Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-02-2009, 09:00 PM

Default Hard and honest use rifles

Anyone want to share pictures of any well cared for but hard used rifles? I'll start with my dad's 700 ADL 7mm Remington Magnum. The only rifle he used for the better part of 30 years. Notice the bolt handle.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:28 AM

Chuck,

Great thread!!

When I get back up to Calgary I'll get some shots of my dads Ruger 77 in 7 X 57 Mauser. He hunted with only that rifle for 25-30 years and it shows much the same wear as your dad's does.
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 07-03-2009, 01:23 AM
Banned

This pre 64 winchester 30-06 was purchased in the late 30's as close as we can tell. It has a big history in the caroline area as it was owned by the late George Bugbee and is the rifle used to kill one of if not the biggest grizzlies in canada. Had he not shot the bear while guiding a hunter it would have been high in the books. Unknown where this bear is at now. Ill see if I can dig up the pic. The bear was shot in the limestone area. The engraving was added later one by myself.

DSCF0422.JPG

DSCF0428.JPG

Me with the old '06'
DSCF0432.JPG
Old 07-03-2009, 06:51 AM
Banned

I have had several just like that old gem of an '.06 and packed them many long miles in the bush when working. They are heavy, but, they ALWAYS work and last like few other rifles.

I had 36 P-64s, sold off most of them and now only have 10, but, my buddy has several which he thinks I "need" and soooooo.....I "might" get another or two or......

Good thread, I will see if I can figure out this camera and other gizmo that my CEO has and add a few of my rifles.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:53 AM
Banned

I cannot tell for sure, but, looking at the bolt handle and safety, which "could" be an aftermarket Tilden or even Winchester factory, that rifle was built circa 1947-49. If, you post the serial number I can tell for sure.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:01 AM

Might it be on the wrong side for Chuck.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:14 PM

[QUOTE=sheepguide;344487]This pre 64 winchester 30-06 was purchased in the late 30's as close as we can tell. It has a big history in the caroline area as it was owned by the late George Bugbee and is the rifle used to kill one of if not the biggest grizzlies in canada. Had he not shot the bear while guiding a hunter it would have been high in the books. Unknown where this bear is at now. Ill see if I can dig up the pic. The bear was shot in the limestone area. The engraving was added later one by myself.

Wasn't there a picture of this bear in the Mountainaire Lodge before it burnt down?
Old 07-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=flipper62;345333]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
This pre 64 winchester 30-06 was purchased in the late 30's as close as we can tell. It has a big history in the caroline area as it was owned by the late George Bugbee and is the rifle used to kill one of if not the biggest grizzlies in canada. Had he not shot the bear while guiding a hunter it would have been high in the books. Unknown where this bear is at now. Ill see if I can dig up the pic. The bear was shot in the limestone area. The engraving was added later one by myself.

Wasn't there a picture of this bear in the Mountainaire Lodge before it burnt down?
Ya there was one there and is also a copy of a news paper article with the pic in the Boundry Store and Cafe west of Caroline
Old 07-05-2009, 05:03 PM

Another rifle of a friend. A 300 Winchester Magnum that has literally hunted around the world and taken game from Coues Deer to Cape Buffalo.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 07-05-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Banned

I think I know that guy, Chuck, where did he get to, maybe got tired of the crap from certain "experts" on a certain site????? Sound familiar???
Old 07-08-2009, 07:16 AM

Here's my Dads old 270 Husqvarna, purchased new by him in the early 50's. He's coming 77 this year, but he still slings his ole rifle over his shoulder and goes a-walkin' every fall....

[IMG][/IMG]

And his favorite trophy:

[IMG][/IMG]