Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-05-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy37 View Post
The two bones in the third pic look like the forearm (ulna) bones. Any sign that an animal dug them up?
Except for hoof prints in the mud I didn't see any sign of animals. If one did dig those up it could have been 40 years ago and someone long since filled in the hole.

Took quite a few pictures in that place; I like to see relics of people who came before. Some of the graves didn't even have markers, they were just rimmed with rocks and one their way to disappearing.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:56 PM

found some old TP rings, and what looked like the remains of of an axe head was very rusted, and a few hide scrapeing bones, also found an old steam engine tractor and a head saw,by an old saw mill site, asked soe of the old tiers they said that was just left there when the saw mill closed down,
Old 10-05-2011, 03:19 PM

I found 3 grouse one day on a trail....all cleaned with one wing on and nice and cool. Whoever dropped them I want to say thanks for dinner!

LC
Old 10-07-2011, 08:40 AM

A whole car in the middle of this creek. No roads close by or anything
Old 10-07-2011, 08:45 AM

Spend any time in the Newfoundland wilderness and you'll see alot of old school buses out there.

The govt tried to educate the animals back in the 60s but they failed
Old 10-09-2011, 07:13 PM

Found a bunch of arrowheads, scrapers and a club head and some TP rings in the Three Hills area. A number four leghold with a wolf toe bone still in it, some old pack boxes with old cooking gear still in it both in the Cadomin area. Near Telegraph Creek B.C. a Rubarb patch along the Barrington River miles from anything. Must have been a cabin there at one time during gold rush days. Also in the same country some unmarked graves, a couple small gold nuggets in a sluice box and we also found a 30-30 bullet healed over in black bear we were skinning. Quite a while ago we followed a set of Sasquatch tracks in a couple of inches of melting snow that had a large grizzly at the end of them!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2011, 10:02 PM

I just found this on Friday and I thought to myself "that's one lousy fence builder". Then I saw the number tag and it all made sense. What I did wonder about is exactly how many trees are wired and what do they use to attrack the bears to rub on them. I did find 3 others but not this close to a well used trail.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:16 PM

Nice, I've seen lots of surveyor's tags out in the bush, but never anything like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceba View Post
I just found this on Friday and I thought to myself "that's one lousy fence builder". Then I saw the number tag and it all made sense. What I did wonder about is exactly how many trees are wired and what do they use to attrack the bears to rub on them. I did find 3 others but not this close to a well used trail.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:23 PM

A friend of mine was up high on a mountain top a couple weeks ago and sat down to do some glassing when he spotted this lens on the ground beside him. It was quite a setup in it's day. 35mm from the late 80's to early 90's I'd say. I have an old Olympus body still and I'm going to run a film through just to see how well it survived.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceba View Post
A friend of mine was up high on a mountain top a couple weeks ago and sat down to do some glassing when he spotted this lens on the ground beside him. It was quite a setup in it's day. 35mm from the late 80's to early 90's I'd say. I have an old Olympus body still and I'm going to run a film through just to see how well it survived.

Oh cool find, probably been up there on the mountain for ages
Old 10-09-2011, 11:16 PM

I found an un opened bottle of Cognac under a log where we were camped while canoeing the NSR quite a few years back.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I found an un opened bottle of Cognac under a log where we were camped while canoeing the NSR quite a few years back.
THATS where I left that.

Being and honest guy...it's still unopened...right?
Old 10-10-2011, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
THATS where I left that.

Being and honest guy...it's still unopened...right?
Old 10-10-2011, 12:39 AM

Ive found a bunch of stuff in the wilderness. Near edson while I was out for a walk in the bush I found an unopened can of sunrype fruit punch, I opened it up and poured it out to see that it was just like juice, but had a few chunks in it. Probly would have had some alcohol content. Had to have been from the 1970's by the design of it, the side that was in the ground was clear as a whistle.

While up near wapau lake, north of lac la biche, came across an old trapping/hunting camp that was burnt to a crisp, the bed springs and other metal stuff was still there.

Ive found a cell phone and an iphone while walking in the ditchs along the highway, took it home, plugged the iphone in, and ill be damned, it worked. I looked under stats on the menu and the last charge date was august 14, 2009. I found it in june. It had an otter box case, and i sold it to buckhunter 66. Hes still using it and it works like a charm.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Nuts... happens every time.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:40 PM

Found this the other day. Not much left, but I finally figured it to be a 1945 Ford.
Anyone need a banjo rear axel?

Old 05-10-2013, 10:35 PM

Default things found

lots and lots of teepee rings, indian trade beads, arrow heads, stone axe heads, hide scrapers, a sheep herders pocket watch, a whiskey still, and two whiskey caches, and the remains of a person carbon dated to 300 yrs by police. A RNWMP saddle, no.700, made in Calgary North West Territories, spent 45-75 nwmp casings, and spent 45 casings from the nwmp. and a doctors buggy made by McLaughlin Co. Oshawa Canada, long before there was a prov. of Ont. Lots of old homesteads, unmarked graves and old old horse drawn implements,
I spend a lot of time in the saddle, and have covered a lot of southern alberta, and it always amazes me just how much unfound stuff there is out there.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:04 PM

I am well and truly jealous of you saddleup. Happen to have any pics of some of that stuff?
Old 05-11-2013, 01:31 AM

While setting traps in heavy spruce in the 50's... what was left of a buckskin bag, sinew-tied pipe

Last edited by 6.5swedeforelk; 05-11-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:47 AM

Ya i have found some crazy stuff , but the most recent bizarre thing i saw while out shed hunting this Spring was a Raven carrying a fluorescent Orange ball , like the kind for Ball Hockey , in his beak . It was like he was a on a pout and was leaving and taking his ball with him back to his nest..
Old 05-11-2013, 06:24 AM

I saw a guy walking along pickiing up garbage and putting it in a bag that he carried. Oh wait! that was me lol. but it's true.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Not that I care, but what would the purpose of a condom on a cucumber be?
So you don't inadvertently make Tzatziki sauce!!!
Old 05-11-2013, 07:47 AM

Found an old bicycle frame while climbing Mount Romulus one time. Found old stoves, cream cans, early arrowheads made out of rock which is always neat to find. The weirdest however was a dumping ground of about 40 diapers just laying in the trees on my way up Mount Cornwall a few years back. Rather disgusting. I pick up every piece of garbage I see when out in the wilderness. Wasn't going to touch that. Calling it in was a more viable option.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:54 AM

While shed hunting on Thursday I found 2 old glass Pepsi bottles about 20 yards apart in some trees. Got home and looked on the net and found that by the logos that they are from the 1940's. Pretty cool.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot270 View Post
While shed hunting on Thursday I found 2 old glass Pepsi bottles about 20 yards apart in some trees. Got home and looked on the net and found that by the logos that they are from the 1940's. Pretty cool.
My father has a shed chocked full of bottles like the ones you found. Some older. He even has some unopened Labbatt beer with the short neck bottle on a shelf in there. Really cool indeed. Another thing that pops up is old glass medicine bottles. The bulk of this stuff is found while out shed hunting as well.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5swedeforelk View Post
While setting traps in heavy spruce in the 50's... what was left of a buckskin bag, sinew-tied pipe
Now that is cool!!!!!
Old 05-11-2013, 01:16 PM

While out hunting with my little guy, we found a big metal....thing??

Just after the big metal thing, we found a graveyard, and went to look at it, because it was a really weird spot... Found out it was a pet cemetary.

Wife's Grandpa found this on a river bank in the yukon during a sheep hunt. It has since taken some damage from them having 8 grandkids. Looks like some blood staining on it too, or something

Old 05-11-2013, 01:28 PM

That metal thing looks like a de-rocker or grizzly bars that I've seen on the gold mining shows.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
That metal thing looks like a de-rocker or grizzly bars that I've seen on the gold mining shows.
Could be... there is a mine about 30 km from there.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:42 PM

Years ago we were doing seismic exploration NE of Fort Nelson. We hit rock that was piled in a circle. It was hard to see cause everything was so overgrown but definatly man made. Going by memory I would say 20-30 foot diameter. We were told if ya hit something weird stop and report it. They brought in a expert from Vancouver. We went on to the next line and never herd nothing after that.

I found traps and stuff never took nothing it still lies there I suppose.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com