Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2011, 08:13 PM

Default gitrdones gitinrdone

way to go man !!! dont let the ney sayers get ya down ... been prepping for some time myself .. read lots of survival blogs including survialblog.com..... some you take with a hand full of salt never mind a grain lol but some of the info you would have to be brain dead not to find interesting ....

check out the survivalblog specially the economics and the odds and sods part... like i always say, take what is of interest to you and leave the rest .. some times the site can be a little goddy but to each there own ... there is a great search engine for the site .. try home canning food and see what you get .. and sure there is alot of teotwawki but doent hurt to read some of it ..... as to running scared ? lmao.... well might be a prudant idea for some city folk

again to each there own .. heres a thought .. do you check oil in your rides or equiptment? make sure there is water in the rads ..or antifreeze .. or do you take for granted everything is good and cant figure out what happened when there is a break down ..lol not much differance if you ask me .. simply prepping in case .....(mmm dr prepper)no use knocking a man or woman for simply wanting take care of there own.. kind foolish just like the smilie lol lol

bandaids bullets and beans bro ...
Old 12-10-2011, 05:35 AM

I guess it all depends on what your getting prepared for dooms day or afew weeks for a natural disaster but what ever it is drinking water will be #1 thing that will be of concern. so lean the principles of how a still works then you have the knowledge of how to purify most water. stored water can get stale, mind you better than no water. remember that knowledge is power and the ones with the knowledge are the one that will have it the easiest as they will know what needs to be done and how to go about it.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:04 AM

Remember Y2K?
The preppers sure made it cheap to buy second hand generators after the crisis that never happened passed.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:46 PM

Default Calling all preppers!

Calling all Preppers...This was the original thread posted months ago, a common sense topic notably for a forum representing the 'Alberta Outdoorsmen'.

On a whole, lots of good comments, or what I call, just plain...common sense. Why some people leave negative responses is just beyond me.
Nothing intelligent to say, don't.

Prepping at one time was in the blood of every pioneer that settled this land,
or should I say, the ones that survived. Modern day prepping is not as hard as it was years ago. It doesn't mean that we should all adapt our lives to people like Dick Proeneke although he was quite a master (for those who don't know check out: DickProenneke.com ) very cool.

What first attracted me to Alberta Outdoorsman was the expectation of a commonality of a bunch of people 'knowing' how to survive when the s**t hits the fan. Hunting-gathering is just one component of an outdoorsmen also knowing how to store and preserve meats is another skill that was once common knowledge.

I have been honing these skills for many years as well as others, knowing how to process your own meat and preserve it is not only a very fun pastime
it is a skill that I would consider crucial as an 'outdoorsmen'.
An awesome reference by whome I consider one of the masters is Stanley Marianski, incredible resource of old world and new technolgy systems of preserving meats. www.wedlinydomowe.com

A gal in the US who has a really neat site and could be considered a prepper
and I know would click with many people on this forum is: http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
very good site!

If just learning about prepping it can be very overwhelming just getting your head around how dependant we as a soceity have become on modern conveniences. How many understand what an EMP is? We are going through some very incredible earth changes right now, This is quite normal, it just raises hell with people, places or things. Understanding and being educated is the most important part of prepping. A general in the us military was recently interviewed and he expressed that an electrical magnetic pulse or emp poses more of a risk right know to the earth than just about anything else. It would cripple the north american electrical grid if a coronal mass ejection from an X class solar flare impacted the earth. NASA has been warning people of this for years. No power no communications, no light, no refrigeration, no gas pumping, etc, etc.

This isn't paranoia its common sense. The sun is going through an incredibly violent solar maximum peaking in the 'months' to come.
As one educates themselves more about self-sufficiency or 'prepping' and what is happening globaly you will discover that living in the city is probably the worst place to be.

If your a serious Outdoorsmen, prepping comes naturally and goes back to the old Boy Scout motto: BE PREPARED.

Not being prepared could not only create hardships, it could cost you your life, its a simple choice.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:17 PM

very well said longviews......very well said

http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=370917

Gingrich's statements in EMP .... perhaps a little research before some folks post negatively.... just my 2 cents

thanks for the thread gitrdone
Old 12-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Banned

Well said Longview
It all boils down to pure common sense.And being lucky enough to live in a house that can get by on just wood for months if need be.The creeks just down the road,the old lady is strong,we have 2 buckets.I was going to teach her to shoot but I realized that might screw up the water delivery.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdone View Post
If your interested in sharing ideas on prepping or survival techniques and so on.
It is interesting to note for all the people that think they are going to run off to the bush and survive in times of crisis, wartime or disaster.... If you are an urban person you will have to remain in the city. All roads will be under lock down by military and police. People's movements will be restricted.

Food and water could be rationed so these are things to 'stockpile'. Dry goods have long shelf life. Canned goods only keep 2 years safely so stockpiling these may be a waste unless you re-new your supply every 2 years. A good investment would be a water purifier. A good hand held unit for 200 or less will give you thousands of liters of clean water.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:54 PM

There is a 12 book series of soft cover books called "Foxfire". These books have lots of good info on the old ways of living. They are based on knowledge of pioneers.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:59 PM

I have lots of guns and bullets, theres lots of animals in the bush to keep the family fed.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:49 PM

Default Stuck in the city

[QUOTE=Red Bullets;1201274]It is interesting to note for all the people that think they are going to run off to the bush and survive in times of crisis, wartime or disaster.... If you are an urban person you will have to remain in the city. All roads will be under lock down by military and police. People's movements will be restricted.

Remain in the city. Not likely. Being an ex-soldier trained in "sneak & peak", I have no intention of staying in the city if TSHTF. Together with some very carefully picked people, we have a plan for a vehicle convoy out. Failing that, we have a plan and a route for getting out on foot.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:36 PM

Tazweiss...

if you are an ex- soldier you will probably be called to duty if TSHTF.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:53 AM

Actually, if the government does start to recall ex-soldiers they always start with those who have most recently left the service and work their way down. By the time my name came up, I'd be long gone. Also, I have just reached that age where I am no longer eligible for recall.
The Last Post was purchased under my wifes maiden name. The powers that be wouldn't be able to find me before they went under. Like I said, I've done a lot of planning and preparation.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger1022 View Post
My mistake, the world is full of rainbows and lollipops!! Nothing can ever happen!
Phew! I was getting worried there! Lol...
Old 12-29-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdone View Post
Does anyone have any experience with solar and or wind power? I would like to run one or both of them. Also has anyone had experience with any good Alberta or Canadian companies that supply this?

If I'm able to afford this (probably not) this would be a great prep.

What would you say is your best prep so far?
We offer this to our customers. Unfortunately, it is not cost effective at all... Based on today's fuel prices it can take upwards of 25 years to cover the cost of equipment and initial setup. These systems would only supplement your electrical and hot water needs too. You could get the little cels from Canadian tire or Costco, and it would give you minimal electrical power, but it takes a LOT of sun power to replace grid electricity and gas...

You can always try the electrodes in the lemon technique!
Old 12-29-2011, 03:01 PM

Cool Brink of catastrophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
When we run out of oil or there is no use for it, and other natural resources then I will be concerned.
Where to start?
The European economy is close to collapse (Can you say
civil disorder or war)
The U.S. economy is close to collapse (Can you say civil
disorder or war)
The WHO and several world governments are almost in a
panic over getting ready for the next flu pandemic.
A moderate flu pandemic (Infecting 200 million or more)
would likely devastate civilization (not my words). This is
based on an estimated mortality rate of 3% (the avian flu
had a mortality rate of 67%).
In 2011, natural disasters broke over 3000 records world
wide.
NASA is warning that the current sunspot cycle with solar
flares and CME's could wipe out almost all of our modern
technology (no more laptops or cellphones, etc.)
In the last 100 years, the CO2 in our atmosphere has
increased by 30%.
Those are just a few of the credible threats facing the world right now, so you just go ahead and keep your head in the sand. As for me, I'll keep on preparing.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:10 PM

I have a video of outdoor survival going up on YouTube and CGN at the end of
February.

There is nothing wrong with prepping, but appropriate prepping needs to be the focus.

The realities of where you live should determine your prepping focus.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazweiss View Post
In the last 100 years, the CO2 in our atmosphere has increased by 30%.
Believe it or not, I was nodding along as I read until you threw credibility out the window with this!
Old 12-29-2011, 05:48 PM

Default TFH vs Pollyanna

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li0no...e_gdata_player

As always, methinks the truth lies somewhere between the TinFoilHatters(TFHs)
And the evangelical skeptics.

Always give yourself a way out...

There is no denying that a significant CME or islamo-nukes in a dozen big citys could send us strait to Cormac Mcarthy's "The Road".
We we see it? Whos to say.

It's never been about the Earth. It's always been about power. Limit the resources, decree that limited resources must be state controlled - power.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Believe it or not, I was nodding along as I read until you threw credibility out the window with this!
Actually the 30% figure I got from the Discovery channel on one of their documentaries. Even if it's way off, there are still a lot of credible threats out there. I think I'll still keep prepping.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:11 AM

It's great to hear everyones opinions on this topic! I didn't think there would be as much positive response as there has been. Also this has turned out to be a great meeting thread for all us like minded types.

Question #1- for those of you who do prep, how many of you have "Groups" that you organize your preps with? Or will gather with should shtf?

#2- if it comes to "GOOD" (get out of dodge) without being too specific, where have you chosen to fall back to? And why?

All the best in the new year to y'all!
Old 12-30-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Where to start?
The European economy is close to collapse (Can you say
civil disorder or war)
The U.S. economy is close to collapse (Can you say civil
disorder or war)
The WHO and several world governments are almost in a
panic over getting ready for the next flu pandemic.
A moderate flu pandemic (Infecting 200 million or more)
would likely devastate civilization (not my words). This is
based on an estimated mortality rate of 3% (the avian flu
had a mortality rate of 67%).
In 2011, natural disasters broke over 3000 records world
wide.
NASA is warning that the current sunspot cycle with solar
flares and CME's could wipe out almost all of our modern
technology (no more laptops or cellphones, etc.)
In the last 100 years, the CO2 in our atmosphere has
increased by 30%.
Those are just a few of the credible threats facing the world right now, so you just go ahead and keep your head in the sand. As for me, I'll keep on preparing.
So your 2 month rations of canned goods and rain barrels are going to save you from this?

My head will remain in the sand until AB has no more dragons to pull from the sand.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
So your 2 month rations of canned goods and rain barrels are going to save you from this?

My head will remain in the sand until AB has no more dragons to pull from the sand.
Actually, more like 2 years worth. All of the seeds and tools for a large garden. A good knowledge of wilderness survival. Those, together with my trusted group who have also been prepping with me for a couple of years now. Even though nothing gives a 100% guarantee of success, sitting on my butt doing nothing CAN guarantee failure. I think that I'll keep prepping.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Actually, more like 2 years worth. All of the seeds and tools for a large garden. A good knowledge of wilderness survival. Those, together with my trusted group who have also been prepping with me for a couple of years now. Even though nothing gives a 100% guarantee of success, sitting on my butt doing nothing CAN guarantee failure. I think that I'll keep prepping.
How much room does the 2 years worth of rations take up?
Old 12-30-2011, 01:33 AM

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Last edited by Jwood 456; 12-30-2011 at 01:39 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
In 1989 I was living in a very bad part of San Francisco, and while watching the world series the earthquake hit, rather than detail that, there's a point of it more relative to your post; there was a blackout that followed and being a coastal city the sun sets without much twilight that we get here. Nobody were going back inside and most people were in the middle of making supper. As the night came on it became so dark out that headlights were put on for light, and then people started bringing out BBQ's and Hibachi's and that awful named neighborhood became a huge community, everybody were being fed and comforted and all the misery of what was before the quake went out the window. People shone through. A friend was in Thailand during the Tsunami, she said it was the same, very communal,, what my parents tell me of during the most miserable hell of WWII, and so on,,, which is contrary to what Hollywood portrays in a doomsday scenario "every man for himself" stock the ammo, they're a'comin.

I think about this often and my worry are those who wholeheartedly beleive that their neighbours could become treacherous. On the flip side -being that most of us haven't been through a massive demise of something- may actually embrace the opportunity to be truly civil,,, on a further hypothetical extreme, maybe the powers that be are a tad scared that we'll come to recognise that we've been governed for the most part under and emperor with no clothes dancing out a bizarre charade.

Back to the earthquake; headlights were turned off as candles lit the street, food was shared, it was a nice night, you could see the stars,,, however, there were those who expected the worse for that neighborhood and something more sinister was occuring in the dark. It was decided from afar that looting was probably happening and it best be that power be restored to that "bad" neighborhood first,, which it was, and clad in black, sporting semi-automatic rifles stood various policing units 50 feet apart, poised and ready, while thousands of people cooked a HUGE meal and sat in little groups eating burritos and re-fried beans, comforting stupid frost-backs (me), getting to know neighbours, laughing at stories of trying to get out of the shower-dressed-and-out, or being on the toilet while the earth shook. We didn't see them come. No looting ever occured. No crime happened that night or at least until things went back to normal and the earthquake became no more than yesterdays news.

Maybe we all need a good collapse to remember what we're all really capable of.

I'll shoot you a PM on some good off-the grid infrastructures.
Disasters can bring out the true nature of people. For many its good and for others its bad. Just look at the japan tsunami's.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:06 AM
Banned

I have a question. How do you prep for water. Most bottled water expire in 2 years. I find it highly wasteful to throw out a crap load of water and bottles every 2 years. Even some canned foods last less than 3 years.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:12 AM

Dump em out, refill them, good to go for 2 more years, ha.

TBark
Old 12-30-2011, 04:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Dump em out, refill them, good to go for 2 more years, ha.

TBark
Plastic water bottles degrade over time.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerb View Post
Plastic water bottles degrade over time.
the grocery stores do it all the time .. your wife does too. its called cycling your stuff .. older products in the front to be used first .. new stuff in the back of the shelf
Old 12-30-2011, 06:29 AM

Default history channel program

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r97xoSOEjM

history channel had a show called after armagedon ..
here is a link to part one of 9 segments on you tube ..

if so inclined take the time to watch them. very interesting and even a bit entertaining

watch them with an open mind or not ..lol

and then ask yourself what if?