Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2007, 10:33 PM
bagwan

Default Dometic Rv Fridge Model RM2652 Recall

Heads up- This type and model (large 2 door) refridgerator has a recall on it and there may be others. I was contacted for warranty repair by Parkview RV in Wetaskiwin and mine was one of the affected ones. It says in the recall to look for the following:
a. leaking or staining at the back of the fridge
b. yellow resideue at the back
c. ammonia smell
d fridge no longer cools.
Do not operate on Lp gas if you have no choice until its fixed. Can use on electric in emergency but do not operate in transit or while asleep. Rework kits are available. If you have this type call 1-888-446-5157 for the closest service tech. and they advise you to book an appointment the soonest.
I have been advised that it takes about 1/2 hour to change out the burner. Mine is in an 03 model trailer but this is a popular make so there could be a lot out there. If you've purchased a used trailer it would certainly pay to look as it sounds hazardous. No matter what model # if you have a Dometic I'd give them a call.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:23 AM
Ishpah

Thanks for the heads up Bagwan, I'm going to check the one in the camper as I think it's the model mention. My furnace has been popping so I was going to have that looked at in the first place, so we'll just add the fridge to the list.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Stinky Buffalo

If you go to

www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/RecallSearch.cfm

Enter the NHTSA Campaign ID Number, 06E076000, in the Quick Search Box on the page. This will take you to the recall notice.

-----------------------
Search Results
Report Date : April 19, 2007 at 02:58 PM
NHTSA Campaign ID number : 06E076000

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
DOMETIC / NDR1062 9999
DOMETIC / RM2652 9999
DOMETIC / RM2662 9999
DOMETIC / RM2663 9999
DOMETIC / RM2852 9999
DOMETIC / RM2862 9999
DOMETIC / RM3662 9999
DOMETIC / RM3663 9999
DOMETIC / RM3862 9999
DOMETIC / RM3863 9999

Manufacturer : DOMETIC CORPORATION

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06E076000 Mfr's Report Date : AUG 28, 2006
Component: EQUIPMENT:RECREATIONAL VEHICLE
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 926877
Summary:
CERTAIN DOMETIC TWO-DOOR REFRIGERATORS MANUFACTURED BETWEEN APRIL 1997 AND MAY 2003: SERIAL NOS. 713XXXXX THROUGH 752XXXXX; 801XXXXX THROUGH 852XXXXX; 901XXXXX THROUGH 952XXXXX; 001XXXXX THROUGH 052XXXXX; 101XXXXX THROUGH 152XXXXX; 201XXXXX THROUGH 252XXXXX; 301XXXXX THROUGH 319XXXXX, INSTALLED IN CERTAIN RECREATIONAL VEHICLES AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT AND SOLD AS AFTERMARKET EQUIPMENT. A FATIGUE CRACK MAY DEVELOP IN THE BOILER TUBE WHICH MAY RELEASE A SUFFICIENT AMOUNT OF PRESSURIZED COOLANT SOLUTION INTO AN AREA WHERE AN IGNITION SOURCE (GAS FLAME) IS PRESENT.
Consequence:
THE RELEASE OF COOLANT UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS COULD IGNITE AND RESULT IN A FIRE.
Remedy:
THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS WILL NOTIFY OWNERS OF RECREATIONAL VEHICLES THAT HAD THE REFRIGERATORS INSTALLED AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT AND DOMETIC WILL NOTIFY OWNERS OF THE AFTERMARKET REFRIGERATORS. DOMETIC WILL INSTALL A SECONDARY BURNER HOUSING FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN BETWEEN APRIL AND JUNE 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DOMETIC AT 888-446-5157.
Notes:
CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
-----------------------

If you click on the Document Search link at the bottom of that page, you will be able to print off all the related documents.

Cheers,
Stinky
Old 04-19-2007, 08:08 PM
bagwan

I booked my appointment with Parkview and lo and behold, today they called back and informed the wife that additional charges were in order to the tune of 89 bucks plus GST as Dometic wasn't paying them enough. It says right in the recall free of charge to the customer. As an aside no one also pays for the gas and loss of time of three to four hours there and back. I called Domeitic as per instruction sheet and they say don't pay. I'm on a time line here and will probably have to pay but if anyone else needs the repair ask about extra charges. May pay to shop around. I expect another call back from Parkview on the matter and will be checking with Vellner in Red Deer tomorrow if they can do in my time frame. Parkview is not doing very well with customer relations with this cowboy at the moment.