Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-20-2021, 12:36 PM

Default Wolf baiting tips

Alright, first year I'm going to put the time in to set a wolf bait out. I know the regs but want to hear some tips you guys have learned over the years. Best places to set up, etc.
Old 11-20-2021, 02:15 PM

River valley where you can have a good vantage point from above.Never baited them but have seen them on a elk carcass I left after taking the meat.
Old 11-20-2021, 02:35 PM

I would say make sure it is in an area you know to hold wolves, and put it in a place where they will feel safe getting to. Find an open-ish area to place the bait so they don't have to be right on the baitfor you to get a shot and that if they move the bait you can still see it. Try to use something that will make the bait stay in position or else they might move it to the bush. Make a good spot for you to sit in that you can reach easily, quietly and not let the wolves wind you. If possible, make a trail to be able to restock the bait easily.
Old 11-20-2021, 09:43 PM

As mentioned you need to ensure there are wolves in the area. Keep in mind, a new bait station may take time for animals to get used to. I would say look far a good spot you can do it year after year. They almost get accustomed to it if it is there more than a couple years. I agree you need a decent open spot, that you can restock regularly. I would suggest that your bait trail and the trail to your blind are separated. One thing I have found is to keep your spot quiet, and hard for other people to find, nothing worse than putting in all the work, then have someone find it and bleach your bait, believe me, it sucks….

One other thing, would be best to recruit a buddy or two that are tight lipped to help out, as it is a ton of work. That way you can keep the bait stocked up and keep them coming in regularly.

Good luck.
Old 11-20-2021, 09:48 PM
Banned

Be prepared to look through a lot of trail cam pics of raven and magpies
Old 11-21-2021, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Be prepared to look through a lot of trail cam pics of raven and magpies
Most daylight pictures = birds lol
Old 11-21-2021, 09:03 AM

I know a guy that used to bait wolves years ago and he would always freeze his bait into water in large tubs like a rubbermaid. Then dump the big frozen popsicle out in a frozen block. Makes them work for it and stick around longer, also they can’t drag it away as easily.

I also have checked wolf traps with a guy a few times and the process he goes through for sterilizing his traps is interesting. He boils them for a while then they go straight into a sealed sterilized container then they are taken to where he sets them then it’s rubber gloves out of the sealed container to set. Nothing is touched by your bare hands as they are very keen and leery of any human scent.
Old 11-21-2021, 10:13 AM

As mentioned you need to ensure there are wolves in the area.

And timing can mean a lot, here today, miles and miles away tomorrow. My feeling is, extremely cold weather is a plus.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-21-2021, 10:21 AM

Default Popcan Wolves AO search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Alright, first year I'm going to put the time in to set a wolf bait out. I know the regs but want to hear some tips you guys have learned over the years. Best places to set up, etc.

Use the AO search function and type in "popcan wolves"-what shows up is a masterclass on hunting wolves.

Some of the video links are broken, but the information that's remains is golden, here's a start: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...=popcan+wolves

Creeky....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 11-21-2021, 11:13 AM

You might try the "Trapping Forum" Most trappers have lot of knowledge on setting up bait sites for wolves. Last I would attend a wolf trapping course by Alberta Trappers Association" in Westlock. Your 'Learning Curve" will be much shorter.
Old 11-21-2021, 12:06 PM

Haven't hunted wolves for years ,but when i did i would get my hands on couple whole beaver and drag them slowly behind my snow machine. Always coming back and forth like the center of a cut pie to one specific spot which would be the center of the pie or center point to shoot at. On a ground hole nail that beaver in with 8 inch nail then add your water to freeze it in.

Few spruce branches and a decent large tree to cover up your body image and shot from there. Check your forecast on the wind ,sometimes it shows the same wind for a long period. If you got a good blind then use it,i prefer no blind, that's just me i hate even a fishing tent or shack unless it's drops below -20.

I would sometimes dig a hole in the ice or ground and freeze the beaver in that hole with only a couple inches sticking out or the frozen chunks the odd time.

Just go slow and let them beavers roll behind your machine and avoid getting off as least as possible.

If there are wolves around which you will cut the odd track traveling just sit and wait back at the middle of your pie hole where all your snow machine tracks meet or center of the x, i also had another two spots or more to sit if the wind is different that day. Which ever clothing you wear for handling your bait ,wear that same stuff .

Not sure of the laws or regs out your way so double check. Always know your background where you shoot or what is beyond it. First thing i do is make sure wolves are around. There are other things you can drag, just use what will attract a wolf's nose.

I've used drags then nailed them just high enough in a tree so it won't get removed.

GOOD LUCK
JD
Old 11-21-2021, 03:09 PM

Dont even worry about trying to bait them.
Track and/or call you will learn a bunch more about them and other wildlife
this way.
Old 11-21-2021, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
Dont even worry about trying to bait them.
Track and/or call you will learn a bunch more about them and other wildlife
this way.
I've done the calling and stumble on one sleeping thing, even spot and stalk, but tracking them is a waste of time because they travel so much, baiting is probably the most productive if there is a high enough concentration in the area and you're willing to put in the work, which can be considerable.

Grizz

Old 11-21-2021, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
I've done the calling and stumble on one sleeping thing, even spot and stalk, but tracking them is a waste of time because they travel so much, baiting is probably the most productive if there is a high enough concentration in the area and you're willing to put in the work, which can be considerable.

Grizz
Tracked them down quit a few times, and as said you will learn a lot while doing it, and the more you learn the better for other times and situations.
Sitting looking at a pile of meat doesnt teach you much IMO but to each there own.
Old 11-22-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Tracked them down quit a few times, and as said you will learn a lot while doing it, and the more you learn the better for other times and situations.
Sitting looking at a pile of meat doesnt teach you much IMO but to each there own.
It's not about education, but killing a wolf, you're talking to the guy who claims to have been "attacked" by one.

Grizz

Old 11-22-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
It's not about education, but killing a wolf, you're talking to the guy who claims to have been "attacked" by one.

Grizz
Your choice to shoot or not once you see them as is what method to find them.
If you dont think one should learn about what they hunt, your choice a well.
Tracking them works.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Tracking them works.
Tracking works no to ways about it ,but i find in mid winter with 2 feet of soft snow i like to go the route that is the most pleasant.

Very few guys track wolves in deep snow ,i can cover a 10 miles radius and have that wolf come to me on a hard packed trail which he will follow instead of deep snow ,there smart. I hunted them for forty years in many ways ,so i never knock anyone who has a method.

Even when i logged for decades i rarely walk in deep snow all day, i used my machinery to pack trails for me, just had to step off the trail to cut and when he comes for the next load packs me another trail .It's about using your brains to achieve the most output in size and keep your body in top shape.

No one is knocking your method so why chirp about there deal ,it's all good info.

CHEERS
JD
Old 11-22-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Tracking them works.
Let me put it this way. Have you ever seen a pack on the move ? They're not like an ungulate, tied to one area, they have to cover a lot of ground to survive and they do it very well. You'd have to run to gain on on them . Much more productive to out think them.

Grizz

Old 11-22-2021, 01:24 PM

You'll need luck, a lot of it. From my trapping experience, wolves are here today, gone tomorrow, see you in a month type of animals. Timing is everything.
Old 11-22-2021, 04:58 PM

Trapping Inc did an episode with Morley Smith. The guy knows his stuff and is one of the the best around. You should be able to find that episode on YouTube. Not sure if you are snaring or shooting but he had alot of insight that can be applied to both.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Let me put it this way. Have you ever seen a pack on the move ? They're not like an ungulate, tied to one area, they have to cover a lot of ground to survive and they do it very well. You'd have to run to gain on on them . Much more productive to out think them.

Grizz
yes have seen packs on the move. No need to run unless when you bump them and have to move quick for a shot. Wolves have to stop to rest. As said learn about them then easier to try to out think them.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Tracking works no to ways about it ,but i find in mid winter with 2 feet of soft snow i like to go the route that is the most pleasant.

Very few guys track wolves in deep snow ,i can cover a 10 miles radius and have that wolf come to me on a hard packed trail which he will follow instead of deep snow ,there smart. I hunted them for forty years in many ways ,so i never knock anyone who has a method.

Even when i logged for decades i rarely walk in deep snow all day, i used my machinery to pack trails for me, just had to step off the trail to cut and when he comes for the next load packs me another trail .It's about using your brains to achieve the most output in size and keep your body in top shape.

No one is knocking your method so why chirp about there deal ,it's all good info.

CHEERS
JD
not chirping anyone, as said there choice.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:02 AM

Default wolves

I have tracked wolves to their beds. When they have a full belly they sleep like a log. Quite exciting when they come flying out of their snow beds all around you. Tracks must be fresh morning tracks, evening hunting tracks will take you on a very long walk.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I have tracked wolves to their beds. When they have a full belly they sleep like a log. Quite exciting when they come flying out of their snow beds all around you. Tracks must be fresh morning tracks, evening hunting tracks will take you on a very long walk.
yes done the same and when this happens you can quit often call some back
in even after one has been shot.