Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-25-2021, 07:44 AM

Default gun smithing course in calgary area

Hello All,
I am wondering if any one know a gun smith or a place around Calgary area where i can learn gun smithing,i have searched NAIT runs a course in Edmonton which is far for me.
Thanks
Old 12-25-2021, 10:29 AM

Many gunsmiths are or were trained machinists. Sait has machinist apprenticeship and courses once you look into the cost of equipment and compare it to just paying someone to spin up a barrel or the other major work that gunsmiths do versus just what guys can accomplish with basic tools in their garage the dream becomes cost prohibitive. Sait used to have a basic gunsmith course but I think it was removed from the curriculum, it was mostly basic lathe training with guys taking it multiple times just to get access to the machine shop. Barring that I would try to talk to a place like Alberta tactical about how a guy can get into the industry.
Old 12-25-2021, 10:45 AM

You could PM FPS from here on AO and pick his brain. You could also talk to David Henry who is here on AO. He is retired now but a great source of knowledge.
Old 12-25-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Many gunsmiths are or were trained machinists. Sait has machinist apprenticeship and courses once you look into the cost of equipment and compare it to just paying someone to spin up a barrel or the other major work that gunsmiths do versus just what guys can accomplish with basic tools in their garage the dream becomes cost prohibitive. Sait used to have a basic gunsmith course but I think it was removed from the curriculum, it was mostly basic lathe training with guys taking it multiple times just to get access to the machine shop. Barring that I would try to talk to a place like Alberta tactical about how a guy can get into the industry.
Thanks a lot for the information, I am heavy equipment tech,millwright by trade and also have some experience of lathe work i do have lathe machine in my garage, I used to have Bridgeport milling machine which i sold last year i just want to learn gunsmithing for fun only or to help out others.
Thanks
Old 12-25-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
I went through SAITs machinists course in 2020 there were many that wanted to see the gunsmithing equipment... we were shown the locked cabinet. The current Dean of Manufacturing is scared of the idea of people working on guns on the campus and therefore has removed the curriculum, its a shame. Out of my class of 25 Apprentice machinists 22 were firearms owners and wanted the education.
Old 12-25-2021, 12:47 PM

Someone used to run a course at Col. Macleod school across from the 16th ave RCMP stn in evenings, haven't heard anything about that one in a number of yrs. Probably got banned.
Old 12-25-2021, 01:38 PM

Thats how they will take trade out from our hands.
Old 12-25-2021, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
I went through SAITs machinists course in 2020 there were many that wanted to see the gunsmithing equipment... we were shown the locked cabinet. The current Dean of Manufacturing is scared of the idea of people working on guns on the campus and therefore has removed the curriculum, its a shame. Out of my class of 25 Apprentice machinists 22 were firearms owners and wanted the education.
There was a gun range on campus when I attended SAIT.
Old 12-25-2021, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saican View Post
Hello All,
I am wondering if any one know a gun smith or a place around Calgary area where i can learn gun smithing,i have searched NAIT runs a course in Edmonton which is far for me.
Thanks
You might find something of interest here. Either a course or maybe video or book.

https://www.gordysprecision.com/

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-26-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
You might find something of interest here. Either a course or maybe video or book.

https://www.gordysprecision.com/
Thanks a lot for information.
Old 12-26-2021, 09:05 AM

rent a cheap hotel room and take the Edmonton course you el cheapo

that is the price of admission

what happens if you want to become a vet, go to Saskatchewan used to be the only option

life is tough it is even tougher when you don’t live where the education is

JUST ASK ALL THE RURAL STUDENTS WHO HAVE TO PAY APARTMENT RENTAL FOR YEARS TO ADD TO THEIR STUDENT DEBT RATHER THAN STAY AT HOME

small cost to pay to get the education you need
a few weekends that is all

or call blue chip for private instruction and yes I get 10% referral fee this time

your welcome for the common sense approach to your education dilemma

I can hardly wait for the comments

your most reasoned reply is expected

Cement Bench
Old 12-26-2021, 09:18 AM

Canada has machinists with interests relating to firearms. I suspect the closest real gun smithing program will be a BFA at one of the schools in Kentucky.
Old 12-26-2021, 09:37 AM

The top schools in the USA used to be Colorado School of Trades and Trinidad college .