Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Tree Guy

Default A Question For Rob

Hey Rob, do you think it is worth it for me to start a new thread where the AO members can post condolances to the families of the Virginia Tech victims, and then have an IT guy send it out to whichever sites are most pertinant for such a thing?

There are now 2060 registered members and there is no reason why almost everyone here can't post their non-politicized thoughts and condolances. If everyone can put histories, bickering and politics aside for a moment and express their sorrow to 32 families who will soon be laying their children to rest, it could really serve as an 'Olive Branch' that will maybe just help to temper some of the outrage and overreaction towards gun owners in the wake of such a tragedy.

If we can illustrate that the millions of us who own the tools that took the lives of their children are grieving also, it may help to take some of the edge off, and minimize the extremists and the ensuing backlash. We too are feeling sorrow. God Bless them all.

Tree
Old 04-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Tree Guy

As an aside...If anyone has any thoughts about this idea, please post them. I think there is some healing value in this idea. Any thoughts??
Old 04-17-2007, 10:04 PM
sheep hunter

Just a question Tree...are you suggesting we do this as a sign of condolence or to raise the profile of gun owners as good guys. Personally I don't like the idea. It seems as sneaky as what the antis are doing. I for one say let the families mourn in peace and if you truly feel you need to pass along your prayers or condolences, do it as an individual...not as a gun owner and member of an obviously pro-gun web site.

Seems to me like we'd be beating our own drum at the expense of the grieving families.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:07 PM
209x50cal

I second your thoughts Sheep.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:17 PM
Re: A Question For

Although well-intentioned and sincere, I believe that it would be manipulated as "political posturing". I think we do more good by posting our thoughts and condolences on these sites as they are or will be heavily monitored by those who do not share our knowledge and understanding of lawful firearm's ownership. Regards, Mike
Old 04-17-2007, 11:28 PM
Tree Guy

Default Good Point

I ment this as an idea not as gun owners but as fellow human beings who are also feeling their loss. I guess I never really put the potential for negative backlash into consideration. This was not a self-serving/promoting idea. It was simply one where those of us who own the devices that took their children's lives are reaching out to offer our sympathies and condolances to the friends and families of the victims to try to show that we too are human and are feeling the pain from this incident.

Sheep, you are probably right in the offering of private condolances. That would be easier. However, for everyone's talk of a united front and fighting for MORE gun rights rather than defending what we have left, why don't we do this?

If it can be a huge series of heartfelt, non-political condolances (easily edited if need be), why not try it? We don't have to talk about guns on this. We can simply be, 'your fellow man', trying to offer words of comfort, from people who just so happen to own guns.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:41 PM
sheep hunter

Default Re: Good Point

Quote:
However, for everyone's talk of a united front and fighting for MORE gun rights rather than defending what we have left, why don't we do this?
Because our fight is not with the families of these dead children and I for one refuse to drag them into the fight. Count me out Tree. I'll pay my respects and offer my prayers as I see fit as an individual. I don't need to do it as a united front of gun owners. Politics have no place with the families.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:53 PM
Re: Good Point

Tree, this is from an article on the CNN website:

Tuesday, after an emotional convocation service on campus attended by President Bush, Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine announced that at the university's request, he was appointing an independent panel to review Monday's tragedy.

"It is a very important thing, and a standard thing, that a thorough after-action review be done, both on the event and the response, so that we can learn all we can about them."

However, Kaine said he wasn't interested in arguments about gun control.

"People who want to take this within 24 hours of the event and make it their political hobby horse to ride, I've got nothing but loathing for them," Kaine said at a Tuesday evening news conference.

I agree with Sheep Hunter, better to do this on your own rather than suffer the consequences of being accused of advancing a political agenda. I do however, support taking the fight to the anti's and media as they start to call for gun control/confiscation. With respect to all the victims, their families and friends it must be done in an intelligent, credible and respectful manner. I respect your sincerity. Regards, Mike
Old 04-18-2007, 06:56 AM
209x50cal

Quote:
Because our fight is not with the families of these dead children and I for one refuse to drag them into the fight. Count me out Tree. I'll pay my respects and offer my prayers as I see fit as an individual. I don't need to do it as a united front of gun owners. Politics have no place with the families.
Very well put, anything else is down right tacky in my opinion.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Tree Guy

Ok then. Good points. This not an idea based on self-serving ideologies. It was just a thought about reaching out to families who have just their lives ripped apart. That's all. I do understand what you are saying though and that's fine.

Is there someone out there that can post up some links in order for those who desire to send their condolances privately? Or does someone have a better idea than what I proposed?
Old 04-18-2007, 07:17 PM
sheep hunter

Do a yahoo or google search Tree...there are plenty.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:56 PM
Tree Guy

Thanks Sheep, I see if I can't find some links and then post 'em.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:42 PM
Tucumseh

Tree,
I think you have a great idea here but as Mike suggested we need to take it to the media and antis. Though I admire your sincerity, right at this particular point in time I don't think the grieving families would appreciate 'anything' from a group of gun owners.
We do know the antis will take this and run with it and any progress the Harper govenment has made in abolishing the long gun registry will definitely take a step backwards or disappear all together.
Sometimes it seems we are fighting an endless battle, we are a minority and I often wonder what another ten years will bring about. Will any of us have the right or priviledge of owning a gun. Will the sport of hunting slowly disappper?

Anyrate, I agree with the rest of the guys, we should send our prayers and condolences to the families privately.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Tree Guy

I agree with you guys, my heart was in the right place though. Although, as I imagined it, the process of collecting everyone's thoughts might take 3-4 weeks to put it all together, not an immediate response. I see that the NRA and even Iran have offered their condolances. Whatever...

Anyway here is a link I have found in order to post up if you would like to.

www.legacy.com/CAN-vancouver/GB/GuestbookView.aspx?Personld=87298850-23k-17 Apr 2007

Tree
Old 04-18-2007, 11:15 PM
Tree Guy

I think I crapped out on that link. Just tried it and it froze my computer up. Anyone else have some links, I'll keep trying.