Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-11-2021, 12:20 PM

Default 300 wsm

Thoughts on 300 WSM? redundant, or a good all round caliber? PFA

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2021, 01:35 PM

A 300 Win Mag in a shorter, easier to handle package. What’s not to like.

I’ve had both a 300 Win Mag and a 300WSM in the same rifle. I still have the 300WSM because it was a short action and could do the same with a shorter barrel.

So ya, I like it.
Old 12-11-2021, 03:18 PM

I've got a .270, good thing I hand load or it would be a pain in the butt. Brass is expensive and hard to find and the performance ain't that great, magazine capacity is reduced as well. One of those sales gimmicks past it's best before date. I love it though.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 12-11-2021, 03:25 PM

The 270wsm and 300wsm are both great cartridges. I shoot 150 barnes ttsx out of my 300wsm and love it. Tikka t3 super light awesome gun. I've shot moose,elk and deer with it and its performed great.
Old 12-11-2021, 03:26 PM

I had one. It didn’t do anything my 30-06 doesn’t do for me with less recoil.
Great cartridge but probably won’t buy another for my purposes

Funny enough I have interest in a 6.5 PRC. But what will that do for me that my 6.5x55 or a 270 (spit for saying such blasphemy) wouldn’t do?

I guess it depends what a guy likes and what they intend to use it for
Old 12-11-2021, 06:36 PM

I had a 300wsm. Great rifle and it did very well with a range of bullet weights but my fav was the 180 range. A little slower than the 300WinMag but much less recoil. I only sold it because I prefer my 270wsm with knocks down everything, is amazingly light, easy to carry, and is crazy accurate.
Old 12-11-2021, 08:17 PM

I had a Sak0 A7 in 300WSM. It shot ok, but never really wowed me. I took the barrel off and had a benchmark threaded on chambered in 6.5 WSM (Leopard) Man that think shoots like a laser and is now my go to mountain rifle.
Old 12-12-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
You're being awful tough on your poor .270 wsm Sir! The regular .270 win is my favourite of the 20th century cartridges and the .270 wsm adds a solid 200 yards range potential over the .270 win. You have a winner imo, not a sales gimmick.
We get along. Nice and light for an old guy to lug around.

Grizz

Old 12-12-2021, 02:10 PM

I had a 300 wsm . It shot just fine but the recoil kicked the living crap out of me, I sold it and bought a 300 wm. Much nicer rifle to shoot despite it being a longer action with a longer barrel and maybe because its a little heavier than the WSM.
The WSM has a ballistic edge on the 300 up to a bullet weight of 180 gr where the ballistics, at least on the information I have, are about identical. ONce you get over 180 gr the WM has the edge.
So WSM, has more recoil, more noise and is generally lighter and easier to drag around.
The WM has less recoil less noise but is a little heavier.
Ballistics are very close to the same, give or take depending on bullet weight.
WM ammo is easier to find and less expensive
The WSM has a reputation of not feeding well because of the short fat case, although I never had a problem.
The WM is probably easier to find a buyer for if you ever wanted to sell, just because its such a popular option

I think its a pick your poison kind of thing, both have positives, both have negatives, but for me the WM wins the comparison.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
The 270wsm and 300wsm are both great cartridges. I shoot 150 barnes ttsx out of my 300wsm and love it. Tikka t3 super light awesome gun. I've shot moose,elk and deer with it and its performed great.

Its interesting. Talk to some smiths on what and what not to buy reliability wise and short action magnums come up as being the most problematic. I love the 270wsm. The 300 not so much. Def delivers stiff recoil. More than the 300wm imo.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:49 PM

Have a 270wsm in tikka t3 lite and a 300wsm in the tikka superlite. If I had to chose one gunn it would be the 270wsm. Never had any feeding issues with the tikkas.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:50 PM

I am generally a big fan of high speed rounds. All in however, if you absolutely must have a short action rifle, stick to the 308. In a quality built rifle you can push a 150 grain bullet to 3000 fps and a 130 to 3150. It does that in a 6Lb, scoped, loaded and sling on rifle, with 47 grains of powder and easy to deal with recoil. If you want to run mag velocity like the 300 WM, 300 Weatherby, RUM and the like, get a proper long action. No where near the feeding issues the short mags have, no problem with mag capacity or COAL. The weight difference for the action is under 4 ounces, and bolt stroke is only 9/16" longer, so no real difference in cycle time. This massive fascination with short actions is 99% marketing hype. In real world use, it has far more negatives than positives.
Old 12-12-2021, 05:01 PM

I have have had 300 WSM and 300 Win. I will take the Win. As Dean mentioned, feeding issues are not an issue until you have them. Then they are. Big boomers. Long action. Nice easy guns. Short action. Simple.

The 300 WSM was in a Kimber Montana. The 300 Win Mag was a Tikka. Both light rifles. I couldn’t notice a difference in recoil. You had to hold on to both of em, but they were hunting rifles.
Old 12-12-2021, 05:28 PM

I am a big fan of the 300wsm. Never had a feeding issue, never even heard that until now.
I’m actually looking at a Steyr in that caliber.
Old 12-12-2021, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
I am a big fan of the 300wsm. Never had a feeding issue, never even heard that until now.
I’m actually looking at a Steyr in that caliber.
Not trying to be smart but if you don't know about short mag feed issues you haven't played with many or read much. Some of the short mags don't have feeding issues but they are the less common than the ones that do. Google short mag feed issues or talk to any good gunsmith and you will find LOTS of feedback on the issue. There are in fact a fairly large number of top Smith's that won't chamber short mags, or make it VERY clear they will not warrant feeding issues with them.
Old 12-12-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Not trying to be smart but if you don't know about short mag feed issues you haven't played with many or read much. Some of the short mags don't have feeding issues but they are the less common than the ones that do. Google short mag feed issues or talk to any good gunsmith and you will find LOTS of feedback on the issue.
Mine is a Savage, I don't put more than 2 in the mag, it physically won't hold a third round and feed smoothly, which means I usually carry one up the spout, something I'm reluctant to do.

Grizz

Old 12-12-2021, 05:41 PM

Just looking at the short mag you can quickly tell it can have feeding issues.

That being said I haven't had any issues with my 300wsm, but I knew it was a possibility when I bought it.
Old 12-12-2021, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Not trying to be smart but if you don't know about short mag feed issues you haven't played with many or read much. Some of the short mags don't have feeding issues but they are the less common than the ones that do. Google short mag feed issues or talk to any good gunsmith and you will find LOTS of feedback on the issue. There are in fact a fairly large number of top Smith's that won't chamber short mags, or make it VERY clear they will not warrant feeding issues with them.
Feeding isdues were the very first thing I read about the WSM line of unnecessary cartridges.
Old 12-12-2021, 05:47 PM

I and my son have had 4 or 5 300 wsm's all in Browning A bolt. Both of us currently shooting a Mountain Ti. Mine will stay with me until I croak. No interest in carrying a heavier 300 mag that takes more powder only to gain 100 fps. Nothing wrong with either but the 300 WSM isn't going away. Currently shooting 200 grain handloads with nosler accubond. Makes holes in meat the same as a lot of other calibers. Never experienced the so called feeding issues after 100's of rounds. As far as brass goes I have accumulated over 500 cases so not really too worried. In the end it's whatever a person likes. No right or wrong.
Old 12-12-2021, 05:47 PM

Tikka short action magazines seem to feed smoothly. I tried a long action mag and I couldn't get it to feed correctly. Those steep shoulders slammed into the front of the mag each time instead of ramping up into the chamber.
Old 12-12-2021, 05:55 PM

There is a very good reason the 375 H&H, 9.3x62/64 are still a hugely popular dangerous game cartridges. They are far from being the most efficient or hyper velocity cartridge we are capable of designing today but the cartridge feeds like greased lightning. You never hear of a 375 jamming under pressure. In a hunting cartridge, feed reliability WAY outweighs an extra 200 fps, or short action skookumness. Like I have said many times, I love what modern tech, powders and bullets allow us to do, but never disrespect just how truly competent some of the old designs are, many modern cartridges don't come close to matching them.
Old 12-12-2021, 06:06 PM

Quote:

I just read 30+ posts and what I gathered is that is more myth than fact. Everyone starts a thread of supposed feeding issues and almost everyone replies with no issues. I did read about 700 feeding issues and a guys gun rechambered having problems but honestly I came up with no viable information.
For the record My experience is Tikka and Savage (mine and friends rifles), no problems at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I just read 30+ posts and what I gathered is that is more myth than fact. Everyone starts a thread of supposed feeding issues and almost everyone replies with no issues. I did read about 700 feeding issues and a guys gun rechambered having problems but honestly I came up with no viable information.
For the record My experience is Tikka and Savage (mine and friends rifles), no problems at all

Talk to a good gunsmith if u don't believe me. Let them explain to you just how much fun they have trying to get them to feed right. I won't bother posting my actual experience with feed issues on the short rum 300 or the short 338 wsm. I try real hard not to talk out my hat/ass but u are free to believe whatever u find on the internet. I am done with this thread.
Old 12-12-2021, 06:12 PM

The feeding issues originate in the magazine.
As Dean stated look at the shoulder angle, how the bullet sits in the brass of the dangerous animal cartridge vs how the wsm looks. You should be able to see how it has the potential to get the shoulder caught on the feed lip of the magazine, the bullet states the cartridge on an upward trajectory, but it can hit the shoulder abruptly with a wsm
Old 12-12-2021, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
A 300 Win Mag in a shorter, easier to handle package. What’s not to like.

I’ve had both a 300 Win Mag and a 300WSM in the same rifle. I still have the 300WSM because it was a short action and could do the same with a shorter barrel.

So ya, I like it.
Really!!
Old 12-12-2021, 06:19 PM

Buddy of mine has one,he shot at a six point Bull Elk missed, and the rifle jammed up when he went to shoot again. Feeding issues are common with this caliber.
Old 12-12-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I am generally a big fan of high speed rounds. All in however, if you absolutely must have a short action rifle, stick to the 308. In a quality built rifle you can push a 150 grain bullet to 3000 fps and a 130 to 3150. It does that in a 6Lb, scoped, loaded and sling on rifle, with 47 grains of powder and easy to deal with recoil. If you want to run mag velocity like the 300 WM, 300 Weatherby, RUM and the like, get a proper long action. No where near the feeding issues the short mags have, no problem with mag capacity or COAL. The weight difference for the action is under 4 ounces, and bolt stroke is only 9/16" longer, so no real difference in cycle time. This massive fascination with short actions is 99% marketing hype. In real world use, it has far more negatives than positives.
You said it right.
Old 12-12-2021, 07:25 PM

My .300 has H&H stamped on the casehead...
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 12-12-2021, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Ask a gunsmith if they see more issues with the short mags than the long action versions. The 2 I frequent have both stated it.

Ftr I have no axe to grind with short magnums. Just passing on what I've been told.
Old 12-12-2021, 08:01 PM

I have been shooting 300 WSM for around 16 years as well as 270 WSM and 325 WSM.
I put around 3500 rounds through them and never had any problems in the shooting range or in the field hunting .
All 3 rifles that I have are Win mod 70 Super grade, Featherweight and Coyote model.
Maybe another manufactures have a feeding or extraction problems with WSM case, but I never had it with the rifles that I have.
I had 300 Win and Weatherby also but sold them as I prefer 24" barrel .

S12