Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2012, 06:46 PM

Default Any Creative Yard Advice?

Hey folks. I'm rather stumped here and could use some suggestions.

This ~400 square foot section of my yard takes a beating and Mrs Tree is sick of dirt/mud getting tracked into the house, not to mention it looks terrible.

I've re-sodded it three times now, but with the spruce trees, kids and dog it really doesn't stand much of a chance. They have developed a nice little track for their bikes as well.

Also, that piece of plywood is a hinged cover for a framed in and lined sandbox. Needless to say that this has turned into 'ground zero' for all the kids in the neighbourhood. The upside is that I usually manage to get a few drinks into the soccer Mom crowd when they're over, so there really is no end to the fun.

The latest plan was to install an 'astro turf' like product I found. The quality is unbelievable, and even from a couple feet away it is difficult to tell it's fake.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...eNoq9EPg8Un4ag

However, when the quote came tonight I nearly fell over! $9-$11/ft2 installed means this little area would cost almost $5000!! So that ain't gonna happen.

Plan number one at the moment is to try and source some cheaper material to create a synthetic 'lawn'. Unfortunately, the cheap stuff looks just that...cheap. May as well toss in a few garden gnomes and a flock of pink flamingos while we're at it.

Plan number two is to install a small path of paving stones to serve as a bit of a race track for all the bicycles and re-sod yet again.

Any thoughts? (Other than paint the fence! )

Thanks,
Tree

Old 04-24-2012, 06:50 PM

Patio blocks would look really nice if the tree roots wouldn't disturb them by pushing them up etc??...nice little patio set too perhaps??
Old 04-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Gone Hunting

My professional opinion would be to call somebody who knew something about tree removal and get the spruce trees out of there...please forward details for consultation billing
Thanks, Redfrog
Old 04-24-2012, 06:54 PM

Get rid of trees, install swimming pool, have drinks with scantily clad soccer moms.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:56 PM

[QUOTE=TreeGuy;1409605] The upside is that I usually manage to get a few drinks into the soccer Mom crowd when they're over, so there really is no end to the fun.

Sounds like you should definitely keep the sandbox or maybe even make it bigger!
Kidding aside, what if you included the bare areas under the trees into the flower bed that's behind it. A bit of edging and some mulch or chips from the arborists you used to work with might be a quick cheap fix. And the sand might end up falling into the chips before the kids can get it in the house.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:56 PM

Default Get rid that green thing in the middle

And string up a hammock!
Buy your kids an Xbox.

Win win.

Um... I gotta ask.. Is mrs Tree around when your trying to ply the soccer moms with drink?...... Just askin...
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 04-24-2012, 06:57 PM

X 2 for getting a professional to remove the tree's; but then place an old Studebaker there with the hood and trunk removed and then plant poplar trees to grow from the engine bay as well as from the trunk where you cut a hole in the bottom. You can also put a Fargo truck in the back corner and plant raspberry bushes to completely engulf it.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:57 PM

Just an idea...

Old 04-24-2012, 06:59 PM

Default Arachnosiac

Posted pictures of a rattler den.

If you installed one it would end the heavy traffic on that end of the yard and keep the tipsy scantily clad soccer moms on the deck with you!!
Old 04-24-2012, 07:00 PM

If your kids are of the age where they'll be using that area for the foreseeable future maybe look into some sort of playground surfacing. A mulch of some sort maybe, or that rubberized material that they seem to be using a lot more nowadays on the playgrounds. Between the trees hogging all the nutrients, and the constant traffic flow, grass may have a continually hard time taking up residence. Granted, I'm no expert, just thinking out loud.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:01 PM

Oh yeah, and paint your fence .
Old 04-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Gone Hunting

See????...you just knew you would get good advice here!!!!
Old 04-24-2012, 07:04 PM

I'm not getting rid of the trees. We face south. The next door neighbour doesn't have any and their house gets incredibly hot in the summer. That and well, the magpies like to sit there.

A mass paving stone project would be impossible as well due to the roots.

I do like the pool suggestion, however at this point in time my pool is much like Darius likes his women....inflatable.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:13 PM
AvayaAce

How about a little golf? sip a few Mojitos and never lose your ball
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C3517890_601_22[1].jpg (26.9 KB, 48 views)
Old 04-24-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post

Um... I gotta ask.. Is mrs Tree around when your trying to ply the soccer moms with drink?...... Just askin...
Heck.....sometimes they even start without me.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:21 PM

Sculptures,that's what the yard needs...lol

Old 04-24-2012, 07:26 PM

You need to change your avatar to fit your mojo!

In that case......

Hot tub!

Only way to go!

I hear you can buy ones with beer fridges built into/beside them.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 04-24-2012, 07:28 PM

I would personally do a treated wood patio if I was to keep the trees and sandbox. Build around all of them and extend the patio from the concrete up to the end of the worn out lawn. Then, when the kids have outgrown the sandbox, I'd plan for the next project. If you built it yourself, it wouldn't hit the wallet very hard.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:29 PM

Sonny, short of the teeth, that's probably what david suziki believes elizabeth may looks like.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_dave View Post
I would personally do a treated wood patio if I was to keep the trees and sandbox. Build around all of them and extend the patio from the concrete up to the end of the worn out lawn. Then, when the kids have outgrown the sandbox, I'd plan for the next project. If you built it yourself, it wouldn't hit the wallet very hard.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Probably not this year, but if I go that route there'll sure to be a ramp on it for the day you're here for a beer.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Banned

Did it up... get rid of the trees extend the patio a couple more feet and plant some Rhododendrons.
They grow high and bushy and... the soccer moms will love em.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:59 PM

Default eco-flex "flexi grid soil stabilization rubber tile "

Treeguy.... I have not installed this but I have considered this product for a long time and we are likely to install it this summer. I have three dogs and between digging to graze on the grass roots and just running and playing the yard looks like a war zone . When it snows /rains mud is the biggest problem for our situation . As you educate yourself of this product you may discover it may be right for your application. The end result is a " grass pavement " . Grass root protection is the biggest advantage I see with this product with eliminating most of the high traffic and mud issues. I hope this gives your family an option to consider . It also does not hurt that they are an Alberta company , close at hand . You could get really creative and build a yard border "race track " with their other tile products . I have not requested a quote yet so I do not know $/sq. foot to pass along . And when the kiddlings take a spill , it is rubber to absorb /reduce the impact .Safety first( or third ) !( one thing you may want to consider in your decision is if you put down some sort of loose media..the neighbors cats are going to use it as a litter box at some point...but they not be of concern in your case )
www.eco-flex.com

Last edited by cover; 04-24-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:59 PM

[QUOTE=kmacisaac;1409620]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
The upside is that I usually manage to get a few drinks into the soccer Mom crowd when they're over, so there really is no end to the fun.

Sounds like you should definitely keep the sandbox or maybe even make it bigger!
Add water = mud wrassiling !

Build grand stands: your buddies will want to watch !
Huge cooler for bevies !
BBQ !
Make week ends an event !
Old 04-24-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Probably not this year, but if I go that route there'll sure to be a ramp on it for the day you're here for a beer.
Thanks man.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:23 PM

I put down sand and then pavers and all I created was a nursery for ants. Every paver I picked up had lots of ants underneath. Once the ants started coming into the house I got rid of the pavers and put down concrete. If you want to go cheap just put down some landscape membrane and then put crushed rock on top. You can go down to Burnco and haul the crushed rock yourself.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:46 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Smile

Hey you need a kids playhouse there and build it like a tree fort for the kids to play in. They would get hours of enjoyment out of it
Old 04-24-2012, 08:47 PM

how about putting 7-9 bee hives there?....
Old 04-24-2012, 10:15 PM
Gone Hunting

There are a number of options that come to mind.

First. To retain it as a play area. Three or four inches of sand would eliminate the dirt getting tracked into the house and make it nicer for the kids. But it would also mean sand getting tracked into the house. Not as dirty, but possibly more annoying.

My sister had the same problem with a couple of Pine trees in her yard.
She made a rock fence a foot tall around the bare area, filled it with sand and places some flowers in pots in the sand. It looks good and is low maintenance.

Another option would be bark mulch. Some sort of border would be best to contain the bark chips.

One could also use paving bricks to make a patio type area. A layer of sand as a base would level the area and provide a cushion to protect any roots.

Last, there are grasses that thrive in dry shady areas. Or a ground cover plant like Bushmans Confetti or Mercury Bay Weed.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
Hey you need a kids playhouse there and build it like a tree fort for the kids to play in. They would get hours of enjoyment out of it
Plus the soccer moms (and Ms. Tree) will think you are amazing
Old 04-24-2012, 11:26 PM
Gone Hunting

I've got more pics, but this will give you an idea of pavers etc.

I'll be in Calgary, and I could stop by to have a look. It's what I do/did.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand