't cost anything so why not.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Bugout -- Get Out Of Dodge, Leave town real quick, time to scram.

Defendable -- On one side, predators would be skylined and on the other they would have a 30 foot cliff to climb. Shooting positions with interlocking arcs of fire. Obstacles set to funnel predators into kill zones. Sniper positions set up for overwatch.

Land title -- If you're looking for me under my family name you can't use county land title records to do so. Just to make it a little more difficult for predators. A very small precaution but it didn't cost anything so why not.
Have you seen zombieland?
Old 01-05-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Have you seen zombieland?
Nope. But I have seen what happens when economies go bust, civil disorder and riots in Greece, Spain and Portugal come to mind. For those who think it could never happen here, maybe you should call your local news station and get them to replay the aftermath of a certain hockey game in Vancouver. That one they did just for fun. Makes you wonder what people would do if they got hungry, desperate and angry. It'll be great if nothing like that ever happens here but how does the saying go, oh yeah, (Hope for the best but prepare for the worst).
Old 01-05-2012, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you and your friends have a great plan! Wish I could get my friends on board like that.
NO you don't keep your plans to your self as the saying goes it is a wise man that holds his own council. the minnit that you got friends they all have diffrent Ideas that they want to put in place even if they make little sence. and there always seems to be one that scams the rest.