Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2022, 03:32 PM

Default Fastest way to get a passport?

I have never gotten a passport before. What is the fastest way a guy can get one? I heard you can pay for it to be processed faster but unsure if that is true.

Any pointers would be great
Old 10-22-2022, 03:34 PM

Avoid passport office. Go to service canada. You will need a travel plan in order to get it in 21 days.

Print out paperwork and have it filled out correctly ahead of time. Have your passport photos with you. Take your birth certificate if you've never had one before
Old 10-22-2022, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Avoid passport office. Go to service canada. You will need a travel plan in order to get it in 21 days.

Print out paperwork and have it filled out correctly ahead of time. Have your passport photos with you. Take your birth certificate if you've never had one before
For a travel plan is that just proof of a up coming trip etc?

Yes I have never had one before.
Old 10-22-2022, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
For a travel plan is that just proof of a up coming trip etc?

Yes I have never had one before.
Yes, an upcoming trip if you want it within 21 days. I was driving to Oregon in august for a sheep hunt. I was given a sheet of paper and just wrote down the details of journey and reason for going. If you are flying you can use your ticket as proof.
I went to service canada in Red Deer. In and out pretty quick. Seemed a better option than driving to calgary and standing in line for a day. Had passport in a couple weeks
Old 10-22-2022, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Yes, an upcoming trip if you want it within 21 days. I was driving to Oregon in august for a sheep hunt. I was given a sheet of paper and just wrote down the details of journey and reason for going. If you are flying you can use your ticket as proof.
I went to service canada in Red Deer. In and out pretty quick. Seemed a better option than driving to calgary and standing in line for a day. Had passport in a couple weeks
That definitely sounds better. Our trip is not within 21 days but things change quick. My daughters travelling alot especially starting January 2023 and I would like to make some of the trips especially when she competes in Vegas lol
Old 10-22-2022, 04:37 PM

just tell them you need the passport in order to book the co petition and then find a competition

I know they ask the other way around but tell them u don’t want to lose the entry fee and hotel monies
Old 10-22-2022, 04:37 PM

Not sure if it works the same way for new passport, but about 7 years ago, I renewed my passport in Edmonton and picked it up the next day. There are extra fees and some proof of travel, if I recall correctly, is required. That passport (10-year) cost me over $1,000 with fees, the gas, hotel stay, and other related expenses.

That was done at a Passport Office, I believe. I did spend a couple of hours in line, if I remember correctly.
Old 10-22-2022, 07:21 PM

Mine and my wife’s expired thru Covid. Just filled out a new application with all the proper info and pictures. Wife went into service Canada and filed them. Had the new passports in 14 days. No proof of up coming trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2022, 10:01 PM

Mailed the passport application for my kid on Oct 3rd. Had a passport show up in the mail Oct 19. I did not expect that sort of turn around.
Old 10-22-2022, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
Mailed the passport application for my kid on Oct 3rd. Had a passport show up in the mail Oct 19. I did not expect that sort of turn around.
I heard they hired a large number of people to decrease the backlog. It’s pretty simple. Lots of unspent savings during covid. When travel became a reality, thousands and thousands had cabin fever. Makes sense.
Old 10-22-2022, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I heard they hired a large number of people to decrease the backlog. It’s pretty simple. Lots of unspent savings during covid. When travel became a reality, thousands and thousands had cabin fever. Makes sense.
Nice to see them catching up. This summer is was around 40 days
Old 10-22-2022, 10:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
Sounds great.
I need passport asap for employment.
Ill apply tomorrow.
Old 10-23-2022, 08:32 AM

Go on line and fill out all the paper work then bring it in with you . I just did all mine this week . If your old one is less than 15 years old ,a lot less paper work and goes threw faster . I went to Service Canada early on 50 st and 130 ave in the morning and there was a long line up . then returned at 3 pm and i was in and out in 45 mins .
Old 10-23-2022, 09:42 AM

I can't confirm this will work for a new passport but a co-worker of mine managed to skirt the system and fast track his renewal. He was required to provide proof of travel to rush his renewal so he purchased a plane ticket with West Jet to England. He paid the extra on the ticket for cancellation insurance and once the passport office had his info for proof of travel, he simply canceled his trip. The whole process was complete in three days and the full refund was back on his credit card.
Old 10-23-2022, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacisaac View Post
I can't confirm this will work for a new passport but a co-worker of mine managed to skirt the system and fast track his renewal. He was required to provide proof of travel to rush his renewal so he purchased a plane ticket with West Jet to England. He paid the extra on the ticket for cancellation insurance and once the passport office had his info for proof of travel, he simply canceled his trip. The whole process was complete in three days and the full refund was back on his credit card.

What was the rush if he wasn’t going anywhere?

Old 10-23-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweld View Post

He does intend to travel with his family in the next few months. Seeing how others have had their documentation tied up for 6 months or more, the hope was to have everything ready ahead of time.
Old 10-23-2022, 12:11 PM

^ It’s not working around the system, but the system, haha. Like I wrote above, I had mine done in less than 24 hours: dropped off the paperwork on Thursday (lets say) afternoon and picked up the passport on Friday afternoon from the same office in Edmonton.

https://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/tbsc...=4601&lang=eng

Passport processing times and service standards:

- In 20 business days, plus mailing time: Apply by walk-in or by appointment at any Service Canada Centre or by mail. Some locations are seeing high demand for appointments. Appointment availability may vary. To book an appointment, please visit eServiceCanada.
- In 10 business days, plus mailing time: Apply by walk-in or by appointment at a passport office or a Service Canada Centre that offers 10-day processing.
Some locations are seeing high demand for appointments. Appointment availability may vary. To book an appointment, please visit eServiceCanada.
- In 2 to 9 business days: Please visit a passport office that offers express pick-up service. Proof of travel or need is required.
- By the end of the next business day: Please visit a passport office that offers urgent pick-up service. Proof of travel or need is required.

Fees vary based on the service request.

Depends on how urgently you need it and how much you are willing to pay. The express service is more expensive.
Old 10-23-2022, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweld View Post

Our closest trip is January, And random competitions always pop up so I want to be ready and able to go with her if I can, thats the rush