Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
So because you don't want or feel the need to carry, nobody should?
Joining the RCMP is the best way to make a difference?

Look, we obviously disagree, but don't assume you are right. The OP had a problem, there are many different opinions as to how he should solve it. One method will not solve it, that is relying on the status quo of reporting to RCMP or local authorities. Where the individual takes it from there is up to them.
In order;

Yes
Yes, or whine impotently in forums about wanting things like open carry in Canada. You have that covered.
Ok, don't assume you are right either. Am I not allowed an opinion and to back it?

Are you wanting open carry 'coz it's cool' or are you trying to protect someone? Where do you live that is so bad?
What is your agenda?
Old 01-10-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
Nieghbour made some up to deal with stray dogs coming to his farm. He asked me if I had ever seen them used. No! Well he pointed the gun shotgun at a sheet of plywood to show me the pattern. Blew a 1 inch hole in it. I guess they must take on moisture and get pretty solid.
I guess! I suppose they should be made "fresh" once in a while, or maybe with a little buffer to keep them separated.

Or maybe tapping them around the top to break it up?

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 01-10-2017, 04:43 PM

I have been watching an other thread on this site. They can,t understand why land owners get all freaked when they see people scouting their property or coming to their door step. They get all p..off if you confront them.Im with the Rotti solution. Good luck fellas
Old 01-11-2017, 06:11 PM

When I lived an Hour from the nearest Police we had some funny Biz going on in the area and when the Police showed up I asked the cop what is one to do if someone breaks while I am home wait an hour for you to show up ? He told me I am not a Lawyer but if someone is dead in your house especially at night you will be in trouble but you should be able to get out of it sooner rather than later his last words were remember no one is attacking if they get shot in the back Dead Men Cant Tell Lies so take that with a grain of salt or whatever you want
Old 01-11-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkynuts View Post
When I lived an Hour from the nearest Police we had some funny Biz going on in the area and when the Police showed up I asked the cop what is one to do if someone breaks while I am home wait an hour for you to show up ? He told me I am not a Lawyer but if someone is dead in your house especially at night you will be in trouble but you should be able to get out of it sooner rather than later his last words were remember no one is attacking if they get shot in the back Dead Men Cant Tell Lies so take that with a grain of salt or whatever you want
A police officer told me 1 shot if possible between the eyes, IF you can prove mortal danger and no possibility of escape.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:31 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
A police officer told me 1 shot if possible between the eyes, IF you can prove mortal danger and no possibility of escape.
First shot between the eyes, second shot in the ceiling...and be ready to prove mortal danger as Ken said
Old 01-11-2017, 07:30 PM
Banned

Yet another home invasion on a rural property in central Alberta. Who's got the nads
Old 01-11-2017, 09:28 PM

Are any of these break ins taking place when homeowners are home?
Old 01-12-2017, 05:50 AM

I own a recreational property 15 miles from my town. I have installed cameras steel gates placed large rocks to deter thieves. When I go out there with my kids I am packing a firearm. Iam not gonna take any chances. If I pull up and catch a few dirt bags stealing my trailer who's to say how violent they will or will not get. Rural crime has passed into the relm of stupidity. The amount of people I know with rural property thefts is insane. Cops don't care till they can charge a tax payer
A few more scumbags in the ground will help things.imho
Old 01-12-2017, 05:54 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
First shot between the eyes, second shot in the ceiling...and be ready to prove mortal danger as Ken said
Visible centre of mass, 00, the rest can be played out accordingly.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-12-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandHeart View Post
Are any of these break ins taking place when homeowners are home?
Two males and a female just held and beat a senior citizen living alone on a rural property outside of Leduc.. Scum bag thieves and dope addicts are fearless, need a few swinging from a rope posted on dopers facebook so they get the hint.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:22 AM
Banned

Default So what's the root problem here?

I'm trying to wrap my head around this thread.

It's appears to me that rural crime has seen a significant increase. It also seems to be primarily property crimes.

Aside from this being rural how is it different from crimes in a big city like Edmonton or Calgary?

I could have my house broken into and get just the same response from EPS, as it appears to be , from the RCMP.

Is it a numbers game?
One officer per X amount of property
Amount of resources available?

I mean there are areas all over the city that see more than their share of crimes.

I understand the logic of one having property and living outside the city.
You didn't pay good money for your land to see it over run with theives.

But given some of the posts on here, it isn't like this is a new occurrence.

But it has the air of multiple occurrences happening to the same owner(S) or at least in the same area.

The solution also doesn't seem to be an easy one.

Crime happens.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7mag View Post
Two males and a female just held and beat a senior citizen living alone on a rural property outside of Leduc.. Scum bag thieves and dope addicts are fearless, need a few swinging from a rope posted on dopers facebook so they get the hint.
Beating a senior citizen? Put them in stocks, leave 'em there for a few days outside.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post

It's appears to me that rural crime has seen a significant increase. It also seems to be primarily property crimes.

Aside from this being rural how is it different from crimes in a big city like Edmonton or Calgary?

I could have my house broken into and get just the same response from EPS, as it appears to be , from the RCMP.

Is it a numbers game?

I mean there are areas all over the city that see more than their share of crimes.

But it has the air of multiple occurrences happening to the same owner(S) or at least in the same area.

Crime happens.
I think you answered some of your own questions!
It's not something new for sure, but the frequency of incidents has been on the rise over the last couple of years!
Old 01-12-2017, 09:53 AM

Hang em high and burrie them deep
Old 01-12-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post

Is it a numbers game?

Crime happens.
I speak for myself, but rural crime, at least where I live was unheard of. 8 years ago I left for the old country for 2 weeks and literally pulled the door closed. No locks on it. Told the neighbor to watch the yard light when he drives by and if it is not on the power is off, and not to bother checking up on my stuff.
Now I don't even go feed the cows without locking doors and turning the alarm on. So one of 2 things happened. Criminals realize that rural dwellings are soft targets, and crime prevention in the city/town is better and they moved on to greener pastures where people are not as "crime conscious"
Or there are more criminals out there, and there is a bigger market for stolen goods

Last edited by Immigrant; 01-12-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:59 AM
Gone Hunting

While it may not be new, it wasn't long ago, [20 years], that keys were left in vehicles, houses unlocked and they were seldom bothered. You could even leave an ice shack out all winter, or a wall tent set up with your gear in it while you hunted for the day. Today it seems if you are concerned about the security of your sports gear, you need to take the Preparation H approach and shove it up your......well you get the idea.

Of course there were a few thefts in the rural areas. Some missing gas or some kids being dinks. These situations were usually handled 'in house' effectively. Landowner kicked your butt and then the parents did the same. Your poor behavior was shared in the community and you became the target for a lot of eyes.

Home invasions also are a 'new' phenomenon , becoming more common in rural areas. At one time fuel was stolen to go for a joyride in a pickup down to the local hidey hole to drink beer and play slap and tickle with the local girls.

Today I'll bet 99% of thefts are to finance drugs. When I hear about the 'war on drugs' I chuckle. There is no war on drugs. terror, corrupt politicians or pedophiles. The system that is supposed to be at war is moving to legalize drugs, provide them free. Heck of a way to win a war. War means the enemy is destroyed or at least degraded to no longer threaten the peace and security of society. If the situation is bad enough to go to WAR, then you go for the win, not the tie.

I've been burglarized and been though all that entails, from the loss of security, and property, to dealing with law enforcement and on into the court system. at no point in the process did I feel well served by the people involved. Not once.

I've also been fortunate enough to catch bad guys stealing my vehicles a couple times. Much simpler and faster solution.

So while it may not be new, it is new...ish, and the rules of engagement have changed.

The world is a terrible place when even Kim Kardashian is a victim.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand