Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2017, 10:27 AM

I just read an article that said "American's fought for belief's like: all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

Athletes are using their platform for peaceful protesting, which is something afforded to them right there in First Amendment of the Constitution.

Maybe there is a better time for them to use this platform than during the National Anthem. Maybe that is not a good time. Perhaps they should find a "better, but less effective time" to invoke (maybe not the right word) their Constitutional Rights.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
So after all that. What was he wrong about?

Yes they're patriotic. Take the knee is about police brutality not patriotism. They're kneeling instead of sitting to show respect. I don't think you understand it.

Congrats on your shirt.... did it maybe say quiet?
It was a shock how they reacted, wish I could find it now. Ya wrong word, sorta killed the rant, oh well. They should find another way,time and place.

Last edited by Xbolt7mm; 09-26-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:43 AM

I saw this and though it was funny

I think of a patriot is more of their character than how they treat a song.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:41 PM

Haven't watched much professional sports of any kind in many years. I can find better things to do with that time. I certainly don't watch it to be fed political statements, I can do that elsewhere, all too easily.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
I just read an article that said "American's fought for belief's like: all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

Athletes are using their platform for peaceful protesting, which is something afforded to them right there in First Amendment of the Constitution.

Maybe there is a better time for them to use this platform than during the National Anthem. Maybe that is not a good time. Perhaps they should find a "better, but less effective time" to invoke (maybe not the right word) their Constitutional Rights.
If I hear constitutional right one more time I'm going to puke, and people blame Trump for dividing the nation? That's all you hear every minute of every day, its getting ridiculous. Maybe we do need a good scrap with NK to wake some people up. Trump is bang on, play the game and shut the pie hole! You're getting paid millions to entertain people for a couple hours, not to make a political statement. keep you political views out of it.Period! Religion and politics need to stay out of the work place. The football field, basketball court, ball diamond are also places of work.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:41 PM

https://youtu.be/0ILc6jwNVuk

-Billy Molls
Old 09-26-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk396 View Post
If I hear constitutional right one more time I'm going to puke, and people blame Trump for dividing the nation? That's all you hear every minute of every day, its getting ridiculous. Maybe we do need a good scrap with NK to wake some people up. Trump is bang on, play the game and shut the pie hole! You're getting paid millions to entertain people for a couple hours, not to make a political statement. keep you political views out of it.Period! Religion and politics need to stay out of the work place. The football field, basketball court, ball diamond are also places of work.
^^^^Here, here! Well said!

BW
Old 09-26-2017, 08:20 PM

Question

Quote:
Americans take their constitutional rights pretty seriously. It's a big deal to them, so feel your feelings but those rights are a big part of what that country stands for.

If it bothers you don't watch.

I for one have no issues with it and it's for sure gotten people talking about it. I'd be willing to bet that if Trump had kept his mouth shut most guys here would have no idea it's going on.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
unless you want to argue that they do, by which token I'd own the Calgary Flames,

How embarrassing would that be huh?
Old 09-26-2017, 08:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Snukkle View Post
Should be up to team owner. The athletes are working for them, so if there is policy, it should be followed. Their protest is technically on company time.
Yup ... Nascar's Richard Childress said it right ... any employee protesting can hit the Greyhound !!!
Old 09-26-2017, 08:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
^^^^Here, here! Well said!

BW
Yup !!!
Old 09-26-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Why is it that a group standing up for their rights makes you want to puke? And how is a scrap with NK going to wake people up?

As said before: if you don't like it, you don't have to watch it.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:44 PM
Gone Hunting

Amused am I that there is more chit chat on this site about U.S politics than about ours. Guess that why we have the dog's breakfast we have.

Re all the players taking a knee, what's the big deal? These guys have been personally protesting the flag, cops, and Trump for years.

Oh wait! no they haven't.

Before it was fashionable they busied themselves with drunk driving, dope., assault charges etc. You know, role model kind of stuff.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-26-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
. Religion and politics need to stay out of the work place. The football field, basketball court, ball diamond are also places of work.
Agreed, except one MINOR LITTLE issue here .......

The protest has nothing to do with either religion or politics.

The sad thing is now this has become a political circus.

Last edited by EZM; 09-26-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
Yup ... Nascar's Richard Childress said it right ... any employee protesting can hit the Greyhound !!!
NASCAR??? ............ nevermind

Last edited by EZM; 09-26-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:49 PM

> An aeroplane was about to crash; there were five passengers on board
> but only four parachutes.
>
> The first passenger Holly Madison said, "I have my own reality show
> and I am the smartest and prettiest woman at Playboy, so Americans
> don't want me to die." She took the first parachute and jumped out of
> the plane.
>
> The second passenger John McCain said, "I'm a senator and a decorated
> war hero from an elite navy unit in the United States of America." He
> grabbed the second pack and jumped.
>
> The third passenger, Donald Trump, said, "I am the president of the
> United States, I am the smartest man in our country and I will make
> America great again." So he grabbed the pack next to him and jumped
> out.
>
> The fourth passenger, Billy Graham, said to the fifth passenger, a
> ten year old schoolgirl, "I have lived a full life and served my God
> the best I could. I will sacrifice my life and let you have the last
> parachute."
>
> The little girl said, "That's okay, Mr Graham. There's a parachute
> left for you. The smartest man in America took my schoolbag."

Lesson for today - you are the most powerful man in the world, try to do something useful that brings your country together. Grow up, develop some world perspective and quit acting like a 2 year old. Quit letting every nit wit, Like Kim Jong-un, get your goat.

You could have made the taking a knee into a positive, country unifying issue AND got your message across so much more effectively if you engaged your brain before speaking. Agree with the form of protest or not, for Trump to make this a major deal in the face of the truly huge problems, health care, tax cuts/budget, racial tension, growing State and Municipal bankruptcies, the debt ceiling being breached again,, terrorism, Korea, Russian aggression in the Ukraine, African genocides, the Kurdish vote on separatism, and ISIS to name a few, facing the States and the world is past ludicrous. I used to be a Trump fan but I am losing my respect for him daily.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:

^^this^^

your disrespectful (vets/flag) and on the payroll boys, so just do your job and go protest someplace else.

here's an idea-get all of your shiny selves together outside of work and hold yourselves a press conference!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 09-26-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Amused am I that there is more chit chat on this site about U.S politics than about ours. Guess that why we have the dog's breakfast we have.

Re all the players taking a knee, what's the big deal? These guys have been personally protesting the flag, cops, and Trump for years.

Oh wait! no they haven't.

Before it was fashionable they busied themselves with drunk driving, dope., assault charges etc. You know, role model kind of stuff.
who are "they"? or "these guys"? The black players? or just black people in general?
Old 09-26-2017, 08:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
NASCAR ......... perfect on so many levels ........... nevermind
explain ???
Old 09-26-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
Why is it that a group standing up for their rights makes you want to puke? And how is a scrap with NK going to wake people up?

As said before: if you don't like it, you don't have to watch it.
It's the whining of people like you that want to make me puke i should have said, sorry....Raaallllllppppphhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!
Old 09-26-2017, 09:08 PM

Frankly, in order to maintain the moral high ground right now a person should do exactly the opposite of whatever Trump suggests, orders, insinuates, dictates etc.

Trump has been the best thing for the Left that has ever happened. After these four years are over the United States will be lucky to ever see anybody ever elected that uses the word conservative. That will extend Canada too. Trump has made conservative a dirty word with more people than it has ever been before.

Get used to Comrade Trudeau as your leader. The backlash against Trump will extend to domestic politics.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 09-26-2017, 09:10 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
who are "they"? or "these guys"? The black players? or just black people in general?
And who said there are no stupid questions?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-26-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
It's the whining of people like you that want to make me puke i should have said, sorry....Raaallllllppppphhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!
Poor you. Listening to people with differing opinions is tough.

I forgive you, even though you spelled my name wrong.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:35 PM

Its funny how bogged down a nations people can get over something soo silly. Trump is a master of the panty twist. Keeps the attention off real issues like the debt ceiling and other ineffective governance problems down in the usa.

The craziest thing is canadians get bogged down on these distracto issues that come out of the usa. People at work have discussed and debated this one to some extent, adults in a seperate cou try are concerned enough about this topic to actually talk about it,
Old 09-26-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
explain ???
NASCAR is a sport where the overwhelming majority of the drivers have likely never been victims of police brutality, profiling or racism.

I wouldn't expect them to understand, or be compassionate to plights of those people who have endured what they have.

It just doesn't serve to demonstrate any plurality.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
> ...

Lesson for today - you are the most powerful man in the world, try to do something useful that brings your country together. Grow up, develop some world perspective and quit acting like a 2 year old. Quit letting every nit wit, Like Kim Jong-un, get your goat.

You could have made the taking a knee into a positive, country unifying issue AND got your message across so much more effectively if you engaged your brain before speaking. Agree with the form of protest or not, for Trump to make this a major deal in the face of the truly huge problems, health care, tax cuts/budget, racial tension, growing State and Municipal bankruptcies, the debt ceiling being breached again,, terrorism, Korea, Russian aggression in the Ukraine, African genocides, the Kurdish vote on separatism, and ISIS to name a few, facing the States and the world is past ludicrous. I used to be a Trump fan but I am losing my respect for him daily.
I actually disagree. There is no denying he is doing the job he was elected to do. Put America First! He has said it time and time again, unless the issue directly affects the USA they won't get involved. Good! Most of those rest if the issues you mentioned Trump is or has attempted to tackle. You may not agree with his approach, and many don't, but so what. His health care changes are dead, but his tax reform will go on. His attitude towards racial tension is also fair. He is not saying don't protest, he is saying don't disrespect the country that allows you to protest! He has clearly made mistakes, but for the most part only in phrasing. A prime example was mentioned earlier the white supremacist rally where that women was killed. That was handles terribly. But no worse then Obama standing up for BLM after the killing after 5 police. It is just trendy to hate Trump. Whatever he says people will do the opposite. What is not trendy is the fact that 99.99999 of people down there don't give a rats behind what colour you are.

Then we have the Canada... For a variety of reasons I spend a fair bit of time in the USA. Comparing the 2 I can honestly say that racism is much more pronounced in Canada, but we are in denial. Down there I have never been refused service based on skin colour. If I have the cash it is all. There are entire malls in some places that if you are the wrong shade you dare not enter up here.Down there, if a kid can play they make the team regardless of ancestry. A large city close to Vancouver's first 2 rep hockey teams are solely one colour (it isn't white) and have yet to lose by less then 9 goals. The tier 3 team is undefeated. A mosque close to my house is routinely vandalized. Unless it makes the news no one comes to help. Look no further than the stereotypical poaching thread in many Canadian Forums. Like it or not, the first assumption is the person is of the a certain background. Down in the States they just want the person hung!

I am not saying that the States doesn't have problems. But honestly, they are more socio-economical than race based. There are white ghettos, black ghettos, latin ghettos, asian ghettos, but strangely most middle class and higher areas are mixed race!
Old 09-26-2017, 09:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
NASCAR is a sport where the overwhelming majority of the drivers have likely never been victims of police brutality, profiling or racism.

I wouldn't expect them to understand, or be compassionate to plights of those people who have endured what they have.

Thank's !!!

Old 09-26-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
I actually disagree. There is no denying he is doing the job he was elected to do. Put America First! He has said it time and time again, unless the issue directly affects the USA they won't get involved. Good! Most of those rest if the issues you mentioned Trump is or has attempted to tackle. You may not agree with his approach, and many don't, but so what. His health care changes are dead, but his tax reform will go on. His attitude towards racial tension is also fair. He is not saying don't protest, he is saying don't disrespect the country that allows you to protest! He has clearly made mistakes, but for the most part only in phrasing. A prime example was mentioned earlier the white supremacist rally where that women was killed. That was handles terribly. But no worse then Obama standing up for BLM after the killing after 5 police. It is just trendy to hate Trump. Whatever he says people will do the opposite. What is not trendy is the fact that 99.99999 of people down there don't give a rats behind what colour you are.

Then we have the Canada... For a variety of reasons I spend a fair bit of time in the USA. Comparing the 2 I can honestly say that racism is much more pronounced in Canada, but we are in denial. Down there I have never been refused service based on skin colour. If I have the cash it is all. There are entire malls in some places that if you are the wrong shade you dare not enter up here.Down there, if a kid can play they make the team regardless of ancestry. A large city close to Vancouver's first 2 rep hockey teams are solely one colour (it isn't white) and have yet to lose by less then 9 goals. The tier 3 team is undefeated. A mosque close to my house is routinely vandalized. Unless it makes the news no one comes to help. Look no further than the stereotypical poaching thread in many Canadian Forums. Like it or not, the first assumption is the person is of the a certain background. Down in the States they just want the person hung!

I am not saying that the States doesn't have problems. But honestly, they are more socio-economical than race based. There are white ghettos, black ghettos, latin ghettos, asian ghettos, but strangely most middle class and higher areas are mixed race!
I went to school (university), worked and lived in the United States. My wife is American, Both my kids were born in the US.

I disagree.

There simply is no comparison to me.

I lived in the mid west and east coast - both very different - but both had the same underlying issues.

I will say, and agree, however, socio-economic issues certainly are a major contributor to many issues and exasperate the division - but it's not the biggest factor.

That's my opinion, you have yours. We are just not on the same page.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:26 PM
Banned

Quote:

Give. Me. A. Break.

Racism was at its lowest point when a black president got elected. Since then everything has been about race.

When Obama sided with BLM any police brutality issue was nullified. You can't be president of a free country while supporting the group that calls for the killing of cops.

Want to see a racist organization? Look at BLM.

I support the players' right to protest, but the issue that they are protesting is pathetic at best, and probably self-inflicted according to hard data and crime stats.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yup