Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2015, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Maybe I didn't word it properly. What I'm saying is that the owner at best would maybe get 3-5 more years with his dog, with most likely half those being filled with health problems. As a compromise putting down the dog a bit early before it started getting major health issues would be good for the dog, and it also keeps the children safe when they go over.
Yep, I understood you correctly.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Yep, I understood you correctly.
Do you have children? Because if you do I can't see why you'd be alright with an old dog that is known to bite at a child's face.

And yes it sucks that the dog has to be put down as it isn't the dogs fault. It is the owners fault as he A) didn't train the dog properly, and B) didn't watch his grandson close enough. If the dog is kept in the house I worry that similar situations will occur and that another child might be left unattended and may be harmed more severely then the last two.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javlin101 View Post
Have to agree Rug, from the original post the dog did not ATTACK the child it was most likely startled and not liking kids in the first place gave a warning nip. Unfortunately the kid had his face in the right place at the wrong time If the dog truly bit the child he would have more than scratches.

I cannot believe that any dog no matter how well trained will not nip or bite if provoked or abused long enough. Their instincts will kick in eventually and the animal will protect its self.

In this case there was no attack but a warning sent out and the adults were at fault to trust an animal that was known to dislike kids. We are not talking Cujo here for pete sakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by javlin101 View Post
Not at all, have you seen a dog attack something?
So some sanity dose prevail on this forum well said guys

Mack
Old 03-26-2015, 04:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Do you have children? Because if you do I can't see why you'd be alright with an old dog that is known to bite at a child's face.

And yes it sucks that the dog has to be put down as it isn't the dogs fault. It is the owners fault as he A) didn't train the dog properly, and B) didn't watch his grandson close enough. If the dog is kept in the house I worry that similar situations will occur and that another child might be left unattended and may be harmed more severely then the last two.
I don't have kids. I care too deeply for the environment. I do have nieces and nephews though, and those that are old enough were told how to behave around dogs, and those that aren't old enough, are never with the dogs unsupervised.

Dogs are unpredictable. Even the best trained of them. Honestly, this dog in this thread sounds like it showed restraint and only used enough force to warn the child to stop. I wouldn't throw away a bike just because my kid fell off of it either. Kids like to get hurt. That's why they don't listen to their parents.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I don't have kids. I care too deeply for the environment. I do have nieces and nephews though, and those that are old enough were told how to behave around dogs, and those that aren't old enough, are never with the dogs unsupervised.

Dogs are unpredictable. Even the best trained of them. Honestly, this dog in this thread sounds like it showed restraint and only used enough force to warn the child to stop. I wouldn't throw away a bike just because my kid fell off of it either. Kids like to get hurt. That's why they don't listen to their parents.
This is the problem, where it's happened twice before where kids were left unattended with the dog. I wonder if it'll happen again.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
This is the problem, where it's happened twice before where kids were left unattended with the dog. I wonder if it'll happen again.
Whose problem is that? Shoot the dog because the "grown ups" are irresponsible?
Old 03-26-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Whose problem is that? Shoot the dog because the "grown ups" are irresponsible?
It's the owners, but shooting him wouldn't go over as well.

I know as a parent I wouldn't be allowing my kids to go over to their grandparents again if the dog was still there. The trust level with the grandparent has been broken so it'll be easier on the family if the dog is gone.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's the owners, but shooting him wouldn't go over as well.

I know as a parent I wouldn't be allowing my kids to go over to their grandparents again if the dog was still there. The trust level with the grandparent has been broken so it'll be easier on the family if the dog is gone.
Lots of things ain't easy in life. That don't make em right.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:42 PM

My son was 11 and was at a friend’s place for a birthday party last year. My son went out on the deck to pet their dog (bullmastiff) as he has done it before, the dog jumped up and bit my son in the face. This ended up him getting 8 stitches, it came very close to his eye so he was lucky in that sense. The owners were going to have the dog put down but had to wait 10 days just incase it was sick. We didn’t let the county bylaw know of the incident because we thought the dog was going to be put down (I should have reported it). The owners decided not to follow through. If it was my dog I would have put it down and I would have had a hard time not to do it right then, I believe I well trained dog should never bite someone especially a child.

I have always told my kids not to fear dogs but to give them respect and space and never get in a dogs face. We are hoping in time the scaring will fade on his cheek. It wasn’t the first time he was at his friends and he had pet the dog before; I’m thinking the dog was ****ed off with all the noise and kids running around.

We heard later from another boy’s mother that the owners said it was only a scratch and they didn’t feel like putting their dog down. We didn’t want my son’s friendship to end with his buddy so we didn’t make a big deal out of this; he just can’t go over to his place well they still have that dog.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:47 PM

I'm reporting the OP and his father-in-law to child welfare.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post
was visiting my in laws..
.. my wife basically got ****ed I didn't kill the dog...
Went to the inlaws with my 5yr old son last Saturday whom has a prized old $3500 Clydesdale Horse that we were told "does not like children"..long story short, my young Johnny grabbed at it's rear leg & it kicked him real good right in the now bloodied face..after the trip to the butcher shop, we are eating wieners/hotdogs tonight.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Lots of things ain't easy in life. That don't make em right.
Amen to that.

Lots of people quick to blame a dog when they should be looking at the owner.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:11 PM

Forget the dog, can we put this thread out of it's misery?!?!?
Old 03-26-2015, 07:33 PM

If we accept the fact that ALLdog behaviors are the responsibility of the owner, the dog still comes up short!! Sure, it is the owner's fault that the dog is under-socialized, but the facts speak for themselves. The dog is a repeat offender, even if it's not the dog's fault. If the child had been badly hurt, a lot of opinions here would differ, IMO. The dog pays the price for it's owner's shortcomings. If the dog actually badly hurts the next kid, it will be too late, legally & ethically, IMO. No third strike in this instance....
Old 03-26-2015, 08:23 PM

I don't have young children so when I got my dog, I borrowed my friend's children to socialize him. As a result, he's pretty tolerant towards children but he does get a little stressed out with the over rambunctious loud kids because he's unaccustomed that that behavior on a daily basis. I never leave him unattended around kids though because never know what will happen. That said, I do have friends with young kids that like to yank on him, ears and tail or try to follow him when he wants to retreat to a quiet place to get away from the chaos. Most times I want to follow him myself to escape the brats.

After speaking with one friend about how her children treat my dog when they're around and their crappy treatment towards him, she still has neglected to teach her kids proper dog etiquette. So, as a result her kids aren't welcome at my place anymore. I can't stand how they treat my dog, the kids don't listen to me and the parents don't teach them proper dog etiquette. 1 of these days, those kids are going to get bit and it's going to be due to their parent's negligence. All I know is if they come to my home, which also is my dog's home, if they can't follow proper etiquette with my dog then I don't want them around.

Not implying that was the case with the OP here but some people can't or won't teach their kids not to poke, pull and generally irritate a dog and sometimes, a hard lesson is learned to the detriment of the dog. Most people wouldn't tolerate a kid pulling their hair, ears or nose so why would they expect a dog to have to tolerate it?

Last edited by Sporty; 03-26-2015 at 08:29 PM.