Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-18-2009, 01:16 PM

Default Prices....Doh!

I've been looking for my first rifle for a while and had pretty much decided that on my limited budget a Stevens 200 was the way to go. They were 309.00 at Wholesale a week ago and I just didnt make it there to buy one. Now 399.99!!! Gonna pick one up at PD for 369.99 before they go up there too. Guess I wont wait so long next time.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:41 PM

Hi Vamp have you considered looking at the savage 111fcxp3 package. I am actually going to pick one up for my wife for her first rifle. just a suggestion since a a scope is included and bore sighted already. Good luck with your purchase.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 03-18-2009, 04:14 PM

Yeah I looked at that one too, but they are up to 525 or so now. I was thinking of putting a 3x9x40 Bushnell Trophy on the Stevens and it would run about 500 for the package. I've heard the scopes the come with the Savage are not very good, is the Trophy an improvement?
Old 03-18-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamperio View Post
Yeah I looked at that one too, but they are up to 525 or so now. I was thinking of putting a 3x9x40 Bushnell Trophy on the Stevens and it would run about 500 for the package. I've heard the scopes the come with the Savage are not very good, is the Trophy an improvement?
Not that much of an improvement I suspect. A 3x9x40 Trophy is $140. I think a lot of guys here will tell you to save up another month or two and get something a little better. Not like you need to use the gun right now anyways. The difference between a $370 Stevens and another $600 rifle probably won't be that much. The difference between a $140 Trophy and a $340 Bushnell Elite 4200, for example, is likely a lot. A Leupold, some of the euro brands, etc. might be a bit of a stretch in your current situation, but I'd at least try for a good Bushnell. But don't take my word for it. Go to the store and try out all the different scopes.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:10 PM

[QUOTE=Okotokian;287456]I think a lot of guys here will tell you to save up another month or two and get something a little better.

The difference between a $370 Stevens and another $600 rifle probably won't be that much. The difference between a $140 Trophy and a $340 Bushnell Elite 4200, for example, is likely a lot. /QUOTE]

could we get an "AMEN!"
i couldnt agree more.

vamp,
maybe keep an eye out on the for sale forum here, you might snag a used chunk of glass for the same money too.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 03-18-2009, 10:49 PM

I think SIR still has the Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40 with rainguard on sale for $219. I picked one up a couple of weeks ago on my buddies recommendation.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:26 AM

Default Stevens

The P&D website says $440. Ouch, I shoulda bought one last year. Looking for a coyote killer. Thinking .223

Last edited by mac_xi@hotmail.com; 06-26-2009 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:35 AM

I ended up getting mine a couple months ago from Prophet River for $360 or so. Not sure what the prices are now though.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Stu Pedaso

WARNING: REALITY CHECK COMING

In the US everything firearms related has gone nuts, some of the gun shop shelves down their are bearer than ones up here.
The Canadian Dollar took a hit a while back.

And somehow you fellows are suprised to find prices going up.

Yes you should have bought it back then.

If you wait another month do you think things will get magically cheaper.

It's time to get off of the pot and get what you want.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:49 PM

Going by that logic when the canadian dollar was at or near par and there were no shortages in the states the prices should have dropped... Since they didn't drop then why should we be forced to take it now??

How is the steven's shooting I was thinking of getting for a cheap ranch rifle, maybe an 06 with a 3-9 bushnell 3200.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:51 PM

I havent had much time to try it out yet, but so far so good!
Old 06-26-2009, 04:11 PM

Just got the SIR Cabelas flier a few days ago. Lot's of good deals in there. Might not hurt to check it out.
Grizz
Old 07-09-2009, 04:28 PM

I was shocked at the new prices for everything at first. I was also on the market for my first rifle. I ended up scouring the second-hand exchanges here and at CGN, which is where I finally got my gun. But the price of ammo still brings a tear to my eye.

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Pedaso View Post
WARNING: REALITY CHECK COMING

In the US everything firearms related has gone nuts, some of the gun shop shelves down their are bearer than ones up here.
The Canadian Dollar took a hit a while back.

And somehow you fellows are suprised to find prices going up.

Yes you should have bought it back then.

If you wait another month do you think things will get magically cheaper.

It's time to get off of the pot and get what you want.
...$ at 0.88 , economy down there in the tank, so raise their prices??????...doesn't make sense....
Old 07-09-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamperio View Post
I ended up getting mine a couple months ago from Prophet River for $360 or so. Not sure what the prices are now though.
i was over thee yesterday. They still had some 200's in 30/06 for 349 and they had Leupold scopes VX-I's 3-9X40mm on for $274. Be a good starter package? I bought a scope for another rifle but don't need the 30/06.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
...$ at 0.88 , economy down there in the tank, so raise their prices??????...doesn't make sense....
They raise their prices and they still have product flying off the shelves.

It defies logic, but it's happening.

I think the only sector of the US manufacturing industry not hurting in this economic down turn is the ammunition manufacturers.

You cant apply too much logical thinking to what makes people act in almost mass hysteria, and from what I'm gathering from folks in the US, it's almost to that point.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-10-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
They raise their prices and they still have product flying off the shelves.

It defies logic, but it's happening.
Democrat in power = gun control = buy em' while ya can

Gun prices have been on the rise for quite awhile down there.

tm