Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-04-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
88,000 people evacuated overnight
Camps opened up on s moments notice
2 hours to evacuate the patients from the hospital . Two trips to get the seniors out.
Fires being held by crews non stop
Military and more crews on the way today
Three tankers with fuel on their way as I speak to help those in need
I think they are doing a pretty good job.
Oh, and BTW people I WAS THERE!
Not sitting behind s keyboard judging!!
I haven't read all the posts because I have been driving or no cell service but we need to take a step back and think of people like sdvc who lost his home in this
Disaster !
Cat
Thank you for keeping us informed, and stay safe!
Old 05-04-2016, 02:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedive View Post
State of emergency means something different than most people think it does it is more of bureaucratic term than a gauge of disaster. I basically gives a financial carte blanche and other authority powers to the person in command of the emergency so as she said in the video they already have those powers and aren't need province wide. Wish I could explain it better its been too long since I took the training course on this stuff.
Premier Notley said that declaring a state of emergency was not necessary, as they have the same powers now that they would have anyways. Whether it's official or not, Ft Mac is in a state of emergency.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:15 PM
Gone Hunting

Declaring a state of emergancy has more to do with making the public feel good then with getting the job done.
The job IS getting done, there is plenty of time to make. feel good declarations later.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-04-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
2 hours to evacuate the patients from the hospital . Two trips to get the seniors out.
I haven't read all the posts because I have been driving or no cell service but we need to take a step back and think of people like sdvc who lost his home in this
Disaster !
Oh Yeah ,NO LIVES LOST YET!
But if three steps can bet it will be s man or woman giving the ultimate sacrifice in the line of duty!
Cat
Once this disaster gets under control and the magnitude is assessed, i have no doubt the rest of Alberta will be there to help and the members here on AO will be first in line to help our members who lost their belongings and homes in any way we can.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedive View Post
State of emergency means something different than most people think it does it is more of bureaucratic term than a gauge of disaster. I basically gives a financial carte blanche and other authority powers to the person in command of the emergency so as she said in the video they already have those powers and aren't need province wide. Wish I could explain it better its been too long since I took the training course on this stuff.
whoa whoa.. Stop..

You're not supposed to understand what a "state of emergency" is, just complain that there isn't one.. (sarcasm)..

Come on people, everything is being handled VERY well, whether it be help from companies, volunteers or gov't. WHO GIVES A CRAP.. Everyone Evacuated in a safe manor, and nobody (that we know of so far) was left behind. Let's stop bitching about lame ass terminology and get out and help in any way possible.

And there was already a "local state of emergency" declared by Ft.Mac. But hey, feel free to political bash all you want (just please do it in another thread).
Old 05-04-2016, 02:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Disaster !
Oh Yeah ,NO LIVES LOST YET!
But if three steps can bet it will be s man or woman giving the ultimate sacrifice in the line of duty!
Cat

Thank's Cat ... get some rest if you can !!!
Old 05-04-2016, 02:49 PM

Room available at Suncor Firebag site if you know people that need food and shelter. We have doctors and nurses on site. Providing flights to Edmonton and Calgary. Message me if you need help.

Mad
Old 05-04-2016, 02:58 PM

Default A way for us to far away to still be able to help

I know that some of us arnt able to open our homes or live to far away to be able to help out. The Red Cross has opened a designated fund for the Fort Mcmurray fire.

You can either call 1 800 418 1111 or go onto redcross.ca just make sure that you designate any donations too the Alberta Fire Appeal.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:01 PM

Local, Provincial, and federal state of emergency are three different levels of response. All three have different levels of support from each agency and departments involved. They all have different levels of powers afforded to the authorities to respond to the incident.

Declaring a Local state of Emergency allows the Local community to use its resources to control the incident. Allows them to ask for more help from the provincial.

If the local Command and control cannot either declare this themselves and or are overwhelmed with the requirements of the task at hand then they can ask the provincial government or they will automatically take action and declare a Provincial Emergency. At this point the Provincial Disaster management team will stand in place and make things happen.

The difference in levels is generally the amount of resources one can bring to bear on the situation at hand.
Local means just that, what ever resources they have at hand locally
Provincial any resource within the provincial borders they can call upon to be used. minus federal assets unless previously agreed upon.
Federal is the use of resources and funding from across Canada including the Military.

Usually the Military will not deploy until asked for by the Provincial Government.

As usual our Local Military Commanders are on top of things and as soon as they caught information of the situation they started to prep their resources waiting for the call.

At each level who controls the response and how they control the response is what makes the difference.

One thing to note is that with a Military presence and resources, they can and will take higher levels of risk to perfrom their duties. Allows a force multiplier when responding to crises.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:09 PM

Notley has arrive in FT MCMURRAY to assess the situation herself.

The emergency operations centre has moved (due to spreading wildfire) from its base near the Fort McMurray International Airport further south to the Nexen's Long Lake Facility, near Anzac.

That is about 30 minutes outside of town.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
Local, Provincial, and federal state of emergency are three different levels of response. All three have different levels of support from each agency and departments involved. They all have different levels of powers afforded to the authorities to respond to the incident.

Declaring a Local state of Emergency allows the Local community to use its resources to control the incident. Allows them to ask for more help from the provincial.

If the local Command and control cannot either declare this themselves and or are overwhelmed with the requirements of the task at hand then they can ask the provincial government or they will automatically take action and declare a Provincial Emergency. At this point the Provincial Disaster management team will stand in place and make things happen.

The difference in levels is generally the amount of resources one can bring to bear on the situation at hand.
Local means just that, what ever resources they have at hand locally
Provincial any resource within the provincial borders they can call upon to be used. minus federal assets unless previously agreed upon.
Federal is the use of resources and funding from across Canada including the Military.

Usually the Military will not deploy until asked for by the Provincial Government.

As usual our Local Military Commanders are on top of things and as soon as they caught information of the situation they started to prep their resources waiting for the call.

At each level who controls the response and how they control the response is what makes the difference.

One thing to note is that with a Military presence and resources, they can and will take higher levels of risk to perfrom their duties. Allows a force multiplier when responding to crises.
Thanks for the explanation....I have been very impressed with the unity and support from the oil companies, local and municipal agencies and yes, even the Premier. Some of the comments on AO have revealed an attitude that is sorely lacking in other places. This province is truly a leading example of strength under duress....
Old 05-04-2016, 03:54 PM

Highway 881 crash/fire/fatalities.

Appox 40 mins north of LLB.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigg View Post
highway 881 crash/fire/fatalities.

Appox 40 mins north of llb.
rip
Old 05-04-2016, 04:10 PM

as of 1415hrs 4 May 2016, the Minister of Municipal Affairs has declared a Provincial State of Emergency.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:26 PM

How is the fire situation now? Threatening town again?
Old 05-04-2016, 04:33 PM

Agriculture and Forestry (AF) has deployed significant assets to this fire. As of the morning of 4 May, 11 helicopters, 12 pieces of heavy equipment, four air tanker groups (a total of 15 individual aircraft), 120 firefighters, and a Type 1 Incident Management Team were engaged in suppression efforts at the Fort McMurray fire.

Adverse weather conditions forecast for the afternoon of 4 May have increased the likelihood that the majority of Fort McMurray will be impacted by fire before the end of the burning period.

While the Fort McMurray fire remains a top priority, AF is working several other fires in the province. A Fire Weather Advisory was issued for the Fort McMurray, Lac Ia Biche, Fort Vermillion, High Level, Mackenzie, and Red Earth regions.

This advisory warns of very high to extreme Fine Fuel Moisture Code (FFMC) and Initial Spread Index (lSI) values. AF has increased staffing levels at the Provincial Forest Fire Centre (PFFC) in response to the on-going fire operations and the extreme fire conditions in Alberta.

Approximately a dozen veterinarian clinics in the area have been identified through the Alberta Veterinary Medical Association that are prepared to assist evacuees with any animal health requirements they may have during the evacuation.

Alberta Emergency Management Agency has Field Officers engaged with regional authorities and the Major Event Support Apparatus (MESA) is supporting operations at the relocated Regional Emergency Operations Centre (REOC) at the Anzac Community Hall.

The Provincial Operations Centre is elevated to Operational Level 4 (Mandatory Full GOA Coordination). Consequence Management Officers (CMO) from all government ministries and partners are engaged with the POC.

A Critical AEA Alert was issued by the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo (RMWB) advising residents of the evacuations. A Critical AEA Alert was issued by the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo (RMWB). It was last updated at 2347hrs 3 May.

The MESA chase truck is assisting stranded motorists by refuelling vehicles along Highway 63. A fuel vendor has been contracted to travel the open sections of Highway 63 refilling vehicles for stranded motorists.

Representatives from the Amateur radio Emergency Service (ARES) are present in the POC. They have established linkages to the REOC in Fort McMurray to ensure communications capabilities in the event telecoms service is lost.

Approval has been given to deploy Canada Task Force 2 (CANTF2) out of Calgary. The CANTF2 contingent includes 20 Command staff, and 20 support staff. CANTF2 has capabilities to be self sufficient, and includes 4 semitrailer packages including one with a supply of food/water. The Recovery Task Force has been engaged and has begun preliminary planning for recovery operations.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:57 PM
Banned

My heart goes out too the people of Fort McMurray. Just heard the RCMP have put all their members in Alberta on alert to be dispatched to Fort McMurray. I hope we don't have another high river on our hands.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:14 PM

Get the wife home - check.
Get on a plane for McMurray... it's what we do.

I will try to post some updates when boots hit the ground.
Gone Hunting

I hate this.
Yet another evacuation ordered just minutes ago.
This time for part of High Level.
So many friends in danger and I can do nothing.

George Bernard Shaw

If notley declares state of emergancy. High river will happen.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I hate this.
Yet another evacuation ordered just minutes ago.
This time for part of High Level.
So many friends in danger and I can do nothing.

Yeah, I'm here and watching it. So far I don't think it's actually HL yet, it's the area between Bushe River Reserve and the OSB plant, but, the wind is ridiciulously strong right now.

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Old 05-04-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
How is the fire situation now? Threatening town again?

Gregoire Lake evacuated, fire getting closer to airport according to a friend that just left the city. With 881 closed, 63 is carrying all of the traffic.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:19 PM

No doubt, I hope they get this handled soon before she gets dirty.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:24 PM

I just heard a rumor that the airport is destroyed. I hope it's untrue
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:26 PM

Webcam at the Airport as of an hour agoish. (In fort mac, not related to my HL post)

https://www.webcamgalore.com/EN/webc...ray/20908.html

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Old 05-04-2016, 05:27 PM
Gone Hunting

Stay safe and keep us informed

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-04-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Stay safe and keep us informed

Will do, I think we'll be fine. Hopefully. If not, I'm coming to get those antlers you promised me way back when. :P

Old 05-04-2016, 05:29 PM
Gone Hunting

I know ppl involved in all three evacuations.
Not a good day

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-04-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I know ppl involved in all three evacuations.
Not a good day

What scares the chit out of me is that this is only the tip of the iceberg.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
If notley declares state of emergancy. High river will happen.
Be warned !!
I am out of danger now and back Online And will have none of this fear mongering!
Cat