Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-20-2012, 09:28 PM

Default Funny things you have overheard at a gun counter

Was in at a un-named gun counter today and the guy behind the counter was showing a young fella a .30-06. I overheard the young guy say, "Yah I have a .270 already but I need something with more knockdown power than it has.....that's why I need a .30-06"....."I just need to have a heavy one so that the recoil isn't too much"...."I can't count how many deer I have lost because the .270 just isn't enough gun...."

Let the games begin....

LC
Old 09-20-2012, 09:44 PM

Default At the counter.

Customer: Is a 300 magnum enough for deer?
Old 09-20-2012, 09:56 PM

Customer: Do they put bolts on the left side for hunters who want to shoot behind themselves.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:04 PM

"This 3 x 12 x 56 zeiss LRF scope is perfect for your 16lb 338 lapua magnum"
Old 09-20-2012, 10:08 PM

"A 204 ruger will begin to lose accuracy at 4-500 rounds and deteriorate rapidly from then on"

Gun counter employee at WSS north 2004.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:14 PM

Last spring I was in Cabellas inquiring about a Henry Mare's leg .22. I was told they quit making em ... aka we don't carry em so you can't get em anymore.

I went on over to P&D and picked one up next day.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:05 PM

While passing by the Cabelas gun counter recently I overheard a rather "large" salesman tell an inquiring customer "With this new browning long range rifle, all you need to do is set up on a cutline and you're good for 2 miles". I looked at the salesman and shook my head while I walked past...
Old 09-20-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depopulator View Post
While passing by the Cabelas gun counter recently I overheard a rather "large" salesman tell an inquiring customer "With this new browning long range rifle, all you need to do is set up on a cutline and you're good for 2 miles". I looked at the salesman and shook my head while I walked past...
Same sales guy...can I take a look at that Weatherby Mark V. His reply, we don't have one right now. There were 4 on the rack.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrand View Post
I laughed way to hard at this
Old 05-05-2015, 05:10 PM

Default just happened

a young fellow just walked up to me and asked if i sell hanguns, well yes. do you have a restricted pal , yes. do you have a range membership, yes. then come in tomorrow and we can start the transfer when the cfc is open. ok. can you tell me if you also sell holsters and badges. for real
Old 05-05-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windago View Post
a young fellow just walked up to me and asked if i sell hanguns, well yes. do you have a restricted pal , yes. do you have a range membership, yes. then come in tomorrow and we can start the transfer when the cfc is open. ok. can you tell me if you also sell holsters and badges. for real
I'd report his PAL, these kind of guys are how trouble starts.

Was at a store in Calgary the other day, first time since I had my car accident. I'm pretty sure the guy I overheard was in before but dang was he going on about killing a bear with a pistol, funny thing was he never said the calibre

All it takes is for one man to misinterpret something and he can start a war that lasts for decades.
Anonymous
Old 10-22-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrand View Post
The counter guy should have recommended a .460 Weatherby with hydra-shock hollow points.......
Old 09-20-2012, 09:55 PM

In the old Backcountry Sports in Red Deer I heard another store patron bragging about packing his Glock 20 for defense when he was bowhunting.

Sadly, before I became a hunter or knowledgeable about guns (outside of the ones in my video games), one of those goofballs was me. I was traipsing through Russell Sports and I joined a conversation; I related to staff a story my buddy had told me about his uncle putting him in a chair to shoot his .375 H&H when he was 12 and I remember calling it a .475 H&H. I got that look.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:26 PM

I heard one moron say, "the 45-70 is only a fifty yard gun", I don't even bother responding to stupid statements like that.

Another one was, "I like to sound hunt", I asked what the hell that means, he said, "I wait for game sounds and shoot at the sound"....idiot.

One other is, "the 308 won't kill game as good as the 30-06"... what do you say to that kind of mental midget.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Banned

Location: FTR Road in the summer (flyfishin), The bush in autum (huntin) the hills in winter (shreddin the pow

OMG This is too much^^^^
Old 10-16-2012, 02:45 PM

Just this morning I called a well known store for some 165 grain Hornady Interlock reloading bullets in .308 diameter, apparently they never heard of them, but I could buy some loaded ammo with Partitions, GMX, TSX, TTSX, just not any Hornady Interlock .308 diameter reloading bullets.
I could not get my point across that I didn't want loaded ammo, but merely the bullets alone. I finally had to politely hang up and try my call again. Why don't they have people that know the product line instead of someone that can fill a pair of shoes.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
Why don't they have people that know the product line instead of someone that can fill a pair of shoes.
Because they only pay the same as McDonalds or KFC. Someone who knows or is capable of learning a broad spectrum about a multitude of products, barrel twists, actions and how they work, can explain the ins and outs of parralax, trajectories, bullet construction, powder selection, has the dexterity to install scopes properly etc, etc, is someone who is capable of getting a much higher paying job and is not going to stay long for those wages. The only hope gunshops have is hiring someone who is financially secure and enjoys guns/ hunting, dealing with the public and dosent depend on the job to pay the bills, retirees, those looking for a hobby type job or looking to supplement their income with partime work. Not too many gunshop offer salaries and benefits worth making a career out of it.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:55 PM

There is not much markup in firearms sales at the gunshop level, so unless the shop sells a lot of accessories and clothing there's no room for good wages.
We are collectively partly to blame as many are very price sensitive.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:58 PM

"You want to buy a box of Remington 270win 130 gr cor-lokt ammo? That's a Winchester cartridge. Remington would never manufacture and sell a competitor's product."

It wasn't said to me but it was said to someone I know pretty well by a clerk at the gun counter of a leading sporting goods store in Calgary. Incredible.

Last edited by 270WIN; 10-16-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:28 AM

Cool Can tire

This one wasnt so much at the gun counter but more so at the till. I grabbed a couple boxes of goose shells. I was at the till paid the bill, the lady asked if I wanted a bag (It was two boxes), Told her I dont need a box ill carry em. She then asked if I was sure? Of course I am dont need a bag for these. She then asked what if someone sees you? I said AND?? Well arnt you worried about what other people will think?? Ummm nope really couldnt give a F****, no. Well have your self a good afternoon I told her.

I didnt really know what to think about that situation, lol. Still dont really know lmao
Old 10-16-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
One other is, "the 308 won't kill game as good as the 30-06"... what do you say to that kind of mental midget.
Look them in the eye and say "Dead is dead isn't it?"

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 10-16-2012, 03:07 PM

Although I have had some good experiences with "behind the counter experts", for the most part, if I had to sum up the general message I have received coming over to me from the "expert" side of the counter, it would be this: "Me (store owner/worker) smart, you dumb."

Over the years, this has turned me int a bit of a suspicious customer, when it comes to acquiring reliable information from store employees. I now tend to do my own research ahead of time, and simply purchase what I already know to be the exact product I'm looking for, regardless of what a store employee may try to convince me of. I've found that they will often try to steer you in the direction of what they have available to sell you (and I guess that's understandable to a degree). I once had a store clerk trying to sell me on Bushnell scope, that Nightforce was garbage. (He wasn't a Nighforce dealer).

Over the years, I've learned more from good forums like this, than I ever learned from the average gun-store employee.

Last edited by Artist; 10-16-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Just this morning I called a well known store for some 165 grain Hornady Interlock reloading bullets in .308 diameter, apparently they never heard of them, but I could buy some loaded ammo with Partitions, GMX, TSX, TTSX, just not any Hornady Interlock .308 diameter reloading bullets.
I could not get my point across that I didn't want loaded ammo, but merely the bullets alone. I finally had to politely hang up and try my call again. Why don't they have people that know the product line instead of someone that can fill a pair of shoes.
You can thank the people that refer to loaded ammunition as "bullets" for that. Some clerks are so used to people not using the proper terminology, that they assume that anyone that asks for bullets really wants loaded ammunition.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:06 PM

[QUOTE=303carbine;1652205]

Another one was, "I like to sound hunt", I asked what the hell that means, he said, "I wait for game sounds and shoot at the sound"....idiot.

How hard was it to not punch him very hard in the head?!?
Jackholes like this guy is what causes some hunting accidents.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:11 PM

[QUOTE=gpgriz;1652436]
Quote:

How hard was it to not punch him very hard in the head?!?
Jackholes like this guy is what causes some hunting accidents.
Sorry this is an old joke from at least 50 years a go "making sound shots", Seasoned hunters would, would just laugh their heads of at this one. But if you could keep a straight face when telling it, it was just great to watch the expressions of the newer gullible hunters. Bait the hook and pull em in.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
One other is, "the 308 won't kill game as good as the 30-06"... what do you say to that kind of metal midget.
We all know the 08 family is inferior to the 06 but calling it a "metal midget" is a little over the top.

I believe "ballistically challenged" would be more politically correct.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
We all know the 08 family is inferior to the 06 but calling it a "metal midget" is a little over the top.

I believe "ballistically challenged" would be more politically correct.
It's a typo, should have been mental midget, just fat fingers
Old 10-17-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Heard a good one at timber creek in rocky today guy i was talking to said hea getting 3300 fps outta his 7mm08 with 150 grain partitions me an the owner couldnt believe how serious he was being
Did he specifically say 7mm-08, or could it have been 7mmx8?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:30 AM

Nope 08
Old 03-11-2013, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Statements like this make me seriously consider body armor for future hunting trips...scary, just plain scary.