Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Duk Dog

Default Summer Road Trip/Camping Trips

Toying with some possible ideas for the upcoming summer (August) for 2 weeks. Last year we went down to Montana and Wyoming (Yellowstone) for one week which was an awesome trip, and one well worth doing.

This year we are tossing around the idea of in no particular order A) Yukon/Alaska/NWT area, B) west coast of BC/Queen Charlottes, C) Wyoming/South Dakota for Devils Tower, Badlands, Mt Rushmore areas, D) possibly revisit and explore more of Yellowstone. In lieu of these I guess if we choose to forgo a big trip there is plenty to see and do right here in Alberta.

Has anyone ever done any of these trips? Any other trips I haven't listed that you have done and would recommend? Last year we were pretty mobile as we had just my truck and a tent, but this year it won't be quite as easy to whip around and cover lots of ground as we would be towing a trailer for a change.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:48 AM
Jamie Hunt

You know what would be cool....
Drive to Van, take the boats up to the QCI, then over to PR then drive back home.

Tons of camping loads of fishing and a bit of a low end cruise.
www.bcferries.com/about/service.html
The Discovery Coast Passage,trip sounds like a ball

Jamie
Old 02-04-2007, 07:49 AM
Scott N

I took a trip to Bella Coola, BC on the August long weekend a few years ago and had a great time. The pink and chum salmon run is on and we had almost non-stop action catching pinks up to 6 or 7 pounds and chum up to about 17 -20 pounds on fly rods. This was my first time in this area and I was very impressed with the beauty. The only thing I didn't like was "The Hill" on the way to Bella Coola. Holy crap that is a steep road.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:10 AM
M70

The west coast of Vancouver Island is a neat trip. A couple of buddies and I camped along the southern tip of the island before hiking the West Coast Trail. French Beach and China Beach (?) were two good places to stay for a couple of days. If you are travelling with your family, you might even want to consider the north end of the West Coast Trail. If you start in the north end near Bamfield there are wooden board walks for a good portion of the trail.

One of the most vivid things I remember from the drive to the trail head was the clear cut area. It is truly hard to imagine the vastness of some of the areas and the shortsightedness of the forest managers from previous generations. I hope you have fun on your trip where ever you decide to go.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Boat?

Default Boat?

Hello Scott,
Is it best to have a boat when fishing Bella Coola?
Or is there lots of places to without a boat?
Thanks
DAve
Old 02-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Scott N

Default Re: Boat?

Dave, we fished the river from shore. It was quite high and fast and I don't think suitable for boating. Apparently there are quite a few lakes in the general area with good fishing, plus it is close to the ocean.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:34 PM
7 REM MAG

used to go salmoln fishing on the coast every summer its a blast.quite a few good operations out of the bamfield area
Old 02-04-2007, 02:35 PM
Jamie Hunt

Duk. I think if you burned your way to Van and then relaxed and took t slow you would have plenty of time.
Say 1 full day to Van, 1 day in Victoria, 1 day on the northern tip of Van island, then spend as much time as you want ot the different spots on the way north. Then 2 days home.
Would be a great trip and you would see some parts of BC that few get to.
Bella Bella
Sandspit
PG
The camping on the QCI would be great. Weather at that time of year should be good. Tons of EAGLES. Lots of Salmon fishing.
Cool trip
Dont worry about not seeing Kelowna/Vernon.. How many go cart tracks can you go to??? But you do have to stop for Ice Cream in the Shushwap (Dutchmans Dairy) MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Cherry Cheese cake ice cream in a waffle cone..........
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
We also like to stop at the hot springs on the way out and let the kids go for a swim. It adds a extra hour or 2 but seems to take the edge of the kids and the wife.(And the DAD)
LOLOLOLOLOL

Now you have me talking to the wife about what to do this summer. Last summer was Disney.. I know we have the cabin and the boat this summer for a week, but I would also like to do a trip like what we are talking about.... Who knows
Jamie

Jamie
Old 02-04-2007, 03:05 PM
Duk Dog

Default Re: Summer Treks/Camping

Some good feedback guys, thanks. That trip looks awesome Jamie and is one I've often wondered about doing. Certainly worth further investigation. It is a lot of ground to cover with lots to see and do - figure 2 weeks would be enough? (2 weeks is all there is)
Old 02-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Duk Dog

Thanks again Jamie. You've really got me thinking about the BC coast trek. MMM cheese cake...

Not sure how old your kids are but a great trip would be Cody, Wyoming and Yellowstone. (about a 12 hour drive to Cody) The Buffalo Bill museum is awesome. FNAWS also has their HQ in Cody. Lots to see and do down there.

www.nps.gov/yell/

www.buffalobillmuseum.com/home/index.cfm

www.codystampederodeo.com...rodeo.html
Old 02-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Jamie Hunt

Duk, my kids are 7 and 5. The Van and the truck are both decked out with DVD players so we were thinking a longer road trip might be in the works.... I think its me that hates the long drives more than the kids.
My wife used to teach at Bella Bella, so we might head up that way so she can say hi to some old friends and I can get in some free Salmon fishing:b :b :b . But I would like to go when the Indian band has their big celabration. I have always wanted to experiance something like that. I think it would be good for the kids as well.

Jamie
Old 02-05-2007, 12:38 AM
kanonfodder

My 2 cents, when I was in my teens my brother, Dad and I drove the alaskan highway, fishing on the way up and back. Used the Milepost as our reference book. I have so many memories of that one trip. Your kids may be a little young for it but if they love the outdoors I HIGHLY recommend doing that trip once in your life....It honestly made for some of my fondest memories ever
Old 04-16-2007, 08:19 PM
Duk Dog

Default Re: Summer trips

BTT as we are peering over maps tonight trying to figure out what trip to do this summer.

Anyone ever drive to Prince Rupert? What was it like, and would it make for a good road trip?
Old 04-16-2007, 08:50 PM
parklander

Default Go west, bring cash

I've done the Terrace/Kitimat/Rupert trip many times. Plenty of self-guided fishing to be had for salmon in the rivers,and some trout as well. Kitimat River has just about everything in it at some point in the summer - right now for steelies, June for chinook, July for chums, August for pinks and some sockeye, then the coho show up in September. Plenty of river to fish, but it's a flashy watershed, prone to blowing out with a good hunk of rain. On the plus side, it usually clears up fairly fast. Plan to stay and fish a few days to hedge your bets. There's camping along the river in town (Rotary Club campground, I think). Check in at the Home Hardware in Kitimat for the latest news and supplies.

If you take a 14' or better boat and don't mind humping it over 30km or so of rough road, you can camp and fish in saltwater at Work Channel, between Terrace and Rupert. Never fished in the salt around Rupert, but there are plenty of charters for salmon and halibut to be had.

Take moola and plan to use it. BC loves Albertans, especially when we fish their classified waters. Thankfully, the Kitimat isn't class anything...yet.