Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2017, 02:14 PM

Default Looking for flint rock

I can't seem to find flint rock in calgary .... need some to put together a old school bushcraft kit for my kids .
Old 09-24-2017, 03:21 PM

If you are looking for some for a kit (as opposed to finding it in the environment ), you can order it online from any of the black powder suppliers. You may even be able to get it from one of the outdoor stores in your area that supports the shooting sports.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 09-24-2017, 03:46 PM

You looking for elemental flint? Or ferrocerium fire starters? Ebay has plenty of the latter real cheap!
Old 09-24-2017, 03:59 PM

Fire starter
Old 09-24-2017, 04:41 PM

A rock or gem store in Calgary should have flint.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-24-2017, 07:20 PM

Natural flint doesn't occur in western alberta, the closest we have is chert. If you want a fire starting rod they sell them all over, fire with real flint and steel is a different matter. You'll need char cloth or chaga or..amadou to catch a spark from the real stuff.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:36 PM

Send me a PM. I can ship a small box for you. I have a bunch of chert rocks that send great sparks in my bushcraft kit I could pass on. Might have to dig it out of storage but I know I have a bunch.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:14 AM

Check out "Things Military" in NE Calgary. They stock Flintlock grade Flint.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 09-25-2017, 07:24 AM

Default England

Over there the streets are paved with the stuff as has been said not in Alberta.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:38 AM

I want a big box of flint to try to learn flint knapping.

Does anyone know of a place in Alberta or BC ... likely BC that has easy to access flint deposits?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-25-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I want a big box of flint to try to learn flint knapping.

Does anyone know of a place in Alberta or BC ... likely BC that has easy to access flint deposits?

Flint nodules occur in limestone. You need a big piece of flint to create a blade big enough to make into an arrow head. It's a shame we don't have it here, I like knapping a lot. I actually considered shipping over a container from England when I was there. Containers aren't that expensive to ship.

Most of the really nice knapped items I've seen in Alberta are made of rock from a long ways away. The natives had a good..very good transportation system going on.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Flint nodules occur in limestone. You need a big piece of flint to create a blade big enough to make into an arrow head. It's a shame we don't have it here, I like knapping a lot. I actually considered shipping over a container from England when I was there. Containers aren't that expensive to ship.

Most of the really nice knapped items I've seen in Alberta are made of rock from a long ways away. The natives had a good..very good transportation system going on.
Yup. I was seriously thinking about that when we watched a guy working flint in France. He had a cool shop and did a great job and could make almost anything.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-27-2017, 01:20 PM

There's an outfit down in the US called Smoke Fire News. They put out a newsletter each month for reenactors. They also sell a number of products including English flint chards for fire lighting. I make up fire lighting kits that include a fire steel, a flint chard, a sample of char cloth and instruction sheet. That's where I get my flints from.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:52 AM

Default Flint

I have access to flint everyday if interested in buying some. I'm in Saint John New Brunswick Canada.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:02 PM

oops. old thread.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-26-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint lady View Post
I have access to flint everyday if interested in buying some. I'm in Saint John New Brunswick Canada.

Funny I was just on the east coast and wondering if there was any flint there.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Over there the streets are paved with the stuff as has been said not in Alberta.
Was in Germany and literally fell over a chunk on a trail . My souvenir, was at an old Hun grave site.
Grizz