Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2007, 11:20 AM
mjmalberta

Default 308 norma mag

i have a 308 norma mag made by alpine firearms in england would appreciate any info on this firearm and any load specs
Old 04-18-2007, 12:38 PM
61A

I have a friend who perchased a .308 Norma Mag a few years ago.

All I can tell you is that it his shoots good groups, it kicks like a mule and the shell casing is the same thickness as a 300.Win Mag and a 7mm.Rem mag. As for size, the shell length is in bteween them both.

He had to buy his factory shells at pnd they are the only ones that I know carried NORMA shells. You can reload them, I believe he had some reoalds done with spent 7mm rem shells.
This might be a better idea if you alreaddy reload...I think it costs him upwards of $80. to buy taylor made shells ( factory )

PND is in Edmonton...Hope this helps a bit.

G-len
Old 04-18-2007, 12:52 PM
mjmalberta

Default 308

thanks yes i already reload them but not to much for charts mine is a great shooter but limited to 190 grain bullets ha ha yeah kicks like a mule
Old 04-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Dick284

308 Norma Mag, and 30-338 are esentially the same cartridge.
Reloading for it is quite easy, 7mm Rem Mag. Brass is ran through a 308NM full length die, and then the case mouths are trimmed to a length that squares off the case mouths.
Most if not all reloading manuals have reloading data for the Norma Mag. and of course there are a bevy of bullets to choose from, if your thinking big game consider controlled expansion bullets of a bullet weight ranging from 165gr. to 200gr.
Powders of choice appear to be IMR 4350, IMR 4831, H4350, H4831, RL 19, RL22.
The cartridge is essentially a ballistic twin to the other 2.5" 30 cal magnums out there, some even claim because of the longer neck on the Norma case the accuracy potential is better than it's Win. Mag. cousin, but again that's opinion of some old school guys.
As for the rifle the Alpine Sporter's are a fine firearm, being for lack of any other word a modernized 98 mauser, much similar to the Parker Hale Mausers, the only down side I've observed is that the stock design is hideous, often with a low comb and lots of drop in the stock coupled with a rather skinny profile on the butt pad, this often gives the Norma Mag. the reputation of a real kicker. Any after market stock for a 98 Mauser such as the Boyds JRS will give the rifle the ergonomics to tame the nastyness out of the poor stock design, and of course a Limbsaver, or Decellerator, recoil pad is also a good choice.
Enjoy,
Reloading is about the only financial solution for this cartridge since factory loaded Norma ammo often carries a more than premium price tag.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:56 PM
mjmalberta

Default thanx

i refitted with a ramline syn stock and put amuzzle brake on as well as a recoil pad ive been reloading for a number of years and have used the 338 case i get beeter results with factory ammo 3 inch at 200 yards stiil in my manuels only show for heavier bullets
Old 04-18-2007, 07:23 PM
Dick284

Default Re: thanx

What manuals do you have I've looked at Speer # 13, Hornady #7, Barne's #3, and Hodgdon #27, and they all list loads from 110gr. to 200-220gr. So what are you looking for in a light bullet?
Also do you check your neck wall thickness with your sized down 338 brass? You might be into a situation with your neck thickness necking 338 brass down, although it works that's why I suggested the 7mm Rem. Mag. brass be necked up you neck wall thickness becomes a non issue that way.

I'm also a bit puzzled as to what your question really is.
Are you hoping for a magic do all load?
I got the impression from your first post that you knew very little about this cartridge or rifle, but now it appears your beyond that. So what are you looking for?