Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 10:23 AM
Banned

Default Telus damaged my truck

Telus is installing fiber optic lines and because I live in a crescent with an island park across from my house they decided to have their lay down yard on the street in front of my yard. They have piles of gravel and load trucks with backhoes and bobcats. I went to my cabin for the weekend and left my truck parked in front of my house. Because I have a few vehicles I don't always use my truck so when I came home from work last Tuesday I noticed a scratch in the bumper of my truck and it was obvious how it got there. You could tell it was hit at a 90° angle from my truck. So I get the supervisor of the ****show over and show him what's going on. His response..... "You can't prove it was us, we don't even drive there" Which comes as no surprise. I told him he's right, I can't prove it, but I guarantee 100% that if they didn't have their dam gravel pile in front of my house that I wouldn't have a scratch across my bumper.

My house is the only house in the crescent that has an attached garage and driveway in the front. My boat and trailer are in my driveway so I have to park on the street, yet they pile the gravel right in front of my house!

Here's some pics

After he told me they don't even drive in front of my vehicles I took this pic

They were supposed to call me by last Thursday but haven't made any attempts to get a hold of me.

What a douchebag outfit!
Old 09-26-2017, 10:32 AM

Probably not Telus as I'm pretty sure that they don't do any excavation, directional drilling etc. When they did my area last summer, there was nary a Telus employee to be found to complain to. That being said there were several contractors, sub-contractors and sub-sub contractors (Telus authorized decals on trucks). Some of the contractors trying to remediate the ground disturbance in the area did a pretty poor job, but did come back this summer to fix a few thing up.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
Probably not Telus as I'm pretty sure that they don't do any excavation, directional drilling etc. When they did my area last summer, there was nary a Telus employee to be found to complain to. That being said there were several contractors, sub-contractors and sub-sub contractors (Telus authorized decals on trucks). Some of the contractors trying to remediate the ground disturbance in the area did a pretty poor job, but did come back this summer to fix a few thing up.
I spent over an hour on the phone with Telus to report the incident, they then told me to contact the city as it was the city who approved the site as a lay down area, so then I called the city who said it was not their problem and to contact telus again, so I did. The second time I contacted telus they said a rep would contact me in 24-48 hours to discuss it with me. That was about 168 hours ago.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:52 AM

You're spinning your wheels....

Notify your insurance and make a claim, if you desire.

Notify Telus in writing of the claim, express the direction you will take, insurance claim, small claims court, or offer to settle.

Spending hours on the phone with people that can't do squat is pointless....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 09-26-2017, 10:56 AM

Good luck with Telus... everytime I called them, it was 45 min on hold, and when I finally got to talk to someone, it wasn't their responsibility, so on hold again and again and again, and you're starting from scratch every time you call them. I wish you luck in getting your pound of flesh from them.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:00 AM
Banned

I cancelled my land line a couple years ago and switched my cell server earlier this year as well. I will never be a telus customer again if I can avoid it.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:02 AM

Thumbs up This . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
You're spinning your wheels....

Notify your insurance and make a claim, if you desire.

Notify Telus in writing of the claim, express the direction you will take, insurance claim, small claims court, or offer to settle.

Spending hours on the phone with people that can't do squat is pointless....
He should have done that ^ from the get-go.

The insurance co will fix the truck, and then they (the insurance co) will go after Telus to recover their costs.

This is one of the main reasons we have insurance
Old 09-26-2017, 11:15 AM

I'm not siding with Telus (as I hate them), but you can't prove who it was. End of story. Yes circumstances show it was probably them. But maybe it wasn't.

Insurance will fix it, but it will be a no-fault claim, and shouldn't cost you anything.

Going after Telus, you won't get anywhere.

FTR. This is the exact reason I always make sure my vehicles on are my driveway (or in the garage). My idiot neighbor across from me somehow managed to back into a bright red hockey net, even though he was looking back (yes, I was watching him).
Old 09-26-2017, 11:17 AM

I feel for you. Tremendously annoying dealing with lying two faced Azzhats. That said, take some polishing compound and a buffer to the bumper, scratch will be gone in less time than it takes to get off hold with the idiots at Telus.

Go to the Cops and file a hit and run report. Won't really help but it makes a guy feel better.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:20 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I feel for you. Tremendously annoying dealing with lying two faced Azzhats. That said, take some polishing compound and a buffer to the bumper, scratch will be gone in less time than it takes to get off hold with the idiots at Telus.

Go to the Cops and file a hit and run report. Won't really help but it makes a guy feel better.
Hasn't he wasted enough time already?!
Old 09-26-2017, 11:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
I'm not siding with Telus (as I hate them), but you can't prove who it was. End of story. Yes circumstances show it was probably them. But maybe it wasn't.

Insurance will fix it, but it will be a no-fault claim, and shouldn't cost you anything.

Going after Telus, you won't get anywhere.

FTR. This is the exact reason I always make sure my vehicles on are my driveway (or in the garage). My idiot neighbor across from me somehow managed to back into a bright red hockey net, even though he was looking back (yes, I was watching him).

There is absolutely no doubt it was them, but I know without a witness I'm hooped.

I don't want to go the insurance route, I had a cube van do a hit and run on me last year (same truck), I had 2 witnesses for that one but neither could get a plate number. That one did a lot of damage so I had to go through insurance, and coincidentally my insurance went up this year...

I know telus won't do squat about it, but I hope this thread has some type of a negative effect on their business.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:41 AM
Banned

And if anyone has fibre optic lines going in their neighborhood DONT LET THEM SET UP IN YOUR AREA! Make them set up their lay down area in a non-residential area.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:05 PM
Banned

Actually it looks like they placed the gravel on the opposite side of your property so you can park your truck on your side.

I think stating they "damaged" your truck when you have a small surface scratch on a bumper that looks to have hundreds of nicks on it is a real stretch. If it really bothers you take a black felt pen and in about 30 seconds you can fix it.....or take them to court.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Actually it looks like they placed the gravel on the opposite side of your property so you can park your truck on your side.

I think stating they "damaged" your truck when you have a small surface scratch on a bumper that looks to have hundreds of nicks on it is a real stretch. If it really bothers you take a black felt pen and in about 30 seconds you can fix it.....or take them to court.
Can you see in the picture that they have the gravel spread so far across the road that a vehicle could not fit through without hitting my truck or running over the pile? Also, the "small surface scratch" is dented into my bumper, well beyond a sharpie fix. There are no nicks in it, it's a scrape from being swiped. The other "nicks" you see in the bumper are bugs, and no bugs are in the scratch.

Do you work for telus?
Old 09-26-2017, 12:14 PM
Banned

Count me in the 'call your insurance company' camp.
In a court of law...you have no proof...none whatsoever.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Count me in the 'call your insurance company' camp.
In a court of law...you have no proof...none whatsoever.
I fully realize this, I stated that to the supervisor that I spoke with as well. I'm posting this to expose them and to warn others not to let them set up anywhere near your home. When they damage your property they will deny it was even possible unless you have a witness. So unless you have nothing better to do all day than supervise them, I suggest you don't let them near your property.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:24 PM

Dash Camera. Blackvue 750 with front and rear cams will record parking lot incidents.

Proof is in the video.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-26-2017, 12:35 PM

You inspect your vehicle completely whenever you come out from the grocery store or go get fuel, etc?
Realistically that scratch could have happened days, weeks or months ago. Obviously you knew what Telus was up to and going to be using somewhat heavy equipment to do the job. Maybe you should take some responsibility in giving them extra room to get the job done without the potential of damaging your vehicle. Your pick up does look really close to where their trying to work. Just about looks like your trying to be difficult!! I’d sure be moving my vehicle out of the way for that reason just like I would when streets are being cleaned or plowed.
Think about it!! And in no way do I have anything to do with Telus what so ever. It just makes sense! It’s a good lesson cause it’s going to happen again..
Old 09-26-2017, 12:38 PM

As many others have stated without proof you are spinning your wheels. However I don’t see how Telus damaged your truck. One of Telus’s contractors did the damage. Going after Telus for this would be the same as if you had someone in to fix something in your house that did damage to your neighbors, and then your neighbors come after you. Your problem isn’t really with Telus, but with a contractor of some sort.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt22 View Post
As many others have stated without proof you are spinning your wheels. However I don’t see how Telus damaged your truck. One of Telus’s contractors did the damage. Going after Telus for this would be the same as if you had someone in to fix something in your house that did damage to your neighbors, and then your neighbors come after you. Your problem isn’t really with Telus, but with a contractor of some sort.
Or any of a how many vehicles that drive through your neighborhood every day.
Sorry for your scratch...but if I was supervisor I would have told you exactly the same thing...bring me some proof. For all he know the scratch happened some other time any your just thinking..'hey, I'll get Telus to pay, they got lots of money'.
And when it comes down to brass tacks...you actually have no proof whatsoever Telus (or one of their people) did it.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
There is absolutely no doubt it was them, but I know without a witness I'm hooped.
Sorry Kurt. But there's lots of doubt. you don't know when they set up. you don't know that there wasn't another vehicle (not related to the Telus work) in the area prior to telus. You don't know that it didn't happen in another location.

There's three sides to every story..

I'm not trying to be an ass, but that's the reality of it, unless you have proof, you're SOL.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:18 PM

Hey Kurt,

Just some advice - anytime and every time you make a claim through insurance your base premiums will go up. There is no such thing as "doesn't cost you anything". It costs your insurance company to pay the claim, imitate action on your behalf and recover the damages all the while they are paying interest on the original amount paid out. The people doing this work also collect a paycheck. It may not come right away, but next renewal cycle, maybe this year, maybe next, that base coverage rate goes up.

Any claim = higher insurance rates.

If it's something you can handle on your own, or live with, that's my best advice.

Best of luck trying to get anything out of the city, Telus or any other big company without smoking gun proof.

Last year, a bus cut across a solid line (where gravel had built up) and the bus shot up a rock and hit my windshield. Got the bus number, the time it happened, a picture of me behind the bus like 30 seconds later, some pictures of the crack, and a copy of my vehicle bill of sale. The vehicle was 2 days old and brand new.

Guess what ........ not a dime yet from the city. It's almost 12 months since reporting it.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
You inspect your vehicle completely whenever you come out from the grocery store or go get fuel, etc?
Realistically that scratch could have happened days, weeks or months ago. Obviously you knew what Telus was up to and going to be using somewhat heavy equipment to do the job. Maybe you should take some responsibility in giving them extra room to get the job done without the potential of damaging your vehicle. Your pick up does look really close to where their trying to work. Just about looks like your trying to be difficult!! I’d sure be moving my vehicle out of the way for that reason just like I would when streets are being cleaned or plowed.
Think about it!! And in no way do I have anything to do with Telus what so ever. It just makes sense! It’s a good lesson cause it’s going to happen again..
First off, the damage happened while my truck was parked right where it is in the picture, the dust was swiped off where the scratch is, as well as the bug splats. Secondly it's obvious it was swiped at a near 90° angle to my vehicle. Like I stated I don't often use my truck and the last time I used it was on the previous Thursday. It sat in the rain for days and then got dusty before it was hit. Lastly, they have piles all along the opposite side of the road for about a 60yd stretch and the piles are constantly being filled and emptied, my driveway is full and the only place I have to park is on the street. I'm the only one on the crescent who doesn't have an alley access driveway. Like hell if I should have to park down the street for a month while they work in our neighborhood. I'm not trying to be difficult, I was actually the exact opposite. When my sons school bus had to back out of the crescent, something against their policy as a matter of fact, because they wouldn't move out of the way so the bus could pass, I didn't freak out, I just asked the supervisor to pay attention and let the bus pass from now on.

I run a business, I work in the public, so I understand how important it is to work with people.

PS, my pickup truck is right where it should have been, they were just too dam lazy to keep their pile tidy and out of the way.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
Finally a breath of fresh air! Its refreshing to hear a Man step up and think responsibly and take action before something goes sideways, put the lid on the milk BEFORE it spills! Rather than crying about it afterwards! Don't mean to hurt any feelings here, but Barbara Walters isn't on t.v. for those of us who take responsibility for our own actions, and take into account that not everyone is going to be as careful as they probably should be.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:37 PM

http://www.businessinsider.com/un-no...on-camp-2017-3

http://www.dailywire.com/news/16126/...m-hank-berrien

life aint so bad when you start looking around the world. Even with a little scratch on your truck.
Go through insurance or keep the dust on so you don't see it.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGrohms View Post

life aint so bad when you start looking around the world. Even with a little scratch on your truck.
Lol, ya, it's pretty minor in the picture, but it's the lack of accountability, or more so the lack of response that's got me ticked off. They won't stop hassling me to sign up for their business, I'm sure they hound their customers for payment, but can't be bothered to respond to damage cause by their company.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:

That doesn't make what happened here okay, moral relativism isn't the issue. Its that a large corporate entity damaged property that this man worked hard to earn. This issue shouldn't go unattended because life sucks in North Korea.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:59 PM

Not trying to get into a moral reletavism debate just trying to put a different spin on things. Seems here on AO we complain a lot about fluff that we won't remember in 2 days. Carry on.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not trying to get into a moral reletavism debate just trying to put a different spin on things. Seems here on AO we complain a lot about fluff that we won't remember in 2 days. Carry on.
x2
Old 09-26-2017, 02:41 PM

I feel your pain and frustration. I had a similar thing happen about five years ago when the garbage truck backed up into my newly installed rain gutter on our detached garage. No witness and no proof. Who else drives a blue vehicle high enough to damage my gutter?
I was ****ed off but just cut it out and replaced it.
No use in wasting time going after them for nothing. It'll just bug you more.

Looking at the picture you posted, it looks like a lot of that scrape is paint transfer and can be buffed off. Try some acetone or your wife's nail polish remover to remove it. The rest of the shallow scratches can be buffed out by hand with a polishing compound. Anything left after that can be touched up with a paint pen or and actual touch up brush or cup. Amazon sells them.

I know you shouldn't have to do it yourself and somebody else should but it ain't gonna happen.
Closed Thread