Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchief View Post
we see them all the time around Sundre, they like old growth forests. I have stood under a large spruce tree on my deck at dusk and like clock work, they would fly and land right beside me and then raid the bird feeder.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
>>
Neat pictures of the clan! Excellent.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
How about flying fish? Any of those in Ab?
Yes.
They jump out of the water and fly past me laughing when I'm fishing.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:10 PM

The next time you are hoofing it through the bush watch for woodpecker holes.
When you see one, give the tree a kick or whack it with a branch. Often you will get a little head poking out and looking at you. The flying squirrels nest in them. Used to do this when we were teens birding and looking for saw whet and barred owls. Mostly east of Sherwood Park long before the area was built up.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokajoe View Post
The next time you are hoofing it through the bush watch for woodpecker holes.
When you see one, give the tree a kick or whack it with a branch. Often you will get a little head poking out and looking at you. The flying squirrels nest in them. Used to do this when we were teens birding and looking for saw whet and barred owls. Mostly east of Sherwood Park long before the area was built up.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
This is very cool. I'm a walking hunter for the most part, primarily North of Edson and North and east of Slave Lake, and I take my time in the bush. Like to think I'm a pretty observant guy but until yesterday...nada. Will be watching for something different now, maybe little runways and landing strips. Hope I get to see one.
Sounds like we are hunting in the same manner, and in some of the same areas. Maybe you are the fellow whose footprints I find on some of "my" ridges , not too many people making tracks that far off the trail these days. Besides the hunting I do as much exploring on snowshoes as I can in the winter, generally on the north slopes of the Swan Hills.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Sounds like we are hunting in the same manner, and in some of the same areas. Maybe you are the fellow whose footprints I find on some of "my" ridges , not too many people making tracks that far off the trail these days. Besides the hunting I do as much exploring on snowshoes as I can in the winter, generally on the north slopes of the Swan Hills.

If you see grizz tracks on top of the human then it could be me. Happened twice last season. Kind of unnerving to see them on top of the ones you made going in, when you're going out. Especially when you park a size 11 Sorel beside one and theirs is bigger.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:20 AM

When they land on a tree beside you, they give you a heck of start! It's like someone just threw a wet pancake on the trunk - thwack! They pause for a second, and then quickly shoot up the tree. Cool little buggers!
Old 05-28-2019, 09:12 AM
Shooting Xs

Rocket J."Rocky" Squirrel.....for the old folks.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
Rocket J."Rocky" Squirrel.....for the old folks.
Damn I must be old because I remember Rocky and Bullwinkle

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2019, 10:28 AM

They are fine unless they find a way into your place. We have a log cabin in the east kootenays and were sitting on the deck at dusk one evening when a buddy said a bat just flew off your roof. We all watched as 7 of the little buggars glided off the peak of my roof 35 feet up into the surrounding cedar forest. Upon further inspection we found a small hole beside the ridge beam they were using to access the space between the roof and vaulted ceiling. That was one of many holes they had chewed into various areas around the roof. We are seasonal and the last straw was when we found they had made a nest in our bed . I live trapped on our deck and relocated at least twenty over the next several months and had two different roofers come in and patch access points. They are cute but relentless. We now leave a radio blasting CBC talk while not there and am happy to say we've been free of Rocky for a couple years now.