Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-07-2009, 06:11 PM

Question I need a new rifle

Have been considering the new Ruger chambered in 375 African. Does anyone have any experience with this weapon? If so How do you like it, how accurate is it, how is the balance? Was also wondering about reloading this round. Does anyone have a pet loads that could be recommended? I do not think that this load is in too many reloading manuals as it is a new offering. Have thought that I would like to mount a Leupold long range 4.5X14-50MM with AO on top. The 375 African will complete my caliber line up for any game in north America.

Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eglesnester
Old 07-07-2009, 06:26 PM

Double tap

There are no absolutes
Old 07-07-2009, 06:28 PM

I hope you mean a Ruger 77 African, chambered in 375Ruger?

I think you better take a look at the 375 Ruger ballistics and realize perhaps your choice of optics may be a bit on the over blown side.

Most folks scope 375's with stuff like 1-4, 1-5, 1.5-6, maybe up to 2-7 or 2.5-8.

The 375 is no trajectory wonder, and all that magnification is pretty lost because of it.

Another thing you may wish to consider is the need for a 50mm objective lens, the 375 will kick and with some folks pulling your head off the stock enhances the effects of the recoil. Keeping your cheek low and fixed to the comb may make the recoil a bit more tollerable.

After all my thoughts and opinions on this, there is always the no right or wrong aspect of the shooting sports.

Have fun, and let us know how it turns out.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-08-2009, 12:00 AM

Default Scope for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I think you better take a look at the 375 Ruger ballistics and realize perhaps your choice of optics may be a bit on the over blown side.

Most folks scope 375's with stuff like 1-4, 1-5, 1.5-6, maybe up to 2-7 or 2.5-8.
Sorry Dick284 this is my first attemt at quoting-

I own one of them Ruger M77 Hawkeye "African" version in 375 Ruger. I reload and with 300gr hornady round nose I've safely acheived ~2650 fps book velocity (according to the Hogdon manual); though I have to shoot it through a crony to confirm.

The open sights on my rifle are very crisp and pick up very quickly.

You might want to shoulder one and see how the sights are before you think about scoping it with a tactical scope; besauce as Dick284 said, the higher magnifications are really unnecessary.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:24 AM

I agree with Dick's suggestions for scopes. Also, very few people can justify the need for 50mm objectives.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:46 AM

Yip gotta agree on the scope part. By the time you mount a 50mil scope on high high high rings, you won't end up with a cheek weld, it becomes a wobly chin weld.

People seem to think that they need big objectives on their scope, but from what I understand it's illeagal to hunt in the dark, which is where the large objective would help. Euro's are allowed to hunt at night so there, the large objective scopes might be of value. I see that Leupold has a wrap-around the rifle kinda scope in 50mm. Looks like the perfect answer(tongue in cheek), if someone absolutly has to have the large obj.
From the scopes Dick284 listed, I would kinda lean 2-7, but thats just me.

Other than that sounds like fun. Everybody needs a boomer.