Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2007, 10:58 PM
Tucumseh

Default Guess Who?

Here is a fellow building his tree stand for the 07 hunting season. He says the deer are very plentifull in this area but because of active thermals in the early mornings he has to place his stand up high. Who do you think this fellow is and why has he limbed the entire tree just to place a tree stand. I told him he only needed to be 20 to 30 feet off the ground but he seems to disagree. Can any of you tree hunters out there offer him some good advice on building tree stands? I think he is way too hi. Can't tell those green horns nothing.:rolleyes
Old 04-08-2007, 11:56 PM
Northern Hunting Mom

I just hope he wears a harness waaaayy up there. If he has a problem with thermal winds, he should be more worried about the way he gets to his tree stand, the winds should settle down just before hunting light goes out at night or come up well after you leave your stand in the morning. I would be worried about how much your scent will swirl around and spook EVERYTHING in the area, not just near your shooting window.

Then again, I know nothing abut hunting here and I can prove it.:rollin
Old 04-09-2007, 02:24 AM
Wow

Default Wow

Is it 'Sturdy Danny McGee'?:lol :rollin
Old 04-09-2007, 05:01 AM
it's it's it's

Default it's it's it's

it's Stompin Tom!:rollin :rollin
Old 04-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Duffy4

Default Re: it's it's it's

Hey Tuc is that fellow hunting in southern Sask. by any chance???
He'd be able to see any deer from a long ways off.
Robin
Old 04-09-2007, 11:37 AM
shotgun

Sturdy Dan Mcgee hahahahaha. Man that guy sure loves the Raisin Bran.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Tucumseh

Duff, you know there are no tree's in southern Sask...lol
He's actually in a very well known area. He'll see lots of deer from this locale in the run of a day.

The bugger thinks he's going to hit something with a bow from way up there. Like I say, them dam green horns! :lol

Anymore takers on this fellows identity???:rolleyes
.................................................. ..................................

Noone onto this yet, Did everyone believe the story, I hope not! :lol
Old 04-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Tucumseh

Ahh you guys are no fun. I'll try one last time. The guy in the photo is a board member. The only deer he'll see from this stand are the two legged ones. LOL

Now it should be easy to guess.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:18 PM
just a wild guess

Default just a wild guess

Is it Treeguy?
Old 04-10-2007, 07:53 PM
Tree Guy

Default Re: just a wild guess

Not so wild. Yep!
Old 04-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Tucumseh

Tree, I hope they pay you lots for your line of work.
I worked in a fire tower one summer for the Dept of Lands and Forests (back home) and climbing that 125 ft ladder gave me the willies. What kind of chain saws do you guys use.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:05 AM
Tree Guy

I guess you can't ever be paid enough to do a job that could probably kill you every day (174 industry deaths in the US in 2005). We are #2 behind the Alaskan crab guys. I don't like being #2, but there is no way the wife'll let head up there for a crab season, but I'd love to do it to just say I did! They don't look that tough. :b

As for saws, we run huskies. I hate them with every fibre of my being. They are prima-donna's, and reliably unreliable! My climbing saw is a Stihl top-handle (MS200, I think), and it is bullet proof! Starts every time and consistantly survives 60' drops (oops!).

I'd post up some pics, but my computer is even worse than a huskie and it won't let me! PM me your e-mails or speak up and I will get Tuc to put some up for me.

Tree
Old 04-12-2007, 02:19 PM
Davey Crocket

Love to see some more pics there Tree.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:23 PM
Dan

Im guess a 66' spruce tree?

great pic.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:03 PM
bagwan

Tree Guy, my hats off to you. I hate heights but had no problem upside down in A/C. Had a faller cut three high ones down in my yard in Comox and it took him less time to knock all three down than it did for me and a couple buds to cut them up. He used Stihls and they whacked them down very well.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Tree Guy

Thanks Guys!

Dan, I was probably STANDING at 66'. I wish I had pics of the one I did in Sibbald Flats a couple of weeks ago, 140' Engelman Spruce! It's kind of Jack and the Beanstalk stuff man!

Davey, I as yet, have been able to get PhotoBucket to work for me (my computer requires a hand crank and rabbit ears to work!). If you PM me your email adress I will certainly send you some much cooler shots than that child's play!

In fact, I barely remember that tree, I think it was from a couple of years ago. I was just going throught some files and found it and sent it to Tuc, he posted it with my blessing.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:57 AM
Tucumseh

Tree,
I deleted the earlier pics. If you still have them, send em over and I'll gladly post for you.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:27 AM
tree guy

Default tree guy

Are you suppose to have your harness hooked to the bottom of the tree as in the picture? LOL
Old 04-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Tree Guy

Default Re: tree guy

Better tied to the bottem than to that top!!:rollin

Yeah, Tuc, I'll send 'em back across, you pic what you want to post.

Tree
Old 04-15-2007, 08:20 PM
Tucumseh

Tree Guy....

Old 04-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Duffy4

Looks to me like a "prehensile tail" would come in handy up there. Do you eat a lot of bananas?

Robin
Old 04-16-2007, 01:06 AM
Tree Guy

Thanks Tuc!

Duffy, I've said from 'up top' many times that I needed a tail, or at least a piece of one!

Those pics are from a big Poplar I removed this winter in Didsbury. It was in a very tight spot and I had to 'rope out' about 100 sections. On the bright side the wind was only gusting to about 70kmh that day!>:
Old 04-16-2007, 01:10 AM
Tree Guy

I know I offered up a thread on this quite a while back, but I'll try it again.

I'm an arborist in Calgary. I am entering my 16th season in the industry. If anyone has any questions or wants some free advice concerning their trees, please post up. I am more than willing to give you whatever advice I can and then some. Let 'er rip!

Tree